• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Xbox Scorpio will be a ~6 TFLOP system (v PS4K's 4.14), unveil soon, Fall 17

Power and all that, sure whatever. I´ll bite.

What i do not buy at all, is an announcement "soon" and then the launch being in fall 2017. At least over a year. No way that´s happening. Shit, the actual new gen Xbox One was announced 6 months before release.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
The floodgates of the hardware rumors really opened today, huh?

I'm doubtful, my gut tells me the two systems will be fairly comparable. It seems like everyone wants to think the XB1+ will be stronger than the PS4K simply to pull a 180 on the power gap this gen.

As long as both of the systems are powerful and comparable, I'll be happy.

What bothers me is that no matter how powerful the + models will be they'll still be held back by the ps4/X1 versions of their games.

Omni

Well... if we're being honest I think we all expected MS to do something in order to make sure that their console isn't so far behind in terms of power again.

4x seems like a lot - mid-gen - though. But who knows.

So Microsoft is going to announce an upgraded Xbox One at E3 that won't be available until late next year? How does that sound like a good idea to anyone at MS?

_woLf

just call it the ps5

just call it the xbox 2....3? 4? NEXTBOX?

i really do not like how these are being talked about like a mid-life upgrade and not a brand new fucking console generation

thuway

Neo is rumored to launch this year actually. Possibly around November. It seemed MS was caught off guard by this.

Also I doubt it'll be 6 Teraflops, but we'll see.

If Microsoft goes all in on Vega- than it could be a very real possiblity.

Euron

Wait so it'll be 4 times as powerful as the Xbox One yet still have the Xbox One branding and games will come on Xbox One discs? So many people are going to be confused by this.

oldergamer

So if this is true, I'm assuming this is when using HBM memory which seems more inline with what they were doing in regards to embedded memory. I know DX10 helps position MS in a place where they could handle annual hardware revisions.

The real question is Sony locked out from using a high bandwidth architecture without breaking forward compatibility?

Laying waste to the ps4k. Scorpio rules all!

54b3265c44706110c8852c3d1f3e51c5.jpg

Power is probably the last reason why PS4 is winning the console war. This narrative really only exists on forums.

Yuppppp. Considering MS just announced today they are exiting the phone business, them reading the markets they compete in isn't exactly their strongest suit.

Boke1879

just call it the ps5

just call it the xbox 2....3? 4? NEXTBOX?

i really do not like how these are being talked about like a mid-life upgrade and not a brand new fucking console generation

Because it's not. You're hardly going to see a huge jump in graphics right now. this is just to keep in you in an ecosystem while giving you some bells and whistles to enjoy.

Unknown?

Sounds like they were caught off guard again by Sony and now they're scrambling to match them but will be late.

Sulik2

6 TFLOPs is a new console gen. Phil Spencer righting the ship here. And with x86 full backwards compatibility is guaranteed. I can't wait to see what they have for this beast of a machine if this rumor is real.

Sounds like they were caught off guard again by Sony and now they're scrambling to match them but will be late.

You don't have a next gen console ready for production in Fall 2017 two months after Neo rumors start. You move up announcement time table because of the Neo, but releasing a console with next-gen power is a three year process. This was started the day Phil took over I bet.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
But still better then Neo which is all that matters.
Even if it's within 10-20% more powerful than the NEO, I still don't see MS putting much dents in Sony's sales to be perfectly honest. This generation is beyond power wars at this point.

Griss

Three reasons for them to do this:

1) Be the 'best console for VR' - this could be a big deal, and it's achievable for them with Rift support.

2) Be the 'best place to play multiplats' - this is currently the PS4, and it's killing them, because we live in a world where exclusives just don't matter a damn any more. Wherever is the best place to play the multiplats is the place to be.

3) With their exclusives now going to PC as well, they need to be closer to PC-level power to be able to maintain the illusion that Xbox is as good a place to play those games. The XB1 as it stands could not do that.

It's a solid plan to fight the PS4's dominance. And being the stronger console did, imo, do a lot for the PS4.

Mooreberg

So Microsoft is going to announce an upgraded Xbox One at E3 that won't be available until late next year? How does that sound like a good idea to anyone at MS?
And Nintendo will not be showing hardware that is supposed to be out ten months from now. This is going to be one of the most entertaining E3's ever, but not for the right reasons.

etta

my hard graphic balls
From the other thread:

Interesting how they said they decided to announce Scorpio this year instead of the next so as to have something against the PS4 Neo.
Originally, Microsoft had no plans to announce Scorpio in 2016, preferring to wait until next year, possibly at their own event prior to E3. This would be in keeping with the company's existing precedent for new hardware launches. This was timed to combat expected plans by Sony to announce and launch the Neo in 2017. However, after GDC, evidence industry-wide has indicated that Sony's timetable for the Neo either has accelerated or was always intended for this Fall. Because of this and other factors, Microsoft is feeling pressure to announce both its new, smaller Xbox One console and the upgraded Scorpio — colloquially referred to internally as Xbox One-Two — at this year's E3, or a last-minute event just prior to the LA convention.
Xbox One Two??
Based ekim.

Well no more Mattrick or Kinect, so it's a huge difference.

well we had those rumors all the way up until the reveal of the ps4 almost I feel. It was a long 7 or 8 months of rumors that xbox would be more powerful, I think everyone was counting on it then apparently MS went with the kinect side

Top Bottom