• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Xbox Scorpio will be a ~6 TFLOP system (v PS4K's 4.14), unveil soon, Fall 17

_woLf

Because it's not. You're hardly going to see a huge jump in graphics right now. this is just to keep in you in an ecosystem while giving you some bells and whistles to enjoy.

4x as powerful as an xbox one.

that's a new generation of console.

I wonder how this will go with PS4K launching 8-12 months earlier. Should be a fun ride.

But if XB is more powerful I guess Polygon will start using resolution and performances differences in their reviews!

But can it run Crysis?

I dont think Crytek have enough money to port Crysis to it so we will never know.

Mikey Jr.

The lack of generational "reboots" is going to hurt MS hard I think.

By the end of 2017, PS4 is going to have what, 30 million lead over XB1?

So what if MS release a slightly stronger box? Why is someone switching to a different console?

With the hard reboots, it was easier. You started fresh. Now? There really is no fresh.

What bothers me is that no matter how powerful the + models will be they'll still be held back by the ps4/X1 versions of their games.

Exactly, which is why I am more comfortable with a jump in power that lets this generation live up to its potential - but nothing so big that it's a waste of power and money that goes underutilized.

I'm very curious to see how this all plays out. I'm all for closing the gap between the consoles and enabling VR + 4K video.

mejin

If they plan to launch 1 year after Neo is on the market, then is absolutely expected to have a better hardware.

But XB1 Slim is really waste of space. They will try to lure some people till Scorpio. It will be a terrible death just like WiiU.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to laugh so much if this turns out to be true and Microsoft aims for a deliberately more powerful console than the PS4 revision, only to still be outsold by a considerable margin worldwide. I totally see this shit happening like the PS2.

Well... if we're being honest I think we all expected MS to do something in order to make sure that their console isn't so far behind in terms of power again.

4x seems like a lot - mid-gen - though. But who knows.

It's probably that powerful so that it can run oculus rift natively, instead of having an external processing unit a la PS4 & PSVR. Otherwise, all that bump in power would do is go wasted as the X1 & PS4 continue to remain the baseline for development for years & years to come, especially for 3rd party.

Josman

Wasn't it Polygon who stated that the X1 was going to be a lot more powerful than the PS4 prior to reveal? More specifically that Arthur Gies clown.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Seems to be a good amount more, much more than the gap now.

In percentage terms? About the same, actually, funnily enough (somewhere a bit less than 50%). Although it would depend on the make up of their memory system too on this one. This spec is very believable in that timeframe anyway, may be 12 months out from Sony's.

JaggedSac

I'm going to laugh so much if this turns out to be true and Microsoft aims for a deliberately more powerful console than the PS4 revision, only to still be outsold by a considerable margin worldwide. I totally see this shit happening like the PS2.

I imagine they expect that, which is why they are trying to add the pc audience to the user base.

Venom Fox

Banned
No chance that it'll have a 2tflop lead over Neo. NOT A CHANCE. Remember not to believe everything you hear. Feels like 2013 again.

Seems to be a good amount more, much more than the gap now. But damn yall already out here doing damage control

If you go by 4 times XBOX 1 it is not a big gap comapre to NEO
If they reach there 6tflops target then it is .
So it's just a waiting game now , should be interesting either way .

spannicus

Why wouldnt people want the console where games perform the best? Thats whats happening now.

AmyS

Nintendo NX console is fucked.

Wait, NO it's not!

B7bIDMi.jpg

:)

4x the power of the Xbone? Assuming that's actually true, that would be a huge discrepancy. I wouldn't have any hopes of the base Xbone running games well in that scenario.

Wait a 4x more powerful console announced at E3 2016 but releasing only in fall 2017?

RIP Xbox One

Yeah, there's no way. This would completely kill the Xbone for over a year.

That's pretty powerful. Since it seems they're moving to PC/XBox being one, I'll probably spend the money on a 1080, but damn. Wonder what it'll cost. (Not that I completely believe that number. Seems high to sell at a comfortable price point.)

Something isn't adding up. Why would Sony launch an incremental upgrade if MS is essentially going next gen next year?

Wtf is happening. Who asked for this to happen?

Griss

I'm just so glad that the twin techs of 4k TVs and VR seem to have spurred the console makers to get their acts in gear regarding power again. As someone who cares about graphics but has never had a gaming PC it's always exciting to get a bit closer to that ideal graphical fidelity the top PCs have.

If this rumour is true MS is probably getting my money for the first time since I bought a 360 way back in 2006.

Something isn't adding up. Why would Sony launch an incremental upgrade if MS is essentially going next gen next year?

Wtf is happening. Who asked for this to happen?

When someone gets their ass kicked in a generation, they go as early as possible and as hard as possible to compensate. MS knows that they can't just keep on keeping on. This gen is lost. Time for them to start the new one, even if it's called a backwards compatible 'iteration'.

Zophar

Where's that Jennifer Lawrence "okay" .gif when we need it?

MS is barely committed to Xbox as it is right now, and they're going to put out a new loss-leader console just to end a narrative about the Xbox One? The only people who really care about the performance gap are Xbox fanboys, I'd wager -- especially if it's all going to be cross-compatible with a PC anyway.

Top Bottom