• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Xbox Scorpio will be a ~6 TFLOP system (v PS4K's 4.14), unveil soon, Fall 17

thuway

Something isn't adding up. Why would Sony launch an incremental upgrade if MS is essentially going next gen next year?

Wtf is happening. Who asked for this to happen?

If this all pans out, it could possibly force Sony to reevaluate performance parameters for Neo. Should be a very interesting development.

Something isn't adding up. Why would Sony launch an incremental upgrade if MS is essentially going next gen next year?

Because it isn't next-gen. Its still an incremental console. The big jump in power is probably for native Oculus Rift support.

Yogg

6 TFLOPs is a new console gen. Phil Spencer righting the ship here. And with x86 full backwards compatibility is guaranteed. I can't wait to see what they have for this beast of a machine if this rumor is real.

They won't screw the XBOne owners like a real new gen would, and same for the Neo. So we're looking at an incremental iteration that will play the same games, but better (and have marketing rely on that to push the new hardware).

Though I wouldn't be surprised if a year from now they start anouncing new-hardware-specific games.

They'll need to go modular very fast (as in, replaceable parts instead or recycling the whole system) or they'll end up clearly losing to PC.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

A generational leap at 4 years is a little rushed in my opinion, but as long as the XBO can play the same games as the 'new' console it will be fine.

Spaghetti

Seems MS are trying to recapture mindshare by sheer brute force of superior hardware.

That's kinda cool, but also missing the point of why the Xbox One stalled in the first place. Power was only really one part of the equation. Sony went for the hearts and minds angle and it paid off enormously.

Better hardware isn't going to matter if gamers don't really trust Microsoft again yet.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Exactly, which is why I am more comfortable with a jump in power that lets this generation live up to its potential - but nothing so big that it's a waste of power and money that goes underutilized.

I'm very curious to see how this all plays out. I'm all for closing the gap between the consoles and enabling VR + 4K video.

Yeah the way I see it once you upped the res for ps4/X1 games to 4K then what ?
Also, I don't think power has been the main reason over Ps4 wins maybe and more the catastrophic reveal of the Xbox.
Maybe I'm wrong but to this day I still meet people who plays and still think Xbox can't play used games.

Even though I'm not really for incremential updates for consoles I can understand why they do that but the man problem is will we really uses the all the power of those new consoles considering the games will still have to be played n the regular models?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
All you naysayers will be lining up to get that 6TF box when Microsoft decides to put 37 games in the bundle and FIDDY DOLLAR CASH

If Xbox doesn't rebrand this as a new console I still think it will hurt their sales. The majority of console gamers are on PS4 and team Sony. Why would I want to get the Xbox 1.5 when I can get the PS4.5? So much good will has been earned with the PS4.

JaggedSac

Seems MS are trying to recapture mindshare by sheer brute force of superior hardware.

That's kinda cool, but also missing the point of why the Xbox One stalled in the first place. Power was only really one part of the equation. Sony went for the hearts and minds angle and it paid off enormously.

Better hardware isn't going to matter if gamers don't really trust Microsoft again yet.

It certainly doesn't hurt. Doubt they would price themselves terribly again.

T.O.P

Banned
I can only say

giphy.gif

This, it's gonna be fun

I pretty much moved 99% of my gaming time to PC so i don't really care that much anymore, wich helps

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Why wouldnt people want the console where games perform the best? Thats whats happening now.

So then what is your explanation for how well the PS2 sold? Yes, performance and better hardware are additional excuses for why the PS4 is selling better now, but I wager that Sony's Playstation is simply the more popular item worldwide, which, even when faced by a more powerful Xbox, will still outsell it because it's the preferred brand.

JP

Fantastic news if true. :)

Not sure that the end of 2017 is a such a good time to launch though as many people will have already bought the Xbox One, PS4 & Neo this generation and there will already be "well informed" rumours of the the PS5 floating around.

It'll still be worth a look though if they manage to match the launch prices of the PS4 and Xbox One.

Lucifon

Late 2017 seems unrealistic if Sony are arriving later this year with the ps4k. I can't see MS just giving them a further lead for a year.

Jerm411

All these rumors, the news, speculation..............

tumblr_o4jygdm38Z1ueggo3o1_500.gif

Lol I must be the only one that cares about the Slim announcement....can't wait for design, cost, release, etc.

Faustek

As with the Neo power rumours take this with a pinch of salt and throw it away.

Other than that it'll be fun to see how much this E3 will fall out.

Varg

Banned
I agree. PS4 being more powerful isn't why it's winning.

They're many reasons , and power is one of them. Casuals look at a few things

What's the price and how good is my next dude bro shooter gonna look and perform . If the rumors are true this will be very big

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Because it isn't next-gen. Its still an incremental console. The big jump in power is probably for native Oculus Rift support.
They going in hard with this facebook/Oculus partnership huh?
Better than beating that AR drum which seemed waaaaaaaays off still.

This doesn't make sense to announce it at this years E3 at all. Why the hell would someone buy a xb1 if they know a newer better one is right around the corner. Also the PS4 Neo is supposed to be released this year right? MS would be crazy to give Sony such a head start.

Lnkn52

If Xbox doesn't rebrand this as a new console I still think it will hurt their sales. The majority of console gamers are on PS4 and team Sony. Why would I want to get the Xbox 1.5 when I can get the PS4.5? So much good will has been earned with the PS4.

4.5 > 1.5

Math

dugdug

Banned
Why wouldnt people want the console where games perform the best? Thats whats happening now.

That's only part of the reason why PS4 is beating XB1, though. Coming out with a more powerful box doesn't negate consumer feelings towards MS, their smaller library, attitude towards indies, etc...

Like, yeah, all of those have improved a little over time, but, there's still plenty of reason to not choose an MS console. They're going to have to show more than just higher numbers for people to jump ship. It will help, sure, but, there's still plenty of ground to cover.

Ray Down

Banned
Launching Fall 2017?

Being announced E3 2016?

Won't this absolutely murder their current XB1 sales prospects?!

It do some damage, I'm surprised Microsoft is letting Sony have a year like window for the Neo.

Especially since they had a big lead over the PS3 when it launched and this gen they launched the same time as Sony.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Even if it's within 10-20% more powerful than the NEO, I still don't see MS putting much dents in Sony's sales to be perfectly honest. This generation is beyond power wars at this point.

You are missing the point. It will be more powerful. That is the main point. Something Xbox fans can lord over PS fans. Sales are not relevant.

Averon

I can see MS going with Zen. If so, Sony might need to re-evaluate going with just a OC'd Jaguar.

However, would going from Jaugar to Zen fuck up BC?

Faustek

They're many reasons , and power is one of them. Casuals look at a few things

What's the price and how good is my next dude bro shooter gonna look and perform . If the tumors are true this will be very big

Priiiiiiiice being the number one reason to start with. Then shitty introduction, then power.

Boke1879

If this all pans out, it could possibly force Sony to reevaluate performance parameters for Neo. Should be a very interesting development.

It won't force them to do anything because no matter what the baseline will be the OG PS4 and Xbox. So Scorpio having all that power really makes no sense to me right now. It only makes sense if they want to just say they are more powerful.

You have people right now hating the idea of the iterative updates simply because they feel it's to soon. Not to mention if it launches fall next year. Sony is still in the lead. PS4's will still be selling, and giving the PS4Neo an essential head start will still keep them in 2nd place.

LoveCake

As the games will have to work on the current Xbox One I will carry on with what I have got now and just buy a Xbox Two (Ninth Generation) when that comes out, I'm not going to fall into this trap at all.

I know Microsoft and Sony said that the Eight Generation wouldn't be as long as the last but four/five years is ridiculous.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I like this rumour. It would bring balance to the Force.

Also it would mean guaranteed great PC ports going forward.

THE:MILKMAN

Actually do we even know that the Neo dev kits are final retail clock speeds/specs?

What would the GPU at 911Mhz have to be bumped to for 5-6TF?

If Polaris based then they are are said to start at a clock of 1.2Ghz?

Griss

Late 2017 seems unrealistic if Sony are arriving later this year with the ps4k. I can't see MS just giving them a further lead for a year.

MS has lost this gen. What's the point of arriving day and date with a similar machine to the PS4k/Neo? It would have no effect.

On the other hand, introducing a console that might actually be able to do games at 4k/30fps (while the PS4k will not) would be a massive selling point for them - something they just don't currently have.

Better to wait a year and fire live ammo than arrive on time firing blanks.

damn, this will make me skip ps4 neo and get the new xbox. ill just keep my ps4.

Exactly what I'm thinking. I've been considering buying a Neo and PSVR, now that plan is on indefinite hold until we find out MS's plans. If I'm MS, that's exactly what I want consumers to be doing.

Top Bottom