• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Positive Female Characters - Anita Sarkeesian - The Scythian (Sword and Sworcery)

The gender of Scythian isn't a mystery in the game, btw. When you swing the sword, you can see Scythian wave her long hair around and makes a bit girly grunts.
ib0JlDsDlSHLsS.gif

The girl you meet in the sunlit meadow looks a lot like you with the skirt, compared to the Logfella and business dude who are the males wearing trousers.
ibkkKjOS6GU61E.png

i3Gma8LgbUR44.png

Also, Scythian isn't totally bland, she has a personality as can be surmised from her inner thoughts that are noted down in the Megatome.
iXU9a5N0NFTs7.png

4Tran

That was a good video. I may have to pick up Swords and Sworcery one of these days. I don't think that any of Sarkeesian's points were revolutionary, but I don't think they're supposed to be; at least not for people who have been paying attention to this subject. However, I do find it interesting that a lot of players thought that the Scythian was male to begin with.

Blues1990

I had thoroughly enjoyed watching the video, and she had made some excellent points on how fictional characters (on both sides of the gender coin & not just for video games) should be portrayed.

I'm curious to see what other heroines she will be focusing on, such as Terra Branford or the other female protagonists of Final Fantasy VI.

(Waiting for someone to inevitably Avatar Quote me.)

A minor question that I struggle with is settling something like this, where the protagonist's gender doesn't matter at all is OK but the "man with boobs" trope isn't. I guess I'm unsure of where that line is or what makes this OK. I've personally always been OK with a character like this--like others have said, a female character shouldn't need a reason to be female--but trying to hold these two ideas together is a bit baffling to me--likely because I don't have the right grasp of the "man with boobs" trope in the first place.

I enjoyed the video, especially her thoughts on the ending . . . but I had this niggling question throughout.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I thought the video was nice. I kinda liked the game, but aside from a few times, I didn't really think of her gender. :D

Yrael

Wow, interesting first video. I'll definitely look into playing this game.

This is a great quote from the end:

"We do need women-centric stories of all kinds. When archetypal fantasy heroes in games are overwhelmingly portrayed as men, it reinforces the idea that men's experiences are universal and that women's experiences are gendered - that women should be able to empathise with male characters but that men needn't be able to identify with women's stories."

The view that "men are people, women are women" is very deeply ingrained - it's what leads to not only the Smurfette principle, but also the idea that female participation and inclusion needs to be justified in a way that men's representation never is.

Dice//

Banned
The view that "men are people, women are women" is very deeply ingrained - it's what leads to not only the Smurfette principle, but also the idea that female participation and inclusion needs to be justified in a way that men's representation never is.

ma6wYCp.gif

Which is probably why that "I don't mind female characters ---- but they shouldn't do it 'just because'" comment really irks me.

4Tran

A minor question that I struggle with is settling something like this, where the protagonist's gender doesn't matter at all is OK but the "man with boobs" trope isn't. I guess I'm unsure of where that line is or what makes this OK. I've personally always been OK with a character like this--like others have said, a female character shouldn't need a reason to be female--but trying to hold these two ideas together is a bit baffling to me--likely because I don't have the right grasp of the "man with boobs" trope in the first place.

I enjoyed the video, especially her thoughts on the ending . . . but I had this niggling question throughout.
Sarkeesian's point is that there's nothing intrinsically male or female about heroism or going for adventure. So when you have a generic heroic story, why can't it be a woman instead of a man. A "man with boobs" would then be a female character given male traits for no good reason.

Which is probably why that "I don't mind female characters ---- but they shouldn't do it 'just because'" comment really irks me.
Exactly, games should be able to use female characters "just because". And in fact, more of them should do it. Heroes are heroes, and gender usually doesn't factor into it.

Was hoping these videos would would feature more than one character per, maybe with a theme like the trope videos. Either the industry sucks more than I thought (very possible), a lot of people are getting skipped (very possible), or this series is going to go on forever (doubtful).

"Man with boobs" can be tasteful if it's very deliberate and there are normal female characters surrounding this one. An example of that are Arya Stark and Brienne of Tarth. Westeros is a very sexist kingdom and those two challenge that norm.

Note though that I'm not saying being a sword fighter is intrinsically masculine. It's not universally so, there just is a perception of as much in Westeros, some other fictions, and many parts of our own history.

But it doesn't have to be. Writing fiction means taking liberties, and you don't have to write men as sexist pigs to make convincing fantasy.

Bladenic

I had thoroughly enjoyed watching the video, and she had made some excellent points on how fictional characters (on both sides of the gender coin & not just for video games) should be portrayed.

I'm curious to see what other heroines she will be focusing on, such as Terra Branford or the other female protagonists of Final Fantasy VI.

(Waiting for someone to inevitably Avatar Quote me.)

I don't think she's mentioned the FF series at all (or any jrpgs?). The FF series has had some pretty great female characters honestly, would be a shame to not see at least Yuna or Ashe mentioned. Would be sorta funny if Lightning was mentioned.

Sarkeesian's point is that there's nothing intrinsically male or female about heroism or going for adventure. So when you have a generic heroic story, why can't it be a woman instead of a man. A "man with boobs" would then be a female character given male traits for no good reason.

After watching several of her videos, I get the sense that there is more to her judgement than just that. I do not believe she would have considered it a positive example if the game's aesthetics allowed for more detail that accentuated the character's female form (and everything else stayed the same).

I am curious to know if she considers any sexualized female a positive example.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

"We do need women-centric stories of all kinds. When archetypal fantasy heroes in games are overwhelmingly portrayed as men, it reinforces the idea that men's experiences are universal and that women's experiences are gendered - that women should be able to empathise with male characters but that men needn't be able to identify with women's stories."

Indeed. People whining about how the Scythian doesn't have a fleshed out personality or is a blank slate or whatever, and therefore isn't a good character, are missing the point of the video, which is, well, this very idea above.

Many people enjoy characters like Link and other male blank slate characters. But if it's a woman "oh she's bland and boring"? If one thinks all mute protagonists suck all the time, meh, fine, but they still have their fans, so it's just personal preference then and doesn't make the Scythian a bad character any more than Link is.

Not to mention, Samus, the most famous female character people always cite as an example, was a million times better when she was an almost mute blank slate than when they tried to give her a "personality"...

After watching several of her videos, I get the sense that there is more to her judgement than just that. I do not believe she would have considered it a positive example if the game's aesthetics allowed for more detail that accentuated the character's female form (and everything else stayed the same).

I am curious to know if she considers any sexualized female a positive example.

Considering there are very few sexualised female videogame characters that are actually complex and their sexuality or sexual escapades are explored, maybe she won't go there but I don't see her as sex negative if there is agency and consent (kind of rare in videogames) so she could find some. I can't think of any great examples from the top of my head (Bayonetta is probably out of the question), to be honest.

Maybe we should be looking for sex positive female characters than just sexualisation. A Bioware game? Saints Row 4? Triss in Witcher 2? Anya in Wolfenstein TNO?

I wonder what her views are on Amanda Ripley. I've not heard anyone mention her as a positive female character, but I definitely felt a strong bond with her going through that shit. Not to mention she had the knack of saying exactly what I was thinking....like the transit tunnel in ch 18. Fuck you, space subway, fuck you.

Yea Amanda Ripley is a great char... once I'm done with Bloodborne I'm going all in to beat Isolation.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Indeed. People whining about how the Scythian doesn't have a fleshed out personality or is a blank slate or whatever, and therefore isn't a good character, are missing the point of the video, which is, well, this very idea above.

Many people enjoy characters like Link and other male blank slate characters. But if it's a woman "oh she's bland and boring"? If one thinks all mute protagonists suck all the time, meh, fine, but they still have their fans, so it's just personal preference then and doesn't make the Scythian a bad character any more than Link is.

Not to mention, Samus, the most famous female character people always cite as an example, was a million times better when she was an almost mute blank slate than when they tried to give her a "personality"...

Link has those adorable facial expressions in Wind Waker. Where are the Scythian's facial expressions, huh?

HGH

Banned
Considering there are very few sexualised female videogame characters that are actually complex and their sexuality or sexual escapades are explored, maybe she won't go there but I don't see her as sex negative if there is agency and consent (kind of rare in videogames) so she could find some. I can't think of any great examples from the top of my head (Bayonetta is probably out of the question), to be honest.

Maybe we should be looking for sex positive female characters than just sexualisation. A Bioware game? Saints Row 4? Triss in Witcher 2? Anya in Wolfenstein TNO?

I wanna see her take on Drakengard's Zero, if only because that was a character intentionally developed to own everything they do and be the opposite of stereotypical female characters, but she'd probably be called too much of a villain with negative/male behavior.

I can't think of any great examples from the top of my head (Bayonetta is probably out of the question), to be honest.

I have not played Bayonetta and only seen a few videos of it, so I could be completely off base here, but why is Bayonetta out of the question?

If we remove the hyper sexualization of the character, all references to it, and swap the character's gender, is it not the same exact game? Or, lets say we just remove the hyper sexualization; will it then pass muster?

ArjanN

I get that's what she was going for, but I still feel this specific character wasn't a great choice.

Left-side bat from Pong for best female character.

Usually when someone's opinion is surprising it means I had a preconceived notion of something on some level and didn't know it, so that's usually a good thing.

I haven't played or followed the game, but I didn't realize the character was female all this time - which makes the video's subject surprising twice, and imo means this was a good choice for her to start with.

Wait, the Scythian is a girl?!

SAMUS 2.0

tumblr_mvd88vuo7H1rue9e8o1_1280.jpg
More gender references in the megatome.
ihClNzKfef6YQ.png

iG9zLt7CILt6O.png

Usually when someone's opinion is surprising it means I had a preconceived notion of something on some level and didn't know it, so that's usually a good thing.

I haven't played or followed the game, but I didn't realize the character was female all this time - which makes the video's subject surprising twice, and imo means this was a good choice for her to start with.
Yup, that we might have thought Scythian was a dude goes to prove her point on default being male but a girl can be the same hero.

scrambles

Neo Member
Several problems with this video.
As Anita said, there are references to past adventure games within.
The trigon is a reference to Zelda, and the unknown gender is a reference to Samus.
However, Anita says that this is done subtly in a way to show that women can be the hero just as well as men can. These design choices however, could simply be interpreted as an homage.
The game is more accurately described as both a tribute and reimagining of old adventure tropes..both the foundation and the deconstruction. A character who powers down instead of powering up, who talks instead of being silent, who dies rather than lives, etc. It's a clever design structure, but it can't really be said whether this was a gender-based decision.
Anita also appears somewhat contradictory as she praises the game's subtlety, specifically saying "not like a story twist like in the metroid reveal", but then goes on to point out the "twist gender reveal" hidden in the book.
One could even go further, as to say the book is actually used to hide the character's identity, rather than expose it. It is only the players who are interested in reading about the characters who will find out the gender. Being as it is, the developers actually had intent to somewhat hide the gender. And with that, comes the potential interpretation that they did so in order to maximize sales.

Her segue into the pixellation of the character is really awkward as well. I found myself asking several times during the video whether this was a game review or a commentary on gender roles, because it seems like there are only a couple nods to the latter.

Assumption of a male character being the "hero" come from thousands of years of males being "the warriors" and "questers" in history. Granted, there are women that have fallen into this role as well, but in general, we have societal evidence that males typically have this role. This is a function of the human brain, to try and solve puzzles by the information we have available. Because history and society holds these answers, we fill in the blank. This is not a problem with gender based stereotypes or conditioning, this is a reflection of the real world. One might as well ask why males aren't seen as child-rearing. While there are certainly men who are, the only prompt the mistake lends is as a mocking retort, not a dissertation on male roles in society.

If you want a great commentary on gender roles in society, go watch star trek the next generation. The Klingons are the epitomy of gender role conflict. From Wharf being a father figure to Klingon women being both attractive and dominant. It is because the idea of war and danger comes directly from our history that the protagonist is seen as male. This is why TNG is a brilliant space-drama.

Finally, the death ending certainly happens in many games. It is a design choice, and again, more akin to a trope deconstruction than a commentary on societal gender roles.

All in all, I found this video to be inexact and somewhat forcing an issue that doesn't exist. That is to say, S&S is a great game, but hardly a commentary on gender roles. I agree with the last part of the video which goes on to say that we simply need more stories involving women. However, this video simply isn't necessary as a PSA. More and more developers are starting to use female characters for many reasons, like product differentiation, word of mouth, mainstream audiences, etc.

So, nothing that shows what gender the character is?

I don't know. When I think of great female character designs, my first thought always circles back to that female DaSo II concept art. It was perfect in that, through the armor design and lack of a helm, you could easily recognize that this character is female and that every piece of armor she wore was functional and necessary without showing (much) skin.

Is the author of this series a (hardcore) gamer? Not to disparage or look down on her choice, but her first pick could and should have been better if she were.

Henkka

Banned
I wonder if she'll only feature playable protagonists in these videos. Protagonists are almost never the most interesting characters in videogames, male or female. I could see her excluding fan favourites like the Boss because she arguably exists mostly in relation to the male protagonist. Same could be said for other fantastic female characters like Elena Fisher.

If all her picks end up being female playable protagonists who favour non-violent conflict resolution and challenge typical gender roles and can't be described as "men with boobs", I don't see this being a long-running series.

Several problems with this video.
As Anita said, there are references to past adventure games within.
The trigon is a reference to Zelda, and the unknown gender is a reference to Samus.
However, Anita says that this is done subtly in a way to show that women can be the hero just as well as men can. These design choices however, could simply be interpreted as an homage.
Yes, they could be interpreted as such if you wish.

The game is more accurately described as both a tribute and reimagining of old adventure tropes..both the foundation and the deconstruction. A character who powers down instead of powering up, who talks instead of being silent, who dies rather than lives, etc. It's a clever design structure, but it can't really be said whether this was a gender-based decision.
Interesting points.
Regarding intent though, that's not really relevant. What's relevant is that we can observe it and see what we see, i.e. that it's a character that breaks the default assumption.

Anita also appears somewhat contradictory as she praises the game's subtlety, specifically saying "not like a story twist like in the metroid reveal", but then goes on to point out the "twist gender reveal" hidden in the book.
I don't really see how it's any contradictory. The point about Samus is that it's thrown like "surprise surprise, you just played as female character!". In this game, her gender is just the way it is.

One could even go further, as to say the book is actually used to hide the character's identity, rather than expose it. It is only the players who are interested in reading about the characters who will find out the gender. Being as it is, the developers actually had intent to somewhat hide the gender.
That's one way to look at it, and yes, I'd agree that it's actually somewhat the point. She is a character who people assume to be a man, so it makes sense to not be that obvious about it. If it was obvious right from the start, it wouldn't make the player think in the same way, "oh hey yeah, why did I assume it's a male?".

And with that, comes the potential interpretation that they did so in order to maximize sales.
Well, that's quite an interpretation, but sure it's possible if you wanna go there. But then again, why even make it a woman at all in that case? Why even make such an artsy game at all if you're trying to maximize sales?

But then again, the intent behind it doesn't really matter for the outcome.

Assumption of a male character being the "hero" come from thousands of years of males being "the warriors" and "questers" in history. Granted, there are women that have fallen into this role as well, but in general, we have societal evidence that males typically have this role. This is a function of the human brain, to try and solve puzzles by the information we have available. Because history and society holds these answers, we fill in the blank.
Very true...

This is not a problem with gender based stereotypes or conditioning, this is a reflection of the real world. One might as well ask why males aren't seen as child-rearing. While there are certainly men who are, the only prompt the mistake lends is as a mocking retort, not a dissertation on male roles in society.
..but now, this appears to be some weird reasoning (no offense).

Yes, in humanity's history there have been pretty strong gender roles. This is due to multiple, multiple reasons. And yes, those roles still affect our actions and thinking to this day.

This doesn't mean that it's 100% fine to just continue with those ancient gender roles. We're at a point in which we can deeply analyse ourselves and our culture and we can understand that we can do things differently. We can understand that hey, a hero can be a woman too. We can understand that it's even important. We can absolutely break assumptions such as the one that a hero is a man.

Finally, the death ending certainly happens in many games. It is a design choice, and again, more akin to a trope deconstruction than a commentary on societal gender roles.
It certainly happens in a lot of games yes, but in this case it is quite important too for the character I'd say.

All in all, I found this video to be inexact and somewhat forcing an issue that doesn't exist. That is to say, S&S is a great game, but hardly a commentary on gender roles.
How is it forcing an issue that doesn't exist, if you admit that there is the assumption that a hero is male?

And it is absolutely a commentary on gender roles. I don't see how it could not be. It breaks a typical gender assumption in its very core.

So, nothing that shows what gender the character is?

I don't know. When I think of great female character designs, my first thought always circles back to that female DaSo II concept art. It was perfect in that, through the armor design and lack of a helm, you could easily recognize that this character is female and that every piece of armor she wore was functional and necessary without showing (much) skin.

Is the author of this series a (hardcore) gamer? Not to disparage or look down on her choice, but her first pick could and should have been better if she were.
I'm not sure if you actually watched the video. The gender is shown, it's just not an obvious thing.
edit: Ah sorry, I think I misunderstood you here. Yes, there's not really direct signs in the game to show her gender, but that's not Sarkeesian's point. She's not saying a female character shouldn't be seen as a female. This is also only the first video of the series.

I also think you kind of missed the point completely. Yes, your example of a great female character is one instance that could be shown. But it's also important to understand that there is ideed a strong assumption that a hero is a male by default unless shown otherwise, and that's why she picked this. I'm not sure if it was the best place to start with, but the reasoning is perfectly understandable and valid.

Finally, I have to ask if you have actually never heard of Sarkeesian. With all due respect, questioning her gaming background is a very gamergatish thing to do. Not to blame or accuse you of anything, but it just comes off weird.

Why does that matter at at all? This is the first video in a series and, other than the second video (I think), we have no idea what future episodes will feature.

Asking if she's a gamer, especially with the laughable "hardcore" attached to it, is silly.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
the unknown gender is a reference to Samus.
lol, what?
Being as it is, the developers actually had intent to somewhat hide the gender. And with that, comes the potential interpretation that they did so in order to maximize sales.
lol, what?!
This is a function of the human brain, to try and solve puzzles by the information we have available. Because history and society holds these answers, we fill in the blank. This is not a problem with gender based stereotypes or conditioning, this is a reflection of the real world.
lol, what?!?

You accuse a super-straightforward video containing nothing controversial of twisting the facts, and then you come up with this super-twisted "logic". Come on now.

Eidan

It kills me how you're always so right in these threads, and so wrong in the GoT threads.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
For all of the people saying they don't understand why The Scythian was chosen as a positive portrayal because she's barely a character at all and many didn't even realize she was a women is kinda the point.

Far too often, it seems like "we" need an excuse to make a character female. This character needs to be female to serve this purpose for a male character. This character needs to be female because we want to invoke stereotypically female emotions to go along with our theme. This character needs to be female because we're going for sex appeal. Everything else? Well, default to male of course because male experiences are universal and can be appreciated by everyone. Anita directly makes this point in her video, we need to stop defaulting to male to tell a universal tale. We need to stop using female characters when we only want to portray a specific type of character or elicit a specific reaction. I personally refer to this phenomenon as Star Trek Alien syndrome.

Female characters are too often treated like classic Star Trek Aliens. Humans have a full spectrum of personality traits, emotions, and motivations, including logic or aggressive honor. Vulcuns only get to be logical. Klingons only get to be honorable warriors. Vulcuns and Klingons are like humans who are only allowed to express a narrow sliver of the human spectrum of potential. Women as characters are too often treated the same way. They aren't humans. They are Femaliens from the Star Trek universe.

One way to combat these sorts of portrayals is to erase the tendency for male as default when gender is utterly irrelevant. We need more casually female characters. Not female because they needed to be, not female because "we" want to put them on a pedestal and say "see?! I'm being progressive!. Just, female because roughly half of all humans are in fact female and yes, women do stuff.

I fully agree with you. People don't ask why when a character is male and yet when someone asks why not more females (and other minorities), people always ask "why a woman"? It shouldn't be a question at all. No one needs to justify the need for a female character, just like how most of the time, male characters and their existence isn't questioned.

Chel from portal in the opening and The scythian character.

Not sure how there is anything impressive about these female portrayals.They could just as well be male and it wouldn't make a difference.

Maybe that's what she considers a good portrayal ?

Or maybe the industry's best examples of female characters being minimalistic is indicative that games still have a long way to go.

Even with such a simple episode, people are still misinterpreting it lol

One could even go further, as to say the book is actually used to hide the character's identity, rather than expose it. It is only the players who are interested in reading about the characters who will find out the gender.
The book isn't like some lore in a Souls game or RPG where you might check it out only if you're really into the game and discover things. You kind of have to use the book to figure out puzzles in the game. There'll be notifications to check out specific character's inner thoughts. The Scythian being female is not a twist at all, it's expressed physically too.

Astral Dog

"Man with boobs" can be tasteful if it's very deliberate and there are normal female characters surrounding this one. An example of that are Arya Stark and Brienne of Tarth. Westeros is a very sexist kingdom and those two challenge that norm.

Note though that I'm not saying being a sword fighter is intrinsically masculine. It's not universally so, there just is a perception of as much in Westeros, some other fictions, and many parts of our own history.

But it doesn't have to be. Writing fiction means taking liberties, and you don't have to write men as sexist pigs to make convincing fantasy.

Im not sure abot that example, they stand out, in part because they are female, like you said its a very sexist world.

That term refers more to the female character that seems common on the world or its written in a way that a feminine personality is very downplayed,

There is nothing wrong with that but is a distinction to the example you mentioned.

edit: maybe i read it wrong

For the most part, I agree with the video, but I would argue that every character falls into some sort of trope. Even the Scythian.

As I've shown in other threads, I'm somehow hopelessly incapable of elaborating without insulting someone to the point where they feel that their life goal must be to prove everything I say to be incorrect, no matter the context.

But, overall, a good choice in game and point.

ArjanN

The book isn't like some lore in a Souls game or RPG where you might check it out only if you're really into the game and discover things. You kind of have to use the book to figure out puzzles in the game. There'll be notifications to check out specific character's inner thoughts. The Scythian being female is not a twist at all, it's expressed physically too.

I got all the achievements and I didn't remember her being female at all.

I knew I should have stayed out of this thread :(

Why does that matter at at all? This is the first video in a series and, other than the second video (I think), we have no idea what future episodes will feature.

Asking if she's a gamer, especially with the laughable "hardcore" attached to it, is silly.
Context, maybe? It was an honest question. If she is a gamer, moreso "hardcore", she would have a well of knowledge to pull ideas from. I think thats logical. I feel I have a few ideas of good female character design because of that.

I know nothing about Anita because I stay away from her threads because everyone is too quick to attack. Next time, I'll use wiki instead of asking a question. Jeez. And now I'm too sensitive, too.
because gender isn't a set of visual cues? which has been an entire facet of her argument up to and including this video?
Now I know. I just thought she was choosing designs that were realistic, but not oversexualized. I know little about the author and, with the Mod notes in the OP, I figured that was a plus. Guess not?

I knew I should have stayed out of this thread :(

Context, maybe? It was an honest question. If she is a gamer, moreso "hardcore", she would have a well of knowledge to pull ideas from. I think thats logical. I feel I have a few ideas of good female character design because of that.

I know nothing about Anita because I stay away from her threads because everyone is too quick to attack. Next time, I'll use wiki instead of asking a question. Jeez.
Nobody has attacked you. People have questioned the logic of your question and offered opinions on why it's perfectly valid to take this game as an example.

Oh yeah, I realize I never notice the character's gender is because you never really see the front side of the main character. I never bothered with text dialogue.

Top Bottom