• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scorpio to be shown off next week according to Jez C... (READ MOD POST)

Rösti;233183284 said:
I would assume some kind of countdown or press release about the upcoming reveal to be made available early next week, or maybe even on Sunday, April 2.

If I recall correctly, Microsoft announced the date of the Xbox One reveal quite some time ahead of the actual reveal.

Edit: They announced the reveal date on April 24. That's 27 days before the reveal. https://majornelson.com/2013/04/24/xboxreveal/

Yeah it would be a bit weird if IGN or DF or whoever it is randomly puts up an article and or video of the system without any announcement of it.

Journey

Banned
Completely uninterested unless it's announced with a slew of exclusives. Even then, it's gonna be a tough sell. After playing GoW4 on my gaming laptop and it running much better than I expected, I'm more open to just playing the exclsuives on my PC instead.

whqb3.jpg

Completely uninterested unless it's announced with a slew of exclusives. Even then, it's gonna be a tough sell. After playing GoW4 on my gaming laptop and it running much better than I expected, I'm more open to just playing the exclsuives on my PC instead.
Thanks for the helpful insight my man!

MS and Scorpio would essentially dominate the media from now till E3

Yeah they are treating this like a new traditional console launch in terms of marketing. Much different from Sony's reveal and then release a few weeks later.
Get the hype train rolling early.

Yeah they are treating this like a new traditional console launch in terms of marketing. Much different from Sony's reveal and then release a few weeks later.
Get the hype train rolling early.

Wouldn't this have a negative effect on xbox one s sales if they get the hype train rolling this early?

remember this is still the same generation of platforms for MS and Both the Xbox One S and Scorpio have to co exist unless MS decides to push scorpio 100% and leaves previous owners behind.

Hawk269

I'm mostly curious about what game they'll use to demonstrate it.

I don't you can say it will be just one game. I have a feeling that there will be 2-3 new games and a host of existing 1st and 3rd party games with Scorpio patches to show the difference. I mean when people want to see a difference, it is usually with something they have already seen/been playing and then having the new version with it taking advantages of the hardware.

Personally, I think MS should have money hatted to have a Witcher 3 patch, even though they are no longer working on the game. a nice bag of money and I am sure CDPR would of put a team together to make a Scorpio patch for the game.

Wouldn't this have a negative effect on xbox one s sales if they get the hype train rolling this early?

remember this is still the same generation of platforms for MS and Both the Xbox One S and Scorpio have to co exist unless MS decides to push scorpio 100% and leaves previous owners behind.

MS isnt doing generations anymore, every xbox from here on out will be a supped up xbox one.

I am very curious about the specs and if its Zen thats good for the systems future. Any system that is released in 2020 or 2021 isnt going to be a huge generational leap like we saw with PS3 to PS4. Scorpio will be able to perform decently by then. The return on investments for performance are starting to slow.

It's going to be really interesting seeing this dynamic play out.

If Scorpio is really a next gen console with pure backwards compatibility, then we're gonna be stuck in an extremely awkward cycle with consoles being released async with power gaps between release.

Koobion

Not at all interested in purchasing an Xbox since I have a gaming PC, but I love hardware, so I'm very interested in that aspect. Looking forward to it.

I'm taking the same approach as with Switch I wanna see games/content not so much the fancy tech.Games MS don't let great tech go squandered like Vita where not many AAA Killzone quality games were made.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Needs to back VR to begin with, and MS need to start pushing exclusive new IPS more.
Or they could utilize some of their old "abandoned" IPs:

Midtown Madness
Crimson Skies
Brute Force
Blinx
Project Gotham Racing

The list goes on. But yes, new IPs would be nice.

Caja 117

The pricingg will be very inportant to me into buying this or just keeping my S (which is one of the best purchase i have done recently) I really hope is not 500 dollars.

Looking forward to the reveal.

I'm taking the same approach as with Switch I wanna see games/content not so much the fancy tech.Games MS don't let great tech go squandered like Vita where not many AAA Killzone quality games were made.

The thing is Scorpio for now is just a beefed up XboxOne. You want games? Look at all the upcoming ones... Thats what you will get with Scorpio

They really don't care about the first half of the year and even with 3rd parties there's not a lot releasing in the next few months.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Rösti;233185608 said:
Or they could utilize some of their old "abandoned" IPs:

Midtown Madness
Crimson Skies
Brute Force
Blinx
Project Gotham Racing

The list goes on. But yes, new IPs would be nice.

Banjo Threeie and Fable 4 as VR exclusives, can you imagine the fallout from that?

Lucreto

I will be happy just get proper information on it and to keep people's expectations in check.

Before the Pro reveal there was a lot of 1080p or 4K @ 60FPS locked being thrown around. I have seen some here and on other sites that Scorpio will run pure 4K and no checkerboard 4K at @60FPS.

I will be happy just get proper information on it and to keep people's expectations in check.

Before the Pro reveal there was a lot of 1080p or 4K @ 60FPS locked being thrown around. I have seen some here and on other sites that Scorpio will run pure 4K and no checkerboard 4K at @60FPS.

Well the funny thing is the Digital Foundry scorpio piece in january mentioned checkerboard but that was old information.

Then again there were posters in that thread saying not much has changed since.

Banjo Threeie and Fable 4 as VR exclusives, can you imagine the fallout from that?

I think that would be just as stupid and damaging (to VR in general) a move as I think PS VR exclusives are. So yeah, I really hope that doesn't happen.

EDIT: Unless you mean to PC as well since those are exclusive IP's. I was speaking more towards games that weren't exclusive IP's.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Xbox is my main console so I'll be buying one irregardless, but I'm excited to what Microsoft will do hardware wise. The rumors were the Xbox team bad a chip on their shoulder about the power difference, so they have some fire under their butts to deliver.

Xbox is my main console so I'll be buying one irregardless, but I'm excited to what Microsoft will do hardware wise. The rumors were the Xbox team bad a chip on their shoulder about the power difference, so they have some fire under their butts to deliver.

Well, they're going to be more powerful by virtue of coming 12 months later. If the Xbox team believes that power is the only factor in them falling so far behind this generation, though, then they're about to have a rude awakening.

Fortunately, from what I've read, it seems like they realise $199 PS4/Xbox One will be the main sellers this holiday.

killroy87

I'm sure I'll end up buying it, because I'm a moron that likes to buy new things...but I haven't turned my Xbone on outside of playing 4K blu-rays since FH3 came out.

Maybe this can be tempting enough to become my new multiplatform console of choice.

Didnt the guy who designed the Xbox One S leave MS for Tesla or somebody? Thats a damn shame because that is an incredibly good looking console. I wonder if that designer did some work on Scorpio before he left?

HardRojo

Soft reveal next week and full blown reveal along with specs, games, price, plan and everything at E3. Microsoft has to dominate it. Hopefully what they show appeals to me, as I planned to get an XBO but then kind of forgot about it.

Bsigg12

Soft reveal next week and full blown reveal along with specs, games, price, plan and everything at E3. Microsoft has to dominate it. Hopefully what they show appeals to me, as I planned to get an XBO but then kind of forgot about it.

I would expect all hardware talk to be done prior to E3 so they can focus on the content they're bringing to the system.

Ahasverus

I hope Scorpio is a success so PS4 owners can have better Pro patches.

What I mean is that devs will give more thought to the souped up modes in 2 consoles compared to 1, it doesn't matter if it will look downgraded on the pro compared to the Scorpio, it will still be good.

The future of Xbox benefits the entire industry, do I am definitely rooting for success with Scorpio.

Yup. This is the attitude that more people should be taking IMO. This is why I am excited even as a PC only gamer.

The play anywhere initiative is one example.

EDIT: And here is another,

What I mean is that devs will give more thought to the souped up modes in 2 consoles compared to 1, it doesn't matter if it will look downgraded on the pro compared to the Scorpio, it will still be good.

rrc1594

I didn't think of that.

Well the funny thing is the Digital Foundry scorpio piece in january mentioned checkerboard but that was old information.

Then again there were posters in that thread saying not much has changed since.
They mentioned CB for some expensive effects and transparencies but in fact mentioned that Scorpio could render natively in 4k even games that would run in 900p on Scorpio.

I dunno why the takeaway from that thread was negative (not really actually), but it was actually good news and even better than what Ms themselves told before, as before they said a 1080p game on xbone would be 4k on Scorpio, but there aren't that many 1080p games on it.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
If their aim for Scorpio is 'niche', they might as well pack the whole thing in. Wouldn't make any sense for them to do a 'PS4 Pro' style market pitch. They need to bring new people into the fold more than ever.

I'd wager they're using that angle to appease the hardcore Xbox fans and to prepare the market for a 399 price point.

oh my god

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Can't wait to check this out.
I specifically need to see how Destiny 2 performs so I can choose between the pro and Scorpio as my next destiny box.

belvedere

Junior Butler

When ME Andromeda can't run at 1080p 60fps without optimizations on a 1080 ti the outlook doesn't seem remotely realistic with Scorpio.

Well, they're going to be more powerful by virtue of coming 12 months later. If the Xbox team believes that power is the only factor in them falling so far behind this generation, though, then they're about to have a rude awakening.

Fortunately, from what I've read, it seems like they realise $199 PS4/Xbox One will be the main sellers this holiday.
The main reason they are behind was due mind share, and the power gap did play a large role in that, yes.

But they know it's not the only thing, which is why ever since the launch all they are doing is trying to earn the fans back, and making their platform very attractive for both developers and gamers, lately there seems even to be a shift in the scale regarding indies towards Xbox, something that is likely to keep happening as they open their marketplace.

They really don't care about the first half of the year and even with 3rd parties there's not a lot releasing in the next few months.
They had halo wars 2 and a couple of 3rd party exclusives as well, in fact Cities Skyline release is imminent.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Didnt the guy who designed the Xbox One S leave MS for Tesla or somebody? Thats a damn shame because that is an incredibly good looking console. I wonder if that designer did some work on Scorpio before he left?

He left in November, and by then all or the majority of design would've been done.

Dynomutt

So Phil has stated that this is a "premium" console for gamers and Xbox fans. Now I know the definition of premium has been debated. Lets say it is priced accordingly $499 -$549 and the specs justify that price will it still entice you to purchase or is $399 a new invisible threshold?

Simo

Not that I recall. Would be a good get, GI has a huge subscriber base of gaming fans. Last I remember seeing they were the fifth most subbed printed mag in the US, which is crazy.

Game Informer did do a VR cover story last year that was hardware focused but obviously wasn't exclusively talking about one piece of kit.

So it could happen and their cover is set to be revealed next week, the only thing is that it could be either Destiny 2, Agents of Mayhem or for a long shot Red Dead Redemption 2.

Yoday

I'm inclined to think this is a DF reveal. Crapgamer had a video talking about a reveal happening next week with Eurogamer. I take whatever he says with a huge grain of salt, but his video came out a few hours before Jez started talking about this reveal. It makes sense to me too. Every outlet big and small will do reporting on it regardless of who puts it out first, and it makes more sense to do a spec reveal with digital foundry than the tech ignorant folks at IGN. You could hand a full spec sheet to any one of the people at IGN and they wouldn't have a clue what they were looking at. But, give it to Digital Foundry and you can get the spec hype rolling with folks that know their shit and know how to explain the tangible results that we can expect from the specs in a detailed way. It would also show good will from MS by putting the hardware into the hands of people that gamers trust with technical specifications.

Give it to IGN and you'll get talk of 4K with some crappy comparison videos, but you give it to Digital Foundry and they'll break down the upgrades on a granular level with talk of how different effects and techniques have improved over Forza 6.

Top Bottom