• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VR on the PS4 PRO - WOW! big difference

also basing whatever observations off some shitty website with 3 shitty comparisons of the PSVR improvements when we all know that the good/proper observations will be incoming very soon from the real sites once the embargos lift is kinda funny

Javin98

Banned
It's the same issue but i only need to get a new video card.

I haven't had a PC for years and I bought a 6700k and a gtx 1070 this year. Mainly due to the news of the consoles getting this odd half generation version.
The point is, you're fine with others playing a more visually impressive version on more powerful PC's while you have a problem with this on consoles. That makes no sense.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The point is, you're fine with others playing a more visually impressive version on more powerful PC's while you have a problem with this on consoles. That makes no sense.
I don't understand why people are confused about this. One of the main reasons I have been a champion of console gaming is the generational stability. Now there will be these distinction within the generation.

I completely agree this occurs on the PC. However, current mid-tier PC graphics still outperform the mid-generation leaps happening here. Also, the system is piecemeal upgradeable so you can add more RAM, a different video card or another processor.

We see this in consumer phones and tablets too. This was the inevitable next step due to the technology arms race that is currently happening.

For a little background on me, I have not had a PC in about 8 years. Using MBPs as my main computer and console gaming exclusively. I built one earlier this year after hearing the news about console life cycle shortening.

Latimer

Banned
What are you even on about? What exactly do colors have to do with IQ? I personally don't think Uncharted 4 has perfect IQ, the TAA and low quality motion blur create some horrible artifacts, but your post makes no sense and seems to rile people up for no reason. The Pro version downsampled from a significantly higher resolution will definitely have better IQ, but the shots don't exactly show that, do they?

Ugh what? I'm saying people said Uncharted 4 had perfect IQ, but the Pro version shows it has been MUCH improved. So it wasn't perfect was it.

So you're going to go to PC where the disparities are even stronger based on what hardware you have? Am I following you correctly?

Not having hardware upgrades more frequently was one of the biggest criticisms of consoles in the past. Now that it's finally here still people are bitching and moaning about it lmao.
I feel on PC though, you can target just better than console performance and just get a card that hits that performance level. Like a GTX 1060 right now will play just about any console game at 1080p60 with better visuals and that card costs less than a PS4 Slim. It should even outperform the Pro. You could buy yourself more time with a 1070 out a 1080 since consoles stopped pushing the envelope anymore. So I can understand the thought of moving to PC if you can put up with the other baggage that comes with it.

Javin98

Banned
Ugh what? I'm saying people said Uncharted 4 had perfect IQ, but the Pro version shows it has been MUCH improved. So it wasn't perfect was it.
Please elaborate on how those shots demonstrate "improved IQ". What those shots show above all else is different color scheme which has nothing to do with IQ. If you're going to say the IQ was not perfect on OG PS4 because it's now sharper on Pro, then, technically, we will never have a perfect IQ. Higher resolutions will always result in sharper images. As I said, the Pro version will definitely have better IQ (as in fewer shimmering and artifacts), but those shots do not show that.

it had dithering in madagascar and it was a very good looking game. I dont think anyone really said it had perfect IQ (maybe some people did). It is a very good looking game. PS4pro just improves it and you'd want it to

Just noting though; this is the PSVR thread.

I feel on PC though, you can target just better than console performance and just get a card that hits that performance level. Like a GTX 1060 right now will play just about any console game at 1080p60 with better visuals and that card costs less than a PS4 Slim. It should even outperform the Pro. You could buy yourself more time with a 1070 out a 1080 since consoles stopped pushing the envelope anymore. So I can understand the thought of moving to PC if you can put up with the other baggage that comes with it.

If you game on PC, you'll get all that. But you'll miss out on the console exclusives. Impacts Sony gamers more (because you'll miss out on all their games) than MS because of their W10/xboxone eco-system

Please elaborate on how those shots demonstrate "improved IQ". What those shots show above all else is different color scheme which has nothing to do with IQ. If you're going to say the IQ was not perfect on OG PS4 because it's now sharper on Pro, then, technically, we will never have a perfect IQ. Higher resolutions will always result in sharper images. As I said, the Pro version will definitely have better IQ (as in fewer shimmering and artifacts), but those shots do not show that.

fJPmLFP.jpg

guess which side is PS4pro?

If you game on PC, you'll get all that. But you'll miss out on the console exclusives. Impacts Sony gamers more (because you'll miss out on all their games) than MS because of their W10/xboxone eco-system

Unless you buy every single platform, you're always going to be missing out on some exclusive. You have to buy a 3DS, New 3DS, Wii U, Nintendo Switch, PS4, Vita, PSVR, Xbox One, Scorpio, PC, and Vive if you want to play all games in this current generation. However, had the other poster gone PC a few years ago, he could have played 95% of the PS4 games in better than PS4 Pro quality years ago rather than having to wait until the Pro comes out next week, hope the developer patches, and still probably won't get 60 fps across all the games. So I get the mentality of if consoles are going to start being more iterative, a PC can offer that for most of the games up front and long before Sony or Microsoft does.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
You said the PS4 Pro will cost you an extra 350.

That's impossible.

If you get a PS4 slim, the Pro is only $100 extra from the $250 you said the Slim will cost you. Where are you getting the extra $250 from?

Not to pick on you in particular with this quote, but...doesn't the Slim start at $300 and the Pro at $400? I'm seeing so many mentions of $250/$350 in this thread. Am I missing something?

Gutek

I don't know how supersampling will help, when you're an inch from the screen. You're still going to see each and every pixel.

These headsets need to be 8k.

Javin98

Banned
fJPmLFP.jpg

guess which side is PS4pro?
LOL, it looks almost exactly the same that I can't even tell for sure. Zooming in, I noticed more artifacts on the left side while the right side has these artifacts smoothed over, so I'm going to guess the left is OG PS4 while right is Pro. Then again, it could be compression artifacts and/or the leave could moving at different times, resulting in TAA artifacts not present in the other pic.

LOL, it looks almost exactly the same that I can't even tell for sure. Zooming in, I noticed more artifacts on the left side while the right side has these artifacts smoothed over, so I'm going to guess the left is OG PS4 while right is Pro. Then again, it could be compression artifacts and/or the leave could moving at different times, resulting in TAA artifacts not present in the other pic.

I'm pretty sure left is Pro and right is Original PS4. I don't think the difference is that big either. I think for a lot of people, without a point of reference to compare, they wouldn't even know if or how it was better just looking at it. Titanfall 2 has been the biggest difference so far.

AtkO

Left is pro. At least I hope it is cause it's the better screenshot.

jaypah

I don't know how supersampling will help, when you're an inch from the screen. You're still going to see each and every pixel.

It's a noticable difference on Vive. I don't see why it wouldn't apply here too. You're still going to see jaggies in VR. A higher resolution clears a lot of that up. It may not be to the same extent as someone running high-end PCs but it's still welcome for those with a PSVR.

Edit: ah, saw your next post. Well the future will be here eventually. For the time being I'll continue enjoying the Vive. Win/win. People like me will hopefully keep it alive for people like you.

farisr

The same way supersampling helps in regular instances. Improve IQ.

Also, in many cases, it seems pretty obvious the games aren't even reaching the headset's native resolution, so the extra power allowing higher render resolutions is going to help without a doubt.

Javin98

Banned
Left is pro. At least I hope it is cause it's the better screenshot.

I'm pretty sure left is Pro and right is Original PS4. I don't think the difference is that big either. I think for a lot of people, without a point of reference to compare, they wouldn't even know if or how it was better just looking at it. Titanfall 2 has been the biggest difference so far.
Looking at the comparison again, you guys are probably right, LOL. The left one does look sharper. However, it does have some artifacts present which is absent in the right one. I have no idea if it's compression artifacts or something else, though.

I'm viewing on mobile too, which definitely isn't helping.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Clukos over at B3D posted these i think, and i resized the 4k one.

30700202681_f2c5eab4ddvs82.png

4knearestneighborrhsyj.png
I am fairly sure whoever took the Pro screenshot has increased the in-game brightness setting beyond the default - while it's at the default in the regular PS4 screen. Look at the sign, and some of the trees - Highlights look overblown on the Pro screen, something that seems to happen with increased in-game brightness (I remember trying to see what will happen if I increase it). The added sharpness and tiny detail that pops out everywhere is awesome though.

Looking at the comparison again, you guys are probably right, LOL. The left one does look sharper. However, it does have some artifacts present which is absent in the right one. I have no idea if it's compression artifacts or something else, though.

I'm viewing on mobile too, which definitely isn't helping.
Yeah, no need to overthink this. The right one that's more blurry is from regular PS4. On mobile you usually don't get to see the screens at 1:1, so you get to see them both effectively supersampled.

spwolf

Not to pick on you in particular with this quote, but...doesn't the Slim start at $300 and the Pro at $400? I'm seeing so many mentions of $250/$350 in this thread. Am I missing something?

some deals somewhere... but i would say that officially it is 350 vs 450, since PS4 Slim 1tb in $350.

So unless you are really an ocassional gamer or buying it for a kid, Pro is kind of obvious purchase from now on.

Latimer

Banned

Because it looks less blurry than the PS4 version. Nothing else.

Javin98

Banned
Because it looks less blurry than the PS4 version. Nothing else.
Then, as I said in my post, if sharpness were to factor in better IQ, we will never have the perfect IQ unless we have a hardware with infinite power capable of rendering in infinite resolutions because higher resolutions will always yield sharper images. Hence, by your definition, even games on 4K on PC with 4x SSAA do not have perfect IQ because 8K would be sharper, no?

Latimer

Banned
Then, as I said in my post, if sharpness were to factor in better IQ, we will never have the perfect IQ unless we have a hardware with infinite power capable of rendering in infinite resolutions because higher resolutions will always yield sharper images. Hence, by your definition, even games on 4K on PC with 4x SSAA do not have perfect IQ because 8K would be sharper, no?

I never said they did, I said there were people saying Uncharted 4 on PS4 had perfect IQ, which was obviously laughable even back then, my post was just a little jab at those people. Pro version looks great.

Javin98

Banned
I never said they did, I said there were people saying Uncharted 4 on PS4 had perfect IQ, which was obviously laughable even back then, my post was just a little jab at those people. Pro version looks great.
Fair enough, which makes the term "perfect IQ" is pretty much dumb to begin with anyway.

Blanquito

Yup. VR shouldn't be out yet.

Once it's wireless and 8k it'll become interesting
Yeah. Thankfully gaming started in 2005 when games were HD and controllers were wireless. Can you imagine how crappy games would have been before that time? All those wires, that low resolution... It would have been a nightmare

Gutek

Yeah. Thankfully gaming started in 2005 when games were HD and controllers were wireless. Can you imagine how crappy games would have been before that time? All those wires, that low resolution... It would have been a nightmare

I don't even know where to begin.

fvng

The lighting looks a lot better on the regular PS4 to me. The first one is the regular PS4, right?

lighting is def better in the first one, i'd almost prefer better lighting over slightly better character models

lighting is def better in the first one, i'd almost prefer better lighting over slightly better character models

It's not even just lighting. The bottom shot has more clarity and less viewing of UC4 though a thin vaseline coat of blur.

KalBalboa

Banned
Man...

I'm going on a three week road trip tomorrow. When I'm done I hope to have seen some stellar comparisons from Digital Foundry. I have a PSVR and PS4 launch model... no 4K TV but the 1080p perks and the potential PSVR bump is so tempting.

acm2000

Odd comparison shots, have to go looking for the details. Heist one just looks weirdly wrong. Have to wait a few more days to see for myself ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Owning and playing 15 PSVR games, some of which run at 120fps, I'll politely disagree with your assessment of the ps4's ability to handle them. Then again, your idea of what's what when it comes to VR is laughable.

Pretty sure none of them run native 120fps, the headset does that

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
IQ looks better but I cant help but think the lighting looks better on the OG Ps4 VR. Must be the tunnel and just bad timing of screen shots.

Armadilo

Banned
Will hopefully update with better VR pics and stuff in a little bit as the embargo for the PS4 pro as it ends soon.

If anybody sees some good video/pics for comparison reasons please post in the thread and I will update the thread with stuff

ffvorax

From these picrture I only see colours differences... that said these screens aren't even on the same exact scene, low res,... waiting for a more accurate comparison.

EDIT:
Just saw the crop image, that looks way better!

Planet

Thumper runs 90 fps, even on the Pro. And that tech demo in Playroom style that did run at 120 fps didn't make it into the final game. I am pretty sure it now runs 60 (reprojected to 120) all the way, it feels the same everywhere, and it has to make the extra effort for seperate social screen in the corresponding games.

also basing whatever observations off some shitty website with 3 shitty comparisons of the PSVR improvements when we all know that the good/proper observations will be incoming very soon from the real sites once the embargos lift is kinda funny

If you are talking about wanting to see what Kinda Funny (eg Greg and Colin) you might be waiting a while said on there 24 hour charity stream that they have not been sent a ps4 pro and wern't too suprised based on what they had said about it. Don't think they are intending on buying one either both have said personally aren't and not sure unless there was a lot of content to be made doubt the company would. Tim however is buying one for Final Fanatasy so maybe will get so reports then.

Top Bottom