• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's AF issue we need answers!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm curious to see if whatever hoops devs have had to jump through for AF have been fixed in 3.0. It seems to have fewer features than typical of a full numbered release which makes me suspect there might be some significant gains on the dev side. Fixing the AF issue and setting a decent (8x) setting as default would be a big deal, as would fixing some of the additional hichtching with alpha effects that PS4 seems to have in some games that XBO doesn't. Unfortunately, Sony is very quiet about API updates this gen.

dr_rus

Trilinear? I mean, what the fuck? There has to be a reason this keeps happening.

I'm starting to wonder if that's just PS360 gen's legacy showing up, in form of production environment settings or just general developer mindset. A trilinear on PS against an AF on Xbox sounds pretty much like something that was happening last gen.

Kayant

Another victim of PS4's AF issue...

I don't know why devs. undervalue the effect of anisotropic filtering on image quality; it vastly improves it, and to me is one of the most notable things when it comes to graphical quality. And it's got little performance cost (see the DmC performance pre and post AF patch on PS4).

Just a reminder there is no "issue" -
FYI Sony released a tech note related with AF.

Well basically (I don't want to enter in any specifics) it reminds devs how to make it properly and a future update to make it "easier" (it is not that it is "difficult" now at all).

No, it is not that complicated.

I really don't know where the issue comes from to be honest (since you can use AF) but I think Sony knows about the "problem" and maybe they reacted to show devs how to "fix it" or to clarify if it is some misunderstanding about the process.

Skenzin

Banned
Contrary to Sony's statement, its probably a pain in the ass to implement and dev's just probably skip it figuring nobody will notice and management is probably oblivious. See this all the time in IT with limited time and budgets.

Lol this is past being a joke...

c862df808c6558b4721110763b3eb657.png

Dat PS4 tri-linear filtering tho

Hesemonni

Banned
I'd love to hear some dev's take on the issue. Like finish the sentence beginning with 'In this game PS4 has inferior AF because _______________________' .

I don't even own a PS4 anymore, but it's just silly.

When do we start blaming devs for this? Seems like a lot of them have figured it out...

Well not really...it IS a dev thing. The most recent example is this game, and Rainbow Six Siege. It's puzzling to say the least, especially considering Xbox One has higher texture filtering. Clearly the issue hasn't been solved yet...

Why is this thread still a thing? It's been cleared up, this is a dev problem.

Because games are still bizarrely running at a lower AF on PS4 than Xbox One? Not hard to understand, and we're making a list of games that can hopefully get the attention to be patched. Worked with DmC and Dying Light. And with games still suffering from this, we're back to square one, and via DF analysis, I'll keep posting in this thread as that's what it's for. Screenshots to highlight low quality AF or lack thereof on PS4 for no apparent reason.

It's fucking Tony Hawk 5, why are you sleuthing based on this, lol?

Because that IS exactly my point lol. Despite the game running like sh*t and looking like sh*t, for some reason, yet again, the PS4 version has had low texture filtering applied "by default". The issue clearly hasn't been sorted out or bought to the attention of many devs clearly indicated by this and a few other games in recent weeks.

Also, I was reading a DF article anyway and decided to quickly post a screenshot. Took about a minute to do so ;)

AlphaDump

Gold Member
could they add this to their QC checklist? like "list the AF solution currently implemented". then the QA person can flag it and suggest a better solution upon their review?

it just seems odd, and there are relatively easy ways to standardize it going forward.

Kayant

Why is this thread still a thing? It's been cleared up, this is a dev problem.

Go ask the devs of each game when there is a difference because we were lucky to even get the info we got from lherre earlier and according to that info it wasn't/isn't that "difficult to implement.

hawk2025

Because that IS exactly my point lol. Despite the game running like sh*t and looking like sh*t, for some reason, yet again, the PS4 version has had low texture filtering applied "by default". The issue clearly hasn't been sorted out or bought to the attention of many devs clearly indicated by this and a few other games in recent weeks.

Also, I was reading a DF article anyway and decided to quickly post a screenshot. Took about a minute to do so ;)

The point is that you will never get relevant information on how easy, hard, hidden, or direct it is based on what's done in Tony Hawk 5.

We have no idea what has been sorted or hasn't and how much it has been brought to the attention of devs based on a game that was shat out. All this does is decrease the signal-to-noise ratio.

Orayn

DirectX versus OpenGL. Basically it's not difficult to implement on the PS4 but you do actually have to do it. DirectX probably defaults to it on.

You're probably right about it having something to do with each console's graphic API, but the PS4 doesn't use OpenGL per se. It's kind of like saying CoD still runs on the Quake III engine; not strictly false, but it's been customized beyond recognition.

tebunker

Banned
DirectX versus OpenGL. Basically it's not difficult to implement on the PS4 but you do actually have to do it. DirectX probably defaults to it on.
Ultimately this is the answer. If its not specifically pointed out in a design doc or as something to be addressed development will let the default take over.

Honestly I am not surprised that most devs don't notice it. Not everyone is an IQ geek, but since it is a known thing you would think information for fixing it would have been disseminated by now.

It shouldn't happen especially if it won't kill the port or make it more difficult to work on.

Wereroku

You're probably right about it having something to do with each console's graphic API, but the PS4 doesn't use OpenGL per se. It's kind of like saying CoD still runs on the Quake III engine; not strictly false, but it's been customized beyond recognition.
True so it would be a bit more work than just porting to opengl. Honestly I'm not sure what Sony can do short of forcing devs to turn it off if they want to use a different solution.

Ultimately this is the answer. If its not specifically pointed out in a design doc or as something to be addressed development will let the default take over.

Honestly I am not surprised that most devs don't notice it. Not everyone is an IQ geek, but since it is a known thing you would think information for fixing it would have been disseminated by now.

It shouldn't happen especially if it won't kill the port or make it more difficult to work on.

Yeah I get ya, but to be fair, (and this is coming from someone who has never noticed screen tearing), texture filtering or lack thereof is one of the most notable things to me in a game, particularly in the new gen where games look amazing, yet parts are juxtaposed with blurry textures etc

mejin

Yeah I get ya, but to be fair, (and this is coming from someone who has never noticed screen tearing), texture filtering or lack thereof is one of the most notable things to me in a game, particularly in the new gen where games look amazing, yet parts are juxtaposed with blurry textures etc

Is there any amazing games on PS4 that lacks AF? I just remember crap and mediocres games at best.

Kayant

Just curious, why doesn't the issue exist on XB1 then?

I don't know. But texture filtering is an issue on both consoles in general. In mutliplats I would assume it's likely that as both XB1 and PC use Direct X the implementation is similar between both platforms so in those cases it could anything from I guess "forgetting" about it, not enough time(in terms of time needed to implement it vs other things). Point being we will likely never know.

Is there any amazing games on PS4 that lacks AF? I just remember crap and mediocres games at best.

In my experience, Destiny is an example, others like CoD. Not sure if it lacks AF, but the texture filtering is just plain awful. There are probably others that I can't remember off the top off my head. God of War III I think too?

-griffy-

Banned
In my experience, Destiny is an example, others like CoD. Not sure if it lacks AF, but the texture filtering is just plain awful. There are probably others that I can't remember off the top off my head. God of War III I think too?

But those games have identical crap AF on both platforms. The truth is most console games have subpar AF including first party/exclusives (look at Forza, Driveclub, inFamous: Second Son, Sunset Overdrive, etc) and most multi-platform games have identical crap AF between platforms. Overall, console games have a problem with bad AF. There are a number of games on both platforms that have decent AF, but that number is disappointingly small.

This is kind of a separate issue than the one the thread is ostensibly about, which is when a PS4 version of a mutliplat game inexplicably has a lower AF value than the XBO version. There seems to be no logical reason, since most multiplat games have identical AF, some games that had the "problem" were patched to fix it with no negative impact, and a number of games have better AF on PS4 than XBO (MGSV, Sniper Elite, etc). For this reason it doesn't seem logical it's an issue with the PS4 system, but rather with the devs implementing it.

I feel like I've posted this same thing several times in this thread.

dealer-

But those games have identical crap AF on both platforms. The truth is most console games have subpar AF including first party/exclusives (look at Forza, Driveclub, inFamous: Second Son, Sunset Overdrive, etc) and most multi-platform games have identical crap AF between platforms. Overall, console games have a problem with bad AF. There are a number of games on both platforms that have decent AF, but that number is disappointingly small.

This is kind of a separate issue than the one the thread is ostensibly about, which is when a PS4 version of a mutliplat game inexplicably has a lower AF value than the XBO version. There seems to be no logical reason, since most multiplat games have identical AF, some games that had the "problem" were patched to fix it with no negative impact, and a number of games have better AF on PS4 than XBO (MGSV, Sniper Elite, etc). For this reason it doesn't seem logical it's an issue with the PS4 system, but rather with the devs implementing it.

AF really has been disappointing on the whole, especially when it seemed to getting much better towards the end of previous gen on PS3. The disparities in this thread are due to console development and will always vary from game to game.

thelastword

Banned
There is a problem with AF, it has nothing to do with the PS4, but with devs.

Dying Light, 8xAf implemented on top of a myriad of tangible visual improvements, no impact on framerate.

USF4, 8-16xAf implemented and a very good quality AA solution, absolutely no impact on framerate

DMC4-SE, 8xAF implemented with absolutely no impact to the framerate......

There's a problem all right, but it's not he PS4.......I believe this thread has a purpose, but we should be ringing the devs ears about it, have journalists ask devs these questions or ask df to contact those devs about these issues.

If it was up to me, I would make 16xAF mandatory in every PS4 title and have the devs to work around that with their game, you would also have to use 2xAA or SMAA 2TX or HRAA as default for any 1080p title. Some decisions just have to be made by the platform holder, it's their library of games that are being muddied with trilinear bs as it stands.

Huh, this issue still exists? Very strange.
At least the exclusives all seem to have AF enabled.

There is a problem with AF, it has nothing to do with the PS4, but with devs.

Dying Light, 8xAf implemented on top of a myriad of tangible visual improvements, no impact on framerate.

USF4, 8-16xAf implemented and a very good quality AA solution, absolutely no impact on framerate

DMC4-SE, 8xAF implemented with absolutely no impact to the framerate......

There's a problem all right, but it's not he PS4.......I believe this thread has a purpose, but we should be ringing the devs ears about it, have journalists ask devs these questions or ask df to contact those devs about these issues.

If it was up to me, I would make 16xAF mandatory in every PS4 title and have the devs to work around that with their game, you would also have to use 2xAA or SMAA 2TX or HRAA as default for any 1080p title. Some decisions just have to be made by the platform holder, it's their library of games that are being muddied with trilinear bs as it stands.

Man, I would love to know the reason why many PS4 titles ship without AF despite not impacting performance when devs do enable it.

This is strange. Has anyone found out the issue here? It seems like ps4 should be able to handle this. It has exclusives that use it right?

FranXico

No, it is not that complicated.

I really don't know where the issue comes from to be honest (since you can use AF) but I think Sony knows about the "problem" and maybe they reacted to show devs how to "fix it" or to clarify if it is some misunderstanding about the process.

It probably isn't done in the same way as with Direct3D, so some devs think the API is "broken". God bless them.

thelastword

Banned
Man, I would love to know the reason why many PS4 titles ship without AF despite not impacting performance when devs do enable it.
It is mysterious to me too, but not really.....Why is it that a dev will look over his game and not notice that filtering is bad. Why is proper filtering not something that's resident in the consciousness of developers, it's all part of making a console game afterall.

I think the only way to teach devs good practices is to make things mandatory or force it by default. Your product does not get approved unless the title has 16xAF and 2xMSAA, I'd bet you, no title would be missing AF going forward, even if that is rule is slackened or made non-mandatory a few years after.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Keep blaming the devs like they're too inexperienced to have ever heard of Anisotropic Filtering and how to turn it on. I'm sure it's quite easily overlooked.
sass2.png~original

Bliman

Banned
It's something strange.
It could mean a few things.
The developer leaves AF till last and either forgets about it (unlikely) or fix it in a patch because in this day and age almost every game gets updates.
I bet if they didn't get the opportunity to bring out updates or patches this wouldn't happen.
Or their is really something going on and it really is more difficult on PS4 then it seems in some cases.
Because otherwise Sony would (if the developers already didn't know) point it to every developer because it really is damaging (a little) Sony and the game itself.
They always point to the resolution difference but to me these differences in image quality is much more noticeable.
Either way it's not good because some would get the feeling that the increase in resolution gets payed with image quality and that Xbox One has the better image quality although with lesser resolution.

Top Bottom