• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR requires 2x3 metres of space to use. Polygon requires 2x3 beers to comprehend.

joecanada

*sigh*
Just spent 20 minutes trying to get my 4 sisters and 5 buddies to cancel their pre-orders after reading the OP, and now I find out after reading further that Polygon misinterpreted the text? now I have to call everyone back and make an ass out of myself and basically tell them to forget what I said earlier.

This is why people need to update their OP when needed.

lol. this is either a funny joke or you are going to have a bad time on this thing called interwebs.

Kyne

The misinterpretation in this thread is astounding. Canceling pre-ordering too?

this is Neogaf.

Jesus could rise from the dead and give everyone on earth a billion dollars and people would probably complain about what he was wearing.

I find it hilarious that no one is up in arms about this (2x3M space requirement) but everyone was whining aobut HTC Vive's roomscale requirement(1.5x2M). One requires more space for seated play and the other requires less space for Roomscale with no requirement for seated play.

Ah so no one and everyone? Just stop.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
*sigh*
Just spent 20 minutes trying to get my 4 sisters and 5 buddies to cancel their pre-orders after reading the OP, and now I find out after reading further that Polygon misinterpreted the text? now I have to call everyone back and make an ass out of myself and basically tell them to forget what I said earlier.

That is the stupidest thing I've read in a long while and it's frankly completely moronic.

It gets to me this place sometimes. It really does.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
*sigh*

Classic post

Quonny

Some of these reactions.

Stretch your arms out. That's the width (average human arm span is just under 2 meters). If you're using Move, I sure hope you can move your arms around without hitting something.

Now stretch one arm out in front of you. That's the minimum distance.

Basically swing your arms around. If you don't hit anything, you're good.

brb buying a mansion

What the f--- is this shit?! The demo areas at PS experience weren't that big! Now I'm seriously considering cancelling my preorder worried about other people being misinformed and cancelling their preorders, not that that'll hurt Sony in any way.

You don't "need" all of that empty space around you in order for PSVR to work properly. Think, people.

I find it hilarious that no one is up in arms about this (2x3M space requirement) but everyone was whining aobut HTC Vive's roomscale requirement(1.5x2M). One requires more space for seated play and the other requires less space for Roomscale with no requirement for seated play.

I find it hilarious that you believe that 2x3M is required for seated play.

"The height of the play area will be dependent on how high up the camera is set, according to the official PlayStation Asia site"
Breaking news.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Some of these reactions.

Stretch your arms out. That's the width (average human arm span is just under 2 meters). If you're using Move, I sure hope you can move your arms around without hitting something.

Now stretch one arm out in front of you. That's the minimum distance.

Basically swing your arms around. If you don't hit anything, you're good.

brb buying a mansion

Also if you are sitting (or even standing) you only need that space above waist height - so you could swing your arms over your sofa for instance.

N30RYU

oCg4jaW.jpg

Looks like I overreacted a little earlier, cheers to those who're clearing this misinformation up. I think there's an inherent anxiety that we're going to buy this expensive, exciting new thing and it won't work properly for one reason or another. No-one likes that feeling, glad to see that's not the case.

ChouGoku

Off topic but if anyone wanted to know you can still pre-order a PSVR from amazon.co.uk for 349.99 Euros. I'm from the US and ordered mine for 290 Euros a while back.
Amazon will automatically convert it to Euros for me right?

DavidDesu

Wow, so someone words something poorly and people, failing to look and analyse for more than one second, and ignoring how PSVR has worked in much smaller demo areas before, go absolutely apeshit and cancel preorders.

FUCK ME.

EDIT: Trust Polygon... in fact I thought Polygon were banned from being linked on NeoGAF? A very VERY misleading headline and article all round. Really think Microsoft have some backhanders going on around that site, lol.

Actually some games like The Heist need some limited space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGLs9hqogRE

Of course, some heavily active games like Headmaster and this The Heist demo will demand space, but that's just common sense. A game like Battlezone, for example, where you're sitting stationary in a tank, won't need much room.

Goes without saying. As long as Sony's clear about which games require lots of movement, it's not really a big deal.

Mossybrew

*sigh*

Ok this is pretty funny. I can just imagine you reading the OP, dropping everything and immediately sending URGENT MESSAGES to all your peeps (who apparently live in closets). The sky is falling!

majik13

Ive used PSVR in much smaller areas. Not recommended but definitely do able. You just need enough room away from the camera for its FOV to pick you up is all that is really required. Ive played a good deal like 3-4 feet from the camera.
Job simulator was the only game that had issues in a small place, because it asks you to reach things in front of you and down low and to the side, so if you are too close to the camera, then the camera wont pick up those actions. Battlezone, The Heist, Until Dawn, Rigs etc, were all just fine however.

10/10.

You'll be fine. All the image is showing is that the person in the chair could move backwards or forwards and it would still work. It doesn't mean there needs to be that space behind/in front of them.

Good point.

Like others have mention, this is a $400 to $500 purchase for JUST the base equipment. I'd hate to have a bad playing experience after spending that much. I just want to sit in my couch, dual shock 4 in hand, and feel like I'm the Last Starfighter.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
This thread has been hilarious. Along with a couple more today.

Thanks GAF.

So it's basically the space needed for Kinect?

Pre order uncanceled.

*sigh*

I think you might have just figured out why no one in your life takes you seriously. You might want to just a small ounce of your own research before running around telling people what to do because you read a post on the internet.

RdN

This has me somewhat worried.

I have a very limited play space and usually sit no more than 2m from my TV, do you guys think it'll be able to correctly recognize me?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
*sigh*

4+5=....9...

madmackem

This thread has been hilarious. Along with a couple more today.

Thanks GAF.

So it's basically the space needed for Kinect?

Pre order uncanceled.
Basically sit on your seat move your arms around if you don't smash your house up your set. This isn't Kinect in that it requires the room technically as long as your not hitting things your set.

N30RYU

I have a very limited play space and usually sit no more than 2m from my TV, do you guys think it'll be able to correctly recognize me?
As long as you're betwen 60cm and 3m from the camera you'll be ok.

The only thing is that you may try what suits you better if putting the camera under or on top of your tv
Cl3ctcdWgAApU9e

majik13

you should be fine for most games, but a game like Job simulator, where you need to move the Move controllers all around and down low and to the side, might be an issue.

Why wouldn't it ? As long as the camera can see the light on the headset your fine, lolygon have spread more fud in one article than we've seen since psvr was shown lol.

It also needs to see the lights on the Move controllers, hence some games might have an issue being that close, generally the controllers are lower than the headset. And generally would need to be moved greater distances than the HMD. Going off the side profile pic in the post above. There is a triangular gap in the bottom front. That gap more or less ends at 3 meters. RdN says he plays within 2 meters. If the controllers enter that gap they wont be detected. Though the camera could go below the TV, but then that might lead to the Headset going out of the FOV.

madmackem

Why wouldn't it ? As long as the camera can see the light on the headset your fine, lolygon have spread more fud in one article than we've seen since psvr was shown lol.

No, using "cinematic mode" in other headsets is surprisingly pleasant. I watched the entirety of Daredevil's second season in a virtual living room. I figured the resolution would be crap but it comes out looking great honestly.

I hope it turns out well on PSVR, would be great to watch a film in peace!

Defuser

I don't know who is worst. People cancelling preoder or people actually believe polygon of all gaming websites and cancelling preorder.

Top Bottom