• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break coming to PC on April 05

Given the relatively high VRAM requirements (for recommended of course), just curious if anyone knows of any updates on the rumour that DX12 allows the memory pools from two cards in Crossfire / SLI to be combined into a single larger pool? I.e. two 4GB cards in Crossfire / SLI would effectively yield an 8 GB of VRAM.

Really, I'm just looking at any excuse to keep from switching my crossfire 290s to a single card...

DX12 allows for split frame rendering, so yeah. This would essentially allow for memory pooling, since each graphics card would only need to render it's own vertical half (or whatever) of the screen. This wouldn't scale perfectly, as you'll have some overlap since both GPUs would need to load any textures along the join, but it will be better than no memory scaling at all as we have now. It will also iron out microstuttering.

Hopefully Quantum Break will be supporting DX12's fancy multi GPU features. With it arguably being Microsoft's showcase DX12 game (and since I've got 3 GTX980s with 4 gigs of vram a piece) I sure as hell hope so.

Here's an article on DX12 multi GPU support:

http://overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/amd_explains_dx12_multi_gpu_benefits/1

Lister

Banned
Rise of the Tomb Raider uses 6gb of VRAM at max settings on 1080p.

No, it allocates as much. How many times must this be explained, VRAM allocated does not mean VRAM required, or even utilized. And allocaiton is the only thing somehting like FRAPS will be telling you. You'd need ot profile the game using debugging tools to see what's actually happening and what's being buffered because it needs to be or because it's more performant and there's room.

Also, PC does have higher quality textures than the Xbone version.

Kuni

Was excited to see this until I saw the crazy crazy specs. I don't understand how it can run on xbone with the specs it needs on PC unless the game is doing some crazy things on the latter.

Do we think a good olde 2500k will manage? :/

Lister

Banned
Was excited to see this until I saw the crazy crazy specs. I don't understand how it can run on xbone with the specs it needs on PC unless the game is doing some crazy things on the latter.

It's very doubtful that the recommended specs wil be running the game like an Xbone.

ISee

No, it allocates as much. How many times must this be explained, VRAM allocated does not mean VRAM required, or even utilized.

Yes sometimes games tend to allocate more than they use. Still RotT uses up to 6gb of VRAM in certain areas on highest texture settings. I wasn't able to keep ultra textures on my gtx 980 activated all the time.

cakely

Phil Spencer has had enough
Ca8jqK_XEAAhl9c.jpg

Oh, CrapGamer. Never change, brah.

Xyber

I'm guessing the minimum specs are basically Xbone settings.

Brofield

I really want to say I guess I don't need an Xbone now...but, controllers > KBM and I really don't want to blow 4x the budget on an Xbone to get 4K graphics (even if it would mean justifying a 4K HDTV purchase)

Buburibon

Great news. I'll definitely pick up QB on PC even it's only on the Windows 10 store.

No, it allocates as much. How many times must this be explained, VRAM allocated does not mean VRAM required, or even utilized. And allocaiton is the only thing somehting like FRAPS will be telling you. You'd need ot profile the game using debugging tools to see what's actually happening and what's being buffered because it needs to be or because it's more performant and there's room.

It allocates as much as 8GB and change at 1080p, near max settings, FXAA on my Titan X.

No. It needs that much for the Very High textures. You get stuttering with 4 gigs of VRAM.

This is almost certainly the same scenario. There have been a number of games now that needed 6 gigs of VRAM for the highest quality textures (Shadows of Mordor, ROTR... I feel I'm forgetting at least one other). Basically if you have the VRAM to spare and the assets were created at a high enough resolution, you should ship the game with them and let those with 6 gigs of VRAM enjoy the highest quality available textures.

I'm limited to 'high' on ROTR with my 4 gigs of VRAM, but I don't feel like I'm getting a poor experience. The high quality textures are high quality. If higher resolution versions exist... yeah... make them available to people with appropriate amounts of VRAM.

These specs aren't that different to ROTR. It's what I'm expecting triple A exclusives designed for the new consoles to come in at on PC.

ISee

I really want to say I guess I don't need an Xbone now...but, controllers > KBM and I really don't want to blow 4x the budget on an Xbone to get 4K graphics (even if it would mean justifying a 4K HDTV purchase)

I'm using a xbox one controller on my PC.

This is the shift from having another xbox console to having an Xbox live marketplace instead ala steam community on Windows. Writing has been on the wall for the last year.

MS will leverage the Xbox brand but it will be on windows devices. They may sell "Steam boxes" but it will be PC gaming moving forward for them, no more consoles.

ViciousDS

Banned
You mean the third one right could have sworn 2 is already out :p.
Ontopic though the game looks amazing and I'll be picking it up on pc on day one, then again every game with time based powers has always been an interest of mine.

F.E.A.R is still the number one shooter in my eyes, but this is showing the potential to be high up on my list.

you caught me stealth editing....damn it, I knew I wouldn't be fast enough to fix it lol

But you can still play QB on your Xbox One, no matter how many different platforms it gets on.

what would be the point? If They start releasing every exclusive for the PC, there is absolutely no reason to own an xbox other than it being a glorified voice cable box.

ISee

Is it very stupid to assume that minimum PC specs will be able to run the game at xbox one settings but with 60 fps?

"Every Xbox One Quantum Break pre-order made through the Xbox Store or participating retailers will get you a download code for the Windows 10 version of Quantum Break and Xbox One backwards compatible version of Alan Wake’s American Nightmare."

mfKSRQp.gif

Was debating whether to get it on Xbone for game sharing or on PC, now I don't have that problem. Never played Alan Wake either so that's a great little bonus.

I can really get behind this cross-buy model.

ElCidTmax

I think this is a great development. I don't think this will reduce Xbox sales, and I do think it will increase sales for MS published titles. I hope they stick with this approach.

SRTtoZ

Damn I hope everything we've seen so far hasn't been just PC footage or we're in for a rude awakening. I always thought the game looked too good... Damn we'll see. Cool as fuck to get both copies for one price though.

That's some vicious recommend specs right there for Quantum! I can only imagine that would be for 1080p 60, hoping it could handle 4K 30, think the VRAM would go way over that res though.

EGM1966

Wow - PC for MS games for me then. I've lost interest in Halo so this would seem to kill me ever getting an XB1.

Will be getting new PC later this year then splurge catch up on whatever's out by the like QB.

Cels

probably too much to ask for a non universal windows app version?

it's not even a platform preference, universal windows apps have limitations compared to normal programs

Lister

Banned
No. It needs that much for the Very High textures. You get stuttering with 4 gigs of VRAM.

This is almost certainly the same scenario. There have been a number of games now that needed 6 gigs of VRAM for the highest quality textures (Shadows of Mordor, ROTR... I feel I'm forgetting at least one other). Basically if you have the VRAM to spare and the assets were created at a high enough resolution, you should ship the game with them and let those with 6 gigs of VRAM enjoy the highest quality available textures.

I'm limited to 'high' on ROTR with my 4 gigs of VRAM, but I don't feel like I'm getting a poor experience. The high quality textures are high quality. If higher resolution versions exist... yeah... make them available to people with appropriate amounts of VRAM.

These specs aren't that different to ROTR. It's what I'm expecting triple A exclusives designed for the new consoles to come in at on PC.

That's more useful information. That it allocates 6 GB or 8 GB in a 6 or GB buffer doesn't mena anything, but that it stutters with only 4 does.

Kezen

Banned
That's more useful information. That it allocates 6 GB or 8 GB in a 6 or GB buffer doesn't mena anything, but that it stutters with only 4 does.

I can confirm. Open areas are literally unplayable with 4gb of VRAM.
So 6 appears to be genuinely needed at times.

I've got no problem with that of course.

Zedox

probably too much to ask for a non universal windows app version?

it's not even a platform preference, universal windows apps have limitations compared to normal programs

Not going to happen. As the platform matures, you'll get those features.

I can confirm. Open areas are literally unplayable with 4gb of VRAM.
So 6 appears to be genuinely needed at times.

I've got no problem with that of course.

Same here. They've got the assets at that quality, let the people who can use them, since there's next to no performance hit if you have enough VRAM.

Almost every game developer creates texture assets at much higher resolutions than end up in console games... even when you're talking about console exclusives.

jfoul

Damn, I have this game on pre-order through Best Buy. I would really like the PC version. I need to check my options because I used my remaining vouchers on it that needed to be used by jan 31st. I don't know if I'll lose the vouchers if I cancel the order.

Hasney

Damn, why did I buy an Elite console a couple of weeks ago?

Still, if they're on the Windows Store, then no buy anyway unless they fix some basic shit.
Not going to happen. As the platform matures, you'll get those features.

We probably won't, at least not for years. MS always has dumb software rules and it takes an absolute age for them to be changed if people complain.

Top Bottom