• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ramadan 2016 |OT| Ramadan is over, now EID!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashes

Banned
Thanks people. She always did sahoor too unlike many people i know. 19 hours of fasting in summer is never going to be easy.

Just reminder if back of your tounge is very dry and your heart is jumping out of the chest then it might be dehydration.

Sounds rough. My eyes are taking a beating from dehydration, and this was even before Ramadan, but I get to use artificial tears, so it's not so bad.

Here's to wishing Mrs Crazy Monkey all the best and a speedy recovery.

Zapages

you're in NYC? you should've came & met up with night knight & i that one time we got iftar together.

anyways yeah dude i loooove sleeping too. my favorite part of living is sleeping. i guess all I can tell you is just deal with the lack of sleep during ramadan and then catch up on all the sleep you want once it's over. this month is the struggle.
what is a madhab?

i'm trying not to go by my own whims but what if i don't like any of the answers i'm given? if i don't like them then i don't want to follow them.

for instance, way back when i was freshman in college we had a guest speaker come to the msa, he was a imam or something. at the end he took questions, my question was, "do aliens exist?" and his answer was (something like this, it was a long time ago), "uh, who cares? that's the only answer you should care for because it won't bring any closer to your journey with god..."

also a few minutes after that I was talking to the vp/p of the msa at the time and was complimenting on his shape up, and he was like all 'oh thanks but i think i messed up on this part here lol' and the imam guy was like 'no you know why you messed up? by cutting off part of it..." and I just walked away. I don't wanna hear that shit. like sure, growing a beard is what you're supposed to do but if you just don't WANT to, if that's going by your own whims, can't you just make that between you and god? like, god knows your wants and intentions, it's not like he was cutting off parts of his beard with malicious intent, he just wants to look the way he feels most comfortable.

also, a few years ago a classmate of mine died in a car crash. she will stay forever young, and i wanted the msa to do a dua for her. i texted the vp/p of msa (it was a different one by that point) and the first thing he asked me iirc, was if she was a muslim. i said no. he replied by saying he's sorry to hear about her passing, but won't be able to announce a dua for her at jumma, and i'm guessing it was because she wasn't muslim.

and i don't appreciate that. if that is the rule of islam, i cannot appreciate that. this is part of the reason why I have trouble identifying as a muslim. there are things i don't fully understand about the religion, but there are also things that i just do not agree with either, so i won't follow them.

maybe this is me going by my whims, or maybe it is because no other human can explain it to me to satisfy me; i hope god does not punish me for it, god is of course beyond my comprehension so it can explain it all to me once i meet my maker (hopefully on good terms)

Your MSA leaders were pricks for not making dua for your friend! That is all I will say.

Islam is made to be easy and for all time. Just think about what makes a Muslim - the Shadat, the 5 pillars, and being a good person.

There is major differences in Sunni and Shia Islam, but that is only if you go deep into it. Likewise with some of the Sunni and Shia madhabs, but that is a story for a different time.

PS: Islam is the only religion that is between you and God and no one else comes in between.

Zapages

I want to share my thoughts on Shia/Sunni stuff but some other time wayy too tired.

^Make things a bit lighter here. As a young Muslim adult, my parents are trying to get me married. My name sounds really like a male Shia name. So in the end of it my parents continually get Rishta (proposals) from hardcore Shia families and they have to explain to them we are not Shia, but Sunni Muslims.... When we talk with Sunni Muslims, they always ask if we are Shia and the cycles continues again haha. >_> XD ... :(

PS: That is how I found out some real distinctions on Shia Muslims and Sunni Muslims. I have really good family friends that are Shia and they even say some of the questions that we have gotten by Shia Muslim families are way over the top. lol

Valhelm

contribute something
Asked a Bengali girl to coffee today, she said she couldn't because of Ramadan.

She didn't offer to meet up after sunset, does that mean I'm out of luck?

orochi91

Nah, you got this.

I've seen this in anime, you just need to score some more affection points...somehow, lol

Ask her out for a slurpee/slushy next time :p
my wife got dehydrated had to go to hospital. do not take fasting lightly.
I pray she makes a speedy recovery!

I'd highly recommend she loads up on Watermelons throughout Ramadan; it will keep her relatively hydrated.

Are you Muslim?

Cuz Ramadan is not the ideal time to go out really, lol. Also, coffee just dehydrates you so I doubt she'd wanna risk that to hang out with you haha.

Valhelm

contribute something
Are you Muslim?

Cuz Ramadan is not the ideal time to go out really, lol. Also, coffee just dehydrates you so I doubt she'd wanna risk that to hang out with you haha.

No I am not lol

I don't think she's very religious, but her parents are, and can be kind of overbearing

Kickz

Saw this posted elsewhere and it cracked me up.

FB_IMG_1465842723663_zpskgrehahe.jpg

Kisaya

Not sure if it's appropriate to ask for advice here instead of the Islam OT, but since it's really active here I thought I could get some answers from the Muslim community.

Basically, my grandfather on my mom's side just suffered a second stroke. He's had type-2 diabetes for years has dealt with a lot of health issues since then. He recovered fine after his first stroke a year ago, but this one damaged him pretty bad. Most of his body is paralyzed and he lost his memory. I heard he can't even talk as well. It's basically looking pretty bad for him and they don't think he can make it pass this week.

I can't fly to NY to console my mom, nor can I fly to Yemen to be there for my grandfather. Since I'm not the best practicing Muslim there's not much that I know what to do aside from pray. So I wanted to know with Ramadan going on right now, if it's even possible to go to a local masjid and ask for some kind of service for my grandfather? It wouldn't be a janazah but maybe some communal prayer for him for a hopeful recovery? Is that something they can do?

Not sure if it's appropriate to ask for advice here instead of the Islam OT, but since it's really active here I thought I could get some answers from the Muslim community.

Basically, my grandfather on my mom's side just suffered a second stroke. He's had type-2 diabetes for years has dealt with a lot of health issues since then. He recovered fine after his first stroke a year ago, but this one damaged him pretty bad. Most of his body is paralyzed and he lost his memory. I heard he can't even talk as well. It's basically looking pretty bad for him and they don't think he can make it pass this week.

I can't fly to NY to console my mom, nor can I fly to Yemen to be there for my grandfather. Since I'm not the best practicing Muslim there's not much that I know what to do aside from pray. So I wanted to know with Ramadan going on right now, if it's even possible to go to a local masjid and ask for some kind of service for my grandfather? It wouldn't be a janazah but maybe some communal prayer for him for a hopeful recovery? Is that something they can do?
Yes you absolutely can especially during Ramadan. Talk to the masjid staff about it, preferably before Friday prayer. Don't lose hope.

Edzi

Most mosques I've been to are cool with doing a quick personalized prayer at the end of Friday Prayer if you ask the Imam.

AKyemeni

Yeah. Just go to your local masjid.

Going to Yemen is not the brightest of ideas these days. Don't know why my cousins keep going there and coming back. Plus, tickets are like 1700 bucks for one way.

Praying for your grandpa.

You'd have to speak to the imam, but at my mosque they do dua for the people with the congregational Juma prayer, I don't go for prayers other than Juma so I don't know if they do it for all of them.

Kisaya

Thanks everyone. What exactly should I say to the imam? Is there any specific information I have to give?

Going to Yemen is not the brightest of ideas these days. Don't know why my cousins keep going there and coming back. Plus, tickets are like 1700 bucks for one way.

Tell me about it. My family rarely visits because of the price, the last time I was there was in 2008. It's really hard to just drop everything and go.

Ask her again after Ramadan. She might have family obligations.

Sorry to hear Kisaya, I'll pray for him. Definitely ask your local masjid as well. I lost my grandparents last year so I know how much it sucks :/

Ashes

Banned
Imams round us tend to do stuff like this on the cuff. They might be even more accommodating because of Ramadan.

I'll keep your family in my prayers.

One last thing. Stop being so hard on yourself about your piety. ;)

Thanks everyone. What exactly should I say to the imam? Is there any specific information I have to give?

not really just say the condition your grandfather is in (you really don't even need to say that and could also be more generic and say he is hospitalized) and that if after prayers they can make a dua for him

where in the city do you reside?

What he said, I'm down for another meet and greet if ye are.

I'm down. PM me if you guys are around during the weekends since I dont fast that often during the work week :(

my wife got dehydrated had to go to hospital. do not take fasting lightly.

Oh man, hope she's alright! I make sure to eat Suhoor a little earlier now so I can drink additional water slowly before times up.

Your MSA leaders were pricks for not making dua for your friend! That is all I will say.

Man I've had nothing but bad experiences with MSA in college campuses. Dudes were basically the Haram Police with zero chill.

Insects have haemolymph which is fluid like the blood... Also cochineal have haemolymph.

We as muslims need study things more carefully before declaring them haram.

Here's the article on it: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10103061

Sorry to going all science on you guys. lol

Are insects haram? I don't understand what the haemolymph has to do with it, sorry :p Is that even detailed in the Quran? The only thing I find is about filth, but obviously you'd cook them like they do in Thailand or other Asian countries.

http://islam.ru/en/content/story/eating-insects-lawful
The Muslim scholars realized the benefits of some insects such as ants in treating some diseases. Imam al Nawawi stated in “Al Rawda” (part 3, page 353, Al Maktab al Islami publishing house) that it is permissible to sell ants in “Askar Makram” which is a city in Khurasan because it is used to treat diabetes and in the city “Nasebeen” as it is used to treat flying scorpions. Therefore the whole issue is bound to scientific researches which prove the benefit or the harm of insects. If it is proven that certain types of insects are used for medical purposes without any harmful side effects, it would be permissible to use it and eat it. At the same time if it is proven that using insects is harmful to the human being, it would be prohibited to use them.​

Zapages

@Kisaya, I will pray for your grandfather.

Also you guys and gals if you are in the city should go to: https://www.facebook.com/events/1140833305966829/

I was going to go, but I cant due to family obligations...

Man I've had nothing but bad experiences with MSA in college campuses. Dudes were basically the Haram Police with zero chill.

That is very unfortunately to hear... :(

When I was an undergrad... My school did not have a MSA, but we had Salaam, Peace organization which was a proto-MSA.

Anyway, over the years it became MSA and most of the folks there pretty chill. We had Muslims and non-Muslims on the e-board. One of my good friends who works/used to work Obama was the president of the organization. Good memories.

Are insects haram? I don't understand what the haemolymph has to do with it, sorry :p Is that even detailed in the Quran? The only thing I find is about filth, but obviously you'd cook them like they do in Thailand or other Asian countries.

The Muslim scholars realized the benefits of some insects such as ants in treating some diseases. Imam al Nawawi stated in “Al Rawda” (part 3, page 353, Al Maktab al Islami publishing house) that it is permissible to sell ants in “Askar Makram” which is a city in Khurasan because it is used to treat diabetes and in the city “Nasebeen” as it is used to treat flying scorpions. Therefore the whole issue is bound to scientific researches which prove the benefit or the harm of insects. If it is proven that certain types of insects are used for medical purposes without any harmful side effects, it would be permissible to use it and eat it. At the same time if it is proven that using insects is harmful to the human being, it would be prohibited to use them.​

My undertanding was they were "bloodless", but technically they aren't.

Question: Is escargot (snail) halal to eat?

Answer: Walaikum As-salaam wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu,

According to the Hanafi school, it is impermissible to eat snails. This applies to both land- and water-dwelling varieties.

Land Snails

Land snails (which are used for escargot) are judged to be impure and therefore impermissible to eat. Such snails are impure because they are considered pests and also because they are bloodless creatures (rather than blood, they have hemolymph, which is found in spiders and crustaceans). These qualities render them from al-khaba’ith (impure, foul, or evil things) that Allah the Exalted has prohibited in the Qur’an. [7:157]

Source: http://islamqa.org/hanafi/seekersguidance-hanafi/32249

Then again Maliki madhab have permitted eating insects...

Scholars debated and had different opinions regarding the permissibility of eating insects. The Hanafi scholars for example prohibited eating insects whereas the Maliki scholars had permitted eating them. Other scholars such as the Shafi’i and Hanbali scholars detailed the matter and prohibited some insects and permitted eating others. The reason behind the scholarly debate in this issue was explained by Imam Ibn Rushd in his book “Bedayat al Mujtahid” (part 3, page 22, Dar al Hadith publishing house) in which he said that they debated about the definition of “filth” when God says in the Quran, “and unlawful all that is filthy” (7:157) Therefore, the scholars who thought that prohibition is only limited to matters which are explicitly cited in the Quran and the Sunnah do not prohibit what the human’s nature finds repulsive or filthy because it was not directly stated in legal texts. And those scholars who thought that the filthy things are what humans find repulsive and hideous deem insects prohibited.

The Maliki scholars ruled that it is permissible to eat insects with the condition of being dead with any means. As for locusts, Ibn Rushd stated in his book “Al Bayan w Al Tahsil” (part 3, page 306, Dar al Gharb al Islami publishing house) that scholars debated over it as some believed that locusts do not need to be slaughtered and it is permissible to eat what was found dead among them. Other scholars found it necessary to slaughter them in ways which would normally lead to its death such as cutting off its head or poking it with thorns or pins or throwing it in fire or hot war. Imam Abu al Barakat Ahmad al Dardir in his book “Al Sharh al Kabir” (part 2, page 115) cited some examples of edible insects such as scorpions, beetles, grass hoppers, ants, worms, licorice and all these insects are related to earth and these insects find their way to the surface of the earth they always go dig their way back to earth.

Source: http://islam.ru/en/content/story/eating-insects-lawful

So in the end of it all only God knows.

@Kisaya, I will pray for your grandfather.

Also you guys and gals if you are in the city should go to: https://www.facebook.com/events/1140833305966829/

I was going to go, but I cant due to family obligations...

That is very unfortunately to hear... :(

When I was an undergrad... My school did not have a MSA, but we had Salaam, Peace organization which was a proto-MSA.

Anyway, over the years it became MSA and most of the folks there pretty chill. We had Muslims and non-Muslims on the e-board. One of my good friends who works/used to work Obama was the president of the organization. Good memories.

My undertanding was they were "bloodless", but technically they aren't.

Source: http://islamqa.org/hanafi/seekersguidance-hanafi/32249

Then again Maliki madhab have permitted eating insects...

Source: http://islam.ru/en/content/story/eating-insects-lawful

So in the end of it all only God knows.
But why does anyone want to eat snails

All this says is if it is for treatment it's allowed, which is the case for medicine in general, obviously try to get a vegetarian version if you can, but if it's not possible you can eat it (at least that's what I've been taught).
If they're in food like M&M's that doesn't justify it being halal.

Yeah I'm down for the weekends as I'm usually exhausted from gym during the week. I feel awful for not going tonight but I'll ramp it up tomorrow night insha'Allah (God willing).

Edit: I went, I'm super tired and I regret nothing! zzzzz
Must stay up for Suhoor.

Also depends on Artisan if he's free on the weekend, I might also ask another gaffer if she wants to tag along. She's from NY as well.

Yo Rusty, hope your wife is okay and recovers well.

I had a pretty positive experience in the MSAs, but I mostly used those rooms for resting, studying and praying.

I hope he recovers, I'll pray for him as well.
It was crazy monkey's wife that got dehydrated :p

Also, that snail sounds legit delicious right about now...

rip rustynails, probably gonna be banned through eid. But on topic, man ramadan is flying by quick again. Halfway through at this point

Why was Rusty got banned?

just look through his posting history

I did. Didn't find anything ban-worthy, unless I missed it.

I missed it too... I mean no insults or anything but who knows maybe some thing from a deleted thread

--------------

anyway we are less then halfway away from finish the month of Ramadan

man time goes way to fast :/

Taraweeh prayers

N6LA8Zu.jpg

what about Witr :p

Also the wording down below (of this image) is lol

you can tell the dude was uber bored

Missed the thread. About M&Ms yeah it's due to E120. Many sweets will contain it. Red sweets especially. Certain regions won't use it. E.g. Malaysia, Singapore...Hk (I saw imported Malaysian ones there). UK do contain the colour though.

As far as I am aware locusts are halal. Other insects are generally not. Best to do some reading of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom