• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ramadan 2016 |OT| Ramadan is over, now EID!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to butt in but you should really consider refraining from smoking. The whole point of ramadan isnt just to stop doing something for 30 days and then begin your old habits again when its over. It makes no difference if you are doing it on Eid or after Eid, because your intention is want to go back to your old ways. I am sure it is addictive, much like the things we supposed to refrain from are addictive such as checking out women, premarital sex, etc.

One of the main reasons I never smoked is partly due to my uncle suffering from cancer at a young age and passing away at the age of 29. Reflecting upon it now, he wouldve been in his early 40s, and when I see my mates light up a fag, I actually have to tell them not to smoke in front of me because it gives me such a negative feeling, so much so that reminder to them has started to make them stop smoking too. It had taken them a year but they quit.

That few minutes you have smoking isnt worth the long term effect. Last thing you want is going to a doctor and finding out you have cancer or something because you smoked, because itll be a whole case of "damn wish i didnt do it" etc.

At the end of the day im only a forumer and have no right to judge how you live your life or what you should be doing, but you should really do everything possible to refrain yourself, even if it means cutting back weekly till the point you stop. At the end of the day, you will be judged accordingly by God, and your excuse wouldnt be sufficient in saying "oh it was addictive". God made the bad things addictive so God can test our commitment towards him.

Just my 2 cents
I appreciate your 2 cents, we're all forumers here but that doesn't mean we all don't care. And I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

However, after having read your post in full I have to say it sounds like you're talking about tobacco and cigarettes. I wasn't talking about smoking that.
Dont do it. Weed is really stupid man.
i guess i'm a really stupid man, coz i'm gonna do it. god knows it's just a part of who i am. i decided i'll stay sober on eid though and i'll do it the next day.

I appreciate your 2 cents, we're all forumers here but that doesn't mean we all don't care. And I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

However, after having read your post in full I have to say it sounds like you're talking about tobacco and cigarettes. I wasn't talking about smoking that.
i guess i'm a really stupid man, coz i'm gonna do it. god knows it's just a part of who i am. i decided i'll stay sober on eid though and i'll do it the next day.

I know this isn't great advice or anything[we can't do/say much without knowing your circumstances], but the way you describe getting high isn't healthy, it seems like you're just using it as a way to run away from reality, talk to someone about it. There's more ways to cope with things. The classical muslim go to is ibadat and I used to be a skeptic as well, but I found it really helped you calm down. There's the Istikhara prayer for things like this.
I dunno what else I/we can say , it's haram and so you're half-assing yourself as a Muslim by doing this. You endured through Ramadan so you can endure longer, since you're planning to do it, it's not out of neccesity(addiction) or impulse , you're the one conciously making the decision to do it.

Edzi

Why do you bother asking? The fact that you've brought it up so many times makes me think you already view it as wrong, but have already made up your mind on it. If you're looking for justification from a religious standpoint, I don't think you'll find it.

faridmon

Sadly I have to break my fast today. I have been sick in and out all week, and the back of the camel broke, when I got home from work on Friday, planned to have a itle nap and happend to wake up after Fajr. I am really feeling sick at the moment and I don't think I can endure another 3 - 21 fasting with no food at all.

Baki

I'm caught up this week with college errands. I'm free this weekend, so whichever works for EV. Also checking with the other gaffer to see when she's free. She might have work. I guess it can be the three of us and then I can hang out again with Art another time?

P.S. EV if you happen to know any good spots to check out, let us know. Trying to see where I can grab a turn of Tekken 7 in the meantime.

A meetup. What city?

Imma gonna invite myself

Baki

Man, can't believe the end of Ramadan is near. While it messed up my sleeping cycle, I enjoyed fasting and I really hope I keep on fasting throughout the whole year.

Dude, Don't smoke.

Even if there was no religious reason, Its bad for your health, teeth, character and your wallet.

Nice. Football Gaf

Madouu

Sadly I have to break my fast today. I have been sick in and out all week, and the back of the camel broke, when I got home from work on Friday, planned to have a itle nap and happend to wake up after Fajr. I am really feeling sick at the moment and I don't think I can endure another 3 - 21 fasting with no food at all.

Get better soon, there is no point in straining yourself, get some rest!

I know this isn't great advice or anything[we can't do/say much without knowing your circumstances], but the way you describe getting high isn't healthy, it seems like you're just using it as a way to run away from reality, talk to someone about it. There's more ways to cope with things. The classical muslim go to is ibadat and I used to be a skeptic as well, but I found it really helped you calm down. There's the Istikhara prayer for things like this.
I dunno what else I/we can say , it's haram and so you're half-assing yourself as a Muslim by doing this. You endured through Ramadan so you can endure longer, since you're planning to do it, it's not out of neccesity(addiction) or impulse , you're the one conciously making the decision to do it.
you're right that i'm not really doing it in a healthy way but i'm just not happy with life. half a year ago I made a thread about it and although things have oscillated since then I can't say things have improved. i've got a lot of issues man, deep rooted and buried within but i don't want to derail the thread.

also, i thought i mentioned in this thread that i've been having trouble identifying as a muslim as of late. i follow the religion because i was raised in it and it's my way of connecting to god. but i don't agree with everything in the religion, if the way i understand it is the right way.

and you're right, i've endured nearly a month without doing it and i could endure more, but i want to go back to it. god knows this. god also knows that satan has a strong grip on my soul and that going to jumma, trying to get closer to the ummah just isn't helping. i went to the masjid for lailatal qadr last night but it really didn't strengthen my faith unfortunately.
Why do you bother asking?
what? obviously i am asking because i want to hear muslimGAF's opnions.
The fact that you've brought it up so many times makes me think you already view it as wrong, but have already made up your mind on it. If you're looking for justification from a religious standpoint, I don't think you'll find it.
i'm not looking for justification. i just want to know if smoking on eid is worse than smoking on any other day, or if it is the same as smoking any day. it's the reason why i stopped for ramadan.

you're right that i'm not really doing it in a healthy way but i'm just not happy with life. half a year ago I made a thread about it and although things have oscillated since then I can't say things have improved. i've got a lot of issues man, deep rooted and buried within but i don't want to derail the thread.

also, i thought i mentioned in this thread that i've been having trouble identifying as a muslim as of late. i follow the religion because i was raised in it and it's my way of connecting to god. but i don't agree with everything in the religion, if the way i understand it is the right way.

and you're right, i've endured nearly a month without doing it and i could endure more, but i want to go back to it. god knows this. god also knows that satan has a strong grip on my soul and that going to jumma, trying to get closer to the ummah just isn't helping. i went to the masjid for lailatal qadr last night but it really didn't strengthen my faith unfortunately.
what? obviously i am asking because i want to hear muslimGAF's opnions.i'm not looking for justification. i just want to know if smoking on eid is worse than smoking on any other day, or if it is the same as smoking any day. it's the reason why i stopped for ramadan.

Dont know if it's worse than smoking than any other day, but at least make an effort not too on eid. Especially since you may be spending time w/ family and friends and dont want to smell like weed around them. Also you made it through 30 days w/o doing it, you can last one more day

Dont know if it's worse than smoking than any other day, but at least make an effort not too on eid. Especially since you may be spending time w/ family and friends and dont want to smell like weed around them. Also you made it through 30 days w/o doing it, you can last one more day
if i go out in public i always make sure to cover up the smell. but i'll be away from home on eid since i work in the city. i may be able to see extended family. if that's the reason why you're saying not to do it then it shouldn't be a problem.

but if it's because it's sacrilegious or blasphemous, then i'll refrain.

what? obviously i am asking because i want to hear muslimGAF's opnions.i'm not looking for justification. i just want to know if smoking on eid is worse than smoking on any other day, or if it is the same as smoking any day. it's the reason why i stopped for ramadan.

This is a trial of your iman, I can't tell you how to make it stronger since I don't know the specifics, if this thread makes you a better muslim I don't think anyone will care that's it's not about Ramadan specifically. The offer I made to you on the other thread still stands If you want to vent but not publicly, I'm here for you bro(I'm nowhere near qualified for this, but if I can help, I'll help) .
As for any issues you have with Islam, I suggest posting on a forum which has Muslims from different sects etc, I posted once on reddit and they were pretty calm. Continuing this way isn't healthy and the problem will only get worse, you're not going to feel Islam is any more correct this way so the only way if things continue is you losing your faith, which is horrible, I've seen people lose their faith and then become worse human beings due to all the pent up rage which they blame Islam for but from my experience was a variety of other factors, they even reverted back. My point is no good can come from you continuing this way. Honestly one of the best ways my iman has gotten stronger is through reading a translation of the quran with Tafsir, the insights given may even touch home.

if i go out in public i always make sure to cover up the smell. but i'll be away from home on eid since i work in the city. i may be able to see extended family. if that's the reason why you're saying not to do it then it shouldn't be a problem.

but if it's because it's sacrilegious or blasphemous, then i'll refrain.

well it's both but im just saying it as another reason not to. The choice is ultimately up to you honestly. We can't force you to do it or not

This is a trial of your iman, I can't tell you how to make it stronger since I don't know the specifics, if this thread makes you a better muslim I don't think anyone will care that's it's not about Ramadan specifically. The offer I made to you on the other thread still stands If you want to vent but not publicly, I'm here for you bro(I'm nowhere near qualified for this, but if I can help, I'll help) .
i appreciate that you want to help, and the feeling is mutual if you ever need someone to talk to as well, i'm just afraid that although you may care, there is not something reasonable that i can ask of you. but it does mean a lot that you want to help.

i feel like i have failed the trial of my iman, this year...it's deteriorating every single day. i was driving today and thinking that we are all slaves to god, and whether or not i am faithfully practicing religion, i am still a slave, this life...i'm really not about it. it's not for me.
As for any issues you have with Islam, I suggest posting on a forum which has Muslims from different sects etc, I posted once on reddit and they were pretty calm. Continuing this way isn't healthy and the problem will only get worse, you're not going to feel Islam is any more correct this way so the only way if things continue is you losing your faith, which is horrible, I've seen people lose their faith and then become worse human beings due to all the pent up rage which they blame Islam for but from my experience was a variety of other factors, they even reverted back. My point is no good can come from you continuing this way. Honestly one of the best ways my iman has gotten stronger is through reading a translation of the quran with Tafsir, the insights given may even touch home.
i don't blame islam, per se. it just hasn't worked out for me lately. while there's a lot of muslims i've come across whom the stuff they had to say i don't appreciate, at the same time i've of course met muslims who are absolutely inspirational.

i can't throw judgement either way, sometimes i can't help but do it even though i know i'm wrong, it's just so psychological. it could also be coz the devil in me's got too strong of a grip on my soul. i can only try to be the best that i can, be thankful for what i have because there are humans much worse off than me but still somehow i can't appreciate being where i am.
well it's both but im just saying it as another reason not to. The choice is ultimately up to you honestly. We can't force you to do it or not
if it is indeed sacrilegious/blasphemous then yeah, that's reason enough for me to put it off. hopefully. i just really want to finally do it again.

Madouu

@The Artisan: There is no one Islam, find the path that is suitable to you, the one that convinces you. It doesn't have to be an established madhab or whatever fancy word people want to use.

The first step for positive change is acceptance. You have to accept who you are, your flaws, your past mistakes, your sins but also your achievements, your qualities and your good deeds. Accept that we all strive to be better and that in itself is really hard work. It takes a lot of time, it takes patience and you won't necessarily see the results right away but that is how you know you are on a path that's worth taking.

As far as depression and smoking goes, I firmly believe that this is something you have to discuss with a doctor that knows the particular interactions between the two. I don't know if you have already done that, but in my opinion, it should be at the top of the list of your priorities. Make sure to get a second and third opinion too as mental health is a very complicated matter. If doctors tell you that smoking is one of the reasons you are having these difficulties, then you will have to work on that, if not, well, then you work on whatever other issues you are able to identify and ignore people telling you otherwise. This doesn't have to be about religion.

Remember that Islam is not only about serving Allah but I'd argue, most importantly, about bringing happiness to you and those around you, and that is in my opinion the ultimate form of serving God. You seem to be living through an intense internal struggle, my advice to you would be to identify the contradictions that are leading to this situation and think about them in a rational manner. Remember that rulings in Islam (or any law really) exist for a reason, and that the reason of the ruling is more important than the ruling. If the reason does not apply in a certain context, then the ruling too should not. That is my opinion on the matter.

Identify your core belief values (these vary from one person to another), discuss those with like-minded individuals that you can trust. Find out how your reading of Islam is compatible or not with those values and go from there.

The internal struggle between who we are and who we want to be is something we all suffer from at some point in our lives. When it comes to religion, I believe it is important that this struggle be justified by rational and convincing motivations, not just blind following of society's established rules. That is where you will get the willpower, energy and commitment to improve as a human being.

One thing I will tell you, if the main reason why you want to stop smoking is religious, then you are looking at this from the wrong angle. You should be the one defining what is sacrilegious or blasphemous. We live in a world where we are highly educated compared to people of our age even 50 years ago, you have the means of deciding for yourself. For example, let us suppose that for you, your family is the top priority and that they are pretty opposed to smoking in general. Seeing as Eid day is one where families tend to gather and spend the day together, it could be considered blasphemous for you to smoke during that day - even though you would be fine with smoking any other day - because it could negatively affect your family's state of mind, in this particular case, it is worth making the slight abstinence effort. So in a way, the question you should be asking is not "is smoking blasphemous?" but "are the consequences of smoking fundamentally negative in this particular context?".

I guess it's time for me to tell you of an anecdote about how giving up smoking can take quite a bit of commitment sometimes, I have a friend that also used to be my roommate. He was going through a really rough time in his life and was clearly depressed. He would go on these weed smoking binges for days and days and it would clearly affect his state of mind. This is a guy that was very cool usually that with time, turned into a depressive, extremely paranoid person. One day, I came back home to find that he had removed all the light bulbs from the apartment and was combing through them for signs of hidden mics or cameras because he thought he was being watched. It was quite the extreme case. It took him going back to live with his family and seeing a psychologist for a few months for him to recover. That is how he was able to stop smoking, he would have never been able to do it alone. And like I said, this is normally a very nice, educated guy and yes, a muslim. More importantly, he decided to stop smoking because he identified the negative consequences and had the proper support to do it.

I know nothing about your case, it could very well be that smoking actually helps you more than it hurts you or your entourage, that is why I encourage you once again to first see a doctor, and secondly do the work I talked about in the previous paragraphs.

Hope this helps.

The Stealth Fox

Mr. Artisan

Dude, see a psychiatrist and/or psychologist. This is coming from an orthodox Sunni Muslim who is in Psychiatry Residency. There is nothing wrong with psychiatric medication. Your depression is starting to take a life of its own. Also the use of marijuana is concerning too, but one thing at a time.

Also regarding doubts, one can work on those later. One doubt at a time, but only after you get treated.

T-Rex.

Banned
Birmingham Central Mosque has announced that Eid's on Wednesday. That's surprisingly early this time around, usually it doesn't get announced until like a day before.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Mr. Artisan

Dude, see a psychiatrist and/or psychologist. This is coming from an orthodox Sunni Muslim who is in Psychiatry Residency. There is nothing wrong with psychiatric medication. Your depression is starting to take a life of its own. Also the use of marijuana is concerning too, but one thing at a time.

Also regarding doubts, one can work on those later. One doubt at a time, but only after you get treated.
Listen to this man. smoking weed isnt the end of the world, and you admittedly have some personal issues to sort out. asking about smoking weed in a muslim thread isnt going to get you the attention you want. if anything you will get the wrong advice because some folks will always put religion over mental health.

seek a professional therapist and remember you are not the first person to lose religion. it's ok. be the best person you can be. and go see a counselor.

i appreciate that you want to help, and the feeling is mutual if you ever need someone to talk to as well, i'm just afraid that although you may care, there is not something reasonable that i can ask of you. but it does mean a lot that you want to help.
I get that you don't want to air anything which might seem offensive that's why I suggested posting on a forum anonymously , it'll be anonymous and if someone wants to be a dick, they'll get called out for it.

You're posting here because I assume you at least want some religious insight.
seeking the solution purely through Islam which has so much division within itself may not be the whole solution, we can quote the quran and duas but they won't seem to help, because of this mentality you've gotten yourself into.

In regards to your iman, that's something you need to decide, you can't compare it to anyone else's, people are given different trials and tribulations, people react differently to them , think differently. My point is, this connection is between you and Allah, if you genuinely repent and try to improve yourself, Allah has said he will forgive those who repent and open their heart. Also, you seem to be knocking yourself down before you even do anything, nobody's perfect mistakes happen, don't dwell on the mistakes you've made, learn from them and try not to repeat them. Even if you repeat them, repeat the process, just try to become a better person, irrespective of what you or others think.

We can't understand what you're going through, but maybe giving you general help will help you.
The first step is doing something yourself, we've recommended seeing a psychiatrist etc in this thread, this has a stigma attached so that's why I'm not going to keep echoing it. This might seem like rambling of someone who doesn't understand but I've been in a vaguely similar place, questioning what and why stuff was happening , the is Islam+Allah real? Etc.
Asking the dumb questions on reddit /to an imam, learning about the religion, questioning almost everything and reading+understanding the quran all helped immensely.
Here is where Islam is different, we're all taught that we're all brothers and sisters within the religion from day 1,this has many benefits, but the biggest is the support and sense of comradery it brings, you have people you can talk to in real life who won't judge you. Depression is described as digging yourself into a hole and it only getting bigger, except you're not the one who dug it but you're digging it deeper by not doing anything about it. We can continue to exchange anecdotes etc... but you need to take the huge first step.

Septic360

Banned
Birmingham Central Mosque has announced that Eid's on Wednesday. That's surprisingly early this time around, usually it doesn't get announced until like a day before.

Whaaa? That's odd. I started on a Monday so it can only be this Monday or Tuesday as it'll be 30 days on Tuesday AFAIK.

It's been a tough month, especially at work but it's been an incredible detox as always.

Weighing 8kg less! I have missed the gym massively. And music. My bowdeh is ready!

orochi91

@Artisan,

There is a fair bit of exceptional advice being given to you in this thread (and in the Muslim OT), covering a variety of key topics; all that's left is for you to take the first few steps and attempt to heed them.

Your first priority should be to meet with a doctor and/or therapist; they'll (hopefully) set you on your journey to finding inner peace.

I'll pray for your success in that personal battle with depression and internal confusion.

Zapages

This makes me really sad from the videos a few of my friends shared that is happening due to all the fear mongering due to the politics in our nation:

Ohio: https://www.facebook.com/BrotherhoodInIslam/videos/10154399292114124/ and http://www.reuters.com/article/us-florida-shooting-mosque-idUSKCN0ZJ007

and this that happened at the 53rd and 3rd avenue in Brooklyn, NY. : https://www.facebook.com/Muslims-Giving-Back-800418386698689/?fref=photo

Houston, just a few minutes ago: http://abc13.com/news/shooting-outside-sw-houston-mosque-leaves-victim-in-icu/1411728/ and http://www.independent.co.uk/news/m...stabbed-outside-mosque-in-texas-a7117031.html

Stay safe NYC Muslim-Gaf!

I really wish I could make a thread now a days considering what is occurring in the past few days.

Sch1sm

isna already said eid was friday. They base it off of astronomical calculations

Literally impossible even if you started on the 7th instead of the 6th. The date range is Tuesday-Thursday, the latter being if it goes to 30 days for those who started on the 7th.

Ashes

Banned
This makes me really sad from the videos a few of my friends shared that is happening due to all the fear mongering due to the politics in our nation:

Ohio: https://www.facebook.com/BrotherhoodInIslam/videos/10154399292114124/ and http://www.reuters.com/article/us-florida-shooting-mosque-idUSKCN0ZJ007

and this that happened at the 53rd and 3rd avenue in Brooklyn, NY. : https://www.facebook.com/Muslims-Giving-Back-800418386698689/?fref=photo

Houston, just a few minutes ago: http://abc13.com/news/shooting-outside-sw-houston-mosque-leaves-victim-in-icu/1411728/ and http://www.independent.co.uk/news/m...stabbed-outside-mosque-in-texas-a7117031.html

Stay safe NYC Muslim-Gaf!

I really wish I could make a thread now a days considering what is occurring in the past few days.

;/

Someone also set a car on fire outside of a Mosque in Perth recently too. Thankfully no one was injured during that incident. Just gotta stay vigilant.

NEO0MJ

Decided to check how my weight changed between early and late Ramadan and I lost two KG, dropping to 64 KG total. Not a good thing I feel, gotta go back to the gym.

I managed to maintain weight. The lemonade, dates and watermelons got me faaaaat. But I also learned to manage my portions better so no real significant net loss or gain.

Artisan and others:

I'd highly recommend listening to some talks from Usama Canon at the Taleef Collective. Taleef is a really welcoming space and on Sunday nights they do a great series of lectures about practical spirituality in day to day life.

http://taleefcollective.org/taleeflive/

Just FYI the program is suspended during Ramadan but should start back up next week I believe.

It really helped me with my spirituality and with coming back to Islam in a meaningful way that I agree with.

Numb

Decided to check how my weight changed between early and late Ramadan and I lost two KG, dropping to 64 KG total. Not a good thing I feel, gotta go back to the gym.

I managed to maintain weight. The lemonade, dates and watermelons got me faaaaat. But I also learned to manage my portions better so no real significant net loss or gain.
Went from 67KG to 72KG

lupe1.png

alatif113

Why don't we know the day of eid weeks in advance? Through the use of scientific tools, we can precisely determine the phases of the moon for each day of the calendar regardless of weather conditions.

EDIT: Just checked and according the recorded moon phases, eid will be on Wednesday (USA EST)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom