• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] New PS4 UI leaked

Microsoft did a good job of freshening up the dashboard every few years on the 360, so I expect they'll do something similar soon. But I didn't expect it from Sony.

LOL at people who thinks spelling "Favourite" and "colour" is the wrong way.

I once had an English teacher who was born in England (but raised in the US). I believe he actually had dual citizenship and traveled a lot between the countries. I once asked him what he preferred O or Ou (as in Favorite/Favourite) or Er or Re (as in Theater/Theatre). He told me he preferred the American way, since the English way signified the Normandy Invasion of 1066, which introduced French (and in turn, Latin into the English language). I believe he lamented the loss of what English was prior to that, especially the loss of literature truly native to England (Beowulf, the exception).

The new UI looks pretty good, I would guess Sony will announce the new FW at GamesCom, or will release it there. Would be cool make folders for your favorites like on Android.

I once had an English teacher who was born in England (but raised in the US). I believe he actually had dual citizenship and traveled a lot between the countries. I once asked him what he preferred O or Ou (as in Favorite/Favourite) or Er or Re (as in Theater/Theatre). He told me he preferred the American way, since the English way signified the Normandy Invasion of 1066, which introduced French (and in turn, Latin into the English language). I believe he lamented the loss of what English was prior to that, especially the loss of literature truly native to England (Beowulf, the exception).

But America was formed way after 1066 so his argument is a tad odd.

Bradf50

Oh I didnt know you made it :p Hope I didnt sound like a jerk, I wasn't criticizing you, just the way Sony has their XMB set up... I feel like they can make good bank on user created themes/premium themes, and the PS3 versions had a lot of nice space.

I'd like to see how it would look like if the tiles were moved around like I said. I would do it, but I have no skill.

No problem at all buddy. :) Nah it's fair criticism towards their interface, I'm becoming impatient just like the rest of you. I tell ya what though, if on the unlikely chance that this is real, it would be one hell of an update and address a few of my concerns. It may not be everything but it takes a considerable step. :)

Fake. Shadow Fall is in the Favorite Games section.

LOL. Seriously speaking though, Sony would totally put it in there regardless if there are people on both sides of the fence about whether it belongs there lol.

Edit: Holy shit! I'm a member now!!!!! Yes!!! I love you all! Thank you!

Congrats!

Ahhh now put some custom backgrounds I am will be happy

Agreed, nameable folders and custom backgrounds/themes are two things I hope we get in the near future.

Aside from ofcourse the non-UI stuff like DLNA and mp3 and basic movie file playback.

RedAssedApe

Banned
It's fake, says so right there on the website
Well all they do is reference reddit. At this point "Sony dev" is no better than Tidux. I.e. saying things that have already been hinted at by others or just common sense features that ps4 owners have asked for.

Yes it's probably fake. But I'm still hoping for something at gamescom. At the very least friend notifications.

Well all they do is reference reddit. At this point "Sony dev" is no better than Tidux. I.e. saying things that have already been hinted at by others or just common sense features that ps4 owners have asked for.

Speaking of Tidux, has he "leaked" anything about this? Off topic, but on the topic of "insiders" does anyone know why Thuway's Twitter account was suspended? The last thing I saw from him correctly leaked the Resident Evil remake.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Speaking of Tidux, has he "leaked" anything about this? Off topic, but on the topic of "insiders" does anyone know why Thuway's Twitter account was suspended? The last thing I saw from him correctly leaked the Resident Evil remake.

He's been pretty quiet lately. Something about haters. ;) Although he did tweet awhile back about 1.8 coming at or around Gamescom. Grain of salt though. Dunno what's up with thuway. Thought he had posted about RE after we already knew about it tho.

Chobel

He said many things, most of them are predictable.

Oh yeah I remembered, he said PSnow will launch this year in Europe, the date to be announced in Gamescom.

Hmmm...

Continue this thread...

Hopefully it's page number serves as a shout of customer complaint to Sony and things get done. It's one of those things that you don't really realize you want change until you have 50+games.

llexan

Fake or not I like this proposed update. Adds some nice polish to the main PS menu. And dat new notification system. Sony, pls.

Mik2121

These videos just seem like a lot of extra work to keep faking something like this...
You seem to underestimate how much free time some people has.
Also those videos don't really take that long to make. The transitions aren't even that smooth.

Now, this could be real (doubt it), but then it would be even worse because this doesn't look professional at all!

Looking at this again after using the PS4 again today and yeah. Its super fake.

Outside of some of the first thing found on google image search game logos The X button prompt and the rest of the button prompts used here really do not fit with the current PlayStation OS design language. They look like something quickly in photoshop without looking at how they would be used or copied from somewhere else.

ZangBa

You seem to underestimate how much free time some people has.
Also those videos don't really take that long to make. The transitions aren't even that smooth.

Now, this could be real (doubt it), but then it would be even worse because this doesn't look professional at all!

Can't you just let me believe? :<

"Too much time on their hands"

these videos can be made in less than an hour i'm afraid. lol. I don't see any traces of after effects "blur" going on either (it could simply be off, but most people turn it on)

i'm feeling hopeful.

Splint

Why would Sony use the PS3's controller PS Button? And why would they switch to black after going blue for so long.

KevinG

I've grown to love the Xbox One UI over the PS4 UI. Both are nice, but the improvements from the Xbox team have been impressive.

Hoping this seeming absence of Sony for stability updates means that they've been hard at work on some awesome updates.

morpix

I've grown to love the Xbox One UI over the PS4 UI. Both are nice, but the improvements from the Xbox team have been impressive.

Hoping this seeming absence of Sony for stability updates means that they've been hard at work on some awesome updates.

Both are pretty terrible tbh.

The XBone UI needs to do away with the Splash screen for every "app". Making transitions much quicker. Also, they need to speed up the friends app by miles. It's just annoying organizing a lobby/party if people aren't in your friends or recently played lists.

The PS4 UI on the other hand is seriously lacking folders, music/video/DLNA and any sort of customization. I just want a black background. This thread and the screenshots shown looks like a great improvement (especially if that Fez Soundtrack is MP3 and not just added from Music Unlimited).

Between the bf4 and Rayman video I'm in the real camp, I don't Rayman is out on PC (that's what I was skeptical for the bf4 video). That reddit member doesn't mean a whole lot to me.

Pimpwerx

Huh. No way someone is going through the trouble of making a mockup interface video. If it's fake, that has to be a first. That seems like s lot of effort just for a fake. I know custom boot animations are one thing, but this is a bit much. I really like the interface. It also seems more responsive than what we currently have. Please make it so, Sony. If it's a fake, it's the template they need to use. The reactions in this thread are telling. PEACE.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Huh. No way someone is going through the trouble of making a mockup interface video. If it's fake, that has to be a first. That seems like s lot of effort just for a fake. I know custom boot animations are one thing, but this is a bit much. I really like the interface. It also seems more responsive than what we currently have. Please make it so, Sony. If it's a fake, it's the template they need to use. The reactions in this thread are telling. PEACE.

So if there's a video, it sure can't be fake. Got it

Pimpwerx

So if there's a video, it sure can't be fake. Got it
Oversimplification. Given precedent (or lack thereof), and there are a few other things. Fakes usually omit details, like look at the SF and SS pics. The bg uses a blended and cropped version of an image from each game, whereas the folder one doesn't. It's an attention to detail and a level of effort that frankly exceeds all previous fakes to date. It's not open and shut, but the probability that it's a fake decreases as the quality of the mockup increases. I remember PS3 xmb fakes being off screen or poorly photo shopped affairs. Disagree if you want. Means nothing to me. PEACE.

SPDIF

Oversimplification. Given precedent (or lack thereof), and there are a few other things. Fakes usually omit details, like look at the SF and SS pics. The bg uses a blended and cropped version of an image from each game, whereas the folder one doesn't. It's an attention to detail and a level of effort that frankly exceeds all previous fakes to date. It's not open and shut, but the probability that it's a fake decreases as the quality of the mockup increases. I remember PS3 xmb fakes being off screen or poorly photo shopped affairs. Disagree if you want. Means nothing to me. PEACE.

I think you underestimate just how much spare time some (dedicated) fans have on their hands.

Pimpwerx

I think you underestimate just how much spare time some (dedicated) fans have on their hands.
Found any other xmb interface fakes even close to this? Boot animations are totally different. They don't have to adhere to any set standards, whereas the differences in interface mockups stand out immediately. The nonsensical changes are what make it easy to spot the fake. In these mockups, the alterations aren't really nonsensical. It's also incredibly popular in this thread. The odds a fan mockup can garner such universal praise? Is there actual precedent here or are we just playing devil's advocate because there's like no chance Sony makes an update that's worthwhile? Because the merits of the actual mockup itself don't warrant this level of speculation IMO. This is easily one of the best fakes we've seen on the console end to date. Am I wrong? PEACE.

How wold you even fake a video like this?

Really easy, record your gameplay footage to include going into switching to MP. Grab your Photoshop assets (the new UI assets) and load them into an video editing program of your choice (I'm personally most comfortable with After Effects for something like this).

Add in the Photoshop assets then animate/tween them to simulate the UI functioning.

I could whip up a similar video in like an hour's worth of time (honestly not even an hour).

Top Bottom