• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Zelda coming to both Wii U + NX, choose between male/female link, VA for NPCs

Who would you like to be the female character option in Zelda U?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Griss

Incorrect. Gamergators would be upset with any female playable character.

Well, sure, but I'm not talking about those people - anything female related whatsoever angers them. I'm talking about average Zelda fans like me that hold no sexist bias towards game characters. I still would rather not see a female link, I'm strongly against it.

Everyone who wanted and expected Female Link would be upset.

There's really no outcome to this in which at least one group is not upset.

Well, if you say so. In that case they've painted themselves into an unfortunate corner.

Nyoro SF

Male Link is riding on his horse through the forest. BOOM! Female Link drop kicks him off the saddle and she takes over.

OK, that would be pretty hilarious. Though unfortunately it would piss people off despite being funny.

I think that if they do reveal it with say a trailer I hope they go for a real grand reveal. Male Link has always looked cool, so there's no reason why female Link can't be just as cool as he is. I hope they don't make any concessions in terms of style.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
First they appeared in Super Mario Maker, and now Zelda.

Babymetal is really going to raise eyebrows when they are revealed at E3.

Well, sure, but I'm not talking about those people - anything female related whatsoever angers them. I'm talking about average Zelda fans like me that hold no sexist bias towards game characters. I still would rather not see a female link, I'm strongly against it.

Well, if you say so. In that case they've painted themselves into an unfortunate corner.

Fair enough, although I don't see how you could see Link as anything but a blank slate. I agree with your second point but having a separate female character wouldn't solve it. There would still basically be a gender select but no race select.

AGITΩ

Fair enough, although I don't see how you could see Link as anything but a blank slate. I agree with your second point but having a separate female character wouldn't solve it. There would still basically be a gender select but no race select.
Because most of the time you don't really make personal decisions that affect story in the Games and Link still actively has his own way he goes about things without the player to choose. Especially with all the emoting in Skyward Sword. Some scenes were straight up "you harmed my girl, imma wreck your shit" stuff.

tolkir

Yes, but the implication is that many of the people who voted for other female characters wouldn't be happy with a gender select for Link, while the reverse doesn't hold true. I'm one of those people and have stated my reasons why in this very thread (multiple times, I think).

On the other hand, no one would be particularly upset if we play as Linkle or Zelda or Shiek or Impa or whoever. That's the point - there's only one option that will upset a proportion of the audience.

As I said earlier, it all comes down to whether you think Link is a blank slate avatar (as many in this thread have argued) or not (my personal opinion).

The points against female link tend to be one or multiple of the following:
1) If he's a defined character having a gender select makes no sense
2) Having a gender select without a create-a-character / race select makes little sense
3) Link is iconic from a brand and marketing point of view beyond just his tunic, this would dilute that

I'd agree with the first two but probably not the third.

What would happen if female Link is named Linkle by default?

Doesn't make sense to play with Zelda or Impa, unless it exists different stories. It's like if people want to play with Ganon.
This isn't Hyrule Warriors.

AGITΩ;202140067 said:
Because most of the time you don't really make personal decisions that affect story in the Games and Link still actively has his own way he goes about things without the player to choose. Especially with all the emoting in Skyward Sword. Some scenes were straight up "you harmed my girl, imma wreck your shit" stuff.
This is the strange thing about the "blank slate" idea.

Without more input into the world, Link feels like less of a blank slate (a term to me which implies something will be written on the slate) and more of just a "plain" character

balgajo

People made Link the most bought amiibo. There is a lot of people who likes him as a character.

I sure as hell hope it's just a optional feature to choose between male or female Link, because i sure don't want more bad news. It really is no big deal to me if you can be a female Link. It certainly wouldn't make me angry. Is that what Emily Rogers thinks? I don't necessarily hope Nintendo will only show a female Link during the event or whatever it will be, but if they do, still not a huge deal.

Top Bottom