• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Zelda coming to both Wii U + NX, choose between male/female link, VA for NPCs

Who would you like to be the female character option in Zelda U?

Results are only viewable after voting.
SS had a good narrative? "You need to become the hero so good thing all these hero-becoming doodads and challenges are lying around?"

If you're talking about the character stuff, fine, yeah. But in terms of overall plot, ha.

Impa was the only really compelling thing about SS's narrative imo (her final scene in the game is one of the most memorable in the series). Everything else was just more of the series' usual fare. Some of the prior games had much stronger narratives if you count sidequests as part of the story. Adding a romance between Link and Zelda doesn't automatically make the plot deep.

Dremark

Banned
Link has a personality in SS, and a bit in TP too. Just because he has no dialogue boxes doesn't really negate that.
Making him speak a little when necessary would be good, I feel.
Giving everyone VA and having them talk to Link and him ignoring their responses like in MGSV would be pretty jarring, much more so than if there wasn't any VA

They should get Sutherland to voice Link.

Male and Female Links.

They can hire David Hayter first and then fire him later too.

Dremark

Banned
no randomize link based on your console's serial number

I considered making that joke earlier but the threads about the game are always so much shorter than these I didn't think anyone would get the reference.

It would be funny to see all the people complain that they got the gender for Link that they didn't want or if they got male that his penis is too small.

Meesh

They should get Sutherland to voice Link.

Male and Female Links.

They can hire David Hayter first and then fire him later too.
Only if Morgan Freeman voices Links new companion/Navi.

Edit: they should hire him to voice Zeldas next commercials :3

Dremark

Banned
Only if Morgan Freeman voices Links new companion/Navi.

Edit: they should hire him to voice Zeldas next commercials :3

Have Freeman narrate the entire game on the fly.

"Link(le) walked through the empty field and kept walking, and kept walking"

(Player runs to the restroom without pausing)

"Then (s)he stopped... And stood there... And stood there..."

Would be completely pointless, but Freeman is so awesome and has such a great voice there's no way it could ever get annoying.

KORNdoggy

I can get on board with the voice acting if it's good and can be turned off but choosing between male and female I don't like. That's not because I have anything against the character being a girl but it needs to be either or and not a choice.

when your character is mute it becomes pretty irrelevant.

i'm so happy to hear about voiced NPC's though. zelda has needed that since they went to disc based media imo. there has been no excuse for it not to.

assuming the rumours are true of course.

When it's revealed that you can play as Linkle it will be interesting to see the reactions, I can see some people getting upset that it's not female Link.

tbh, I don't think you get a lot of backlash for that necessarily, unless Nintendo's dumb enough to force Linkle to play nothing like Link and have a joke-tier story.

Shiggy

For the sake of "no discrimination", I hope we can choose skin color, gender, and sexuality of all characters before the game starts. Then people will not only blame the long prologue, but also the long character making process.

TrueBlue

Probably unrelated, but in an earlier tweet she says those who hold the belief that NX will match/exceed PS4K specs is delusional.

balgajo

After her tweet I'm really fearing a female Link option.
That's the only option where people will get angry as fuck. I think everybody wants to play as Zelda/Sheik/Impa and that would be awesome.

BY2K

Membero Americo
If anything Zelda should at least be pretty hype.

Nintendo wouldn't do an entire E3 focused on it if it wasn't.

Still wondering, female Link or Linkle. This will be interesting.
I really hope its female Link. I like Linkle from what I've seen (haven't played HWL) but her name not being Link makes her not feel legit.

I'm really just scratching my head that they deicded to do female Link now, but not in Tri Force Heroes where a customizable Link is the main draw. I won't complain if all Zelda games have female Link from now on tho.

Griss

What? Look the poll.

Yes, but the implication is that many of the people who voted for other female characters wouldn't be happy with a gender select for Link, while the reverse doesn't hold true. I'm one of those people and have stated my reasons why in this very thread (multiple times, I think).

On the other hand, no one would be particularly upset if we play as Linkle or Zelda or Shiek or Impa or whoever. That's the point - there's only one option that will upset a proportion of the audience.

As I said earlier, it all comes down to whether you think Link is a blank slate avatar (as many in this thread have argued) or not (my personal opinion).

The points against female link tend to be one or multiple of the following:
1) If he's a defined character having a gender select makes no sense
2) Having a gender select without a create-a-character / race select makes little sense
3) Link is iconic from a brand and marketing point of view beyond just his tunic, this would dilute that

I'd agree with the first two but probably not the third.

AGITΩ

I really hope its female Link. I like Linkle from what I've seen (haven't played HWL) but her name not being Link makes her not feel legit.

I'm really just scratching my head that they deicded to do female Link now, but not in Tri Force Heroes where a customizable Link is the main draw. I won't complain if all Zelda games have female Link from now on tho.
Though for some of us, we'd prefer the Female option being a Linkle or an established female character. The majority of the debate isn't a female option. Its gender bending what a lot of us associate as Link being the default name for a Male protagonist.

Yes, but the implication is that many of the people who voted for other female characters wouldn't be happy with a gender select for Link, while the reverse doesn't hold true. I'm one of those people and have stated my reasons why in this very thread (multiple times, I think).

On the other hand, no one would be particularly upset if we play as Linkle or Zelda or Shiek or Impa or whoever. That's the point - there's only one option that will upset a proportion of the audience.

As I said earlier, it all comes down to whether you think Link is a blank slate avatar (as many in this thread have argued) or not (my personal opinion).

Incorrect. Gamergaters would be upset with any female playable character.

CronoShot

Everyone who wanted and expected Female Link would be upset.

There's really no outcome to this in which at least one group is not upset.

AGITΩ;202139015 said:
Though for some of us, we'd prefer the Female option being a Linkle or an established female character. The majority of the debate isn't a female option. Its gender bending what a lot of us associate as Link being the default name for a Male protagonist.

This will never not be insane to me.

Top Bottom