• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: PS4 Slim leaked ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaostar

I dont think it is simplistic. The uneeded rounded edges, the textutered plastic, the strange button placement.

Kids toys are very simplistic and they mostly all have rounded edges. Is what I said really that controversial? I guess simplicity, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

dcx4610

No UHD logo anywhere. Looks like it'll be a standard Blu-ray drive and likely $299.

Looks like they'll hold off until Neo for UHD.

Why does Sony not go for clean look?

Those wierd gap between top and bottom, so ugly. Am I the only one it annoys?

I thought in redesgin they will get rid of it.

Because if this is the real PS4 slim they must keep some of the OG PS4 design, you know for some product recognition!

anyone who thinks PS4 or this new slim design is simplistic is an idiot.

You should really open some books on design and you know read a little. ;)

Yup. But you do have to agree that Xbox One and S are both very simple and clean looking console. No weird gaps or shape just for sake of it to look different.

Is there any engineering reason behind the gap and eraser shape of PS4? It always looked to me like some kid designed it to make it look futuristic. It does look cool though, but gets boring pretty soon. And has no functional benefit.

The only thing I don't like about the One and the One S are the vents on the top of the console. I mean, I understand how amazingly functional it is, but I just don't like the look.

Maximus P

Kids toys are very simplistic and they mostly all have rounded edges. Is what I said really that controversial? I guess simplicity, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Yeah, but kids toys have rounded edges for a reason.

Obviously this is subjective, but i would have prefered edges like the OG ps4, less of a gap (or removed completely) front facing buttons and un textured plastic.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Old PS4
yUbQWm9l.jpg

New PS4
ePGVuqW.png

take that how you will

Breakage

Sony haven't produced a good-looking slim revision since the PS2 slim.
It's like they really want consumers to know that they're buying the cheaper PlayStation - you don't even get the iconic blue light bar. It looks shit.

Nhutty

I personally think it looks fine, and this will probably make lots of xmas stockings for the young ones if its priced right. The Neo will no doubt be cutting edge design wise for the hardcore gamers out there.

KORNdoggy

Yup. But you do have to agree that Xbox One and S are both very simple and clean looking console. No weird gaps or shape just for sake of it to look different.

Is there any engineering reason behind the gap and eraser shape of PS4? It always looked to me like some kid designed it to make it look futuristic. It does look cool though, but gets boring pretty soon. And has no functional benefit.

I do, and that's exactly why I think PS4 design doesn't qualify in simplistic list.

The gap has ventilation. Its a means to have vantilation without having a massive grill on the top or side (see xbox one) they're retaining clean lines, not muddying them with vent holes.

And since when is the box on your shelf supposed to entertain you ? "Boring" in this context makes no sense.

Sony haven't produced a good-looking slim revision since the PS2 slim.
It's like they really want consumers to know that they're buying the cheaper PlayStation - you don't even get the iconic blue light bar. It looks shit.

What blue light bar? That thing has been misrepresented since the beginning. It's an ugly ass white light bar, but every documentation and picture shows it blue. When Sony held it up on stage it was blue. But no, it's only that in diagnostic mode. The white light bar is ugly.

Real and $249. Not sure why people care so much about how it looks. It's not like you are going to be staring at the thing all day like a phone or even TV.

Kitsune86

Neo Member
Is it cool if I drop a link to my own work? I really do believe that Sony should not only unveil this slim console but also give the PS Vita an upgrade with a set of triggers and an HDMI port.

They've shown support for the platform in terms of OS by fixing that Kernal exploit in a matter of days. They shouldn't give up on their handheld either. Linking here because I sourced this thread ^__^

http://www.brokenjoysticks.net/2016...new-products-playstation-meeting-makes-sense/

Breakage

What blue light bar? That thing has been misrepresented since the beginning. It's an ugly ass white light bar, but every documentation and picture shows it blue. When Sony held it up on stage it was blue. But no, it's only that in diagnostic mode. The white light bar is ugly.

Yeah, it's damn shame that the light bar doesn't stay blue - it sets the PS4 apart from other electronic devices. This revision looks like another forgettable black box.

LostDonkey

Is it cool if I drop a link to my own work? I really do believe that Sony should not only unveil this slim console but also give the PS Vita an upgrade with a set of triggers and an HDMI port.

They've shown support for the platform in terms of OS by fixing that Kernal exploit in a matter of days. They shouldn't give up on their handheld either. Linking here because I sourced this thread ^__^

http://www.brokenjoysticks.net/2016...new-products-playstation-meeting-makes-sense/

TOS Section II.E

On Demand

Banned

I use to think that was an engineering mistake, but no firmware update or console revision changed it. So it's just Sony being Sony I guess. The blue would look so much better.

etta

my hard graphic balls
people saying matte looks cheap. you'd rather have glossy?
Dude it's not the matte that looks cheap, it's the design/texture of the plastic. The S is matte too but the plastic itself looks more premium quality. I prefer matte as well but that plastic looks like the cheapest type that you could find.

I'm hoping for $250 and even I think that's a stretch. I'm expecting $299.

Why not somewhere in between? I could see a $275 - $285 just to say they're under 300. All this depends on how much the Neo is though, if it's 400 then they probably want to get the normal PS4 cheaper, if it's anymore than 400 I can see 300 sticking for the normal PS4.

EagleEyes

That's ugly as hell. Curved edges and cheap looking matte plastics.
Well lets be honest, imo Sony hasn't had a premium piece of gaming hardware since the launch PS3. I don't know why anyone would expect this thing to not look a little cheap. I hope they go all out with the Neo and make a premium looking console.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1. I think the OG PS4 is 2nd only to the PS2 in best designed consoles of all time

2. I think this PS4 slim leak looks pretty damn good. I love rounded edges and the matte finish. Another black box my ass.

injurai

Banned
Well lets be honest, imo Sony hasn't had a premium piece of gaming hardware since the launch PS3. I don't know why anyone would expect this thing to not look a little cheap. I hope they go all out with the Neo and make a premium looking console.

I too remember PS4 wobble-gate.

I use to think that was an engineering mistake, but no firmware update or console revision changed it. So it's just Sony being Sony I guess. The blue would look so much better.

That's how I always took it. Like, they manufactured the first big lot with the LED's swapped, and they just said "fuck it, just do it"

witness

If Neo is 2017 then I may need this out of necessity as mine sounds like a turbine engine and the controller is falling apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom