• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seller of Durango devkit says Durango info is old, compares to Orbis better

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaxJag

Banned
Makes sense considering the PS3 was released a full year after the 360 and is barely anymore powerful, let alone was missing tons of feature which the 360 had.

Sky Chief

MS is gonna release multiple Xbox hardware this year. This is almost past the point of rumor, since we have a bunch of sites reporting on this recently, and we got that tech podcast where the guy with MS info confirms that it will be so.

2 different Xbox's, mean 2 different markets. This should be worth examining, because it makes perfect sense that one of these devices will mainly exist because of Google and Apple, and the other won't.

Sounds unfocused and risky to me

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Have you talked to a typical Microsoft investor lately? I have. They don't see Sony as any threat at all. Google and Apple are the threats to Microsoft, and games are just one form of apps/services. You might not like to hear it (don't kill the messenger) but the investors want Microsoft to slow the rise of Android and iOS, which requires a much broader strategy than chasing fickle core gamers around.
Are those the same people rallying behind Windows 8?

Is this your cryptic way of saying he's Kotaku's source?

He provided Kotaku with Orbis dev kits specs recently, and is going to do the same with Durango apparently.

Sounds unfocused and risky to me

Yes.

But it really depends on how different the hardware is. If they are positioned in different markets, it can work.

In that sense that for example, one would be an Xbox tablet and the other a home console. That wouldn't create confusion because essentially, they are two completely different products.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Is this your cryptic way of saying he's Kotaku's source?

While I can't speak for him or her, that's most likely the case. He or she is also most likely implying that Kotaku will leak the supposed new details regarding Durango's specs, which would theoretically explain why this source is suddenly so cryptic.

EDIT: And beaten.

Reiko

Banned
The guy that sold a development unit on Ebay is suddenly being coy with info? If it runs around flapping its arms like an attention whore, it's probably an attention whore.

VGleaks is also posting bread crumbs when they have more info than what they are leading on.

He just posted that for Twitter.

VGleaks posts stuff for speculation & hits.

Pistolero

Makes sense considering the PS3 was released a full year after the 360 and is barely anymore powerful, let alone was missing tons of feature which the 360 had.

That's because the PS3 architecture was decided upon around the same time. The extra months had more to do with Bluray diodes limited availability and poor Cell yields...

edit: did someone just call core gamers fickle? What the fuck am I reading?
Games industry grows steadily over the last 25 years with the core gamer as audience (after the devoid of any quality shovelware crash in the 80s that , hold on to your butt! alienated the gamer), core gamers are fickle yo.
It's the casuals who are fickle and will abandon any industry on a whim, that is why they are casuals, they aren't invested they aren't enthusiasts they are only interested for a while.

I'm not saying they'll abandon the hobby or the industry. Read my post again. I never even remotely suggested that.

But core gamers will abandon a console maker in a heartbeat. Ask Atari. Ask Sega. Ask Nintendo. Ask Sony. Ask AMD. Ask Nvidia. Brand loyalty among core gamers is pretty low.

We ARE a fickle bunch. But we have every right to be. We pay the most $$$.

If you bothered to understand a post before commenting, maybe you wouldn't find yourself asking "What the fuck am I reading?" so often.

Xenon

Do you mean "Don Quixote"s?

No I meant this guy!

kYmeUdP.jpg

That's my story and Im sticking to it.

El_Chino

If i'm not mistaken, after trying to sell the unit on eBay he was paid a visit by some Microsoft ninjas and since then he's been pretty hush hush.

the interesting thing about his supposed knowledge on Orbis is that he "had access to" that document, but only decided to tell kotaku some small snippets of info. you'd think in a 90 page pdf we'd get something juicer than what he gave them.

we also don't know if sony REALLY DOES plan on giving out final kits this summer, which too, could be better than the specs that will supposedly get leaked to kotaku and be Durango's final specs. their could be a contingency plan for if MS bumped up Durango.

this is all so silly.

Cool. I'm a gamer. So I'll buy the products of the company that makes stuff for me.

This is silly talk to me. If you get a free XBox or can get one for super-cheap with your TV subscription, and there are good games for it, you're still gonna say "oh no thanks...I only care about MAX SPECZ0RZ, I'll stick to the crappy dumb DVR you usually only provide for old people!" for real?

If you are a gamer that hung up about specs, you should probably be in the PC-only camp.

Reiko

Banned
the interesting thing about his supposed knowledge on Orbis is that he "had access to" that document, but only decided to tell kotaku some small snippets of info. you'd think in a 90 page pdf we'd get something juicer than what he gave them.

we also don't know if sony REALLY DOES plan on giving out final kits this summer, which too, could be better than the specs that will supposedly get leaked to kotaku and be Durango's final specs. their could be a contingency plan for if MS bumped up Durango.

this is all so silly.

Next Gen Cold War.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
If i'm not mistaken, after trying to sell the unit on eBay he was paid a visit by some Microsoft ninjas and since then he's been pretty hush hush.

plus a huge fine. this isnt like stealing candy. your pretty much 86'd from the industry. ms games division would let all its partners and competitors in the industry know about this guy.

I'm not saying they'll abandon the hobby or the industry. Read my post again. I never even remotely suggested that.

But core gamers will abandon a console maker in a heartbeat. Ask Atari. Ask Sega. Ask Nintendo. Ask Sony. Ask AMD. Ask Nvidia. Brand loyalty among core gamers is pretty low.

We ARE a fickle bunch. But we have every right to be. We pay the most $$$.

If you bothered to understand a post before commenting, maybe you wouldn't find yourself asking "What the fuck am I reading?" so often.

So your logic is to piss off the core gamer, that is the certain road to profit, assuring the 'fickle' core goes elsewhere.

Trying to go after a billion ADD casuals who go 'ooh shiney' hoping to gather up enough of them for long enough before they wander off when a glint in the corner of their eye distracts them seems right up the 'modern business' ideas of quarterly figures and investor/stock speculation though... The grab and run mentality that is ruining everything that is good.

I guess whomever is in charge of MS atm is happy to let their successors pick up the pieces and try to get the core back after they are done with their little quarterly bonus grabs.
Truely an admirable way of life and their contributions to society make it all worthwhile in the long run.

Seriously, it's mind blowing that any gamer or consumer would cheer this kind of shit on.

@ xenon, damn that is some elegant damage control:p

This is silly talk to me. If you get a free XBox or can get one for super-cheap with your TV subscription, and there are good games for it, you're still gonna say "oh no thanks...I only care about MAX SPECZ0RZ, I'll stick to the crappy dumb DVR you usually only provide for old people!" for real?

If you are a gamer that hung up about specs, you should probably be in the PC-only camp.
Americans...
Over here in europe (and the rest of the world) DVR/cable/sattelite isn't that big. Hell my country (belgium, not exactly third world eh) doesn't even have anything like netflix or redbox and people don't buy their phones on stupid 2 year plans in general, we also don't have cashback and all that nonsense.
All this DVR shit isn't even worth a bulletpoint on the back of the box over here. I don't know if people in Japan would give a fuck.

America isn't the world, your lack of perspective is annoying. Unless you think MS doesn't just want to alienate the core but also a whole bunch of other countries.

Oh and I do have a gaming pc which is where I get most of my gaming done, there are still some neat games on the consoles that I can't get on pc (and vice versa) so I've always owned one or to consoles on the side.

This is silly talk to me. If you get a free XBox or can get one for super-cheap with your TV subscription, and there are good games for it, you're still gonna say "oh no thanks...I only care about MAX SPECZ0RZ!" for real?

Not signing the rapetime cable contract/XBL commitment so I can have access to multiplayer and apps that are free everywhere else.

Or more directly: I'm not looking for a set-top box, all-in-one entertainment hub. I'm looking for a gaming console to play games, a console designed with that purpose foremost. That's the market I'm in. Not the one with Apple TV, Comcast, etc.

Part of me believes MS will up the specs to match or exceed PS4 and the other part remembers Kinect and if they bundle it with the system, plus match/up PS4 specs, how can reasonably price this beast?

Because after 1month of complementary gold live, a million people will lay down a further $60

Next Gen Cold War.

seriously.

and we all know that he's going to wait until feb 20 before he reveals "the final specs" of Durango so he can just one-up whatever is disclosed at the PS event. (if anything) if not, he'll just one-up whatever the latest RUMORED specs of Orbis are.

everything is still rumor at this point. the only thing that's confirmed at this point is nextgen consoles being out AT LEAST by 2014 per the Witcher 3 thread.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
We're probably not going to have this power discrepancy resolved until we see third party games running on both platforms, where it could be fairly cut and dry (one platform always running at better framerate and/or resolution/effects), or it could be a lot more muddled with some ports looking better on one platform and vice versa.

Either way, I think Durango and Orbis are within the same ballpark of power for what constitutes "next-gen" in my view (Wii U doesn't). Orbis could end up being as stated, with a significant advantage.

But in my view, next-gen more than ever is going to be less about power so much as it will about developer talent, resources, and budget.

These systems will both be immense upgrades over the prior gen, and with all that power at their disposal we will get games that look like 1080p ports of current-gen games, and at the other end of the spectrum we will have the extremely talented studios that put current PC titles running on more powerful rigs than PS4/720 to absolute shame. It will take a LOT of effort to really show what these consoles are capable of, and it will separate lesser studios from the all-stars.

Reiko

Banned
We're probably not going to have this power discrepancy resolved until we see third party games running on both platforms, where it could be fairly cut and dry (one platform always running at better framerate and/or resolution/effects), or it could be a lot more muddled with some ports looking better on one platform and vice versa.

Either way, I think Durango and Orbis are within the same ballpark of power for what constitutes "next-gen" in my view (Wii U doesn't). Orbis could end up being as stated, with a significant advantage.

But in my view, next-gen more than ever is going to be less about power so much as it will about developer talent, resources, and budget.

These systems will both be immense upgrades over the prior gen, and with all that power at their disposal we will get games that look like 1080p ports of current-gen games, and at the other end of the spectrum we will have the extremely talented studios that put current PC titles running on more powerful rigs than PS4/720 to absolute shame. It will take a LOT of effort to really show what these consoles are capable of, and it will separate lesser studios from the all-stars.

Great post.

Derrick01

Banned

I get the hunch from the conversation that he's not talking about specs, he's talking about games. They're talking about how investors want them to focus on Apple/Google and apps, implying there's a much less focus on games, and how that would be a turn off for him.

I get the hunch from the conversation that he's not talking about specs, he's talking about games. They're talking about how investors want them to focus on Apple/Google and apps, implying there's a much less focus on games, and how that would be a turn off for him.

Accurate.

El_Chino

plus a huge fine. this isnt like stealing candy. your pretty much 86'd from the industry. ms games division would let all its partners and competitors in the industry know about this guy.

Exactly, so people should understand why he isn't talking any specifics.

Aren't the specs on Durango GPU leading to a tiled rendering approach with everything fitting nicely down from the cache to the esram? Just like PowerVr? This leads to immense efficiency eliminating any concerns for lower DDR3 bandwidth. If indeed true, coupled with twice the RAM, the xbox3 could indeed be the more capable system with PS4 being the down port system yet again.

i-Lo

I would take the word of lherre over him.

The true measure is not by words, rather actual games. They cometh this Feb 20 and GDC.

KidBeta

The true measure is not by words, rather actual games. They cometh this Feb 20 and GDC.

As would I, after all one of the first things superdae said about this gen was that the dev kits would be intel CPUs with nvidia GPUs bit off the mark there

Reiko

Banned

I trust lherre too... But his current statements aren't lining up with the specs we have now.
And as I stated before, he has seen Orbis current specs prior to the info revealed.

Right now there is an obvious performance gulf.

So does that make Nintendo Cuba?

Heh.

Respawn

Banned

My head explodes. I see you haven't played PS3. I'll make a vid of the first party titles and then put in GOW Ascension for the oh la la effect.
Lets see hmm
You had no wifi
no hdmi
no optical out

anything else you want me to add? Also please don't mention hardware because the games on PS3 prove you wrong. These threads hurt the brain. So much damage control and denial.
Im off to bed.

I don't even understand why people care about dev kits specs.
Unless he tell us something about final systems specs his info don't mean much .
If you look at the info he gave out about orbis it's really don't tell us anything .

IrishNinja

If anyone posts this on GAF seriously, as part of a console war argument, I think I'll start with a perm instead of giving them the benefit of the doubt. This is embarrassing.

poor SDF...seriously though, that crab is the best logo, they should've used that since launch

Ramblin

Banned
My head explodes. I see you haven't played PS3. I'll make a vid of the first party titles and then put in GOW Ascension for the oh la la effect.
Lets see hmm
You had no wifi
no hdmi
no optical out

anything else you want me to add? Also please don't mention hardware because the games on PS3 prove you wrong. These threads hurt the brain. So much damage control and denial.
Im off to bed.

I guess all that denial gave him a headache.

i-Lo

I trust lherre too... But his current statements aren't lining up with the specs we have now.
And as I stated before, he has seen Orbis current specs prior to the info revealed.

Right now there is an obvious performance gulf.

Can you clarify what you mean?

iceatcs

poor SDF...seriously though, that crab is the best logo, they should've used that since launch

Yeah it is a cool logo, remind me of space invade.

Is it SDF actually made by other general game blog?
I remember there was investigation archive or thread about SDF was actually fantasy made by someone who not really a fan doing for laugh. Same person who made the video of fake sony fans army marching.
Quite funny and scary how much he obsessed about fanboy.

Reiko

Banned
Can you clarify what you mean?

Both systems being a wash in power.

Current specs of Orbis & Durango aren't pointing to this at all. If he already knew Orbis specs beforehand... Why would he state that?

Edge rumor then says PS4 is slightly more powerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom