• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Selling and Trading in your PS4 for a PS4 Pro

DOWN

Banned
This seems like the best deal I can find. I was hoping to get $200 for the system, and this is exactly what I asked for...

I was thinking I'd just buy the Pro, do the data transfer between the two consoles, then sell the original system. Think it'll still be $180+ at that time?

EDIT - Does this work with any PS4 with two controllers? I only bought a regular PS4 with one, but I have a second one I would include for $204.
That's what I did

It was a regular launch 500GB model (glossy hard drive cover) that came with one contoller. I put in my second controller purchased separately and they approved (but keep in mind there are two versions of the controller on the market secretly, one with a clear PS button and one with opaque and mine matched so I don't know if they'd notice the subtle visual variance but just know).

Also I included headset, power cable (secretly not from the original box but looked similar so they didn't notice), and original HDMI cable that came with it

Nicko

This may have already been asked/answered, but i'd like to know people's strategy for trading in a OG PS4 towards a Pro at gamestop? I'm thinking this will be my strategy, but am unsure about the best way to data transfer beforehand.

Thanks!

DOWN

Banned
I have it preordered on Amazon..

Whats the situation looking like on ps4 pro stock? Think I can walk into a store and buy it day one with no preorder?

If so I'll cancel when I see the trade in deals at GS and BB.
No clue with stores but Amazon has never run out of stock since the announcement almost 2 months ago and it has been one of the best selling consoles the whole time

majik13

That's what I did

It was a regular launch 500GB model (glossy hard drive cover) that came with one contoller. I put in my second controller purchased separately and they approved (but keep in mind there are two versions of the controller on the market secretly, one with a clear PS button and one with opaque and mine matched so I don't know if they'd notice the subtle visual variance but just know).

Also I included headset, power cable (secretly not from the original box but looked similar so they didn't notice), and original HDMI cable that came with it

I have my original controller, and the newer version, that fixed the wearing on the sticks. Wasnt aware the PS button is different. Anyways, I am going to try this. I doubt they will decline it, but whatever. They just send it back for free I think

You can't buy gift cards with Gamestop credit

I did, it was Steam cards not a gift card.

Does it not need to go directly towards a Pro? They just give GS credit? And can SteamBux be used as cash on Amazon?

I worded it weird I just traded it in for Steam cards to buy games I was gonna buy anyway and put the cash I was gonna use on those games towards the Pro on Amazon, because with Amazon orders you have until they ship to come up with the money.

Fisty

I'm gonna put mine up on the BST thread here. I will be selling it after Pro launch though, I'll be putting the 1TB HDD and controller from the Pro with the launch PS4. Also Ive never put a game or movie disc in the PS4, like not one disc ever. I think that would be worth $200

rubes7844

Banned
False. I do it all the time. I trade in games I own and put the credit towards PSN cards.

I did, it was Steam cards not a gift card.

I worded it weird I just traded it in for Steam cards to buy games I was gonna buy anyway and put the cash I was gonna use on those games towards the Pro on Amazon, because with Amazon orders you have until they ship to come up with the money.

My mistake. I was thinking of the power up point coupons.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Soemthing to keep in mind.

If you trade in to Gamestop you do NOT have to pay sales tax.

At least I don't in Texas.

:)

Like others have said a $200 trade in credit towards the PS4 Pro would be a good deal. Anything less is really unacceptable since they have similar deals all the time.

Haines

Banned
Do we have a thread or link explaining how we make sure we get all our saves and account onto new pro.

I'm always nervous about this stuff

Humdinger

This may have already been asked/answered, but i'd like to know people's strategy for trading in a OG PS4 towards a Pro at gamestop? I'm thinking this will be my strategy, but am unsure about the best way to data transfer beforehand.

Thanks!

I'm going to use a USB drive. I'm just going to copy a few save files. I'll download the apps and digital games later, on the Pro.

If you're a PS+ member, your Saves are in the cloud, so you can just download them later, along with everything else. (I'm not a PS+ member, so I'm using a USB drive.)

There are other ways, too, I'm sure.

Was going to sell mine, but decided to save it and give it to my son for Christmas instead. Saves a little Christmas money and can go towards getting him games, considering all he's been asking for is a PS4.

onken

Yup sold mine to a work buddy for $200 a few months back since he wasn't interested in any of the Pro features. Funnily enough, he just told me last week that HE flipped the very same PS4 for $180 to also buy a Pro.

Listonosh

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I think what Gamestop did was pretty fucked up. When the Pro was announced, they were running a limited time deal giving people 125 when putting it toward the next system, essentially making it seem like a good deal and that if you trade now, you'll get more as opposed to waiting.

Looking at the trade in value now, it's actually more... sitting at 150. Dick move Gamestop, dick move.

The sticker on the back of my launch dual shock 4 is worn off and very faded. Will gamestop still take the system because the sticker is worn off?

Lucent

I'm waiting until I get my Pro to sell my PS4. Gonna do ethernet transfer. But I'm waiting until I can use my black Friday discount at Walmart to get 25% off so I only pay $300-is for the Pro. That'll be early December if it's like last year. So even if I only get maybe $150 off the old one, that's not too bad.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I think what Gamestop did was pretty fucked up. When the Pro was announced, they were running a limited time deal giving people 125 when putting it toward the next system, essentially making it seem like a good deal and that if you trade now, you'll get more as opposed to waiting.

Looking at the trade in value now, it's actually more... sitting at 150. Dick move Gamestop, dick move.
Definitely a dick move but you gotta know what your stuff is worth, sometimes patience is key. It's paying off for a lot of us right now, also we don't know if there would be a upgrade promo.

Jamix012

I'm waiting until I get my Pro to sell my PS4. Gonna do ethernet transfer. But I'm waiting until I can use my black Friday discount at Walmart to get 25% off so I only pay $300-is for the Pro. That'll be early December if it's like last year. So even if I only get maybe $150 off the old one, that's not too bad.

How did you get this discount?

daveo42

Banned
Well, the guy who was going to buy my PS4 isn't now...so I'm kind of stuck either going to Craigslist to sell, selling it direct to Gamestop, or holding off on getting the Pro till later.

Odd question, do I need to replace the worn out sticks on the PS4 controller if I trade it in to Gamestop? The rubber has come off and I was planning to replace them anyway before selling it to the guy I was going to sell it to, but now...ehhhhh.....

That's what I did

Hi, did you still have the original box,
does it matter if you don't?

Lucent

How did you get this discount?

I work there. If you work on black Friday, they give you a 15% off coupon on one transaction that stacks with your employee discount (10%). Last year I think you couldn't use it until December 2-4. So I gotta wait. Small perk for having to deal with retail. =[

Ibuki

Banned
Has anyone done the transfer process to a Slim or another PS4 yet?

I know you connect a LAN cable between, but it requires you to be connected to the internet. Is this going to waste bandwidth? I'm going on a data cap this month, otherwise I wouldn't care.

black070

My friend just drove off with my launch PS4 for a cool £150 cash in hand.. so here I am.. console free.. heh..

mistake.jpg

Well, the guy who was going to buy my PS4 isn't now...so I'm kind of stuck either going to Craigslist to sell, selling it direct to Gamestop, or holding off on getting the Pro till later.

Odd question, do I need to replace the worn out sticks on the PS4 controller if I trade it in to Gamestop? The rubber has come off and I was planning to replace them anyway before selling it to the guy I was going to sell it to, but now...ehhhhh.....

I don't think they'll mind. Unless the staff member you get is a giant douche.

Huddy

Any other deals in the UK other than Game?

If I get Game to price match CEX I can get £161 credit for my white boxed 500GB PS4 to put toward a Pro. That's £15 less than their trade in offer but I don't have to worry about giving them 5 games.

calder

I think I'm going to trade in my PS4 to EB here in canada this week. I don't care about doing a transfer or anything but I still have the box and all the peripherals so it shouldn't be a problem.

One question: I did open my PS4 to clean it out last year, which didn't bother me at the time because it was long out of warranty. Will this be a problem trading it in? It still works fine, I have no worries about them testing the unit, but do they check the anti-tamper stickers for consoles that are years old?

So walmart is offering $178 for trading in a PS4. But do I have to mail it in or can I go to any physical store and do it there?

I hate mailing big electronics.

I'm most likely going to sell mine tomorrow. I'll just download everything again next week. Hoping I can get $225.00 with a game. If not $200 will suffice.

Can you buy amazon gift cards with that $178 at walamart?
lol I bet no right?
I'm not sure what their policy is on buying gift cards with gift cards. But in my case I would just buy the pro right there at Walmart.

But now I'm thinking of waiting on GameStop. People saying to wait for next week. They're already offering $150 right now. If they sweeten the deal I'll go to them instead.

Quick question.

How do you make your PS4 safe to sell? Like you clear the HD right? Not reformat it...but there has got to be something more to it than just clearing the harddrive?

Quick question.

How do you make your PS4 safe to sell? Like you clear the HD right? Not reformat it...but there has got to be something more to it than just clearing the harddrive?

Like the PS3, the PS4 has a full initialization option that rewrites and formats everything on the hard drive and takes several hours and makes it all good to go to a new home.

Top Bottom