• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serkan Toto rumor: Resident Evil 7 reveal at E3, will go back to horror roots

Please don't be a reboot and please keep 6's combat system.

loChqWj.gif

rhandino

Banned
As long as there is a Mercenaries mode with crazy outfits I am in.

Is it too much to expect for them to ditch the cheesiness and make just one focused game? My interest in a series hasn't dropped off as much as it has as Resident Evil.
The cheesiness has been part of the series since the first day though and I would miss it if they go full serious.

Ooccoo

Year of Dreams 2.0 indeed if true

But it's Capcom. They'll find a way to fuck it up. See: SFV.

I'm half expecting the game to be loaded with DLC (costumes, weapons, skins, etc.) and exclusive chapters from retailers. Please don't Capcom!

Hopefully they can just reboot Dino Crisis and put the co-op action blockbustet shooter stuff from RE5 and RE6 to that game and give RE it's horror back.

Like I respect that people found something to enjoy in that game, but you should know when a battle has been lost. It'd be like me trying to convince people Kid Icarus Uprising's control scheme isn't at all fiddly and painful.

I really just don't want they to keep the same combat system as RE 6. They should try something new in the survival horror genre again, and RE is the right IP to do that.

Remember was RE6 was "going back to RE's roots"?

Not holding me breath.

But I am OK with a clean reboot. RE's continuing story was already told by RE5. 6 was unnecessary as you could get.

Well, I mean, RER and RER2 are way more Survival Horror-y than 5 or 6.

And Capcom straight up said they backed off on doing a reboot for 6 because 5 did so well.
I just take it all with a grain of salt. Especially when we get rumors like this over the years.

And the Revelations games were very halfhearted in their effort to be a return to survival horror. Better than 5 and 6 in that regard, sure, but that's hardly noteworthy.

Basically, I'll believe it when I see it.

daveo42

Banned
Haven't played 5 or 6, but if it actually does "go back to its horror roots" like they say it will, then I'd be back on board.

One_San

RE6 is genuinely my favorite RE because of the gameplay, so I'd hope they'd keep games in it's style. Both styles of RE can exist, imo.

even if the action version is vastly more desired by fans, as told by RE5/6 being Capcom's two top sellers. :^)

Neiteio

If RE7 is in fact RE7, I don't think it's a storyline reboot. Especially not with all of the expanded universe stuff they still have going on in the CGI films, manga, UC spinoff, upcoming RE2 remake, etc.

It'll still be the same canon.

But that's why he says "essentially" a clean slate. Same canon, but returning the gameplay to its survival horror roots. More REmake than RE6, in other words.

At least, that's how I'm interpreting this limited information.

As for my opinion on refreshing the gameplay, I like all styles of RE games, so I'm down for whatever. RE is my favorite series in videogames, something I can confidently say after marathoning pretty much the entire series early this year.

Ralemont

not me
Remember was RE6 was "going back to RE's roots"?

Not holding me breath.

Is this what people are referencing? Doesn't seem to me like Capcom ever billed RE6 as a return to the series roots, just that they tried to incorporate horror elements into 6. Meanwhile Capcom has said as early as 2013 that 7 is indeed a return to RE's roots. Not saying it'll turn out the way people hope, but still.

Hellraider

They say this every time, though.

It actually makes a lot of sense to do just that this time business-wise. The horror genre has seen an extremely rise in popularity these past few years. Resident evil has the recognition, capcom (still) has the talent, the market is ripe.I think the timing would have been perfect a couple of years back but knowing today's Capcom this happening two years later is exactly like them.

It is also pretty damn easy to appeal to the action fans as well. They can make a pure survival horror campaign be 50% of the game with the other half being a fast paced action Mercenaries mode. In theory it would really be that easy to please both sides of the fanbase. In practice there is nothing I trust Capcom nowadays with so...

Tayaya

Tank controls and unusable pre-fixed camera angles here we come!!!

Seriously though.... if they can make up for 6 and the other things that followed that were not Revelations (which I actually enjoyed), I'll be into this!

Top Bottom