• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serkan Toto rumor: Resident Evil 7 reveal at E3, will go back to horror roots

This is gonna be a coop action game with horror styling on top

Like maybe it takes place in one spooky castle or maybe there's a ghost or some shit

But they're not going too far away from their best selling action coop adventures re5 and re6

Ridley327

oh yes it would.

The game already has a shotgun that can saw enemies in half, so it would work.

I always feel like I remember RE2 differently from most people, since I distinctly recall it as being very action-packed the whole way through.

Lernaean

Banned
RE6 is genuinely my favorite RE because of the gameplay, so I'd hope they'd keep games in it's style. Both styles of RE can exist, imo.

even if the action version is vastly more desired by fans, as told by RE5/6 being Capcom's two top sellers. :^)

I like you. Wanna be my friend? Let's be friends.

Scotia

Banned
I'm hoping this ends as hilariously as the last time they talked about going back to their roots.

ibaigypwkhlrnmtgqsu.gif

It's like everyone forgot that Capcom have said this before.

"The combat is good!" (enjoy no expansion on that) and "It sold a bunch!" aren't exactly the most compelling arguments for why the Resi 6 formula is a winner, guys

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
It falls in line with everything Capcom's been saying, but see it when we see it, though the source seems reliable. I don't exactly trust Capcom's definition of horror (even though I like the newer Resident Evil games), but if they're hiring outside people who know stuff, it could be great for the title.

Akiller

1) About Resident Evil 7: Yes, it's in development. The entire game will go back to RE's horror roots and (essentially) be a clean slate.

stage 1: new mainline RE announcement incoming, it will go back to horror roots.

stage 2: misleading dark toned reveal trailer

stage 3: classic RE fans getting hyped

stage 4: the game ends up being AAA action and cheesy

stage 5: meltdowns

Mozendo

I don't care about it going back to horror since they've said that before, I just want another great bromantic co-op game like 6.

Just finished RE4 for the first time so I've got some catching up to do... I now understand the joy of suplexing not-zombies so I might give the sequels another shot.

Mecha

Resident Evil Zero just sold 800k copies and the other re-release before that even better.

800k copies is minuscule compared to RE5/RE6 sales. RE5 is the best selling Capcom game of all time, RE6 is the second. The closest RE game is RE2, but that's still 1.5 million behind RE6.

Who takes resident evil seriously? We have many other zombie games with good narratives, let RE be over the top and crazy.

And the gameplay in 6 was fantastic. If they're remaking RE2 (with tank controls?) as they announced then they should evolve in the action mechanics of 6 rather than devolve.

BadWolf

Just finished RE4 for the first time so I've got some catching up to do... I now understand the joy of suplexing not-zombies so I might give the sequels another shot.

You will get a whole lot more joy than just suplexing out of RE6, the amount of melee attack animations the game has borders on the ridiculous.

I would bet any amount of money this a big blockbuster coop game

Any amount of money

This is a game that feels like it's taken too long to come out. Sure, there's been new hardware and all, but Resi 6 doing that well and then suddenly it takes four years for the sequel to even be revealed? What?

They've definitely taken this game back to the drawing board a bunch of times. I'd wager Revelations 2 happened just to test the waters for survival horror. The Resi 6 formula is commercially proven - they have other ideas.

Scotia

Banned
stage 1: new mainline RE announcement incoming, it will go back to horror roots.

stage 2: misleading dark toned reveal trailer

stage 3: classic RE fans getting hyped

stage 4: the game ends up being AAA action and cheesy

stage 5: meltdowns

stage 6. rinse and repeat for every RE game announcement

Kinsei

Banned
Sounds cool.
I just hope it isn't a reboot because there's really no need. Just tell a story that doesn't have the usually characters.

If it's not a reboot then
Alex Wesker
will need to return. If that character returns then
a Burton or two
will need return as well. It's impossible for them to start fresh without making it a reboot.

Nerrel

The game already has a shotgun that can saw enemies in half, so it would work.

I always feel like I remember RE2 differently from most people, since I distinctly recall it as being very action-packed the whole way through.

Using a shotgun doesn't require you to run up to a contagious zombie, wrap your body around it, then get splattered by the highly infectious aftermath. Melee attacks only made sense in the context of non-contagious enemies. In a horror game like this, roundhousing a zombie in the face really kills the threat, don't you think? You were supposed to be scared of these things in the old games. They weren't just fodder for headshots and slick combos. Play RE6 over and over again and get all the wrestling moves dual pistol sliding you could ever want.

Davey Cakes

I'd be down for a soft reboot. The main story is a bit too much of a mess now and the staple characters are getting old (in more ways than one).

By the time I get around to finishing RE6 and actually playing Revelations 2, I'll probably be ready for a new set of characters, places, viruses, and events.

And yeah, going back to "horror roots" would be fine too, so long as that involves creating claustrophobic environments with memorable, creepy atmosphere that allows for intense enemy encounters. Capcom really needs to zone in on the kind of "survival" that was present in the original games and not the "survival" which just boils down to fighting through hoards of enemies.

Looking forward to what they're cooking up.

I expect something closer to RE4 at most. Heavier horror vibe, combat focused on encounters over action game-y mechanics the player has to learn.

I loved RE6 combat but that's never coming back in a mainline game. And it never really had a place in this series.

Although... Die Hard with zombies would be incredible. RE6 combat, but this time with set pieces actually designed for the movement it allows? I'd love it. Maybe a spin-off or a new IP will get to this eventually, if Capcom realizes what they had.

How about something like Dead Rising's zombie count but with severely limited ammo and just a knife for melee

TreIII

I'll have my popcorn ready for when the other shoe inevitably falls.

That said, a more focused campaign with an evolved version of RE6's mechanics would already be a good start, for me.

I've lost interest in this franchise because of how bad the series was after 4. Will absolutely not Day 1 it, but will watch with interest to see if they hold true and make this a good game.

Riposte

I hope this doesn't mean dumbed down mechanics and enemies, and not at the low of Revelations (1) if it is.

Mecha

And? There's still a market for these type of games. RE6 wasn't a big enough success for their investment regardless. They're probably far cheaper to make than these massive action fests too. So the hyperbolic "it won't sell" argument is BS, whether or not the other games have high sales figures.

They can make small budget horror RE games as spin-offs, the action games appeal to a larger market and by extension sell more.

Steroyd

Yeah and so was RE6... until I played the non Leon campaigns.

It actually makes a lot of sense to do just that this time business-wise. The horror genre has seen an extremely rise in popularity these past few years. Resident evil has the recognition, capcom (still) has the talent, the market is ripe.I think the timing would have been perfect a couple of years back but knowing today's Capcom this happening two years later is exactly like them.

It is also pretty damn easy to appeal to the action fans as well. They can make a pure survival horror campaign be 50% of the game with the other half being a fast paced action Mercenaries mode. In theory it would really be that easy to please both sides of the fanbase. In practice there is nothing I trust Capcom nowadays with so...

RE6 proves that you can appeal to neither by trying to appease everyone, make Mercenaries mode full unlockable for the shootbang boulder punching folk, and lets see them attempt going all in on these "horror roots" with the the campaign.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Also, as someone who's basically a horror encyclopedia, they never, NEVER said Resident Evil 6 was 'going back to the series roots'. How they advertised it from the beginning was that each campaign would have a different focus, and Leon's was more gothic horror to the other campaigns, and said it'd be more horror than RE5. This all ended up being true. They never said anything like this for Resident Evil 5 either, though they did say it for the Revelations games.

It was after Resident Evil 6 where they said the next title (Resident Evil 7) would go to the series roots. If they do or do not, is to be seen, but I'm going to mention this right now.

Ridley327

Using a shotgun doesn't require you to run up to a contagious zombie, wrap your body around it, then get splattered by the highly infectious aftermath. Melee attacks only made sense in the context of non-contagious enemies. In a horror game like this, roundhousing a zombie in the face really kills the threat, don't you think? You were supposed to be scared of these things in the old games. They weren't just fodder for headshots and slick combos. Play RE6 over and over again and get all the wrestling moves dual pistol sliding you could ever want.

All I'm saying is that the strict horror aspects of the series has always been exaggerated, and I would point to RE2 as being the big turning point for the series embracing the action aspect. All RE4 really did in that regard was change the viewpoint and give you real manual aiming options.

Silent Hill, it never was.

Saven

Banned
Meh, I'll believe it when I see it. They've said the same thing how many times now?

This is Capcom we're talking about here, a company of broken promises.

Top Bottom