• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serkan Toto rumor: Resident Evil 7 reveal at E3, will go back to horror roots

Old-school RE never scared me, aside from maybe REmake.

But I would like a return to places you thoroughly explore, places where you develop an intimate sense of familiarity.

I'm a bitch when it comes to horror games, but I still enjoy them even though I get scared easily. xD

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I'm hoping this ends as hilariously as the last time they talked about going back to their roots.

ibaigypwkhlrnmtgqsu.gif

Exactly, they've said this before and we all know how RE6 turned out....

neohwa

RE shouldn't have nonstop 20 mins of cutscenes one after another though.

just give it to Mikami he's not that busy.

Jawmuncher

Expect going back to roots to be going back to RE4 style. I don't see them dropping over the shoulder or coop. However I see them dialing it back from the later areas of RE5 and the bombastic battles of RE6.

Action game with more horror atmosphere is really all RE needs to be.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I might bail out of the topic since I can see this getting tiring.

Capcom never said Resident Evil 6 was returning to the series roots. The GIF that is being used in the quoted post is from the game's reveal trailer. What people are thinking of are rumors before RE6 were revealed that were later confirmed to be fake.

The only time Capcom said they were going to return to the series roots was after Resident Evil 6 released, a year after almost in August of 2013, when referencing RE7, they said they may be returning to the series roots. They did talk about horror in reference to Resident Evil Revelations 1, but never said it was a return to the series roots. Here's an exact quote from Resident Evil Revelations interview.

GC:Revelations is billed as a return to true survival horror but what does this mean exactly from your perspective? Is there a feeling that the last few games have prized action over atmosphere and if so how have you readdressed this balance?

MK:We have pushed the horror feel for Resident Evil 1 to 3, but it became difficult to come out with new feel of horror. We have released ‘Remake’ of Resident Evil with improved graphics on GameCube in 2001 and although this title is still supported passionately by the core fans, it couldnâ€'t achieve the huge success that the original iterations enjoyed. Then, Resident Evil 4 was released, in this title we have overhauled the game system and mainly worked on the game design. Naturally, the genre still remained as horror but I think it was a masterpiece as more innovations were incorporated, namely fast paced gameplay and shooting/action elements.
We have made a huge advance in graphics in Resident Evil 5. However, Revelations is not a numbered title in the series, so we wanted to create something different. Revelations is going back to the origin of horror game and weâ're proud of the fact that we have managed to balance up more accessible controls and compelling horror game experience.

I'll say this, and I bet no one will pay it any mind and whine they've heard this before, though they're misrembering false RE6 rumors that were made-up by people and not Capcom themselves. Resident Evil 6 was literally revealed with this trailer.

And it included this press release with this information:
Latest Addition to the Iconic Series to Release on November 20
SAN MATEO, Calif. — Jan. 19, 2012 — Capcom®, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, is very proud to announce that Resident Evil® 6 is in full development and scheduled for release on the Xbox 360 ® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system on November 20, 2012 with a Windows PC version to follow. Blending action and survival horror, this latest instalment in the multi-million selling franchise is the most ambitious, immersive and feature rich title of the series to date and promises to be the dramatic horror experience of the year.

It has been ten years since the Raccoon City incident and the President of the United States has decided to reveal the truth behind what took place in the belief that it will curb the current resurgence in bioterrorist activity. Due to be by the President’s side is his personal friend and Raccoon City survivor, Leon S. Kennedy, but when the venue suffers a bioterrorist attack, Leon is forced to face a President transformed beyond recognition and make his hardest ever decision. At the same time, Bioterrorism Security Assessment Alliance member Chris Redfield arrives in China, itself under threat of a bioterrorist attack. With no country safe from these attacks and the ensuing outbreaks, the entire world’s population is united by a common fear that there is no hope left.

In a first for the franchise, Resident Evil 6 sees series favorites Leon and Chris come together to face this unprecedented threat. They will be joined by new characters, each with their own unique perspective and involvement, in this relentless dramatic horror experience enacted on a global scale.

“Resident Evil 6 represents a giant stride forward in the evolution of the series,” commented Katsuhiko Ichii, Head of R&D and Global Marketing. “The development team, led by Hiroyuki Kobayashi, is working tirelessly to deliver the most impressive Resident Evil® title ever both in terms of scope and production values. We are all genuinely excited by the title and cannot wait to share it with the world.”

Hiroyuki Kobayashi, Resident Evil 6 Executive Producer added: “From the outset the team’s intention was to create an experience that delivers a gripping storyline, tense single-player and co-op action all set against a constant theme of horror. We are calling this fusion dramatic horror and are confident it will resonate with both existing fans of the series as well as newcomers.”

They advertised Resident Evil 6 since the beginning as an action-horror 'dramatic experience.'

Bladenic

True or not, can't wait to see what they do with RE7. Also excited for RE5 re-release. Maybe RE4 too. Still haven't touched RE HD. And there's the RE2 remake. Whew.

JayEH

"You're right to say that the numbered Resident Evil games are more action-oriented," said Resident Evil: Revelations 2 producer Michiteru Okabe. "They're aimed at a wide, mass audience.

Continuing, he added, "The Resident Evil: Revelations games, however, are aimed at long-time RE fans who want a more traditional, survival horror experience."

http://kotaku.com/capcom-explains-the-difference-between-resident-evil-an-1637148095

But cheese tastes great on Jill Sandwich.

best post in the thread so far.

Neff

Sounds intriguing, and pretty much what I hoped for/suspected. No way it'll be a reboot, though. It'll be a 'clean slate' in the way RE4 was, ie proposing a situation without expectations or significant ties.

The cheesiness has been part of the series since the first day though and I would miss it if they go full serious.

The most serious RE ever got was the REmake and that still had goofy-ass stuff in it.

They won't toy with the formula too much or they risk alienating the huge fanbase, and that's a very risky thing to do indeed considering RE's popularity and Capcom's dependence on it.

I would bet any amount of money this a big blockbuster coop game

Any amount of money

It'll have co-op for sure. And it'll be a long, fun, AAA action-oriented game, like the others. It won't be P.T. or anything like it, nor should it try to be, and I say that as someone who found P.T. to be a fantastic experience.

Philippo

-Developed with UE4
-Keep original characters (for the "legacy") and reboot the plot
-Set in Raccoon City
-Souls-like "open world", basically many maps linked in many ways by shortcuts
-Mix of fixed camera angles but also RE4/5/6 view when shooting and fighting, also RE6 improved combat
-Heavy, heavy focus on "traditional" survival horror games (actual scary enemies and moments, scarcity of ammos and supplies, legit creepy atmosphere)

Either this or go the PT way and do 1st person VR.

Arsenic13

I might bail out of the topic since I can see this getting tiring.

Capcom never said Resident Evil 6 was returning to the series roots. The GIF that is being used in the quoted post is from the game's reveal trailer. What people are thinking of are rumors before RE6 were revealed that were later confirmed to be fake.

The only time Capcom said they were going to return to the series roots was after Resident Evil 6 released, a year after almost in August of 2013, when referencing RE7, they said they may be returning to the series roots. They did talk about horror in reference to Resident Evil Revelations 1, but never said it was a return to the series roots. Here's an exact quote from Resident Evil Revelations interview.

I'll say this, and I bet no one will pay it any mind and whine they've heard this before, though they're misrembering false RE6 rumors that were made-up by people and not Capcom themselves. Resident Evil 6 was literally revealed with this trailer.

And it included this press release with this information:

They advertised Resident Evil 6 since the beginning as an action-horror 'dramatic experience.'

A big part of the roots claim actually came from us on Rely On Horror. A rep told one of our staff in 2011 the following:

“We know that a lot of fans want more horror back for the next one, the development team knows that as well and we read a lot of comments, messageboards, and ask for feedback, and there was a lot of criticism about RE5′s focus on action,” said the rep.

“I think that you’ll like the direction the dev team is shifting for the next one.”

Which was most likely out of turn. I think Capcom kindly asked us to ignore that statement and - not to my liking - we took it down. Loads of sites sourced the quote, though.

TreIII

Yep!
I hope that tank controls and fixed camera angles will never return. But with crazy Capcom you never know..

As stated in the quote above in JayEH's post, the main/numbered games are aimed at a larger audience, so making them much more action-focused is always going to be a thing. So, that said, I wouldn't be worried about the return of tank controls.

Again, all I'm mainly concerned about is a much more focused game than what we got with RE6's campaigns. The combat system was divine.

Kouichi

Whatever this "clean slate" ends up being, I'm hoping it's focused and polished around a single type of gameplay and tone like REmake or RE4. My problem with Resident Evil is how sporadic and inconsistent the entire series is. Having some spin-offs that deviate from the core formula can be okay, but when even the mainline games can't decide what genre they want to be, everything just ends up messy and mediocre.

I don't particularly care if it ends up more horror or action. I just want them to build a new foundation for them to focus on and build upon if successful.

BadWolf

Again, all I'm mainly concerned about is a much more focused game than what we got with RE6's campaigns. The combat system was divine.

This.

RE6 biggest problem was that they tried to do too much.

It would have been better (and way cheaper to make) if the campaign was shorter and more focused.

No way they're rebooting the whole saga. They have REmake2 coming out and a new movie with Leon.
Maybe a reboot in gameplay like RE4 was, but that canon ain't going anywhere.

yoonshik

The thing is... i'm okay with something like RE4. An addictive and fun Resident Evil. That's all i want.

So i'm hoping for something more like RE4 or RE5 and less like RE6 or REmake.

Okay... we have been hearing that stupid will go back to horror roots phrase for YEARS now. I need to see gameplay to judge but I'm a huge RE fan, therefore I will get it anyway like I did with 6. Please have Claire, Jill, and Ada. Koji team? Holy crap, yes!

NYR94

Awesome news if true.

And I was wondering where Jordan Amaro went. His LinkedIn profile went down around the time Kojima Productions was shut down at Konami. He had some really interesting things to say about the level design in MGSV in an interview he gave during production.

HMD

Leon's boring-ass campaign in RE6 was a supposed return to their horror roots, I hope that's not their current definition of horror.

DedValve

Banned
Every resident evil we go back to horror. Every resident evil we have fans trying to say how x scenario is definitely horror because its 2dark4me. Every resident evil we will get a lot of fans saying how it wasn't horror at all and we should accept it.

I've accepted whatever the next RE will be as long as its good. RE6 had the base underlying mechanics drowned by 4 (!) horrible campaigns. RE5 was great in co-op but wasn't balanced properly for co-op play and didn't do enough interesting things with co-op. RE4 is fucking RE4.

I'm hyped either way. Also get whoever did the character designs from RE6. Their fashion sense is divine. Simply divine. I don't think there was a single character design besides simmons (fuck everything about simmons) that I didn't immediately go "wooooaaaah holy shit" and then immediately felt like trash that my plain ass clothes could never compare.

Skulldead

-Developed with UE4
-Keep original characters (for the "legacy") and reboot the plot
-Set in Raccoon City
-Souls-like "open world", basically many maps linked in many ways by shortcuts
-Mix of fixed camera angles but also RE4/5/6 view when shooting and fighting, also RE6 improved combat
-Heavy, heavy focus on "traditional" survival horror games (actual scary enemies and moments, scarcity of ammos and supplies, legit creepy atmosphere)

You want to create ultimate Resident Evil game, do this... And don't forget put puzzle back... fun and intelligent puzzle !

JayEH

I'm hyped either way. Also get whoever did the character designs from RE6. Their fashion sense is divine. Simply divine. I don't think there was a single character design besides simmons (fuck everything about simmons) that I didn't immediately go "wooooaaaah holy shit" and then immediately felt like trash that my plain ass clothes could never compare.

Leon's suit in china is so sexy.

Jawmuncher

More or less people should be expecting RE4 style of game for RE7. Same universe, but a good starting point. With action still being a big part, but reduced in a sense that ammo is a bit limited and the atmosphere really sells it. Along with a few puzzles here and there.

Hopefully no one is expecting anything crazy like a total reboot and being absolutely survival horror. With how risk averse Capcom is, I don't see them risking too much on their biggest IP.
All Capcom wants is a new RE to review well, and for people to not yell that it isn't scary at all.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
A big part of the roots claim actually came from us on Rely On Horror. A rep told one of our staff in 2011 the following:

“We know that a lot of fans want more horror back for the next one, the development team knows that as well and we read a lot of comments, messageboards, and ask for feedback, and there was a lot of criticism about RE5′s focus on action,” said the rep.

“I think that you’ll like the direction the dev team is shifting for the next one.”

Which was most likely out of turn. I think Capcom kindly asked us to ignore that statement and - not to my liking - we took it down. Loads of sites sourced the quote, though.

I actually somewhat recall this from the past now that you mentioned it when I was writing with you guys, but I do know through a lot of RE6 they talked a lot before release about the tones of all the campaigns, mentioning Leon's they wanted a 'gothic horror' with a darker feel, Chris they wanted a 'Transform War' angle where he would lose teammates as the thing went on and big mutated beasts, and Jake they wanted to go with "Escape and Romance," with having a character driven story with a consistent stalker. They talked about that a lot, but obviously were trying to capture an action-audience with the title even from the very beginning of their reveal of RE6.

Now, let me clarify. I don't really trust Capcom's definition of 'classic horror', and though I do love the RE series personally, honestly the horror of the series is sometimes a bit exaggerated. It was definitely more horror-esque than anything at the time and helped pave way for the horror genre, and I think many of the older RE's have their moments and are well crafted games. But for the horror angle, it's more certain moments than 'constant horror' in all of the games, maybe with the exception of the original/Remake. I expect this game will probably still having co-op and shooting mechanics, as a safe assumption.

But I do think at the very least they're going to try and go in a bigger horror direction and go for some darker, atmospheric tone. Not just because of what this guy on Twitter said, but what Capcom has said almost continuously every time they've talked about RE7 over the last few years. If they accomplish this? To be seen. But I think that's probably what we're going to see, and I don't think that's a bad thing. I expect it to be toned down action and probably more of an emphasis on survival, but it still will probably very much have modern shooting mechanics and co-op. That's my guess, though it comes to speculation, and all the details around it I wouldn't have the foggiest idea what they may have in mind.

This said, they could surprise me. At the very least, I bet RE7 will be a lot more polished and concentrated than RE6 was, which should do good to make a better game no matter what type of game it is.

Gaz_RB

Best rumor I've heard in a long ass time. I expect some great things out of this E3. Take off the gloves-we're knee deep in this gen and I want some gen defining e3 show offs. RE7 is a good start. Fall 2016 please?

Kazuhira

Yeah and so was RE6... until I played the non Leon campaigns.

RE6 proves that you can appeal to neither by trying to appease everyone, make Mercenaries mode full unlockable for the shootbang boulder punching folk, and lets see them attempt going all in on these "horror roots" with the the campaign.

yep,i've been saying this for years too.
Single player for survival-horror and leave the action-fest for mercenaries/other multiplayer modes.

Interfectum

I'm hoping this ends as hilariously as the last time they talked about going back to their roots.

ibaigypwkhlrnmtgqsu.gif

Well, it's probably a lot cheaper to make a game like the original RE or something like P.T. than to make another RE6. So there's a chance...... right?

:(

Top Bottom