• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (PS3/4/Vita/360/XB1/WiiU/PC) Kickstarter [800K/400K Funded]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheerilee

It came off as you being hostile to me for no apparent reason, my apologies for the misunderstanding then.

No worries, I looked back at my post and saw how it could've been read that way. That's one of the problems with text. I wasn't exactly being sarcastic, but if I was saying it to you in person I'd have been using a sarcastic tone, and that doesn't come across in text.

We all good.

Really looking forward to seeing that locked-in release date. I was gutted when this slipped from September so hopefully the game's on track for this year still.

Playing this just before Christmas would be lovely. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

Wasn't this supposed to be out already?

Yeah it was announced it'd release in September and then they delayed the game to a vague "later in the year". The new release date will be announced soon.

Sounds like they used the additional time to improve the game given they're only just now finished so that's the silver lining here.

Let me add the latest update

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Update #88 Nov 23 2016
Tinkerbackers and Shantaerians, we did it!

We’re excited beyond human comprehension to tell you the news... Shantae: Half-Genie Hero is done! Did you hear that correctly?! We know, right? It’s crazy! Wow!!!

VsdRjR1.png

What an incredible experience this has been! As you know, this was a very long development cycle, and we’re grateful for your support and patience. This project was always about working together to create a product that was shaped by fans, for fans, and now that work is complete! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!
Choosing a Release Date!

The game has been submitted to Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, and Steam, and digital storefronts are being created. Because this is a global release, we’re working with teams in each territory to establish a unified release date. We’ll let you know the INSTANT we find out when the game will be live! And this probably goes without saying, but of course we’ll do everything in our power to get the game released to backers early.
LAST CALL!

This is the LAST CALL for platform changes! If you’re thinking about changing which platform you want your download code for, here’s what you need to know:

If for whatever reason you’ve never made a selection, immediate action is required! (Contact support@wayforward.com)
You have until Nov 29th (one week!) to make your final selection.
If you do not choose a platform by Nov 29th, your reward will automatically be set to Steam for Windows PC.

Once again, this is locked down on Nov 29th! Last chance, final warning, speak now or forever hold your peace!

We’re excited and hope you are, too! It’s almost time to play Shantae: Half-Genie Hero! Thanks! See you next update!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/1745439

I've only gotten into the Shantae games recently and I've only just looked at footage of Half-Genie Hero... what have they done to the art style?

I understood and grew to love the pixelated love in Risky's Revenge and I was pleased to see it returns in Pirate's Curse. Now I understand it's not being limited by DS hardware anymore but the old art style was so much more appealing compared to this.

The weird 3D look they've gone for just doesn't work imo and looks a hell of a lot more ugly than the previous games. Don't get me wrong the actual game itself looks great but this new art style they went with is greatly disappointing.

I haven't been following this game's development at all so I'm wondering, was this a big issue to the fans earlier and I'm just late to the party or are people generally okay with this?

synce

I've only gotten into the Shantae games recently and I've only just looked at footage of Half-Genie Hero... what have they done to the art style?

I understood and grew to love the pixelated love in Risky's Revenge and I was pleased to see it returns in Pirate's Curse. Now I understand it's not being limited by DS hardware anymore but the old art style was so much more appealing compared to this.

The weird 3D look they've gone for just doesn't work imo and looks a hell of a lot more ugly than the previous games. Don't get me wrong the actual game itself looks great but this new art style they went with is greatly disappointing.

I haven't been following this game's development at all so I'm wondering, was this a big issue to the fans earlier and I'm just late to the party or are people generally okay with this?

I think most people would agree that 2D > 3D but in this case the game still looks cute and colorful so it's not a huge deal imo. Figure it's simply cheaper to go 3D these days

Skeletos311

I think it looks great. It looks more like a real cartoon and not so much like a SNES game on an HD TV. I like the smaller head Shantae, though.

I disagree - I think the art style looks sublime and really cute and colourful. I can see the preference for the more retro pixel art aesthetic but I find Half Genie Hero really pleasing to the eye. It's a natural graphical evolution for the series and I find the art direction to be on-point. This game is one of my most anticipated for this year - I'm really hoping we get a December release as I'd love to play this before Christmas.

Looking forward to a definitive release date. Hope WayForward come through with another update in the near future.

Lijik

I love the character art but I agree Wayforwards mix of 2D "sprites" and 3D level assets have never meshed well with me

Narroo

I love the character art but I agree Wayforwards mix of 2D "sprites" and 3D level assets have never meshed well with me

Honestly, I find it a bit of a down grade from Pirate's Curse. It's almost as if it should have been: Risky's Revenge->1/2 Genie->Pirate's Curse in terms of progression.

TheOGB

Banned
Yeah, I like WayForward too, but the phrase "Good, but could be better" describes most of their output.
Also describes their 3D backgrounds. I do like the style of the character sprites, though.

So far Pirate's Curse is peak Shantae in every aspect, especially art style.

TheOGB

Banned
Just happened to go through earlier pages of this thread and found an old post I thought was relevant to the current discussion.

Firing up Shantae and the Pirate's Curse in anticipation for the new game. Hope it's still on track for this year! Looking forward to their next KS update.

Heads up to those early access backers: Just got an email about an update with a special announcement for early access backers coming tomorrow.

Wayforward said:
Hello Early Access Backers!

Tomorrow we’ll have a special announcement for all of our Early Access Backers. Please keep your eyes peeled for tomorrow’s update – you won’t want to miss it!

See you then!

--Half-Genie Hero Team

12694e7098fe4bcd43b84louxw.png

Tomorrow we’ll have a special announcement for all of our Early Access Backers. Please keep your eyes peeled for tomorrow’s update – you won’t want to miss it!
See you then!
--Half-Genie Hero Team
Game going live to backers that backed with Early Access tiers tomorrow?

Game going live to backers that backed with Early Access tiers tomorrow?

Yeah I would have thought so. It's the only exciting announcement that I can think of. Either tomorrow the game goes live or they announce a special earlier release date for early access backers. Looking forward to seeing the announcement tomorrow. Glad to see some momentum finally.

Also thank you to the Gaffer that posted the update here. Locked out of the KS update because I'm not a backer. Kudos!

Skeletos311

Can they just put the game up early like that? Don't they have to pass certification to put anything up on the stores, which takes longer than a week?

Can they just put the game up early like that? Don't they have to pass certification to put anything up on the stores, which takes longer than a week?

Good point - though the game was already submitted for certification as per the last update so it may have passed by now allowing them to upload an early access version of the game. Personally I'm hoping we get a concrete release date tomorrow as well for before Christmas. Really looking forward to playing this game!

Haha I just can't win when it comes to posting updates...

Awesome of you to keep us updated though dude! As I said in my earlier post the update was backers only so it was cool to be able to read it here. Wouldn't have been able to see it if you hadn't posted in this thread. Thank you!

Awesome of you to keep us updated though dude! As I said in my earlier post the update was backers only so it was cool to be able to read it here. Wouldn't have been able to see it if you hadn't posted in this thread. Thank you!
Oh no I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining sorry! I can never get the images to work so I just give up. But then someone else gets it to appear so I feel stupid haha.

Psxphile

Oh no I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining sorry! I can never get the images to work so I just give up. But then someone else gets it to appear so I feel stupid haha.

Don't direct-link to the kickstarter page, they don't allow you to embed images off-site. Instead, save the image and upload it to another image hosting site like imgur.com or abload.de.

Super curious to see what their announcement is. I'm guessing an early access release date but secretly I'm hoping for an actual concrete release date for everyone else too. Guess we'll see in a few hours when WayForward post the update to backers.

As I've said before hope the game's still on track for this year.

Wonko_C

My friend who funded the early access tier told me he got a mail with a code earlier today. Will post pics when he's back from work if no one else has then.

JoeFu

Banned
I forgot I was an early access backer lol. Saw the special announcement announcement email in my inbox today. Still no email for the actual announcement though.

Soulstar

Someone on /v/ confirmed it's another playable alpha build.

Yep. I'm playing it right now. Don't know how far into the game it goes but I beaten the first two bosses so far.

I have to say that this game is beautiful and the music so far is ace. I also like how they handled the transformations in this game. I was worried that it would break the pace too much especially after the pirate tools in Pirate's Curse but they made it so that transformations are really quick and don't break up the flow.

TIME TO CELEBRATE!

Happy December, Backers! Here’s some holly jolly news that’s sure to bring joy to your day!

DOWNLOAD CODES COMING THIS MONTH!

Thanks for your help last week! Everyone’s platform selections are in! We’re now in the process of updating Backer Kit to reflect any changes that we received via support email, which will take several days. Remember, if you never made a selection, we’ve selected Steam for Win PC for you.

And with that, the platform selection period is now closed!

With the final tallies in hand, we’re working with Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, and Valve to get codes for each platform and territory. We’ll do our best to get them into your hands at the same time, but since there is a lot of coordination needed we ask for your understanding if some people get codes slightly ahead of others.

Your download codes are expected to arrive sometime in the next few weeks! We’ll update you the moment they arrive. We can’t wait for you to play the game!!

EARLY ACCESS BACKERS, YOU HAVE THE GAME!

Early Access Backers, guess what?! You can go and play Shantae: Half-Genie Hero RIGHT NOW!!

Long ago, each of you received a STEAM PRODUCT KEY which granted you early access to our Beta levels. Today we replaced it our beta levels with an Early Access version of the full product! If your Steam Account is set up to auto-update, that’s it! You have it!

But hold on... there are some things you need to know before you play:

The PC version of the game is still in test. You might experience bugs or crashes, and the content you see may differ from the final version. You aren’t playing the official release.

Steam Achievements and Trading Cards have are not active in the Early Access version of the game, and your save files may not be transferable to the official release. In other words, enjoy Early Access, but be prepared to play the game again when the official version launches.

You don’t need a special code to download this game. The Early Access code you received previously is the only code you need. Log into Steam, and you’ll find the game already in your Game Library.

The Early Access version of the game is English only, but the final version of the PC game will include multiple languages.

Finally, the Early Access version of the game will be deactivated when the official game is released, because it’s technically a demo. Until then, please enjoy this early version of the game!

Please note: if you never redeemed your Early Access code at all, there are three steps you need to take:

Step One: Create a Profile (Instructions here: http://bit.ly/KS53SHGH)

Step Two: Claim your code (Instructions here: http://bit.ly/KS71HGH)

Step Three: Launch Steam for Win PC, and navigate to the dropdown “Games/Activate a Product on Steam” located on Steam’s main menu. There! You're done!

A MESSAGE ABOUT CREDITS!

When the game launches, some Backer credits will be missing. When parsing through the data, we had to omit names like:

Pikachu (trademark)
Matt “slightly receding hairline, friend of Frodo Baggins” Bozon (short phrases or extra names between quotes)
0010111000111 (looked like code)
Name that was all emojis or wingdings (our fonts can't handle it)
Voldi “games for sale at www.wayforward.com/nameyourprice.com” Way (can’t have an ad, or a URL in your name)

You get the idea. Basically, if your name was withheld for any reason, we’ll be reaching out after launch to get it sorted out. Your credit will be included in a future update!

A MESSAGE ABOUT YOUR ART IN GAME!

Similar to the above! If you contributed to the “Your-Art-in-Game” feature, that means you are about to see your artwork in Scuttle Town’s Art Gallery! If for some reason you don’t like what you see, we can work with you to adjust the image for inclusion in a future update.

That’s all for now!

Have a great day and see you next update!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
That's totally awesome. I won't be able to play it until tomorrow night, but that's definitely something to look forward to.

I hope they didn't omit my name from the credits. I generally like to keep my username in there in lieu of a middle name if possible and my real name doesn't take up much space.

And if that is the case, I would have preferred to havebbeen notified ahead of time to rectify it before the official release rather than have it be in some update.

CazTGG

Awesome to see this happen so soon after their previous announcement, i'd play the newest build if I had the time...but I have to finish a few other tasks before I get around to this.

Skeletos311

I just beat the desert area. It's the third level I think. So far every level is pretty straight forward platforming. I haven't seen anything that feels like the dungeons of previous games. You do have to revisit the levels with new transformations and find new stuff for the usual Shantae fetch quests, but it's not like you're opening up the other half of the level or anything. The game is pretty fun and full of Shantae humor and all that but, I'm hoping for some more dungeon-like stuff later on.

Skeletos311

I'm a few more stages in. So far the basic formula is do a stage, go to town and talk to people, go back to a previous stage with new powers to get a quest items and more powers, repeat. This game doesn't seem to be a Metroidvania and I have not found any dungeon-like levels, but what this game does remind me of is Wario Land 4 on GBA and Mega Man X games when you go back to stages you've beaten, with new powers to find stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom