• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sheriff's investigators to recommend manslaughter charge for Caitlyn Jenner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh wow that's the first time I've heard that argument great point.

Let's say you answer your phone while driving, and as a result kill a person crossing a crosswalk. What is the likelihood you answer the phone again while driving? Oh and by the way you won't have a license for two years. Are you such a dangerous person that you can't be allowed to walk the streets?

How about we actually train people to drive before issuing licenses before we get all upset when somebody does something they shouldn't. Right now driver education in America is "Here, read this rule book and take this joke of a test. Great job here's a license, but remember: you're completely responsible for knowing all the laws we never discussed. Anyway, have fun!"
Are you trolling? Training was the issue here?

OctoMan

Banned
Drunk driving is taken as seriously as it is today because of harsh laws against it I would imagine. You want texting and driving to be taken that seriously by everyone? Have them face harsh penalties.

This some unfiltered bullshit.

This wasn't an innocent fender bender that resulted in minor bruising.

A person died because of Caitlyn Jenner. She needs to be held accountable and responsible for that.

I never said she should go free of punishment, only that jail time is grossly inappropriate (also doesn't appear to be what they're pursuing in this case).

To a degree, yes. Drivers in America really aren't educated about their responsibilities. If an operator of heavy equipment on a construction site was educated on their responsibilities as an operator like drivers on the roads are, and they caused a safety incident, the company that trained him and not the operator would be at fault.

yes.

laws can exist as a deterrent you know. if the idea of killing someone isn't enough of a deterrent for a selfish piece of shit, maybe the idea of jail time is.

Laws as deterrent don't really work (yeah, yeah, citation needed, see below), and calling someone a selfish piece of shit for using a phone while driving is pretty silly. I mean it's a selfish action, but people just don't know wtf they're doing in general and we give them great big two-ton death machines and unleash them on the world.

Drunk driving is taken as seriously as it is today because of harsh laws against it I would imagine. You want texting and driving to be taken that seriously by everyone? Have them face harsh penalties.

There are also harsh penalties for drunk driving under normal conditions, not just when a crash results. What's the worst you get for texting. A couple hundred bucks? In a handful of states? Get serious about that enforcement first before sending people to jail. We're getting there, certainly, but it still doesn't have near the exposure and social disapproval that drunk driving does.

Slayven

I'm not familiar with the case, but let's not act like driver education is to the point where society has firmly grasped the risks of using a phone while driving. Certainly not enough to warrant felony charges for doing it.

If you need a driver's course to tell you not to text and drive, you shouldn't be behind the wheel anyway.

Lazyslob

Banned
Every crash (not accident) is caused by someone fucking up and doing something wrong. Is cellphone use significantly more dangerous? Yeah. Do I feel that it justifies otherwise normal people who don't fully grasp its risks going to jail? No, that's fucking ludicrous.

Jail is for people who are dangerous to others. Fine, revocation of their license and a requirement for extensive education is appropriate, not jail time.

woah

To a degree, yes. Drivers in America really aren't educated about their responsibilities. If an operator of heavy equipment on a construction site was educated on their responsibilities as an operator like drivers on the roads are, and they caused a safety incident, the company that trained him not the operator would be at fault.

This has to be the most bizarre defense of texting/looking at phone while driving I've ever read.

If you need a driver's course to tell you not to text and drive, you shouldn't be behind the wheel anyway.

Most people shouldn't be behind the wheel as it is for a litany of reasons, let's not pretend that texting and driving is the new dividing line.

This has to be the most bizarre defense of texting/looking at phone while driving I've ever read.

Then it should be easy to refute, go ahead. Edit: And more importantly I'm not defending phone use while driving, just railing against the feigned social outrage against it. We only care when someone gets hurt by it, not enough to curb use or spend money on education.

For a second I forgot about the crash and thought that the sheriff wanted to charge her with manslaughter for the murder of Bruce Jenner or something, lol.

Ralemont

not me
Then it should be easy to refute, go ahead. Edit: And more importantly I'm not defending phone use while driving, just railing against the feigned social outrage against it. We only care when someone gets hurt by it, not enough to curb use or spend money on education.

Not enough to curb use? It's against the law and I have seen people pulled over for it. It demonstrably kills people due to distraction - including the driver - and since it's something completely within their control, it is their responsibility and not the driver education system when they harm someone because of it. Just like drunk driving.

I never said she should go free of punishment, only that jail time is grossly inappropriate (also doesn't appear to be what they're pursuing in this case).

Hm, people know that beeing on the phone while driving is dangerous. They actively take that risc. I think there should be a certain punishment, not to protect the society from these people but to deter other people from taking similar riscs. I mean, we just had a case where someone was on the phone and killed another person in a crash and the punishment was 25$ fine. Thats ridiculous.

I think a year of prison and a significant compensation for the vistims family would be appropriate.

That is if she actually was on the phone. OP only says she was driving "unsafe for the prevailing road conditions" which could mean a lot.

Not enough to curb use? It's against the law and I have seen people pulled over for it. It demonstrably kills people due to distraction - including the driver - and since it's something completely within their control, it is their responsibility and not the driver education system when they harm someone because of it. Just like drunk driving.

Hm, people know that beeing on the phone while driving is dangerous. They actively take that risc. I think there should be a certain punishment, not to protect the society from these people but to deter other people from taking similar riscs. I mean, we just had a case where someone was on the phone and killed another person in a crash and the punishment was 25$ fine. Thats ridiculous.

I think a year of prison and a significant compensation for the vistims family would be appropriate.

That is if she actually was on the phone. OP only says she was driving "unsafe for the prevailing road conditions" which could mean a lot.

Look at the disparity between punishments for drunk driving and texting when no crash results from their use. Drunk driving you can lose your license, go to jail, be fined thousands of dollars. Texting is what, $50? $200? Maybe? If your state is one that has a law for it?

Let's not pretend the enforcement is there yet.

I honestly don't know if you're trolling now so I'm just going to drop it.

Look at the disparity between punishments for drunk driving and texting when no crash results from their use. Drunk driving you can lose your license, go to jail, be fined thousands of dollars. Texting is what, $50? $200? Maybe? If your state is one that has a law for it?

I suppose it really is the same thing. "I can drive, I'm actually really good at driving drunk!" "I can text while driving, it's NBD"

Then what are you talking about? I think it's pretty funny that my mind went to ridiculous transphobia.

On the off chance that you're being serious, a sheriff is typically the head law enforcement official in a county or county-equivalent in the United States. The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office is one of the largest law enforcement agencies in the country.

Hmm, thanks.

Tagyhag

Lol why are people arguing with each other? At the end of the day none of you are going to admit that the other party is right.

Personally, she should not get away without punishment.

Ralemont

not me

So your point is that texting and driving should be taken more seriously? Okay, sure. What does that have to do with what you were saying earlier?

"Oops I'm bad at driving" is a pretty shitty reason to charge someone with felony manslaughter

You can't be serious.

Like people who kill other people because they were looking at their phone while driving?

image.php

Now y'all can move on..

But yeah, "I was irresponsible" is not a defense fo vehicular manslaughter. Unless "I was irresponsible" is a defense for your kid finding your gun and hurting themselves with it.

ElFly

If a driver kills another person because of a mistake made while texting/phone using, there should be definitely jail time, period. It's ridiculous this is even a discussion.

Also, the gov should look into whether SUVs are too dangerous to other vehicles. Seems that if you collide with one you are more prone to dying just because the damn things may climb over your car and crush you.

I thought the exact same thing and I found it funny as well lol.

Glad I'm not alone. :v It's honestly disturbing that it's a valid interpretation of the thread title, haha.

If a driver kills another person because of a mistake made while texting/phone using, there should be definitely jail time, period. It's ridiculous this is even a discussion.

From what we know now, cell phone usage is not a factor.

Zoe

I could have sworn there were pictures of her on the phone right before the crash, but turns out they were taken days after the crash.

Seriously?

I can't tell if I'm more surprised that someone didn't know that there were still sheriffs or that there someone thinks that people don't know that they shouldn't text or use their cell phone while driving.

That shit has commercials all over television and radio and there are tons of billboards. You literally have to have your eyes closed and ears plugged constantly to not know that by now.

I could have sworn there were pictures of her on the phone right before the crash, but turns out they were taken days after the crash.

Seriously?

Oh wow. So is that where this idea came from? That's some pretty lazy research, jeez

That said though, I really have to side-eye people when they use their cell phone on the road, Jenner plz stop.

Ponn

Banned
If she was tailgating then she'd be partly responsible for the crash.

Which is a big problem. Cell phone use/texting is also a big problem but yes people drive like shitheads period. Most of this is covered in drivers test that people conveniently forget as soon as they get their license in their hands. There is a bridge here in my city that you literally can see people hit the pedal to the floor as soon as they cross onto it and drive like idiots till they can see the cop car sitting on the other side. And every other month we have a horrific accident where someone is rear ended by someone speeding or weaving and literally knocked over the guard wall into the river and drown in their car, including families. And it never fails that the person that causes the accident has a record of bad driving or already has their license suspended (just because people don't have a license doesn't stop them from getting in a car). Just like children that will repeatedly do stuff they know they shouldn't till they actually receive a consequence that affects them enough to make them stop doing it the same applies to adults.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I can't be the only one who thought back during the Caitlyn Jenner reveal that, coupled with the car crash story, it would all end with a debate on where she would be serving time (i.e. men's vs women's prison).

That shit has commercials all over television and radio and there are tons of billboards. You literally have to have your eyes closed and ears plugged constantly to not know that by now.

Texting-while-driving car crash commercials made up 1/3rd of the depressing Superbowl commercials that aired this year.

I'm 100% serious. People know drunk driving is dangerous and react to others doing it. How many people do you see driving down the road on their cellphone? Do police pull them over? How often do passengers speak up when the driver answers a call, or uses a phone to text?

The level of awareness right now is "Well I know I shouldn't, but I'm a safe driver I'll be okay." Until that changes you can't just slap people with 10-20 year prison sentences for phone use leading to an accident. What good does that do for anyone?

No they dont. People think its ok to drive drunk all the time.

By your logic, may as well not put them in jail either.

Oh good, then since I'm the only one actually trying to understand all facets of the issue, she shouldn't get jail time because driver education was so poor in 1970's Amuriduh that no one from that backwater country could possibly know the responsibilities of handling a vehicle.

Did you really just randomly pop in to rant about this in response to "cell phone usage wasn't a factor"?

clav

Yes, vehicular manslaughter can be a misdemeanor in California.

One of my friends was killed because of a drunk driver who was also high on marijuana. Guilty person was sentenced to only one year in jail and some time in probation.

Cyklik

Neo Member
Oh wow. So is that where this idea came from? That's some pretty lazy research, jeez

That said though, I really have to side-eye people when they use their cell phone on the road, Jenner plz stop.

I'm having a really hard time with this.

She is seen driving while using a phone only days after causing an accident that killed another person. And apparently she did so without being distracted by a phone. You don't find that behavior incredibly irresponsible? Maybe "side-eye" just doesn't carry as much weight in my interpretation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom