• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prosecutors decline to charge Caitlyn Jenner in fatal crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHarvey16

I think most people are just apathetic. It requires effort to change and most of us are dealing with more personal issues and maybe can't keep up as expected with the latest social SOPs.

So here we are doing the work and just telling you how you should treat this person. Strangely it seems your apathy disappears when discussing the awful plight of folks being "attacked" for not using the right pronoun.

Matt

If you honestly believe this, you need to go back to drivers ed or stop driving altogether. If you don't give yourself enough distance between you and the car in front of you to avoid a collision, you are a bad driver. There is not an insurance company or court that would be on your side.

Being a bad driver isn't a crime.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Love how cut and dry you've made that scenario.

I'll keep that in mind the next time a car suddenly slams on it's brakes while I'm behind them, or the like. I'll be sure to remember that if an accident occurs it's because I didn't engage my superhuman reflexes in order to avoid a collision.

If you crash someone from behind you are always responsible. You didn't keep enough distance to be able to brake.

see5harp

She may be responsible for the death, and that's on her conscience for the rest of her life, but it doesn't mean she should go to jail for it. This is a lot like that last thread where the rich kid hydroplaned and killed the college girl.

The prosecution failing to aggressively pursue charges raises legitimate questions about special treatment in deference to the suspect's established fame and privilege.

It does raise the question.

But so far everything points to the conclusion that people simply aren't charged for this in the vast majority of cases. You could charge someone for misdemeanor manslaughter for driving at unsafe speed, but every "expert" I've seen comment on it says it would be unlikely.

So the question has been raised, and it also appears to have been answered.

MIMIC

Banned
Here is why they didn't:

http://documents.latimes.com/caitlyn-jenner-declination/

Refer to the definition of misdemeanor vehicular homicide in California for further details.

"At 4.2 seconds before impact, victim engaged her brakes and started to slow. Suspect disengaged gas pedal and his car started to slow."

And this is what's supposed to HELP Jenner's case? If you wait 4 seconds to brake after the car ahead of you is braking, of COURSE you're going to slam right into them.

Sounds like Jenner was distracted and was like, "Aw shit!" since she didn't start to brake until she was basically right on top of her. Even the video looks like Jenner was careening toward the victim's car, and had she realized that traffic wasn't exactly flowing at the time, she would have stopped well before then.

anaron

Umm, no it's not. What do you think a "crime" is?
Exactly how it's defined, as in breaking the law - an example of such for driving includes: speeding, tailgating, illegal passing, texting and/or drinking while driving.

they might considered minor infractions but they're still illegal for a reason.

Matt

Exactly how it's defined, as in breaking the law - an example of such for driving includes: speeding, tailgating, illegal passing, texting and/or drinking while driving.

I...what? What are you arguing? You can do none of those things and still be a bad driver.

KHarvey16

"At 4.2 seconds before impact, victim engaged her brakes and started to slow. Suspect disengaged gas pedal and his car started to slow."

And this is what's supposed to HELP Jenner's case? If you wait 4 seconds to brake after the car ahead of you is braking, of COURSE you're going to slam right into them.

Sounds like Jenner was distracted and was like, "Aw shit!" since she didn't start to brake until she was basically right on top of her. Even the video looks like Jenner was careening toward the victim's car, and had she realized that traffic wasn't exactly flowing at the time, she would have stopped well before then.

It says Jenner applied her brakes 1.4 to 1.9 seconds before impact.

The main point is there needs to be some kind of infraction occurring to qualify for the misdemeanor charge.

SCReuter

This is bullshit. Car accidents should not be tolerated, especially the 1,000,000+ rear-end collisions that happen every year. Jenner needs to be in jail, ya'll.

I know for a fact that I have NEVER been distracted behind the wheel. Not once. Fuck Jenner and fuck "human error."

23qwerty

it's fascinating to see so many people so eager to send a senior citizen to jail over an accident. community service, permanent revoking of her drivers license, and the inevitable civil suit are far more reasonable.

Garlador

This is bullshit. Car accidents should not be tolerated, especially the 1,000,000+ rear-end collisions that happen every year. Jenner needs to be in jail, ya'll.

I know for a fact that I have NEVER been distracted behind the wheel. Not once. Fuck Jenner and fuck "human error."

Did you kill someone too?

Because car accidents that cost another human their life that are entirely, 100% your fault tend to be jail-able offenses.

it's fascinating to see so many people so eager to send a senior citizen to jail over an accident. community service, permanent revoking of her drivers license, and the inevitable civil suit are far more reasonable.
Many people have "accidents". I've had a fender-bender before in a parking lot. Not everyone's accident comes at the cost of human life.

But this one did.

Heheheh, note how you have to go to extremes and label this as " distracted".

Jenner was going too fast and swerving like a maniac if you watch the video.

She recklessly killed someone. Let's not pretend like she's senile here, and didn't know what she was doing.

anaron

I...what? What are you arguing? You can do none of those things and still be a bad driver.
what are you arguing, exactly? you said being a bad driver isn't a crime in relation to Caitlin's idiot self fucking up and causing an accident that killed someone.

SCReuter

Because car accidents that cost another human their life that are entirely, 100% your fault tend to be jail-able offenses.

Hopefully if I ever rear-end somebody there will be a median strip that separates us from oncoming traffic, although I'll still be the biggest piece of shit ever for not being 100% alert at all times.

Garlador

This isn't true. Why do people keep saying this?

Because that IS the truth? I have family members that had to serve jail time for less than Catilyn has done for similar infractions.

Hopefully if I ever rear-end somebody there will be a median that separates us from oncoming traffic, although I'll still be the biggest piece of shit ever for not being 100% alert at all times.
In the eyes of the family you robbed of their loved one, YES, you absolutely would be.

But do try and tell the judge, "oh, I'm sorry I can't be 100% alert at all times!"

When you're driving, YES, you need to be alert at all times. That's called being a responsible driving, and why being an irresponsible one can get you criminal charges.

I think there would be complete outrage if they sent Jenner to jail. Although It's rather suspect how everything unfolded.

I could only imagine the hate and vitriol from Jenner's supporters if she was thrown in jail.

Ducarmel

I'm curious do people go to jail for car accidents that lead to a death without evidence of negligence?

Hopefully if I ever rear-end somebody there will be a median strip that separates us from oncoming traffic, although I'll still be the biggest piece of shit ever for not being 100% alert at all times.

Are you being intentionally obtuse?

You'd be a pretty big piece of shit for going way too fast and then slamming into someone, yeah.

Matt

what are you arguing, exactly? you said being a bad driver isn't a crime in relation to Caitlin's idiot self fucking up and causing an accident that killed someone.

Being a bad driver ISN'T a crime. Being a negligent driver CAN be.

Garlador

In this case, Caitlyn Jenner was both.

Yeah, I'm sure you're not disregarding any important details showing they aren't the same at all.
And what details are those?

My family member went to jail for a spell after driving too fast in traffic, accidentally slamming into someone, and they got injured and hospitalized. Unlike Caitlyn's victim, they LIVED, but he still got charged with reckless driving, even though he wasn't speeding, wasn't texting, and was under no influence.

anaron

same goddamn difference. They're usually a direct symptom of eachother. and you're not likely to be a bad driver if you actually follow the rules of the road.

lol at describing her as a senior citizen and letting that label somehow absolve her of any responsibility.

It's pretty gross how lightly the US treats car crashes. I mean, most of you don't even use the word "crash," it's always an "accident." Our dismissal of the seriousness is evident in the language we use to discuss it.

Matt

Because that IS the truth? I have family members that had to serve jail time for less than Catilyn has done for similar infractions.

If that's true I'm sorry, but that doesn't mean it tends to be the case. Much more often then not, such charges are not pursued.

MIMIC

Banned
It says Jenner applied her brakes 1.4 to 1.9 seconds before impact.

Whoops. Misunderstood.

But even then, if you're following that closely (or going that fast), braking that late is fatal....as we see here. From the video, you can already see Jenner's car going way too fast. I can't even tell if the victim's car is even moving. It looks almost exactly like the animated recreation.

The main point is there needs to be some kind of infraction occurring to qualify for the misdemeanor charge.

The evaluation sheet says that "suspect's conduct was not unreasonable". Flying toward a car that is barely moving is not unreasonable? That sounds like reckless driving to me. If that doesn't count as an infraction in California, then something is clearly wrong.

23qwerty

lol at describing her as a senior citizen and letting that label somehow absolve her of any responsibility.
lol at assuming that's what I meant

there's nothing to be gained from sending her to jail as opposed to community service and revoking the drivers license permanently. some people are acting as if she intended to kill someone.

Matt

same goddamn difference. They're usually a direct symptom of eachother. and you're not likely to be a bad driver if you actually follow the rules of the road.

It's not the same. A crime is a violation of criminal code, which the prosecution is saying they can't prove in this case. She will absolutely be found liable in civil court, but that is not the same as being found guilty of a crime.

Garlador

If that's true I'm sorry, but that doesn't mean it tends to be the case. Much more often then not, such charges are not pursued.

And that doesn't make it any less wrong not to pursue it. I'm not defending my family member; he was responsible, even if he never intended it to happen.

Caitlyn, however, gets off scott-free with a corpse left in her wake as a direct result of her actions and hers alone.

KHarvey16

And what details are those?

My family member went to jail for a spell after driving too fast in traffic, accidentally slamming into someone, and they got injured and hospitalized. Unlike Caitlyn's victim, they LIVED, but he still got charged with reckless driving, even though he wasn't speeding, wasn't texting, and was under no influence.

Recklessly driving through traffic isn't the same as noticing someone stopped in front of you too late.

Also, was it in California?

When you're sharing a road filled with moving cars and pedestrian crossings, you better damn well be alert the whole time. If not, pull over and rest until you can be, or consider taking a bus or cab instead.

And remember that this mistake cost somebody their life.

I'm not looking for Caitlyn to be jumped on - just treated like anybody else. If that's whats going on here than the laws might be too lax. Can't really speak much to it without knowing the history that shaped those laws and the fine print though.

KHarvey16

Whoops. Misunderstood.

But even then, if you're following that closely (or going that fast), braking that late is fatal....as we see here. From the video, you can already see Jenner's car going way too fast. I can't even tell if the victim's car is even moving. It looks almost exactly like the animated recreation.

The evaluation sheet says that "suspect's conduct was not unreasonable". Flying toward a car that is barely moving is not unreasonable? That sounds like reckless driving to me. If that doesn't count as an infraction in California, then something is clearly wrong.

There needs to be an infraction and negligence. It's also stated she was not speeding and wasn't moving much faster than the victim.

Edit

Sorry, it says Jenner was driving minimally slower than the victim prior to the victim braking.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, that design is pretty tasteless, i guess south park is back at shitting on trans people, one thing is to call her out for the issue at hand, but it was completely unnecesary and uncalled for to portray her like some sort of botched plastic surgery job.
wait prior to her transition bruce jenner already looked like a pretty badly botched plastic surgery jov i thought

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
But she's male until she's not. I guess I just don't get it. You can't just say you're something different than you are until you make a physical alteration.

So, are you technically a female if you lose your genitals in an accident? If people went out of their way to use the wrong pronoun knowing the state of your genitalia, would you be ok with it knowing that it's technically a correct use?

Gender is obviously more than genitalia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom