• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shots fired at Police during Dallas Police anti-violence protest (5 officers killed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syder

Yes call him a racist. He literally said the race of a person would make him treat them as more dangerous. Bullshit coddling is what allows it to flourish. What does it say about you if look at that and think "not racist"?
That's why we have a discussion. I don't know this guy. Everything he has said is sketchy as fuck so far. I want him to justify it.

What was the tweet?

A picture of their initial Person of Interest. Everyone, including every major media organization, instantly assumed he was the killer. It was just some black dude open-carrying a firearm (as is legal in Texas) who gave his weapon to an officer as soon as the shooting started.

He was proved to be completely innocent pretty soon after the tweet went out but Dallas PD didn't delete it until a few minutes ago for some bizarre reason.

pigeon

Banned
Honestly I think it's a major cognitive failing to try to explain the motivations of mass shooters.

Whether it's BLM, religion, misogyny, whatever, the vast majority of people are capable of having strong feelings and connections to social or political ideas without murdering anybody.

The proximate cause of mass shooters is a horrific failing of empathy, impulse control, etc. Once you lose that you'll get a shooter. The cause they associate with is more or less arbitrary. If you doubt this, remember the "I don't like Mondays" woman.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
No surprises here.
BLM is full of extremists and racists and they even encourage shit like that.

I fear what happened today is just the beginning.

And you know this because you've interacted with tons of BLM members or because Glenn Beck et al told you so?

Rainer70

Going to reiterate what I said yesterday because this has just been on my mind all damn day. Today just felt surreal at work almost like a dream.

I do NOT condone what happened last night and my hearts goes out the officers and their families. But quite frankly I'm shocked nothing like this happened sooner. For decades and generations people have pointed out the executions and mistreatment of minorities among corrupt police officers. People either didn't care, racist or just was ok with the status quo.

Recently We've gained the ability to record and share these tragic events for the world to see. It's enabled people to mobilize and speak out. Yet time and again we come to the same intersections and nothing is done. No one is held accountable. Then you have prosecutors and even the media doing everything in their power to portray the deceased as a devil child with superhuman abilities.

Now you have politicians and literally a Presidential candidate that fan these flames. Lawmakers have had plenty of opportunities to address this issue. Yet they preach this is some ploy to attack police and time and again nothing is done.

Then a few days ago we get the latest killings and then last night the bomb exploded. I say this with tears in my eyes right now but last night was the culmination of decades of mistreatment, no justice. Decades of "he was no angel". It was decades of political cowardice. They could have done something about this yet they didn't. We need gun control, We need law enforcement reform/restructuring.

Again I do no condone what happened. It isn't right and should have never happened. But people shouldn't have had to march for justice on these issues in the first place.

I've said this countless times to my mother and friends. If nothing is done regards to actually treating these officers who commit these murders to actual justice. Something is going to happen. Someone is going to take it upon themselves and do something stupid and retaliate. Unfortunately that happened last night.

Again I'm just shocked it didn't happen sooner. At some point someone will reach a breaking point. If time and time again a black person is killed at the hands of police unjustly and we march for justice and peace yet nothing is done. How can anyone be shocked by what happened last night?

It's wrong what happened it should have never happened but I think Tupac said it best here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0XMJMphPT4

Sorry for the long post guys and sorry if it's kinda all over the place. I just kinda had to get this out. I just feel this is a crucial moment for out nation right now and America has to take a good long hard look at herself and ask "how did we get here?"

Great post, exactly how I feel.

TaterTots

Banned
Poisoned pizza.

Sadly, I laughed because that shooter was obviously too skilled to fall for such a parlor trick.

*knocks on the door*
*"you hungry, man? Got a deluxe pizza for you."*
*"Not really"*
*"awww come on...just a little bite?"*

He knew how this was going to play out and his mind was made up.

"Justify" have different meanings. To explain the causal connection between two events is to justify it, but it has absolutely nothing to do with morally or legally justify it.

I might be wrong, but I think that the analysis that people targetting cops because they see the police force as an inherently unjust oppressive institution is a good justification, in the sense that it is a good way to explain one of the causes of the event.

It is a horrible moral justification, a horrible legal justification, a horrible political and pragmatic justification, because, as it pointed out in the thread a lot of time, this will probablty only make the life of black people even worse as the police gets even more militarized. But it as a good sociological/causal justification.

You can call bullshit on the theory that this is what is happening, but you can't run away from the analysis because acknowledging reality is, somehow, supporting it. If this is the reality and you want to criticize this mindset, the first step would be to acknowledge that this is what is going on, otherwise it will just keep happening because it becomes one of those things we refure to even talk about, let alone do anything about it.

I agree on that point, and it's totally understandable that black people would be more than a little pissed at cops. You can't use that as any justification For killing people though. Two wrongs don't make a right and this just makes a bad situation worse. Again, I do get it and I'd be fucking raging if I was a black American, but I can't stand next to anyone who tries to justify 5 killings. I don't think you are doing that, but I think you are looking for a justification where none exists

23qwerty

A picture of their initial Person of Interest. Everyone, including every major media organization, instantly assumed he was the killer. It was just some black dude open-carrying a firearm (as is legal in Texas) who gave his weapon to an officer as soon as the shooting started.

He was proved to be completely innocent pretty soon after the tweet went out but Dallas PD didn't delete it until a few minutes ago for some bizarre reason.

Oh lord

methane47

arrow-down-12.png

dayam

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Organizers of the rally have already come out on TV to condemn the attacks and express their support for dpd
Glad they did, and not surprising. And really those protests have shown remarkable restraint considering all the shit that's been happening that led to them. Similarly, I hope the police across the country can stop and think about the actions that led to this, rather than extend their violent "us vs. them" knee jerk reaction.

frogger

Yes call him a racist. He literally said the race of a person would make him treat them as more dangerous. Bullshit coddling is what allows it to flourish. What does it say about you if look at that and think "not racist"?

Shrug, I voted for Obama twice, hired black people based on their qualification. Have plenty black friends. All I am saying is I understand the reason some police officers do racial profiling given the statistics I cited from wikipedia, not saying that it is the correct things to do.

Boke1879

Your post implies that the police had this coming. No one deserves this. The Dallas police where moving to be more inclusive. The shooter was a racist cop hater as far as we can tell and attacked and murdered police officers for no reason other than his bigoted and generalized beliefs. This guy could possibly undo progress.

Never implied the police had it coming. I just said I'm shocked this hasn't happened sooner. I don't think it shocking to assume that someone at some point was going to retaliate or that this is the end of it really.

This entire issue has been festering for a long time and people have been using it as a political football, and nothing has been done on the issues of gun control or police brutality. These cops didn't have it coming. Never want to imply that. Innocent cops lost their lives last night. But lets not act like there hasn't been a sort of buildup to this point.

Two Words

Fair enough, but do you think you would you be more apprehensive around a white cop than a black cop?
I'd be apprehensive around both. It's not really easy to quanitify it since it is largely going to involve how they act. I've had white and black cops talk to me like a person and I've seen others that clearly have a power trip going on. As a black guy, I can't assume a black cop is going to treat me better than a white cop. Honestly, this whole argument is just a pointless distraction to the real issue.

Lyn

Banned
I did a search and hadn't seen this posted yet. Source: ABC News Twitter

Going by this, it sounds as though this individual has been planning something for a while. I doubt someone could easily, and without suspicion, accumulate bomb making materials, ballistic vests, rifles, ammunition, and write out a combat tactics journal in a matter of two days if this were influenced by recent police shootings. I have no doubt those shootings were the tipping point for pushing him into action, but it would appear this individual has had something in the works for a while now.

Nobody should believe that. 52% of homicides are committed by black people. The population numbers don't add up.

Its a true statistic though because the poster in question just parrots whatever statistics they read they got the wording wrong. Its not black people commit 52 percent of homicides its that black people are arrested for 52% of homicides. Its kinda ridiculous that people just look at statistics and do not look deeper. Your a lot more likely to be a victim of crime by some one of your own race that is the fact people generally tend to ignore because of perceived biases. Like take these Statistics for example

atlas_4yj9OKoQg.png

atlas_E1pEnFs7e.png

Shrug, I voted for Obama twice, hired black people based on their qualification. Have plenty black friends. All I am saying is I understand the reason some police officers do racial profiling given the statistics I cited from wikipedia, not saying that it is the correct things to do.

You think having black friends makes you Teflon Don proof?

sflufan

Banned
Your post implies that the police had this coming. No one deserves this. The Dallas police where moving to be more inclusive. The shooter was a racist cop hater as far as we can tell and attacked and murdered police officers for no reason other than his bigoted and generalized beliefs. This guy could possibly undo progress.

There is a significant difference between "they had it coming" (they deserved it) and "these events are the tragic consequence of the utterly forseeable reaction to decades of real and perceived oppression" (they are the unlucky victims of events beyond their control).

Fat4all

Banned

stevenandalangc3.jpg

Dylan Roof had a black friend, too.

LionPride

Banned
so what nigga? That don't mean shit

Kthulhu

Never implied the police had it coming. I just said I'm shocked this hasn't happened sooner. I don't think it shocking to assume that someone at some point was going to retaliate or that this is the end of it really.

This entire issue has been festering for a long time and people have been using it as a political football, and nothing has been done on the issues of gun control or police brutality. These cops didn't have it coming. Never want to imply that. Innocent cops lost their lives last night. But lets not act like there hasn't been a sort of buildup to this point.

The fact that we see police departments like in Dallas and Toronto becoming more supportive of their communities contradicts this idea that progress has not been made. Progress is typically slow and one bigoted person may have just ruined it for everyone.

Yeah he was found to be completely innocent over 17 hours ago and there's been video out there of him handing his gun to cops over 12 hours ago. I know the DPD has a lot on their plate right now, but it's irresponsible to leave his picture up there on an official source for that long. You're basically putting that person in danger.

Cagey

Banned
Much like many racists I've have the displeasure of being related to, you like some black persons, individually as persons, but you are hateful towards / have odious views of black people, the undefined group of humans.

That's still awful.

Jarmel

Banned
Just saw some of Rubio's press conference. Gave a good answer, much better than I was expecting.

Kinda surprised in general about some of the Republican responses. They've been much more mellow and understanding than I expected barring a few asshats.

MogCakes

There is a significant difference between "they had it coming" (they deserved it) and "these events are the tragic consequence of the utterly forseeable reaction to decades of real and perceived oppression" (they are the unlucky victims of events beyond their control).
Forseeable in a city whose PD has greatly improved and are making steps towards reformation and improved relationship with its people, at a peaceful protest they took part in helping to plan. An outlash at the most unlikely time and place.

This is such a tragic event. The racial tension is only going to get worse.

On one hand I do feel for the police. From my personal experience, I used to deliver food for a restaurant during college years. Between my colleagues and I, there were nearly 10 robberies during the 4 years of college and all of them were committed by blacks and most of them with guns. If I am a police officer I would be extra careful when the suspect is black too. I just don't see a perfect solution for all of these problems.

Ironically you are playing a role in making racial tensions worth with this post.

Kthulhu

"Saying I don't condone this, but" and then posting a video of a threatening quote sounds like borderline condolence.

Boke1879

The fact that we see police departments like in Dallas and Toronto becoming more supportive of their communities contradicts this idea that progress has not been made. Progress is typically slow and one bigoted person may have just ruined it for everyone.

They've done great for their community and I applaud them, but they aren't the rest of America unfortunately. Politicians who can enact change dont even see this as an issue. You're right man. It fucking sucks. I don't know where this moment is going to take us.

Diffense

I am not an expert on the history and activities of BLM but as far as I am concerned what happened in Dallas was the alternative to such a movement not the consequence of it.

BTW, the shootings were impersonal not indiscriminate. He targeted police men and women because he was acting against the police as a collective. A suicide bomber doesn't have any personal grievance with the people he blows up and a soldier doesn't have a quarrel with the enemy combatant he shoots. They come under attack because of the group they're aligned with. Likewise, if someone goes to war against the law enforcement institution then they are going to target police officers because they are its agents.

I think this is the point the banned guy (chancellor?) was trying to make but was a bit clumsy. Because the whole institution lost credibility due to repeated unpunished slayings by policemen, it came under attack and the consequence of that was dead policemen and women. All over the world, individuals belonging to various groups that feel cornered or oppressed by external powers have used violence. In the Turkey bombing thread people were wondering, at first, whether Kurdish separatists were involved. However, it's actually rather rare for an African American to directly target a symbol of state power even when it is being employed disproportionately against his group. That's part of what feels shocking about this and why tabloids are running alarmist "Civil War" headlines while preachers want us to remember MLK's dream.

For me it's a reminder that "peace" cannot be taken for granted while injustices persist. Many people in this thread have expressed the opinion that they felt that something like this could happen one day. It's definitely not surprising and confusing on the level of Sandy Hook.

Ah yes, reaping what you sow is definitely the way world works, just like karma isn't that right?

You mind reminding me when did Stalin reap what he had sown for killing tens of millions of people?

Or when did Andrew Jackson reap what he had sown?

But at least Josefe Mengele reaped what he had sown for being the leader of the most atrocious concentration camp in human history....by spending the rest of his days in fucking Argentina.

No, karma and reap what you saw aren't the way world works, they are just asinine concepts that people use to feel better about themselves and their actions.

Yeah, I don't know where you got karma from. This is more actions tend to have consequences.

The current system is utterly broken and the powers that be have shown, repeatedly, that they have no interest in making things better. All they suggest is peaceful protests, which conviently, can be easily ignored and swept under the rug. Big surprise that those that are happy with the status quo don't want anything dramatic to happen.

Things will have to get worse before they can better.

Majukun

I'm not american,so I'll ask..are there any theories as of WHY exactly would a part of the police forces in the USA are so trigger happy when dealing with afro-americans?
or it's one of those instances where they are trigger hhappy in general,but the media give more emphasis to the story that has that "touch" of race war?

Okay, so with that logic, remember next time a white cop pulls you over that if you're apprehensive for even a moment due to all the horrible things you've seen and read about white cops, that you are, in effect, a racist yourself. Or is that somehow different?

No one should let their experiences with or what they've heard about certain members of another race color their perception of that entire race, but it's something we all do anyway, even at a subconscious level.

'cop' isn't a race, it's a job. Black people being scared of cops isn't racial profiling.

frogger is advocating that the police racially profile black people because of their specific anecdotal experiences. That is racism.

Sunster

I'm not american,so I'll ask..are there any theories as of WHY exactly would a part of the police forces in the USA are so trigger happy when dealing with afro-americans?
or it's one of those instances where they are trigger hhappy in general,but the media give more emphasis to the story that has that "touch" of race war?

They are racist and poorly trained. If they weren't racist before they were trained to be racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom