• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shots fired at Police during Dallas Police anti-violence protest (5 officers killed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue with Kame is that he is substituting speculation/assumption/conspiracy as fact and using that to prop up his beliefs(See: his assertion the cops forced the killer to say what he said) and then speaking arrogantly as if his thoughts on a subject are the only possible and correct thoughts to hold. That everyone who disagrees is invalid(See: his criticism of the Dallas PD, his thoughts on protest, the use of racism as a term to describe the killer).

Racism is a term that can be described in very rigid academic ways, that can differ even within those disciplines, but has also a more general term that is accepted and used across the Western world.

In fact the totality of his behavior has often been borderline justifying/legitimizing toward the killer and defending/deflecting for the killer from certain criticisms. At best it is extremely close-minded and misguided at times. Which has made me personally tune him out and was hoping others would as well.

But I agree with him that shouting "racist" is completely missing the point. This guy was a goddamn fool, but unfortunately he is a product of a system of oppression, as opposed to a muslim man who decided to shoot up a bar full of gay people who he hated for no reason, or the white man who decided to shoot up a church full of black people who he again hated for no reason.

Not to say these cops were to blame specifically for any wrong doings, but there is a reason Johnson targeted white police offers.

Nobody was using racist as a label to wholly define him. Nobody attempted to handwave him as nothing more than an outlying one-off. That is a strawman target that has been set up to cover the deliberate attempts to redefine racism to fit an anti-establishment agenda, absolving Johnson and giving his actions legitimacy by granting him supposed immunity from being racist. Some seriously dangerous identity politics at play here.

EDIT: mostly by one poster, not you particularly.

But even if we were to absolve him of being racist, that isn't to say that what he did still wasn't depraved. Someone can see his actions as not being racist, but at the same time completely denounce them. I think people need to stop getting caught up in whether or not what Johnson's actions were racist, and instead WHY they happened. That's the issue here. And if it is racist, then what lead to this racism? There is an innate difference in something committing a racist act from the position of strength and someone committing a racist act from the position of being oppressed.

There is a difference between how and why racism manifests in someone who joins the KKK to lynch black people, and the way it manifests in a man who's people have been victimised by the establishment for centuries. And that is what needs to be understood here. I don't think many people in this thread seem to.

MogCakes

But even if we were to absolve him of being racist, that isn't to say that what he did still wasn't depraved. Someone can see his actions as not being racist, but at the same time completely denounce them. I think people need to stop getting caught up in whether or not what Johnson's actions were racist, and instead WHY they happened. That's the issue here. And if it is racist, then what lead to this racism? There is an innate difference in something committing a racist act from the position of strength and someone committing a racist act from the position of being oppressed.

There is a difference between how and why racism manifests in someone who joins the KKK to lynch black people, and the way it manifests in a man who's people have been victimised by the establishment for centuries. And that is what needs to be understood here. I don't think many people in this thread seem to.

Then I'll try to understand where you're coming from before any rebuttal. What changes if we call Johnson prejudiced and not racist? This argument began with people claiming he wasn't racist. Why is it important that we understand him to not be a racist?

where is the GOVERNOR in all this? why is this Lt. Gov allowed so much screen time?

If I remember correctly, in Texas, The Lt. Governor actually has more power than the Governor. The Governor has very little real power aside from influence. I may be misremembering it some, but I had learned it was something along those lines.

Because disbanding the entire police force is not the answer and would lead to total anarchy?

Oh, my sweet summer child.

Body armor without weapons don't "beat asses".

It does make it easier, though. The crude phrase, "don't put on a condom unless you wanna fuck" comes to mind.

What if they show up with "I'm ready to protect your ass" gear?

If cops wanted to protect protesters they'd stay home.

(See: his assertion the cops forced the killer to say what he said)

Wait, what?

He's absolutely right, sadly I'm sure he just committed career suicide
He'll be fine in local elections. People forget the Dallas mayor saying previously he is more scared of his white neighbor than he is of Islamic terrorism.

Dallas also had a bathroom bill in effect before pretty much anyone else.

Mr. X

They don't justify his actions no, and thats not what people arguing about this are getting at. When ths argument about the term "racist" popped up last night I admittedly also though it was just semantics and silly. When you take a step back and look at the arguments being made and don't reply out of emotion you start to see the points being made.

Earlier you called the man a bigot, the same way you would label a trump supporter who may subscribe to horrible view points about mexicans. That unfortunately ignores the nuances of the situation. Ask yourself this, if you would label a white supremacist KKK member a bigot as well as this shooter what is the difference between the two? What made the two people prejudice against certain skin colors? With Trump supporters, KKK and such the racism is coming from a larger unoppressed group that are in a society that makes them feel superior automatically through things like white privilege, media and institutional racism. Their hatred and bigotry of other races does not come from a place of wrongdoing done upon them but from feelings of having their superiority threatened or disdain from what they perceive as lesser beings. When you have a minority accused of racism their feelings are coming from a much different place. They have felt the effects of institution racism their whole lives, they have had certain groups (generally white people) look down upon them their whole lives and have had to live in a society that generally puts them on a pedestal of superiority or perfection if you will. They continually see their lives portrayed as worthless compared to those of white people in the news and police shooting after police shooting. All of these things not by their choice but forced on them. So I mean hopefully if people can look at the situation through that lens and with a level of empathy you can see why others are arguing for not wanting the situation waived off with a general label of the shooter was "racist". That is exactly what racist/diet racist conservatives, trump supporters, fox news and others are hoping will happen so they don't have to take a deeper look at the causes for this tragedy. They are hoping to be able to say 'dude was a racist, end of story" This is just my observation of watching this argument unfold so i'm not saying i'm right, its just what i'm picking up when thinking about the points being made.

Thank you for understanding.

MogCakes

Thank you for understanding.

Is it necessary to not acknowledge Johnson as a racist to understand that he was a product of the state's failings? Why specifically the label racist? Does saying he was racist automatically invalidate the factors that drove him to do what he did?

Ya know, maybe y'all have a point about the racist terminology. As a person of color and an activist who has felt police repression first hand, my tendency is not to be interested in the explanations on race provided by mostly white liberals. But, after seeing post after post of mostly non-substantive, breathless condemnations, my views are starting to change. Micah X did a bad thing, and so in our anger we ought to have a bad name to call him. 'Terrorist' is kind of played out, and we don't want to let Muslims off the hook, so 'racist' is as good as any. Sure, "reverse racism" and "anti-white racism" as terms have an ugly history of being coined and used by the far-right to distract from black oppression. But like slavery, Jim Crow, and soon (thanks to the valiant efforts of the Dallas PD) police brutality, all that is histo-

Rudy Giuliani Says ‘Black Lives Matter’ Is ‘Inherently Racist’

“There’s too much violence in the black community,” he said. “A black will die 1% or less at the hands of the police and 99% of the hands of a civilian, most often another black.”

“So if you want to protect black lives, then you’ve got to protect black lives, not just against police, which happens rarely … and which happens every 14 hours in Chicago,” he added.

The former mayor also said parents have to teach their children how to respect police officers and that the “real danger to them” in the vast majority of situations is “other black kids who are going to kill them.”

“That’s the way they’re going to die,” Giuliani said.

“When you say black lives matter, that’s inherently racist,” he later added. “Black lives matter. White lives matter. Asian lives matter. Hispanic lives matter. That’s anti-American and it’s racist.”

Well, fuck.

ColdPizza

Banned
I don't know for what good reason cops on the scene are leaking pictures of this guy's firearm and dead body other than to stir the pot some more. That bothers me.

Giuliani is a racist piece of shit who wouldn't be shit except for 9/11. Nobody here is defending him or anything he says.

And wow at comparing modern Dallas PD to Jim Crow and slavery.

Cagey

Banned
Ya know, maybe y'all have a point about the racist terminology. As a person of color and an activist who has felt police repression first hand, my tendency is not to be interested in the explanations on race provided by mostly white liberals. But, after seeing post after post of mostly non-substantive, breathless condemnations, my views are starting to change. Micah X did a bad thing, and so in our anger we ought to have a bad name to call him. 'Terrorist' is kind of played out, and we don't want to let Muslims off the hook, so 'racist' is as good as any. Sure, "reverse racism" and "anti-white racism" as terms have an ugly history of being coined and used by the far-right to distract from black oppression. But like slavery, Jim Crow, and soon (thanks to the valiant efforts of the Dallas PD) police brutality, all that is histo-

Rudy Giuliani Says ‘Black Lives Matter’ Is ‘Inherently Racist’

Well, fuck.
So much wasted effort put into banal sarcasm because you can't bring yourself to insult someone directly, but you do admit you've no interest in learning because the education comes from a (edit: you assume) pale person.

That admission should hopefully end the attempts from others at discussions moving forward and put the thread back on whatever track is left to pursue.

MogCakes

Ya know, maybe y'all have a point about the racist terminology. As a person of color and an activist who has felt police repression first hand, my tendency is not to be interested in the explanations on race provided by mostly white liberals. But, after seeing post after post of mostly non-substantive, breathless condemnations, my views are starting to change. Micah X did a bad thing, and so in our anger we ought to have a bad name
You were the first to claim that he was not racist. All subsequent argument has been questioning the logic behind that. And assuming that everyone who isn't black must be white is some bullshit, excuse the language. I'm also a minority.

I am a very very well aware that there are POC liberals that hold your beliefs. That's why I said "mostly" white. It's almost like y'all only skim my posts before you start flaming. That can't be it though.

Please explain, if you would, instead of implying I am a child because I think a police force is kinda integral to any nation.

Unlike my other posts, that would actually be a derail. I'll post a link in a bit when I get to my laptop though. Also, my last post was a game of thrones quote.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds

Mr. X

No, he was racist. And also in part shaped by the issues on the US. He can be both. This isn't unreasonable.

Jim Crow Laws were racist
Segregation was racist
KKK is racist
American slavery was racist
Near genocide of Native Americans was racist
Charleston Church shooter was racist

They all had the goal of maintaining and enforcing white supremacy.

If calling a racist person racist invalidates exploring what made him or her racist for you, that's your personal failure.
Like Rudy Guiliani!

Jim Crow Laws were racist
Segregation was racist
KKK is racist
American slavery was racist
Near genocide of Native Americans was racist
Charleston Church shooter was racist

They all had the goal of maintaining and enforcing white supremacy.

Like Rudy Guiliani!
This murderer was racist too. Even if his cause wasn't white supremacy. Even if his "cause" was due to his issues with white supremacy.

Not sure what you were getting at here.

Media

I am a very very well aware that there are POC liberals that hold your beliefs. That's why I said "mostly" white. It's almost like y'all only skim my posts before you start flaming. That can't be it though.

Unlike my other posts, that would actually be a derail. I'll post a link in a bit when I get to my laptop though. Also, my last post was a game of thrones quote.

I am not trying to flame, just trying to understand. I don't think there is a single nation in the world without a police force. In my eyes, the way to fix police over-reach is not to burn it all down :/

And I know that was a Game of Thrones quote, which is why I took a bit of offense. :p It's not a shocking notion, at least to me, that people need a force to keep the law unless they want anarchy.

I understand it's super fucking frustrating to seem like there is no progress to be had, but saying stuff like 'no one else understands' or 'disband the police' is really...odd. Progress on anything is long, hard road and it takes time.

Sorry if it seems like I am 'somethingsplaining' or some shit, I am not white, not that that gives me a pass, but I am just trying to understand your position.

Edit: I don't want top of the page :(

Mr. X

This murderer was racist too. Even if his cause wasn't white supremacy. Even if his "cause" was due to his issues with white supremacy.

Not sure what you were getting at here.

I feel like I'm trying to explain to a friend the difference between "black power" and "white power" and why that's racist.

One demands equality and the other says no to it. Saying black power is racist implies removing power or switching places on the seesaw.

Rudy saying BLM is racist is him implying BLM doesn't want equality but to switch places or take something away from whites.

I feel like I'm trying to explain to a friend the difference between "black power" and "white power" and why that's racist.
No need. I understand the differences between racism and institutional racism.

He deprived people of their rights due to their race. He made this clear prior to his death. He didn't just target the institution of policing, he targeted only the white portion of that very same institution.

You're not going to change my mind on this front. Me calling him a racist does zero harm. So it's probably not a fruitful point of discussion at this point.

He didn't say "black power." He said let's terrorize a city and kill only white officers.

Iorv3th

One demands equality and the other says no to it. Saying black power is racist implies removing power or switching places on the seesaw.

You don't have to explain anything. Your definition of racism is different than others definition.

Mr. X

You don't have to explain anything. Your definition of racism is different than others definition.

Which I'm surprised, I went to a majority white high school and majority white college. Most of my history classes and sociology or similar classes gave me what I guess would be a sociology definition of the word and understanding of it.

MogCakes

Sounds more like you're lost in the us vs them mentality than anything else.

Cyriades

Always a black woman on the front lines.

13662154_108559.jpg

POWERFUL photo from Baton Rouge.

(Photo by Jonathan Bachman of Reuters.)

Jonm1010

Banned
But I agree with him that shouting "racist" is completely missing the point. This guy was a goddamn fool, but unfortunately he is a product of a system of oppression, as opposed to a muslim man who decided to shoot up a bar full of gay people who he hated for no reason, or the white man who decided to shoot up a church full of black people who he again hated for no reason.

Not to say these cops were to blame specifically for any wrong doings, but there is a reason Johnson targeted white police offers.

Believe it or not the Orlando killer also had a reason. Was it a justified reason? Absolutely not, but he believed he had one. Same goes for this guy.

I am not sure what point anyone would be missing calling him a racist? Assuming they aren't using it to merely hand wave away other context. Which I haven't seen happen so far.

Its a stupid semantics argument that 1 or 2 rigid posters refuse to accept any other definition outside of their particular interpretation. That has now dragged on for 2 days and has since had attached to it other ridiculous poisons to discourage anyone from challenging their interpretation.

JP_

Banned
This Dallas police?

The police department that put out a photo of a suspect that wasn't involved, but kept the photo up for almost 24 hours - even though he immediately turned himself in? The PD that told this man they had video of him committing the shooting in an attempt to obtain a false confession?

The PD that ranks No. 3 in Nation for Rate of Fatal Police Shootings

Nonsense.

Then the police shouldn't have been there.

Every social movement in this country's history has been opposed by the police. There has never been a time when people were fighting for justice that there were not police willing to come out and beat the shit out of them. The police are not, and can not be, part of a movement for change because they are the defenders of the status quo.

And that's not an 'attitude' issue with the police. It is literally their job. The police exist to maintain the social order. They are hired to protect and serve the ownership class from the masses. That's why American policing has its origins in slave patrols and union busting.

How can an organization that was formed to combat social justice be part of a movement to help the people?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/albertsamaha/dallas-police-numbers?utm_term=.wnV5zYEazB#.vxGREPNeEW

In 2009, the department received 147 excessive force complaints and made 74,000 arrests. Within three years, arrests were down to 61,000, and within five years excessive force complaints were down to 53.

And in the years since 2012, when police shot 23 people, the number of police shootings has decreased each year, down to 11 in 2015. According to the data, Dallas police officers have shot one person this year.

After a series of officer-involved shootings in late 2013, Brown overhauled the department’s lethal-force policies, including a requirement that officers undergo training every two months instead of every two years. The new policies won him a lot of public criticism from police groups and police advocates. He was even criticized by the Dallas Morning News, which accused him of being “reactive” and “moving too quickly.”

Brown has fired more than 70 Dallas cops since taking office. But he doesn’t just fire bad cops, he also announces the firings — and the reasons for them — on social media. It’s a bold sort of transparency for which, again, he’s been criticized by police groups. Shortly after taking office, Brown fired a police officer who had kicked and maced a handcuffed suspect. But he not only fired the cop, he publicly praised the officer who turned that cop in, an implicit acknowledgment and criticism of the notorious Blue Wall. “One of the things that I really want to express about Officer Upshaw’s action is that we should not as a department ostracize him in any way. We should applaud him coming forward, him intervening,” Brown said.

Since the Ferguson protests in 2014, there has been a lot of reporting about the devastating effects on the poor that come from the aggressive enforcement of traffic infractions and other petty crimes. Brown was ahead of the curve here, too. Between fiscal 2007 and fiscal 2013, the number of traffic tickets issued in Dallas dropped from 495,000 to under 212,000. That’s a massive cut. Brown reassigned traffic patrols to beats he felt were more conducive to public safety

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ing-those-things-could-now-be-more-difficult/

Progress is being made. It's never as quick as is wanted or needed, but it's still worth acknowledging. And if you look at the protest in Dallas vs the protest in Baton Rouge, it's night and day. Dallas had zero riot gear, no tear gas, etc -- they didn't bring in heavy equipment. They didn't surround protesters or drag anybody away. They didn't point guns at anybody or shout orders on a loud speaker. They blocked off streets for the protestors.

I was apprehensive about their presence at first -- my first reaction was like yours, thinking they shouldn't be there with so many cops like that because it's needlessly intimidating (and that was mostly just seeing 10 or so cars around the corner when I was walking to the park). But before there was any shooting, as the march went on, it became clear that my concerns weren't justified. It was clear they were there to help and facilitate the protest.

MogCakes

I was apprehensive about their presence at first -- my first reaction was like yours, thinking they shouldn't be there with so many cops like that because it's needlessly intimidating (and that was mostly just seeing 10 or so cars around the corner when I was walking to the park). But before there was any shooting, as the march went on, it became clear that my concerns weren't justified. It was clear they were there to help and facilitate the protest.
Kame's assertion is that any police involvement in helping a protest is subversion to its goals. Is a protest still purposefully disruptive and effective with police involvement and little to no antagonism between protesters and law enforcement? When the element of aggression is taken out of their communication and they are actually cooperating and the police share their goals, does the protest lose its fangs?

I don't believe so, but after mulling it over for a day and reading the Baton Rouge protest thread, it gives me pause to think about what elements of a protest give it power, and whether, for various people, that entails confrontations with police as representatives of the state.

JP_

Banned
Kame's assertion is that any police involvement in helping a protest is subversion to its goals. Is a protest still purposefully disruptive and effective with police involvement and little to no antagonism between protesters and law enforcement? When the element of aggression is taken out of their communication and they are actually cooperating and the police share their goals, does the protest lose its fangs?

I don't believe so, but after mulling it over for a day and reading the Baton Rouge protest thread, it gives me pause to think about what elements of a protest give it power, and whether, for various people, that entails confrontations with police as representatives of the state.
I think confrontations with the law can increase effectiveness but I don't think it's the only thing that can give a protest effectiveness. And just because the Dallas protest hadn't subverted police doesn't mean it didn't disrupt. We weren't pushed off to the side where it didn't bother anybody -- the protest still shut down a big chunk of downtown streets. How disruptive the protest should be is probably up to the protestors -- the ones in Dallas seemed content with it. I didn't hear anybody complaining or wanting to amp things up and test the limits. There were a lot of families with children there. The vibes were more on the positive side in general. People seemed proud of what they were doing.

I think you could also argue that police cooperation has the potential to amplify the effectiveness. DPD was tweeting about it, posting pics etc -- knowing that doing so could draw more people into the protest.

Mr. X

Police alongside the civilians protesting the same issues is a great thing and I would consider it a big step in the right direction.

The problem is this is one police department in one state. This week others have drew weapons, slowly drove a vehicle into crowds, use tear gas, etc. Instead of standing alongside, they protect the status quo.

pigeon

Banned

I strongly believe this is a terrible and incorrect argument, and you basically set out why in the first paragraph where you struggle to define the difference between this guy, who had in your model legitimate grievances, and the Orlando shooting which happened "for no reason" -- meaning that, although he made claims about motivations, you don't consider them legitimate. This should be a telltale sign that the problem is that claims that mass murderers make about their motivations are, in general, not legitimate. Another tip is that, although their claimed motivations are not that different from the rest of us, their chosen actions are wildly different.

Most BLM protestors, or indeed people of color in general, manage to cope as best they can with the constant pressure of institutionalized racism without becoming mass shooters. So suggesting any sort of causal or practical link between the two is really kind of disturbing and wildly unfair to the great mass of people who live in America and manage somehow to not become maniacs.

The reality is that this guy was cashiered from the military for extreme sexual harassment, a characteristic behavior pattern among future mass shooters. He was blacklisted by the New Black Panthers for mental instability.

The reality is that this guy was crazy -- not in the "had a mental disorder" way that people think of (I have one), but in the sense of having a brittle self-image, impulse control problems, a tendency towards violence and sexual aggressiveness, and all the other factors common to all mass shooters that we don't consider mental disorders and so don't attempt to identify and correct.

Once you have those characteristics, you are pretty likely to engage in violent behavior. You'll probably come up with a reason why you want to do the stuff you want to do, but that reason is not the proximate cause. It's just a justification for taking the actions you wanted to take.

So associating this guy with any sort of reasonable response to institutional racism does him far too much credit and the rest of us too little. He was a violent murderer and he chose BLM as an identity. But BLM -- or the forces that inspire BLM -- didn't make him a violent murderer. He was that already.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
America: "Our police are so incompetent, it takes two officers in riot gear to arrest one unarmed woman"

Has she been released?

Maybe the officers present were all in riot gear and it seemed silly to first change into something less tactical and more pedestrian before making the arrest?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

Rudy saying BLM is racist is him implying BLM doesn't want equality but to switch places or take something away from whites.
Except making the decision to take another's life is switching places on the seesaw. When Johnson pulled the trigger he held all of the power in the world over those officers' lives. So, if being racist requires some sort of power imbalance on behalf of the perpetrator, then that box is certainly checked in this instance.

Dr.Acula

Banned
So what happened to those reports of accomplices being arrested? People throwing bags into cars and speeding away, etc?

It seems like the US is desperate to make these shooting incidents out to be some kind of well organised, co-ordinated attack, when it almost always ends up being some "lone-wolf," with "psychological issues." He was discharged and never given proper counseling, and had no issues getting guns. I keep hearing this story again and again. Someone isolated, someone people just wanted to ignore, and the common denominator is ease of access to weapons.

The issue is that gun control probably couldn't prevent a well-funded international terrorist group from smuggling in weapons for the purpose of an attack, but gun control might prevent incidents like this.

It really seems like the spectre of terrorism is being used as some kind of external, unsolvable boogeyman, because otherwise, politicians might be forced to do something about domestic mass shootings.

(I know this counts as domestic terrorism, it's just that terrorism as something perpetuated by a group over a long period of time in order to achieve political goals is different than a individual going on a suicidal spree. Traditionally, I think of domestic terrorism as something like what the FLQ or IRA did.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom