• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SMT x Fire Emblem and Monolith Software's X coming to NA/EU

Eusis

It was only in an E3 press kit, not even in any compilation trailers.
Yeah, more focus was put on X this time, so while it's still possible (wasn't Disaster given an official page afterall?) it's far less likely, especially as they'll look at Xenoblade's seeming success versus half guessing at how it may be received.

Hiltz

This is indeed a good sign. X should have a better chance of coming out since Xenoblade Chronicles sold better overseas than it did in Japan. Hopefully, we won't have to wait a year for its localization.

VariantX

Hopefully by the time X comes out, there will be a halfway decent library for the system digital and retail. I'll definately buy a Wii U if that's the case.

Nairume

Banned
Not really surprised about the SMTxFE announcement.

From what I recall, we've only missed out on three MegaTen games in the past decade, and two of those were ports of old games on the PSP.

Eusis

This is indeed a good sign. X should have a better chance of coming out since Xenoblade Chronicles sold better overseas than it did in Japan. Hopefully, we won't have to wait a year for its localization.
Confirmation? Not that it's a huge surprise, it seemed like the kind of RPG that'd be more appealing to Western players than most JRPGs, certainly moreso than a lot of what others DO localize, yet Nintendo just kinda sat on it. At least Last Story had the excuse of kind of coming off as a B grade JRPG/action game anyway.
Not really surprised about the SMTxFE announcement.

From what I recall, we've only missed out on three MegaTen games in the past decade, and two of those were ports of old games on the PSP.
Refresh my memory: what was the other again? SMT:Nine? Think that was pre-Nocturne too.

And from my understanding Devil Summoner was more or less a straight Saturn port, even with frames. If they made a similar effort as they did for Soul Hackers I bet we'd have seen it. EP meanwhile will forever remain a mystery, not unless in 5-10 years some guy over in Japan just goes "Well blah blah blah."

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
tch Xenoblade curbstomps FE:A.

More hyped for X than anything so far. Only ones in the running are Bayonetta 2 and TW101 doe.

Oh yeah, forgot about them. I still need to buy Xenoblade, but them prices ;_;

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I had no doubt both were coming, I mean they showed them at the English Wii U ND.

ohlawd

lol the thing is we don't even know what's happening with SMT x FE.

It could end up as a fighting game >_>
oh god no please don't be a fighter.

Astra

My Wii U purchase is justified more and more. Though I could have waited several months before buying one, but that's besides the point!

lol the thing is we don't even know what's happening with SMT x FE.

It could end up as a fighting game >_>
oh god no please don't be a fighter.

I agree with your sentiment. I could see it likely being an SRPG.

Nairume

Banned
Refresh my memory: what was the other again? SMT:Nine? Think that was pre-Nocturne too.
Messiarizer. Came out just a couple weeks after the US release of Nocturne and is thus the only new MegaTen game released since then that hasn't been released in the US.

And from my understanding Devil Summoner was more or less a straight Saturn port, even with frames. If they made a similar effort as they did for Soul Hackers I bet we'd have seen it. EP meanwhile will forever remain a mystery, not unless in 5-10 years some guy over in Japan just goes "Well blah blah blah."
I don't think EP PSP not getting released here is all that much of a mystery. Atlus waited a bit too long to release it and then realized that they didn't want to risk releasing PSP games in the US anymore.

Minions

I feel like all the hype for X is going to lead to it's downfall. Xenoblade was amazing, however I fear for the game being torn to shreds based on hype surrounding it. Everyone is making it out to be the savior of the Wii-u.

Does anyone actually remember the E3 that Xenoblade was "announced" at? It wasn't at the actual conference, it was in the press kit with a couple of pictures. A very far cry from X's headlining, fanfared appearance at the Nintendo Direct. People bringing Xenoblade's announcement up are completely off the mark.

Chrom

Yeah, Index had confirmed a while ago that the game's going to be some sort of RPG. That's really all that's known at the moment.

aw, I wanted two years of controversy that would lead to an internet "operation"

Good news! Can't wait to play X. I probably buy a Wii U the day that game comes out. SMT x FE seems kind of stupid in theory but I need to see some actual footage of the game before laughing it off.

Nairume

Banned
Does anyone actually remember the E3 that Xenoblade was "announced" at? It wasn't at the actual conference, it was in the press kit with a couple of pictures. A very far cry from X's headlining, fanfared appearance at the Nintendo Direct. People bringing Xenoblade's announcement up are completely off the mark.

It briefly popped up in their conference demo reel.

Eusis

Messiarizer. Came out just a couple weeks after the US release of Nocturne and is thus the only new MegaTen game released since then that hasn't been released in the US.

I don't think EP PSP not getting released here is all that much of a mystery. Atlus waited a bit too long to release it and then realized that they didn't want to risk releasing PSP games in the US anymore.
Well, that's the sane guess, but then it sounds like something actively blocked release with "mysterious reasons" in Nich's PS Blog post... except even THAT was changed from something else and no one can seemingly elaborate on it. Perhaps some SCEA policy still hanging around somehow got set off, or the post was changed by Atlus and had to deal with weird programming or license issues they don't really want others to know about. In any case I got the impression they WANTED to release it, but in the end had to go for the last resort of the PS1 game on PSN.
I feel like all the hype for X is going to lead to it's downfall. Xenoblade was amazing, however I fear for the game being torn to shreds based on hype surrounding it. Everyone is making it out to be the savior of the Wii-u.
That's the story of every hyped up game though. Plus Xenoblade was in a worse position because we were going off the promises of a big open world JRPG, whereas X will be working within the framework of our Xenoblade experience.

ohlawd

If X is at least half as good as Xenoblade was, it'd be my savior.

Eusis

So Nintendo had to get a Japanese NoA CEO in order to finally prioritize translating their games?
Nah, they heavily implied they were going to get these games brought over here anyway, it's just good to see them basically going "yes we still plan to."

Though I kinda like to imagine Iwata saw the VC lineup and decided to take direct control as a response to that.

vall03

Will we even get the games this year? Im waiting for more info in SMTxFire Emblem before I get a WiiU. Also can't wait on whatever they will show in E3.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Pretty sure they can't afford to NOT localize every piece of software they have.

Beth Cyra

Will we even get the games this year? Im waiting for more info in SMTxFire Emblem before I get a WiiU. Also can't wait on whatever they will show in E3.

Given X's size and Scope, no chance.

It would be more possible for SMT, but it is an Atlus console Production and we haven't seen anything so it's unlikely this will have a first showing and then a quick release.

Eusis

Pretty sure they can't afford to NOT localize every piece of software they have.
You say that, then a few years later we see some weird obscure thing pointed out that wasn't localized, and everyone forgets said obscure thing ever got skipped anyway. Though I do think they realize they can't just ignore X this time, and Atlus would be displeased if SMTxFE were blocked from release as they kinda bank on SMT far more than Tecmo did Fatal Frame.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
After Project X Zone, my default expectation is for most games to be localized.

(I know that wasn't Nintendo's doing, but to me that makes it even more of a big deal.)

Hiltz

Confirmation? Not that it's a huge surprise, it seemed like the kind of RPG that'd be more appealing to Western players than most JRPGs, certainly moreso than a lot of what others DO localize, yet Nintendo just kinda sat on it. At least Last Story had the excuse of kind of coming off as a B grade JRPG/action game anyway.

Reggie briefly discussed Xenoblade's reception overseas 7 months after the title came out in North America :

We needed to make sure that there was really an opportunity for it. We wanted to see how it would sell in Europe, and based on the performance in Europe, we would look to bring it here to the U.S. It did well in Europe; we decided to bring it in here. We took a very smart approach and we sold it ourselves online in terms of physical goods as well as a focus on GameStop as a retailer, and it was a very good effort for us. (It sold) Quite well.

http://kotaku.com/5947861/its-time-for-japanese-developers-to-stop-hoarding-their-rpgs

As for Japan, Xenoblade sold a mere 83k copies in its first week of release according to the software charts. Six months later, it had only sold a total of 161k copies. It was the 8th best selling Wii title of the year.

Thorakai

I hope they capitalize on FE X SMT, there is a lot of different directions you could take such a game. Hope they deliver on a product that blows everyones mind.

Eusis

After Project X Zone, my default expectation is for most games to be localized.

(I know that wasn't Nintendo's doing, but to me that makes it even more of a big deal.)
Eh, I think it's company by company. I'm kind of expecting Namco to localize anything that isn't a second rate Tales port now (and we still got TotA, though that required no significant new localization), but SE's still in their weird fucking state. Best hope is that their financial situation makes them re-evaluate localizing more of their games again, and it'll probably help once FFXIV's out of the way, but skipping each of those DQ games (so far) and throwing Bravely Default to Nintendo is NOT reassuring. So far SE really does seem to want to be Eidos-with-FF/KH outside of Japan.

Top Bottom