• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SMT x Fire Emblem and Monolith Software's X coming to NA/EU

Ccmdh.gif
Great first post. That's exactly what I said in my head when I read the thread title.

Nice to get some confirmation, given NoA's track record with previous JRPG releases on the Wii. I take it, then, that they were pleased with Xenoblade's performance in the west? How well did it sell, anyway?

It may not be surprising news these two games are confirmed to head west, but it still gives me a big sigh of relief. I only hope we don't wait 3 years for them to see a release since Monado (before it was changed to Xenoblade Chronicles) was announced at E3 2009 yet saw a NA release in 2012.

Beth Cyra

After the BS that went down with Xenoblade, The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower it's better to confirm it as many times as possible/needed.

I can totally agree with this. However a .pdf on their website shouldn't be taken any more seriously then NA Trailers for the games.

Hiltz

Nice to get some confirmation, given NoA's track record with previous JRPG releases on the Wii. I take it, then, that they were pleased with Xenoblade's performance in the west? How well did it sell, anyway?

Nintendo hasn't given us any sales numbers, but given Reggie's pleased sales performance for the game's limited marketing strategy for North America , then I would think it likely sold somewhere between 400-600k copies.

I hope they capitalize on FE X SMT, there is a lot of different directions you could take such a game. Hope they deliver on a product that blows everyones mind.

I'm not familar with either of those franchises, but I know Fire Emblem takes place in a medieval fantasy setting. Are the Shin Megami titles consistent in terms of its settings ?

Eusis

It's a crossover game so I would not expect it to be very good.
The best we can probably hope for are good character interactions... except that'd probably be more likely if this were a PERSONA game rather than a SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI game, with only mainline entry characters shown thus implying just those games.

Though I guess unlike some other crossovers the mythology angles SMT typically uses may well give a relatively reasonable explanation for FE characters to show up. The reverse, probably not so much.

I'm not familar with either of those franchises, but I know Fire Emblem takes place in a medieval fantasy setting. Are the Shin Megami titles consistent in terms of its settings ?

Well, SMT1 takes place in 90s Toyko, but then it's a nuclear wasteland, then SMT2 takes place in the future, and if... is mostly in the demon world, and SMT3 is in a giant zen garden... Parts of SMT4 could fit into Fire Emblem just fine though.

The best we can probably hope for are good character interactions...

over half the SMT characters they showed literally have no personality :D

Nairume

Banned
The best we can probably hope for are good character interactions... except that'd probably be more likely if this were a PERSONA game rather than a SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI game, with only mainline entry characters shown thus implying just those games.

Though I guess unlike some other crossovers the mythology angles SMT typically uses may well give a relatively reasonable explanation for FE characters to show up. The reverse, probably not so much.
SMT also has the whole multiverse thing Nocturne established that could easily be utilized for crossover purposes.

Hiltz

Well, SMT1 takes place in 90s Toyko, but then it's a nuclear wasteland, then SMT2 takes place in the future, and if... is mostly in the demon world, and SMT3 is in a giant zen garden... Parts of SMT4 could fit into Fire Emblem just fine though.

Oh, so it sounds like the SMT's setting seems pretty adaptable then. It's a shame to hear about the characters lacking personality. Apparently, Fire Emblem does that better, at least with Awakening as far as I'm aware of.

Oh, so it sounds like the SMT's setting seems pretty adaptable then.

Between stuff presented in SMT3 and stuff presented in Fire Emblem Awakening (available now for your Nintendo 3DS), they have more than enough to justify whatever ridiculous bullshit they come up with.

-Horizon-

Will there be supports and waifus like in FE Awakening? This is important in determining whether this game will be amazing or just good

Glad to hear additional confirmation.

I don't give a damn about whatever stilly story they come up with to justify the cross-over, as long as the gameplay is good (which I have no reason to doubt).

Also, I'm not the biggest Awakening fan, but Owain is pretty much made for cross-over nonsense.

CSX

SO basically double confirmation?

It be so sad if they fuck up SMTxFE gameplay wise. You cant possible go wrong lol

I don't think EP PSP not getting released here is all that much of a mystery. Atlus waited a bit too long to release it and then realized that they didn't want to risk releasing PSP games in the US anymore.

It was also hinted at (in a few places, but most notably on the last Retronauts) that the Japanese version had coding problems which got in the way of a potential localization effort, and they presumably didn't think it was worth the cost to fix at such a late date, with PSP games already basically dead.

Regardless, especially given Atlus USA's overall track record (and the fact that they went out of their way to put the PS1 EP on PSN as an apology) they're the niche company I trust far and away the most to take care of their fans on this stuff.

SE's still in their weird fucking state. Best hope is that their financial situation makes them re-evaluate localizing more of their games again, and it'll probably help once FFXIV's out of the way, but skipping each of those DQ games (so far) and throwing Bravely Default to Nintendo is NOT reassuring.

The only hint that SE had ever been a Japanese developer at their massive PAX East booth was a single license plate frame at the merch table reading "my other car is a chocobo." I think between their all-in Western strategy with Eidos and the general fuckwittery emanating from Square-Enix Japan proper, it is safe to assume that almost nothing originating from Japan is going to get localized anymore.

Midou

Fire Emblem universe can be part of some digital world within SMT universe, that would be a way to put SMT into FE. :p

cj_iwakura

I'm as bitter over EP PSP as anyone, but putting the PS1 version on PSN was a nice compromise.

Sadly, the total lack of discussion over that release shows that they probably had the right idea in not localizing EP PSP.

Eusis

And therein lies the problem versus Persona! And the other half don't really have the kinds of personalities that'd make crossover interactions interesting anyway.
The only hint that SE had ever been a Japanese developer at their massive PAX East booth was a single license plate frame at the merch table reading "my other car is a chocobo." I think between their all-in Western strategy with Eidos and the general fuckwittery emanating from Square-Enix Japan proper, it is safe to assume that almost nothing originating from Japan is going to get localized anymore.
Well, the silver lining does seem to be that as a lot of their staff ARE tied up with FFXIV that they'll start making their own games once that's wrapped up, and it wasn't like there was much from the Japan side to be localized outside of Bravely Default and DQ staff for the last year-ish anyway (and most of that other stuff DID get localized.) Nevertheless they're on track to continue the slide I've observed int he PS2 days; in the PS1 days I was just a dumb fanboy of the SNES stuff so I felt they "got worse" on the PS1, but then on PS2 when I wisened up some I noticed their original IPs (and general IP diversity) was winding down, then last generation they were mostly on handhelds (albeit bringing forth some original IP again at least) with the console efforts being a mixed bag at best.

Now? Now I'm just glad Nintendo stepped in for Bravely Default. Probably the worst set of mergers on the Japanese side of gaming. :/ It's going to take a miracle at this point to get back to where they were last gen, nevermind their glory days.

I thought the game's presence in the NA/EU Nintendo Direct was already confirmation of that fact.

I'm not sure why things have to be so direct for people to get it. I mean, I understand that being official is good and all, but I thought the US nintendo direct was about as official as it could get.

Galang

Banned
Yay. While I was kinda expecting it due to them being in NA/EU directs.. you never really know with Nintendo. So nice to see a confirmation

I think between their all-in Western strategy with Eidos and the general fuckwittery emanating from Square-Enix Japan proper, it is safe to assume that almost nothing originating from Japan is going to get localized anymore.

fuckwittery?

This is good news, we should hope for more localizations.

Not surprised in the least to hear that X is coming to NA. The reveal generated a good deal of buzz when it was revealed. Don't think Nintendo can really afford to just not release games, anyway.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

It's worse than that really; they aren't making stuff anymore which is even worth localizing. Their Japanese production has gone off a cliff in the past three years on consoles and handhelds.

I was worried we wouldn't get SMTxFE or it would be a significant amount of time before it showed up, but yes! Good times! Also glad to see X is coming to NA and won't have to have a hard push by fans to get it localized.

0hC3VkB.gif

Eh, I think it's company by company. I'm kind of expecting Namco to localize anything that isn't a second rate Tales port now (and we still got TotA, though that required no significant new localization), but SE's still in their weird fucking state. Best hope is that their financial situation makes them re-evaluate localizing more of their games again, and it'll probably help once FFXIV's out of the way, but skipping each of those DQ games (so far) and throwing Bravely Default to Nintendo is NOT reassuring. So far SE really does seem to want to be Eidos-with-FF/KH outside of Japan.

They can't even manage to do that right.

Drago

This doesn't surprise me, I never expected them to not release here. Not after Xenoblade and Iwata now at NoA.

As an aside, seriously why are Bravely Default and Layton 6 2013 in Europe and 2014 in NA? What could possibly stop them from getting simultaneous launches?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Still no news about DQ7R though. :/

To be fair it's still real early on this one. I wouldn't expect it to be announced until later in the year at the earliest and it definitely won't release until 2014.

If not for Joker 2 though we'd probably have Terry's Wonderland by now.

randomkid

It was also hinted at (in a few places, but most notably on the last Retronauts) that the Japanese version had coding problems which got in the way of a potential localization effort, and they presumably didn't think it was worth the cost to fix at such a late date, with PSP games already basically dead.

No real indication at all that it wasn't worth the cost to them though, all we know for sure is that somehow fear of low sales on the dead-ass PSP was not a factor.

I wonder if Nintendo's gonna pick up Fantasy Life or DQ7 first. I guess it's possible Namco will do Fantasy Life though.

Top Bottom