• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SMT x Fire Emblem and Monolith Software's X coming to NA/EU

AGITΩ;55364552 said:
Awesome, no need for Operation Rainfall anymore.

The Wii U is in no position to have games needing a movement for localisation. It needs to get every title it can in as many regions as possible.

CqVa8dV.png

Eusis

It's worse than that really; they aren't making stuff anymore which is even worth localizing. Their Japanese production has gone off a cliff in the past three years on consoles and handhelds.
This IS why the FFXIV-panic-mode means there may be a silver lining: the original FFXIV came out in 2010, and since then they've been desperately re-developing the game. Maybe once that's out of the way they can get back to SOMETHING resembling at least their last-handheld-gen output, even if consoles get next to nothing still.

And it DOES seem a lot of these Japanese companies are having serious second thoughts about plunging full on into western AAA, if each of those recent big games were AT LEAST doing the numbers they had hoped for to be profitable enough I'd have no hopes.
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they just got hit with shitty timing and once they port to anything that's relevant we'll see it. Problem being they seem to have cold feet on where to throw it or if they'll even do so.

Beth Cyra

This is a vote of confidence towards whatever SMTxFE ends up being. I doubt we'd be hearing about a sure thing localization if it was going to be a visual novel/dating sim for fans to hook up their dream pairings from across the universes.

We haven't. Again, remember this is only a .PDF of up coming games. Iwata did not talk about this and say for sure this is coming over or anything of the like during the meeting.

Also given Atlus is developing it and how good they are at pleasing their audience it's very likely they would step up if Nintendo did not.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
all in the past.

while not quite up to historical standards FE 11-12 have some downright diabolical difficulties far harder than anything SMT has ever done. Awakening would be on nearly the same level but it has systems in place to make maximizing character potential the norm and not the exception.

That being said there is nothing in SMT anywhere near as punitive as Reverse Lunatic.

Here is the translation from the pdf:

Nintendo pdf's North America WiiU Release Section said:
Game & Wario -- 6/23
Pikmin 3 -- 8/4
The Wonderful 101 -- Summer 2013
Wii Fit U -- Summer 2013
New Wii Party Title -- Summer 2013
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker -- Fall 2013
Yoshi's Epic Yarn (tentative title) -- TBA
Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem -- TBA
New Legend of Zelda Title -- TBA
New Super Smash Bros. Title -- TBA
Bayonetta 2 -- TBA
New Mario Kart Title -- TBA
Untitled Monolithsoft Title -- TBA
New 3D Mario Title -- TBA

randomkid

Haha, if the whole game is just my favorite demons murdering optimistic Fire Emblem characters I feel like this will be something I'll really be able to get behind!

I sure hope this game isn't out until like, late next year at the earliest. 3 games in less than five months plus my need to beat SMT2 first is TOO MUCH MEGATEN and I can't believe I'm saying that.

while not quite up to historical standards FE 11-12 have some downright diabolical difficulties far harder than anything SMT has ever done. Awakening would be on nearly the same level but it has systems in place to make maximizing character potential the norm and not the exception.

That being said there is nothing in SMT anywhere near as punitive as Reverse Lunatic.

talking about awakening here, which is pretty mild even on hard. but you'll have to evaluate normal modes first and go from there anyway. everyone can make a game hard with zero effort in balance.

Vinnk

Good to hear. I know it was at a Nintendo Direct, but with Nintendo I can see why some remained skeptical. A few examples:

Giftpia was announced for the US and there were screen shots of the English version but it never came out.

Disaster Day of Crisis was announced at E3 and never hit US shores.

Xenoblade was announced in a US press kit at E3 and was eventually reluctantly released by Nintendo as a Gamestop and Nintendo Store exclusive.

There are other examples. So the paranoia is at least partly justified.

To be fair it's still real early on this one. I wouldn't expect it to be announced until later in the year at the earliest and it definitely won't release until 2014.

Yeah, one of the symptoms of our backslide into PS1-era localization stats is that we start expecting games to get announced eight months after they come out in Japan instead of released. :/

No real indication at all that it wasn't worth the cost to them though, all we know for sure is that somehow fear of low sales on the dead-ass PSP was not a factor.

The one follows from the other. You have a game with a programming issue that gets in the way of localization, the way to solve that is to spend money (i.e. programmer time) fixing it. The problem gets big enough, the money starts being prohibitive.

Hero

At least now trolls can't stop with the "lol they didn't even bring Xenoblade over in a timely fashion" even though it should've been fairly obvious they were coming.

Eusis

bombas of the century
The bomba of the century will be a game we don't know exists until we see it went to $20 the day after release and had the budget of GTAIV. Nevermind the good sales Xenoblade and Fire Emblem already had, it'd probably do better financially than a lot of AAA games that we've been seeing...

Broach

Banned
The bomba of the century will be a game we don't know exists until we see it went to $20 the day after release and had the budget of GTAIV. Nevermind the good sales Xenoblade and Fire Emblem already had, it'd probably do better financially than a lot of AAA games that we've been seeing...

But it's on the Wii U

GetemMa

YES!

honestly, since they announced them on a NA Nintendo Direct, I assumed they were.

What I really want to hear is that we won't be waiting a year after the Japanese to play them.

jwhit28

There better be a trailer with some SMTxFE gameplay footage in a Nintendo Direct soon. I also hope this doesn't stop IS from working on a legit follow up to Advance Wars or FE: Awakening. 3 Fire Emblems for 3DS please.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'm hoping this game will use a tactics style of Fire Emblem with each unit holding a squad of demons which duke it out a-la The Last Remnant combat style. Man... I can dream lol.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Why would Iwata go through with the Nintendo Direct in broken Engrish to tell us about a game he would not release in the West?

Soriku

I'm hoping this game will use a tactics style of Fire Emblem with each unit holding a squad of demons which duke it out a-la The Last Remnant combat style. Man... I can dream lol.

IDK about TLR combat but have you played Devil Survivor?

Top Bottom