• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Target shipped someone an Xbox One already? [Update: console-banned until launch]

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Huh? I don't understand your post.

It's sort of like noise cancelation. Kinect knows exactly what Xbox is playing out the speakers so it does calculations to make sure that any sound coming out of an xbox isn't picked up as a command.

I remember them talking about integrating head tracking and figuring out who's speaking in the room. I wonder if he (the guy in the room) was in frame when Kinect picked up his friend's voice over Skype.

screenshot2013-11-090grx9m.png

For what reason? I mean honestly how.

Valnen

As for NDA's, he hasn't signed any so in that respect he can do what he wants.
Also if MS bans him for getting people hyped about their console, they deserve all the shit that would fly in their direction on this guys behalf.

Would anyone really care? They've banned so many people for playing legitimately obtained games early. Wasn't the most recent case of that Halo 4? Yet people didn't sell off their 360's when that happened. I get the feeling people would yell for a few days on the internet and then nobody would care anymore if this guy got banned.

hawk2025

Yep.

Kinect ignores sound coming from your Xbox, including chat and skype.

It will pick up sound coming from your room as well as any separate devices in that room, including skype on a MacBook.

Aaahh, so perhaps it understands that the sound bring outputted is the same as what's being heard and ignores that.

Got it, neat!

Mr Moose

Engineering something well won't prevent it from failing. Someone in an earlier post even said their power supply blew out due to a surge (even with surge suppressors/protectors it can still happen) and the same thing happened to their friend with a 360. It just makes more sense. But based on your comment it looks like haters gon' hate.

Please use the Quote link so people know who you are replying to. It's under the users name to the left.

Unless you are just speaking in general, then ignore me lol.

Cragvis

@ people wondering why the brick is external.

It makes more sense for the consumer. Internal power supplies are not consumer replaceable. So when it dies (when not if) you *need* to send it back to them for repair. OTOH external bricks can be had for a cheap price and replaced easily. In that respect Microsoft cares a little more for the consumer.

In my over 30 years of gaming, never have I once had a powerbrick die on me.

In my PC. Sure, once, but those are designed to not only be replaceable, but also you have the choice of what brand to use. I probably had a very bad brand in that once pc 10 years ago where it went bad.

Console wise, never for me. colecovision, 2600, nes, snes, genesis, master system, jaguar, ps1, ps2, ps3. Never had a brick die on me ever. Maybe I am just very very lucky.

Kinect ignores that. He was on Skype on his computer, not on his Xbox.
Oh, I assumed he was skyping on the XBox One. Makes sense. So if some little shit is getting tired of me kicking his ass and asks for for my phone number then tells me to put him on speaker phone, I should unplug my kinect and enjoy the $1.27 a year savings instead?

Don't answer, it's Friday night, I may have been drinking

Cartman86

Banned
For what reason? I mean honestly how.

Youtube complies with pretty much all take down notices. Especially from huge corporations like Microsoft. They pretty much have to with the way course cases have gone. They will look into the specifics and decide if they are in their right to put it back up. The damage is already done usually though. Microsoft just wants this stuff delayed as long as possible It's why contacting a lawyer to defend yourself is kind of useless too. It won't be solved by the time it comes out and by then Microsoft will have accomplished what they needed.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Without even looking I bet some people are trying to narc on him via Twitter. Now to check.

edit: wow I don't see anyone. Good!

Aaahh, so perhaps it understands that the sound bring outputted is the same as what's being heard and ignores that.

Got it, neat!

They talked about that a lot at the reveal and showed the attendees demos of what Kinect hears before and after it strips out the noise. It has to do that so that it can hear you talking.

Mr Moose

How does that matter?

A sound source can be someone else in the room, or a surround sound system. Unless voice chat will never come out from back speakers?

From today's UI video, I was under the impression that only people that have signed in could issue voice commands.

I think a dev was getting annoyed because of people shouting Xbox Off through the PA system while they were working on it. Not sure if I made this up, but I think it's real lol.

Allforce

I asked him to go to Settings and see how much storage is available out of the box, I gotta know how much those 3 OS's take up.

hwy_61

Banned
Anybody think he's going to talk about FPS? He doesn't seem too saavy on the tech so far. I mean, he didn't even know what the ethernet port was.

Youtube complies with pretty much all take down notices. Especially form huge corporations like Microsoft. They pretty much have to with the way course cases have gone. They will look into the specifics and decide if they are in their right to put it back up. The damage is already done usually though. Microsoft just wants this stuff delayed as long as possible It's why contacting a lawyer to defend yourself is kind of useless too. It won't be solved by the time it comes out and by then Microsoft will have accomplished what they needed.

That is horribly stupid, but thanks for the explanation.

hipbabboom

In my over 30 years of gaming, never have I once had a powerbrick die on me.

In my PC. Sure, once, but those are designed to not only be replaceable, but also you have the choice of what brand to use. I probably had a very bad brand in that once pc 10 years ago where it went bad.

Console wise, never for me. colecovision, 2600, nes, snes, genesis, master system, jaguar, ps1, ps2, ps3. Never had a brick die on me ever. Maybe I am just very very lucky.

They can die if you're not surge protected. It also move a heat source out of the box making for a more quiet fan (since it doesn't spin as fast to remove the extra heat).

Cragvis

They can die if you're not surge protected. It also move a heat source out of the box making for a more quiet fan (since it doesn't spin as fast to remove the extra heat).

Ironically, the one power supply in that PC of mine that did die, was plugged into a surge protector. No others ever were lol.

An Xbox Ambassador/Enforcement Team member (whatever that is) is trying to tell him that he is bound to the embargo. Wonder if he/she is speaking for Microsoft or just doing it on his or her own?

I believe they're like Playstation MVPs (I'm an MVP for the sake of disclosure)?

If they are, then they're doing it on their own. Not a Microsoft rep, just like I'm not a Sony rep.

Oozer3993

Would anyone really care? They've banned so many people for playing legitimately obtained games early. Wasn't the most recent case of that Halo 4? Yet people didn't sell off their 360's when that happened. I get the feeling people would yell for a few days on the internet and then nobody would care anymore if this guy got banned.

It is Microsoft policy NOT to ban anyone playing early who obtained their copies legally. That has always been their policy. There have been a very small number of cases where people obtained games extremely early and had their accounts banned automatically. Any that sent proof to MS they had legally purchased the game were immediately reinstated, before the game came out.

SRTtoZ

Anybody think he's going to talk about FPS? He doesn't seem to saavy on the tech so far. I mean, he didn't even know what the ethernet port was.

This is what im worried about. He doesnt seem to have been following anything going on lately so I'm not sure if he will even talk about it, or even be accurate.

rjinaz

I believe they're like Playstation MVPs (I'm an MVP for the sake of disclosure)?

If they are, then they're doing it on their own. Not a Microsoft rep, just like I'm not a Sony rep.

I thought so but I wasn't sure. Enforcement Team member seemed like maybe an actual job but I am clueless about it.

Derpcrawler

If it's Enforcement Team they are responsible for bans and moderation and are directly hired by MSFT. Need source on that tweet, if it's Ambassador - nothing to worry about, they are just MVPs.

hipbabboom

Ironically, the one power supply in that PC of mine that did die, was plugged into a surge protector. No others ever were lol.

I have had three power supplies die on one PC. Each power supply was 80-85% Eff. Gold rated between $130 and $230. First two was using a really good surge strip and the other two were backed by an APC 1350 UPS backed by the really good surge strip. Moral of the story is that PC power supplies suck and so do ASUS mother boards with bad power regulators.

0xCA2

COD Ghosts auto-installs upon being put in the drive. Can't play otherwise. (Progress bottom right)
83b82bf699c12d9dd8d4389fd4dd6eee.png

Wonder if you can turn auto-install off?

BraXzy

I really can't get used to the idea of the new case layout. Seriously, pick up any game case you have now and flip it round, it's WEIRD

D:

Justin

He's not a member of the press though, is he? If he's just an average Target customer that got his delivery early, an embargo doesn't mean shit.

Sony does this too. They were claiming copyright infringement on people posting Two Souls walkthroughs the weekend before it released.

I thought so but I wasn't sure. Enforcement Team member seemed like maybe an actual job but I am clueless about it.

If it's Enforcement Team they are responsible for bans and moderation and are directly hired by MSFT. Need source on that tweet, if it's Ambassador - nothing to worry about, they are just MVPs.

Thanks for the clarification, my bad. Thought they were the same.

But yeah who knows. You'd think they'd have Nelson or Penello talk to him first

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Bryan Nash ‏@For_IAmBecome 1m

@Moonlightswami Can you tell how much hard drive space is used by the 3 OS' and how much is left?

You know, Twitter reminds me how weird the info gets twisted out there to the casuals.

Top Bottom