• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony refused cross platform play in Minecraft

IF there was conditions, you think Sony and Nintendo would be offered the same deal?

Sony and MS look at Nintendo as a companion console to theirs, I think they would be more lenient.

Now you're just making absurd assumptions. We don't even know if any conditions needed to be accepted at all, much less that Sony's conditions would be different than Nintendo's.

zMiiChy-

Banned
Yikes, they better at least prepare a bullshit excuse for themselves soon.

This issue isn't going to go quietly, and matters like these make me ashamed to be so invested towards the Playstation ecosystem.

Bluenoser

Jesuuuuuuuuuuuus some people are willing to spin so much as not to just concede this is Sony's fault.

The precedent affects a lot more than just Minecraft, plenty of reasons for people to be pissed. This is why Tekken 7 isn't cross play.

Are Sony not the ones that were championed for cross platform play with Rocket League, and Xbox had to play catch up? Not sure what changed. Is it xplay with Xbox that's the problem, or in general... FFXIV still going strong too.

Well, I hadn't been in the thread up to now, but which of my 6 Minecraft purchases would you like more information about?

Playing devils advocate, but you seem to be pretty content with the game already, which kind of proves the point that cross play with PS4 doesn't seem to be a make or break feature, at least for you.

But on a larger scale, I agree that this looks like it could become problematic if the trend continues. I'd really like to know the reasons behind it.

Busaiku

It's not that I agree with it, it's just that Sony is the only one who loses out in this situation. Gamers benefit, MS benefits, Nintendo benefits, Apple benefits. Sony loses a competitive advantage.
Apple benefits, but Sony loses a competitive advantage?
How does this work.

FZW

For the record, we don't know if there were conditions on the deal that PlayStation refuted.
yea sure... i am not making excuses for these companies. They dont pay me enough. If Nintendo can do it, Sony sure as hell need to find a way to get it done.

Didn't they say at some point it was a security issue for them? But yeah, not surprising.

oh NOW they care about security

Calm Mind

Nintendo just launched a new console and needs every leg up it can get. They have an uphill battle with third parties and securing Minecraft and allowing Crossplay benefits them substantially.

Sony? Not so much. They are the market leader, chances are if you own a PS4 and own Minecraft, you play with other people on PS4, most of your friends also own PS4, etc.

But you know, arrogant Sony and all that.

BOI

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Whatever "conditions" existed Nintendo seemingly doesn't mind them. Stop making excuses for Sony people

Nintendo doesn't know what the hell they're doing when it comes to online. It wouldn't surprise me if they unknowingly signed their rights away in the clause and have to pay MS 50% of their online revenue for the next twenty years.

13ruce

Banned
This. These companies exist to make money, why help out your competitors?

Because it can mean more Minecraft copies sold on their consoles wich means more money from those cuts. Now people might even avoid buying Minecraft on ps4 and buy it somewhere else.

This deal/decision to accept it would not hurt them in any financial way. And even benefit them that's why it makes no sense.

Sony be like oh no my pride over a positive business decision.

They probably even think ha MS take that we don't care! We are the Market leader anyway lulz.
Yeah. Microsoft are anti-consumer when they get third party exclusives, but Sony refusing cross platform networking is ~just business~

GAF can be super transparent at times

Calm Mind

giphy.gif

They loose by not having cross platform play. Now PS4's Minecraft is worth less than Minecraft on other platforms, so when you make the decision on where to but this game, you need to take this into account.

I don't understand what they'd loose if allowing cross play.
It doesn't exist in a silo. If they allow Minecraft, other devs ask why they don't get the same treatment. If they are going to have a shitty policy, at least make it a standard

I expect they will loosen these restrictions when the generation changes over and the userbase resets

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Strange that Sony is hung up on this. Should have been an obvious yes. Just makes their version look inferior

olag

This is probably the 4th time something like this has come out and its starting to make sony look really bad. They really need to get their act together on cross platform games.

Although in this situation Im curious to see what the issue is. Nintendo partnering with Microsoft was a no brainer for them but it Im more curious to see what the deal between Microsoft and sony woul have looked like.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
That has no connection to what he's saying...

Believe his point was that the issues that are going to "sink" arrogant Sony on GAF aren't issues that matter to the large scale general public.

For Sony they probably came to the decision its not worth it, once you enable it for one game people will ask for it on everything, and some overused, unfunny and unoriginal #4theplayers jokes doesn't matter much to them. They seem to be making all the right business decisions with the PS4 this gen which doesn't necessarily mean making all the decisions that are most well liked by consumers. It sucks but shrug.

Why are some posters here SO defensive about these things? It's like Sony isn't capable of doing anything wrong to them.

I love Sony and PlayStation but come on. There are some things that all companies can do better on.

JB2448

Nintendo doesn't know what the hell they're doing when it comes to online. It wouldn't surprise me if they unknowingly signed their rights away in the clause and have to pay MS 50% of their online revenue for the next twenty years.

You do understand that Nintendo is a multinational corporation run by college graduates with years of experience, correct? Sony, Apple, Google, and Microsoft are all too. They all understand the ramifications of any deal they make.

Are Sony not the ones that were championed for cross platform play with Rocket League, and Xbox had to play catch up? Not sure what changed. Is it xplay with Xbox that's the problem, or in general... FFXIV still going strong too.

Playing devils advocate, but you seem to be pretty content with the game already, which kind of proves the point that cross play wasn't a make or break feature for you.

Seems to be MS doesn't want to open up their servers for FFXIV, which is something SE wants (and got for FFXI). Sony seems to just be cock blocking crossplay with their direct competitor out of spite. Seems petty to me when the consumers are the ones affected most.

Inb4 the excuses.

I want cross platform play to be a thing with many games in the future. Sony once again deciding what's best for their userbase. Market leader syndrome I guess.

I already alluded to the excuse that Sony should use. MS isn't allowing true PC cross-platform, and instead trying once again to force people to use the shitty, shitty, shitty windows store and get the Windows 10 version of Minecraft. Sony, brave Sony, is taking a stance against tyranny here, and should be commended.

I don't know what I'm talking about.

Seriously, all game systems need to become cross platform. Get your shit together Sony.

Aeana

I'm still waiting for FFXIV on Xbox one

Oh wait

Sony is the only one who does this shit

I guarantee you that many of the same people defending this move by Sony were calling for MS's head back when the news about them not playing ball with FF14 was new. You guys aren't fooling anybody for a second.

ZeroX03

Banned

They're fine with cross play with PC. Between consoles is a different story. Here we can clearly see MS is now fine with cross-console play, and actively pursued it with Sony.

Nintendo has been down for whatever for a few years now.

JayEH

Why are some posters here SO defensive about these things? It's like Sony isn't capable of doing anything wrong to them.

I love Sony and PlayStation but come on. There are some things that all companies can do better on.

multi billionare dollar corporations need to be defended ok.

BY2K

Membero Americo
For the record, we don't know if there were conditions on the deal that PlayStation refuted.

Mojang/Microsoft: "Hey Sony can we have people from Microsoft and Nintendo play with PlayStation players? It requires no input on your part since we'll be using our own servers."
Sony: "No. I have nothing to gain from this."

Top Bottom