• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER ALERT: Halo 5 (Spoiler) Spoiler Thread of Spoilers Spoiler

Trup1aya

Evil AI taking over the world is like the definition of sci fi trope. I don't think that's nitpicky at all.

Especially since this storyline has now been repeated in the Halo universe multiple times between Mendicant Bias and Guilty Spark.

Halo has been running with this same 'trope' since day one... Why stop now?

At the end of the day, don't we all just want a good excuse to shoot some shit?

Eh, i'll say that i do like that Locke kept his promise and brought Chief to Halsey. I'll give him that towards his character.

Seriously though, this story. 343 can do better than this.

Vire

Eh, i'll say that i do like that Locke kept his promise and brought Chief to Halsey. I'll give him that towards his character.

Seriously though, this story. 343 can do better than this.

Nah... Brian Reed is a comic book writer and it shows.

I don't even care anymore at this point. I've long come to accept that the EU has already been butchered beyond repair by Karen Traviss.

I honestly don't know if they can. Both the games they've made so far seem to suffer from the same problems.

well they improved the gameplay based on criticism, so maybe they'll improve the story if this one is panned.

i hope it is. wont be hearing much of that from me though. the story wouldn't bother me if the levels were fun, but slogging through warden after warden with annoying monologues on top of it really put a damper in my fun.

I don't even care anymore at this point. I've long come to accept that the EU has already been butchered beyond repair by Karen Traviss.

Wait Brian Reed wrote Halo 5 too? I though they got someone else. They couldn't just get Greg Bear or something?
It honestly hurts me deep inside that Robert Heinlein is dead and we will never get a Heinlein written Halo book.

only missions i liked were

Osiris
Blue Team
Reunion
Swords of Sanghelios

Glassed and Battle of Sunaion might grow on me, but I otherwise don't think i'll be doing a full playthrough of this much.

bidguy

Banned
This is the best story since Halo 2 for me, so 343 has done a pretty damn good job as far as I'm concerned.

really ? i thought it was a big improvement over halo 4 but it was too short and not a lot has happened. sure you got cortana taking control of giant warships and rallying ai against humans but after that ? giant cliffhanger. it ended too abruptly and left me hanging wanting more.

i hope they take campaign complaints to heart and improve on it there are a lot of people who mainly buy this because of the singleplayer mode

its probably unlikely but i hope we get some news about the next game at e3 2016. i mean they did the same in 2013 a few months after halo 4

its probably unlikely but i hope we get some news about the next game at e3 2016. i mean they did the same in 2013 a few months after halo 4
I have a feeling the next mainline Halo game is gonna be essentially an add on to Halo 5. Something about the semi-colon in the title just gives me that feeling.
Are there really only 3 Master Chief levels? That's some Kojima level shit right there.
Locke is gonna be redeemed in a Platinum action game, you heard it here first folks.

really ? i thought it was a big improvement over halo 4 but it was too short and not a lot has happened. sure you got cortana taking control of giant warships and rallying ai against humans but after that ? giant cliffhanger. it ended too abruptly and left me hanging wanting more.

i hope they take campaign complaints to heart and improve on it there are a lot of people who mainly buy this because of the singleplayer mode

Yea. Never cared for Halo 3's story. Reach and ODST were my two favorites and 5 surpasses both of them IMO.

Didn't seem like it was too short to me. Sure we didn't get a resolution, but I knew that was the likely outcome a while ago considering this is no longer a trilogy but a saga.

Nope, he was killed in the Halo Escalation comics by blue team as they blow up the ring+composers with him. Didact's dead.

He's not dead. Chief chooses his words carefully when referring to the Didact's fate and says he's "contained". That's a far cry from dead.

I long await the day that Halo abandons one hit kill sniping attacks. It wasn't good in Halo 2 and it still isn't good. Jackals I can learn to deal with, but the Warden and his near uncounterable OHK abilities was overkill in the most literal sense (we can't even shoot the tracking orb, really?!)

Legendary should increase the number of enemies, their aggressiveness, and the velocity and accuracy of their shots. But extra damage and extra health on top is something I'd rather they keep to the skulls.
It doesn't make the game harder, it makes the encounters less interesting because all that open space is wasted when enemies kill that quickly. I've never liked this about Halo and it's on full display here, even in spite of the leeway with the revive mechanic.

The Sanghelios levels in particular were beautiful open spaces, but running around them meant dying to just about anything in a blink of an eye. It got old crouching tiger hidden dragon behind chest high railings and peek shooting enemies with a Storm Rifle, only to die from something on the other side of the level that just got dropped in when you went to pick up a better gun. Even using vehicles felt pointless at times when enemies could destroy it so fast.

I long await the day that Halo abandons one hit kill sniping attacks. It wasn't good in Halo 2 and it still isn't good. Jackals I can learn to deal with, but the Warden and his near uncounterable OHK abilities was overkill in the most literal sense (we can't even shoot the tracking orb, really?!)

Legendary should increase the number of enemies, their aggressiveness, and the velocity and accuracy of their shots. But extra damage and extra health on top is something I'd rather they keep to the skulls.

It doesn't make the game harder, it makes the encounters less interesting because all that open space is wasted when enemies kill that quickly.

The Sanghelios levels in particular were beautiful open spaces, but running around them meant dying to just about anything in a blink of an eye. It got old crouching tiger hidden dragon behind chest high railings and peak shooting enemies with a Storm Rifle, only to die from something on the other side of the level that just got dropped in when you went to pick up a better gun.

Lol you gotta hit the B button and dodge it! He is tough, and I still have mission14 on legendary to manage, but I didn't have any problems with the other parts. You gotta stay close to your team, so if you get sniped (warden excluded) they can get you. Adds a little strategy.

bidguy

Banned
Are there really only 3 Master Chief levels? That's some Kojima level shit right there.

yes and its really dissapointing. hopefully this changes with the next game. i mean why introduce blue team if youre only playing a small part of the game as them ?

I have a feeling the next mainline Halo game is gonna be essentially an add on to Halo 5. Something about the semi-colon in the title just gives me that feeling.

you could be right but they still have halo wars 2 to pump out can they do both at the same time ?

I would kill for a skull that essentially mimics Metro 2033s Ranger Hardcore where your health and the enemies health are both super low.

You could be right but they still have halo wars 2 to pump out can they do both at the same time ?
Halo Wars 2 is being done by Creative Assembly. 343 is probably just doing some consulting.

Lol you gotta hit the B button and dodge it! He is tough, and I still have mission14 on legendary to manage, but I didn't have any problems with the other parts. You gotta stay close to your team, so if you get sniped (warden excluded) they can get you. Adds a little strategy.

I can dodge the laser attack but I didn't sign up for Halo: Blue Shell edition.

That last Warden fight was some hot garbage. One of those guys is annoying enough, but 3 of them and then turrets on top had me ready to nope out of there.

I think I got lucky somehow because the AI sometimes turn into T-Rexes when your squad is reviving each other, so I was able to break the aggro off of the Wardens that way. The other 50 tries before that consisted of me being shot in the back while trying to separate them.

nOoblet16

In the far end of the room with 3 wardens you have one or two of those promethean equivalent of spartan lasar...can't remember what they are called.
Atleast the fight has checkpoints after each warden dies.

It doesn't make the game harder, it makes the encounters less interesting because all that open space is wasted when enemies kill that quickly. I've never liked this about Halo and it's on full display here, even in spite of the leeway with the revive mechanic.

The Sanghelios levels in particular were beautiful open spaces, but running around them meant dying to just about anything in a blink of an eye. It got old crouching tiger hidden dragon behind chest high railings and peek shooting enemies with a Storm Rifle, only to die from something on the other side of the level that just got dropped in when you went to pick up a better gun. Even using vehicles felt pointless at times when enemies could destroy it so fast.

You're too used to the centurion/golgoroth tracking ball I see.

Just think the design is antiquated at this point. Bungie fixed the jackal problem by having the snipers charge up their shots before firing. They can still be OHKs, but there are obvious visual and aural tells before they fire. Their revive mechanic is also better because you can actually move and see what's happening while you revive someone. Don't like all these forced quick time animations, especally when some enemies don't show up on the radar at all.

Most of those attacks are only OHKs on Legendary though. Can't say I've ever enjoyed playing solo Legendary. Was always best in co-op (with Iron Skull)

yes and its really dissapointing. hopefully this changes with the next game. i mean why introduce blue team if youre only playing a small part of the game as them ?

you could be right but they still have halo wars 2 to pump out can they do both at the same time ?

Halo Wars 2 is being done mostly by Creative Assembly.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Forgive my poor summation skills.
-Halsey tells infinity stuff is gonna go down
-Locke, his band of power rangers, and Buck retrieve Halsey and kill Jul
-Halsey says Cortana is back and is waking up the Bayformers known as "Guardians"
-Chief sees a vision from what seems to be space magic and thinks Cortana is alive
-Chief says he's gonna go get Cortana
-Infinity says aww hell no but Chief is a strong man who just wants to save his waifu so he goes rogue and blue team follows
-Locke and Co. go to meridian where a bayformer wakes up and a bionicle known as "Warden Eternal" says he is in service to cortana
-Bionicle believes that AI are the rightful inheritors of the mantle (?)
-Locke and Co. meet up with an AI voiced by an anime character to stop Cortana
-Cortana tries to get all of the AIs to join her because she is AI jesus and can cure them of Rampancy
-Cortanas main goal is to force everyone to stop fighting by threatening them with the Bayformers, basically nuclear deterrence but with big robots
-Cortana tries to put Blue Team in a Cryptum till her goal is achieved
-Locke and Co. save chief
-Infinity is stranded out in BFE Space Quadrant 342134
-Cortana is taking possession of the Halo rings as a backup I guess
QU3VG8R.jpg

343's done great catering to various communities with this game, so they couldn't leave out the Rule 34 fans.
kappa.png

The end of Halo 4 is nothing compared to this game.

Johndoey

Banned

No need for the disrespect towards an entire medium, a lot of fantastic writers work in the comics industry.

Nope, he was killed in the Halo Escalation comics by blue team as they blow up the ring+composers with him. Didact's dead.
I thought Chief went "he probably ain't dead".

Playing on Heroic and missing that difficulty curve from Legendary (minus the OHK stuff of course). Enemies are way too easy, sigh

On a random note, smart scope is probably my favorite new mechanic update to the game. Funny how a bunch of useless weapons suddenly became viable.

Except the Storm Rifle. This...this i do not like.

nOoblet16

Playing on Heroic and missing that difficulty curve from Legendary (minus the OHK stuff of course). Enemies are way too easy, sigh

On a random note, smart scope is probably my favorite new mechanic update to the game. Funny how a bunch of useless weapons suddenly became viable.

Except the Storm Rifle. This...this i do not like.

Man I really hate the jumper controls here, wish it was like Destiny.
There is no reason why sprint should be mapped to A instead of left stick, it gets used a lot more than crouch eventhough I know certain people like crouch to be mapped to left stick but that was when Halo didn't have sprint ability. I can't believe they still have it in Halo 5.

Dodge should be A, sprint should be left click, reload and action should be X and crouch should be B.

SilentRob

It really feels like this honestly.

Ive finished the game today. And the Story was ok, but the pacing was meh.

But often that's not how marketing works. They normally don't just replicate a scene 1:1 and use that as their big CGI trailer (remember the Believe campaign of Halo 3 and the huge battle they were talking about and showing with the diorama and how that battle never happened in the actual game?).

They take the general themes and journey of a game and built their marketing campaign around that. The announcement trailer 100% fits the finished story:

Master Chief helps activate/is present when activating a Guardian in the hopes of finding Cortana, symbolised by her empty micro chip thingy. Obviously the scenario is different, but the broad strokes are the same.

It's the same with the Hunt The Truth campagin: There is never really much of a mystery in the game why you hunt the Chief and not nearly as much conflict between Locke & Chief as teased by the Live Action trailers, but that's because marketing often consists of taking certain themes and focusing on them to get a certain message, focus and tagline across.

It's just kinda weird to see this happening with 343-Halo, since they did such a great job with Halo 4 of specifically teasing stuff happening in the game with their books and trailers. Remember that live action trailer in the crashing ship that fluently cut to the in game cinematic of the ship crashing onto the planet? That was brilliant! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRxj8wEssqc

So while it's a little disappointing that 343 didn't go that route this time and fails to live up to many of the promises they made with their messaging and trailers, it doesn't really tell us anything about the actualy writing process of the game or indicate a change of the script. It's just marketing.

nOoblet16

916c5ff4d778c8367984bbefdebed8ba.png

hmm

Wait till you play multiplayer.

Crouching under headshots is why I made sure to pick a scheme with crouch on the left stick.

Yes I know that but like I said this was a time when Halo had longer TTK and no sprint. I suspect it's different now, I feel like my movement/traversal ability now suffers because of this.

Yea he's playing the same character in Destiny lol

Nathan Fillion plays the same role in everything he does.

I'm totally okay with this, though.

Man I really hate the jumper controls here, wish it was like Destiny.

Do you NXOE? You can remap the buttons. I play with default but switched crouch and thrust to mirror Destiny's default. I don't thrust enough and found myself flying all over the map when I was trying to crouch.

In terms of the art/design, I gotta agree that the forerunner stuff is STILL waaaaay too over detailed an beveled. You can keep the lights, glowing, and cool textures, but please reduce the complexity of the geometry. H 1-3 had this brilliant and simple elegance to it, but with 4+5, it feels way too busy. Not to mention the color palettes are still literally just orange and blue

Anung

Un Rama
Hey, at least the story is basic enough that it is completely understandable by the average fan.

Yep. Apart from not knowing who Locke is or why I should care I found the game approachable without having to read any EU nonsense.

nOoblet16

Nathan Fillion plays the same role in everything he does.

I'm totally okay with this, though.

Do you NXOE? You can remap the buttons. I play with default but switched crouch and thrust to mirror Destiny's default. I don't thrust enough and found myself flying all over the map when I was trying to crouch.

Is that a feature in the new OS?
I don't have it, would be great addition actually.

Hey, at least the story is basic enough that it is completely understandable by the average fan.
I think a lot of people are gonna be really confused about why Cortana is big bad now.
It still bugs me that Locke slowly reaches for the suit lock device and turns it on in front of Chief for him to see it and then walks towards him to put it on his chest when in a previous instance he just threw that thing immediately on Buck to lock his suit.
The fact that Chief doesn't say a "Locke" related pun is a crime against humanity.

Dopus

Banned
It still bugs me that Locke slowly reaches for the suit lock device and turns it on in front of Chief for him to see it and then walks towards him to put it on his chest when in a previous instance he just threw that thing immediately on Buck to lock his suit.

What bugged me more is that Locke actually hit Chief and damaged his visor. Unacceptable. imo, Locke should've gotten rekt one punch Blam! Locke dead - no more Osiris missions and all Chief

What bugged me more is that Locke actually hit Chief and damaged his visor. Unacceptable. imo, Locke should've gotten rekt one punch Blam! Locke dead - no more Osiris missions and all Chief

Locke shouldn't have been able to make physical contact with the visor. John and every spartan have a hair thin energy shield around their entire body. His punch should have hit the shield and ended there.

Ashura_MX

Forgive my poor summation skills.
-Halsey tells infinity stuff is gonna go down
-Locke, his band of power rangers, and Buck retrieve Halsey and kill Jul
-Halsey says Cortana is back and is waking up the Bayformers known as "Guardians"
-Chief sees a vision from what seems to be space magic and thinks Cortana is alive
-Chief says he's gonna go get Cortana
-Infinity says aww hell no but Chief is a strong man who just wants to save his waifu so he goes rogue and blue team follows
-Locke and Co. go to meridian where a bayformer wakes up and a bionicle known as "Warden Eternal" says he is in service to cortana
-Bionicle believes that AI are the rightful inheritors of the mantle (?)
-Locke and Co. meet up with an AI voiced by an anime character to stop Cortana
-Cortana tries to get all of the AIs to join her because she is AI jesus and can cure them of Rampancy
-Cortanas main goal is to force everyone to stop fighting by threatening them with the Bayformers, basically nuclear deterrence but with big robots
-Cortana tries to put Blue Team in a Cryptum till her goal is achieved
-Locke and Co. save chief
-Infinity is stranded out in BFE Space Quadrant 342134
-Cortana is taking possession of the Halo rings as a backup I guess
A++ should be in the OP

Top Bottom