• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER ALERT: Halo 5 (Spoiler) Spoiler Thread of Spoilers Spoiler

Ryan_IGN

lol McCaddwey is reviewing it?

That Halo 4 review is a gem.

Thanks for the...insult, I guess that was supposed to be?

Anyway, I think it's the worst campaign in the series. And I loved 4 (and stand by that). Story is a mess, there are no memorable "wow" moments to remember the campaign by, and the "fight 2 Wardens...then fight 3!" campaign design is just uninspired and cliched. But reviews on the campaign specifically seem to be all over the map, so YMMV. Not that anyone on NeoGAF cares what I think anyway. :)

FWIW I think multiplayer is fantastic -- my favorite Halo MP since 2, if a few of the maps solidify themselves as gems. Warzone is a stellar addition.

Anyway, I think it's the worst campaign in the series. And I loved 4 (and stand by that). Story is a mess, there are no memorable "wow" moments to remember the campaign by, and the "fight 2 Wardens...then fight 3!" campaign design is just uninspired and cliched. But reviews on the campaign specifically seem to be all over the map, so YMMV. Not that anyone on NeoGAF cares what I think anyway. :)

FWIW I think multiplayer is fantastic -- my favorite Halo MP since 2, if a few of the maps solidify themselves as gems. Warzone is a stellar addition.

hey, ryan...do you think/know if 343 will support Warzone with more maps etc post launch or if it'll be more focused on the more traditional MP side of things? Warzone feels like it might be my gateway drug for Halo's MP.

hey, ryan...do you think/know if 343 will support Warzone with more maps etc post launch or if it'll be more focused on the more traditional MP side of things? Warzone feels like it might be my gateway drug for Halo's MP.

6 of the 18+ freeLC maps are confirmed to be Warzone and new REQs are being added monthly.

That fight between Locke and the Chief early on was cringe-worthy. It even had an equivalent of blood being drawn and the character wiping it with his hand and giving a defiant look to his adversary.

Given that 6 out of the 21 launch maps are Warzone/Warzone Asssault, I feel as if that number could really mean 3 maps.
Probably. I'm expecting another three standard Warzone maps with assault compartments and a handful of experimental new modes (e.g. map dedicated to 24 players versus AI a la BTB firefight)

Flipyap

The Mythic version of the ending has them holding hands.

Also, is it just me or is the Arby-Chief relationship totally one-sided?

"In time, I called him ally - and even friend."

Dude, outside of the Gravemind meetup he's said exactly one word to you: "worse," when the Flood arrive on Earth. Otherwise he just nodded while you killed Truth and flew the Dawn to safety! I bet the Arbiter is constantly writing letters to him while Chief is off on missions. Probably never answers his texts, either.
Hey, the tin man totally told him not to piss off a hentai monster. That clearly shows that he cares. How many people do you think have told the Arbiter to watch out because he might get boned by a dozen tentacles? Not many, I'd imagine!

Z3M0G

So who turned out to be right or wrong about the plot in here?

Also what are the Guardians exactly? I saw a shot of one in the Gametrailers review for the game... (good old GT with their spoilers lol). Looked like a massive mech or something

Wait, so they killed off the Didact in the expanded universe?

Isn't that gonna be really confusing for people? Aren't they going to be wondering where the villain of the last game went?

SilentRob

Isn't that gonna be really confusing for people? Aren't they going to be wondering where the villain of the last game went?

Well, they killed him in the game. Kind of. Not really but if you don't know the EU it probably seemed that way.

And then he was brought back for the EU. And then killed off again. But only kind of. Not really. So really, nothing changed :p

NoBL3Z

Wtf@ thinking 343 did/does skyboxes better

Whatever you're smoking, you should probably find a different dealer

As if I actually smoke.

This is factually incorrect, not an opinion and I can prove it with screenshots.
Reach had better looking skyboxes even graphically, and older games had better looking skyboxes aesthetically (read the part where I say aesthetic before you say something). Halo 5 does not have a single good skybox outside of the one time when you are running down the length of a guardian, which is actually just an image again...apart from that every single skybox lacks detail in the sense that they do not have any striking features, they are almost always faded out and they are static too. I am specifically talking about skybox not background details like ships and gunfire that are closer to you than they are to the sky.

Halo 4 actually just used compressed images for skyboxes and that is the reason why it ends up looking worse than even Halo 3 because they didn't use a compressed and static image for skyboxes. but rather rendered most of the details and as such they could animate them and make it look better. There is nothing in either Halo games by 343 that even comes close to this skybox from a multiplayer map in Reach and it isn't even the most impressive one in the game.

Also just because a game is older does not automatically make it inferior graphically by the way, keep in mind that Halo 3 despite looking worse (due to other aespects of its graphics) and releasing in 2007 on an Xbox 360, still had a lighting that was technically superior and more accurate to the one seen in every other Halo game released after it. Or how Halo 3 still has better water than even Halo 5.

I forgot to mention Reach had good skyboxes. I was referring to Halo 1 and 2 in terms of skyboxes. 3, ODST and Reach had good skyboxes. I was ranting so much I left that out. And how does Halo 3 have better water? I've seen Halo 5 and it looks superior unless I missed something.

So who turned out to be right or wrong about the plot in here?

Also what are the Guardians exactly? I saw a shot of one in the Gametrailers review for the game... (good old GT with their spoilers lol). Looked like a massive mech or something

Didact hasn't been confirmed dead. At the end of Halo 4, he was sent to a Halo installation that Halo Escalation expanded upon. And even at the installation, when Blue Team defeated The Didact, Chief stated he was "contained", not dead.

This^^
Ive played the campaign today too on Coop with my buddy (No lag or delay is awesome) but the graphics and especially that bad skyboxes really stand out.

Trup1aya

I think folks who just played the game assume he's dead. Died when there was a grenade placed in his chest, followed by nuclear explosion.

Trup1aya

Can't recall any memorable moments in H4... Or even a single map designed in a traditional halo manner... Weapons disappeared before your eyes when you needed them the most... And the enemies weren't fun to fight. THAT was messy.

All Opinions ofcourse, but from a level design, and core mechanic stand point, H5 campaign is MUCH better that halo 4s.

Random17

Skyboxes are exactly Reach level, but they are definitely not bad. Those Guardians...

Bungie was consistently good at skyboxes, though. Every Bungie game had amazing skyboxes.
Can't recall any memorable moments in H4... Or even a single map designed in a traditional halo manner... Weapons disappeared before your eyes when you needed them the most... And the enemies weren't fun to fight. THAT was messy.

All Opinions ofcourse, but from a level design, and core mechanic stand point, H5 campaign is MUCH better that halo 4s.
That Composer scene though...

You're right otherwise. Halo 5 actually attempts to explain the EU concepts ingame, especially with Exuberant Witness. Halo 4 glossed over it completely, and didn't make sense until Silentium released 5 months later.

Olengie

I can see it now. Cortana somehow getting hold of Composed Ur-Didact and putting him into a Promethean Body and having him serve as her Lieutenant in the Expanded Universe and/or Halo 6. lul.

And then Virtual Ur-Didact rebels against Cortana.

whipihguh

Banned
The story kind of baffles me, especially since there's no real hint of the Didact from what I've seen of the game. I seem to remember someone from 343 saying that the Didact would be a pivotal character post-Halo 4, and we know he's not dead in the ultimate sense. I definitely didn't expect Cortana to be the foe, especially since her actions seem a bit out of character. It seems like something has corrupted her, either the Domain itself, her prior rampancy or even being manipulated by the Warden.

Didn't all the Prometheans in Halo 4 turn orange when the Didact awoke and took them over? The Warden seems to have a similar color scheme. Perhaps the Didact is in control of the Warden in some way?

Also, what happened to the Librarian from 4? If there was an AI simulation of her there, I'm sure there would be others. I mean, why wouldn't there be, especially if she wanted her plan to be ensured? And wasn't Guilty Spark off to search for something or other? That story note hasn't been brought back either, it seems. I'm so confused...

GnawtyDog

Banned
I can see it now. Cortana somehow getting hold of Composed Ur-Didact and putting him into a Promethean Body and having him serve as her Lieutenant in the Expanded Universe and/or Halo 6. lul.

And then Virtual Ur-Didact rebels against Cortana.

I think that Warden of hers is much better than Didact.

Plot twist. The Warden is the Didact. lol.

Haven't played the game yet, but that was my first thought....

Would love to see Didact take over control from cortana and function as the big evil dude
in Halo 6, chief gets cortana back someway and let Halo 6 legendary ending introduce a new grave mind.

Make halo 7 be about the flood on next gen system, would love to see flood be aggressive mutators, corpses recombining etc.

Trup1aya

Skyboxes are exactly Reach level, but they are definitely not bad. Those Guardians...

Bungie was consistently good at skyboxes, though. Every Bungie game had amazing skyboxes.

That Composer scene though...

You're right otherwise. Halo 5 actually attempts to explain the EU concepts ingame, especially with Exuberant Witness. Halo 4 glossed over it completely, and didn't make sense until Silentium released 5 months later.

Yeah, the composer scene was memorable (even though I hardly understood what the composer was at the time) But I mean there were no gameplay moments that stood out.

Random17

The Guardians effectively policed players who broke the rules by exiting map boundaries, using the fear of instant, unstoppable death (in the trilogy) .

Apt name for what were essentially Forerunner police bots that covered entire solar systems in Halo 5.

The most interesting Forerunner concept since the time lock, and they came off as intimidating in the ending cinematic. It a shame a lot of the plot points in this game lacked substance. I'm glad it reinforced the idea that the current civilizations are still vastly imferior to the Forerunners.

There was a lot of potential.

BraXzy

After giving it some thought.. My only concern with the Guardians is they are kinda like Nukes. There's not a whole lot you can do to stop them if they're gonna come. Theyre this big overwhelming force that doesnt seem viable to win against. There's no, ooh maybe I can board that thing and epically take it down as Master Chief, because there's dozens of them.

I'm interested to see where they go with the whole situation.

They do look insanely cool though. I love how they are hidden underneath world's all over the place.

nOoblet16

As if I actually smoke.

I forgot to mention Reach had good skyboxes. I was referring to Halo 1 and 2 in terms of skyboxes. 3, ODST and Reach had good skyboxes. I was ranting so much I left that out. And how does Halo 3 have better water? I've seen Halo 5 and it looks superior unless I missed something.
Well you certainly have missed something then.
The water in Halo 3 was never matched in any of the later games, Halo 4 had it even worse than Halo Reach (which was worse than Halo 3). The one in Halo 5 looks better than Halo 4 but it's still not as good as Halo Reach and not even close to Halo 3. Even the 3D ripples are extremely spiky and they do not persist at all. The ripples caused from your and your team's movement is always the same rather than being dynamic as in Halo 3.

Basically, if you think Halo 5 has better water then you are remembering it wrong. It's even mentioned by DF

Random17

After giving it some thought.. My only concern with the Guardians is they are kinda like Nukes. There's not a whole lot you can do to stop them if they're gonna come. Theyre this big overwhelming force that doesnt seem viable to win against. There's no, ooh maybe I can board that thing and epically take it down as Master Chief because there's dozens of them.

I'm interested to see where they go with the whole situation.

They do look insanely cool though. I love how they are hidden underneath world's all over the place.
That's true and they'll really have to dig themselves out of this hole.

BraXzy

It's almost a shame in a way all of the Hunt the truth and pre release promotions kinda took the big baddie surprise away. The first part of the game leading up to it when Halsey is like what are these signals, you know. The starts mystery will be a lot better for people who go in blind.

Random17

What's that halo ring in the legendary ending?
I thought it was 03, but that ring was damaged. Background planet doesn't match 05.

I finally realized what Cortana's final quote alludes to.

The Forerunner were the created, and later so was Humanity. Both took the Mantle from their creators. I guess Cortana thought AI was the next logical step?

angelic

Banned
a pals just told me something i totally missed that explains a lot for me. halsey created cortana with forerunner tech, thats why shes able to interface with the domain. the whole plan was for humans to invent AI, find the stuff on reach, and create the AIs ready to take over. like the ultimate kick in the balls from the past

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Haha, indeed.

Bungie has the best skyboxes (at least in the halo games) in the industry while 343's are average at best.

I wish someone would post some comparisons cus I just can't image how someone would think 343 does skyboxes better than Bungie.

Ascenion

Forgive my poor summation skills.
-Halsey tells infinity stuff is gonna go down
-Locke, his band of power rangers, and Buck retrieve Halsey and kill Jul
-Halsey says Cortana is back and is waking up the Bayformers known as "Guardians"
-Chief sees a vision from what seems to be space magic and thinks Cortana is alive
-Chief says he's gonna go get Cortana
-Infinity says aww hell no but Chief is a strong man who just wants to save his waifu so he goes rogue and blue team follows
-Locke and Co. go to meridian where a bayformer wakes up and a bionicle known as "Warden Eternal" says he is in service to cortana
-Bionicle believes that AI are the rightful inheritors of the mantle (?)
-Locke and Co. meet up with an AI voiced by an anime character to stop Cortana
-Cortana tries to get all of the AIs to join her because she is AI jesus and can cure them of Rampancy
-Cortanas main goal is to force everyone to stop fighting by threatening them with the Bayformers, basically nuclear deterrence but with big robots
-Cortana tries to put Blue Team in a Cryptum till her goal is achieved
-Locke and Co. save chief
-Infinity is stranded out in BFE Space Quadrant 342134
-Cortana is taking possession of the Halo rings as a backup I guess

Jesus....this is wow. This is cheesy though not necessarily bad. But this summation makes it seem worse than it may be (haven't started the campaign yet).

Top Bottom