• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER ALERT: Halo 5 (Spoiler) Spoiler Thread of Spoilers Spoiler

For the people who beat it already, what do you think the critics are gonna score it?

Most of them aren't going to be annoyed by the Warden or squadmates if they're playing on lower difficulties, so the Campaign should be fairly short and easy to them. Most will gloss over the Story as well because reviewers may not deduct points for originality.

So expecting 8s and 9s and a 10 from Ryan McCaffery IGN

Most publications didn't really find much fault with the Halo 4 campaign, right?

So I'd expect 5 to score very highly based on how much of an improvement 5 seems to be across the board with most reviewers inability to spot any sort of flaw what so ever.

Vire

Most of them aren't going to be annoyed by the Warden or squadmates if they're playing on lower difficulties, so the Campaign should be fairly short and easy to them. Most will gloss over the Story as well because reviewers may not deduct points for originality.

lol McCaddwey is reviewing it?

That Halo 4 review is a gem.
Most publications didn't really find much fault with the Halo 4 campaign, right?

So I'd expect 5 to score very highly based on how much of an improvement 5 seems to be across the board with most reviewers inability to spot any sort of flaw what so ever.
I don't even use reviews as a useful barometer for buying a game anymore. I just get what I personally think looks like it is appealing to me or is recommended by friends/people on GAF I trust.

I'm expecting the normal mass media reviews where they don't talk about the mechanics or how they actually affect the gameplay but instead just say a bunch of buzzwords like "visceral" and "fluid". Standard 8s and 9s most likely. I expect Gametrailers will give it a lower score than most since Brian Moore is most likely writing the review and he absolutely hated the Cortana parts of Halo 4.

I don't even use reviews as a useful barometer for buying a game anymore. I just get what I personally think looks like it is appealing to me or is recommended by friends/people on GAF I trust.

I do the same. I used to use reviews back in the PS2/GC/Xbox era and even a bit into the 360/PS3 era but there's way too many gems and games I ended up loving that I missed out on due to them.

And of course, vice versa. Games that I regret purchasing and so on. GAF impressions tend to do right by me.

I don't care for numerical scores though, unless the reviewer has some kind of scale where they weight different aspects of the game and then average their rating for those.

Prefer reviews that thoroughly address every aspect of the game and don't pull punches.

Vire

And speaking of Wardens, they are so much better on Heroic. Like, the difference is night and day with how enjoyable the encounter is.
I saw one of the Warden fights on Twitch and it seems like the pro tip was to take out the turrets with a four shot light rifle when they open up to and then when the Warden targeting you, a triangle exclamation mark comes up on your HUD so you can tell if you are about to get one shotted. He also clambered over a cover point when he neared on the radar.

The guy I watched beat it after about 20 tries which wasn't too bad by legendary standards.

You guys are weird. Halo 4 is a 8 at worst and since H5 is better in every way, wouldn't it get 9s across the board?

Halo 4 really only has a couple lousy levels in the middle though IMO. Most of the encounters in H5 are better but don't really care for all the boss battles and scripted set pieces.

343 could use a lesson in subtlety. Sometimes I want to just shoot things quietly in the environment without having 10 different characters speaking to me telepathically... on top of loud music.

I saw one of the Warden fights on Twitch and it seems like the pro tip was to take out the turrets with a four shot light rifle when they open up to and then when the Warden targeting you, a triangle exclamation mark comes up on your HUD so you can tell if you are about to get one shotted. He also clambered over a cover point when he neared on the radar.

The guy I watched beat it after about 20 tries which wasn't too bad by legendary standards.

I originally thought hopping over the main cannons to get a shot at the dude's back would be a good strategy.

It was not.

Master Chief: Didact made it clear that the Mantle of Responsibility was an imperial piece. Step out of line, and suffer.
Cortana: It wont be like that John - i'll explain it better when we're together.

ed6.gif

You guys are weird. Halo 4 is a 8 at worst and since H5 is better in every way, wouldn't it get 9s across the board?
Opinions Shmopinions. I think the first 3 levels of Halo 4 are great, but then it sinks down to bad status when Darth Vader and Palmer showed up.
Master Chief: Didact made it clear that the Mantle of Responsibility was an imperial piece. Step out of line, and suffer.
Cortana: It wont be like that John - i'll explain it better when we're together.
"I don't have time to explain why I don't have time to explain"

GnawtyDog

Banned
It still bugs me that Locke slowly reaches for the suit lock device and turns it on in front of Chief for him to see it and then walks towards him to put it on his chest when in a previous instance he just threw that thing immediately on Buck to lock his suit.

It's just poorly designed. The fight needed different/more camera angle changes, speed, and a greater area of engagement. They barely moved from their initial starting position.

Anung

Un Rama
It's just poorly designed. The fight needed different/more camera angle changes, speed, and a greater area of engagement. They barely moved from their initial starting position.

I think it needed to feel heavier. These guys are wearing MJOLNIR Armour for gods sake and are both super soldiers. They should beating each other to a stand still.

It just felt very light and flaccid.

How do you unlock the Legendary ending? Do I need to beat the entire campaign on Legendary or completing the last mission will do the work?

GnawtyDog

Banned
I think it needed to feel heavier. These guys are wearing MJOLNIR Armour for gods sake and are both super soldiers. They should beating each other to a stand still.

It just felt very light and flaccid.

Yeah it's hard to describe. I mean you could see the punches were kind of heavy in a few of instances but the "heavyness" wasn't felt. Equal forces at play and all that is not what's going to make these fights epic. We're talking about shock value here ala Hollywood fights, ex: Fast and Furious between Dom and the Rock. It missed a bit of that.

Wvrs

Locke and his team felt derivative and forced. I realised it fully when I got to Genesis with Osiris and Cortana was talking about how they'd been there all game as if trying to convince me they were integral to the experience.

I'd have gone back to a split between the Chirf and Arbiter; their history of being enemies crossed with their friendship and warrior's bond would have made for an interesting dynamic. Arbiter cares about Chief but not as blindly as Blue Team.

Game should have started off with the storming of Sanghelios as Chief/Blue Team, with him meeting up with Arbiter and the two fighting to end Jul's rebellion. At some point Chief would have the same vision of Cortana and gone AWOL, with the Arbiter going to stop him after the anomalies starting happening and affecting human/elite colonies both.

Would have been much better than 3 new characters and one old (hastily shoehorned into an ill-fitting role) being presented to us as though we're supposed to care or even know them.

Games like Halo have short campaigns. Bungie knew this, and their main casts were small. 343 are trying to do Mass Effect but in a fraction of the time.

But I appreciate their ambition. If Halo was turned into an FPS/RPG hybrid like Deus Ex, I'd enjoy their approacb a lot more.

BraXzy

Question for anyone who has early access to multiplayer. Do wepaon skins found in the campaign unlock in the customisation options for multi?

Question for anyone who has early access to multiplayer. Do wepaon skins found in the campaign unlock in the customisation options for multi?

That's a good question, there's no indication that it does anything when you pick them up. That'd be cool though.

The story may not be a big talking point for reviews - but not for reasons that have anything to do with its quality.

Evil AI taking over the world is like the definition of sci fi trope. I don't think that's nitpicky at all.

Especially since this storyline has now been repeated in the Halo universe multiple times between Mendicant Bias and Guilty Spark.

"AI is a crapshoot"/ "creations turn on their creators" is a theme in Halo going as far back as the Forerunners exterminating the Precursors. It's not going away any time soon.

BraXzy

That's a good question, there's no indication that it does anything when you pick them up. That'd be cool though.

I really hope it does. I don't see why not, it's a cool way to sorta show off hey look I've done the campaign and searched around. Better than just auto-unlocking at the end of a mission.

Plus I found a kick ass shotgun with flames coming out the front so I want to keep that please :3

Now that you mention it... Rewatching the video, and Chief's bulgeing codpiece...

The Mythic version of the ending has them holding hands.

Also, is it just me or is the Arby-Chief relationship totally one-sided?

"In time, I called him ally - and even friend."

Dude, outside of the Gravemind meetup he's said exactly one word to you: "worse," when the Flood arrive on Earth. Otherwise he just nodded while you killed Truth and flew the Dawn to safety! I bet the Arbiter is constantly writing letters to him while Chief is off on missions. Probably never answers his texts, either.

NoBL3Z

Locke and his team felt derivative and forced. I realised it fully when I got to Genesis with Osiris and Cortana was talking about how they'd been there all game as if trying to convince me they were integral to the experience.

I'd have gone back to a split between the Chirf and Arbiter; their history of being enemies crossed with their friendship and warrior's bond would have made for an interesting dynamic. Arbiter cares about Chief but not as blindly as Blue Team.

Game should have started off with the storming of Sanghelios as Chief/Blue Team, with him meeting up with Arbiter and the two fighting to end Jul's rebellion. At some point Chief would have the same vision of Cortana and gone AWOL, with the Arbiter going to stop him after the anomalies starting happening and affecting human/elite colonies both.

Would have been much better than 3 new characters and one old (hastily shoehorned into an ill-fitting role) being presented to us as though we're supposed to care or even know them.

Games like Halo have short campaigns. Bungie knew this, and their main casts were small. 343 are trying to do Mass Effect but in a fraction of the time.

But I appreciate their ambition. If Halo was turned into an FPS/RPG hybrid like Deus Ex, I'd enjoy their approacb a lot more.

I agree with this. 343 should have cut down the missions and added more.

And for those stating Locke is a boring character, I feel as though one of the Halo writers should have either wrote a book about Locke or have a Halo Escalation comic dedicated to him similar to Tanaka. I feel as though Locke and Vale are the least interesting characters of the game. Tanaka had a fleshed out story in Halo Escalation and I love her as much as I love Buck. Locke did have a bit of a story in Nightfall, but none of it talked about his childhood like FoR did with Chief and Blue Team. I feel as though 343 needs to release some form of media to flesh out Locke's character. I don't feel as though he's forced.....just not explained upon. Other than that, I like him and Osiris. They seem like a better team of Spartan IV's that are more professional than the Spartan IV's in Halo 4 (Remember the criticism about how laid back Spartan IV's compared to Chief?)

Also, I swear some of you are on some serious nostalgia acid LOL. Bungie created better skyboxes and better graphics? As freaking if. You're talking about OLD Halo games with glitches and confusing stories (2, 3 and Reach Lol) and stating they're better than 343 aka Old Bungie (What's left of it)? I understand opinions are opinions, but you know what? They're like assholes....they both stink. 343 I will say has better storytelling and graphics/skyboxes. In some of Bungie's Halo games, there were skyboxes but not many, and definitely not better than 343. And from what I noticed from Halo 5, the graphics are at its highest, especially with the levels I saw (1,2,3,4,5,6 and 8), so the fact you guys are stating a 2012 or older Halo game looks as good as Halo 5 in any way is fucking ridiculous and sounds a lot like nostalgia is a big factor. This is another reason why I do feel in some ways hypocrisy applies to the Halo Community and fans. It's because most of us don't know how to move on and let older Halos go. There is a new era of Halo and that is 343. This studio is extremely passionate (too passionate imo) about making Halo and I'm glad they are the rightful replacement for Bungie, because I feel they will live up to the expectations.

Sorry for the rant, but I see these arguments everywhere about Halo and it's annoying one of my favorite games are nitpicked to hell about EVERYTHING.

TL:DR Version: 343 is still getting used to developing Halo games, they are slowly getting better. Multiplayer wise looks to be the best Halo ever. Story wise needs some serious tuning but I believe they can do it. Graphics wise, definitely kicking it up a notch and easily better than Bungie. If anyone disagrees, think about Halo 3 (E3 Reveal and Trailers vs Release). Locke can be fleshed out with a few comics or a book, so relax on him. Enjoy playing as a new team of Spartans after Chief 24/7 in older gamers. And stop letting nostalgia affect your perspective on newer Halo. Think of it as a different direction yet still canon.

Is it me or do they fight (and sound) like action figures instead of huge Spartans in armor suits? That was pretty bad.

Also, did 343 really kill Jul in a fucking cutscene? What is wrong with these guys seriously?

The gameplay is what mattered most for me, and it delivered in spades. While the story felt campy and forced.... well what did you expect? It's a space opera. They're almost all campy and forced, and Halo has always been campy. It's the fan fiction and extended universe that has always brought out the best in the story.

FWIW my review will be up on TrueAchievements in 30 minutes when the embargo expires. It's a personal review not the official site review, but it's 1500 words and I worked hard on it. Hope a few of you will take a gander. :) I spent over 25 hours, finished the campaign on legendary, replayed many levels to work on achievement videos, and spent time in all of the various multiplayer modes. It's as thorough a review as you'll get, albeit biased due to my being a Halo fan (one who didn't like 4 and was disappointed by TMCC, mind you).

The opposite is true now. Not only is the EU pants but it bogs the games down.

That may be true. But at least the gameplay is there. I haven't had this much fun in multiplayer OR campaign since Halo 3. The speed in MP doesn't even bother me because everything feels so good, and when I get beaten by someone I know they outplayed me rather than out cheesed/lagged/pulled host/etc.

nOoblet16

I agree with this. 343 should have cut down the missions and added more.

And for those stating Locke is a boring character, I feel as though one of the Halo writers should have either wrote a book about Locke or have a Halo Escalation comic dedicated to him similar to Tanaka. I feel as though Locke and Vale are the least interesting characters of the game. Tanaka had a fleshed out story in Halo Escalation and I love her as much as I love Buck. Locke did have a bit of a story in Nightfall, but none of it talked about his childhood like FoR did with Chief and Blue Team. I feel as though 343 needs to release some form of media to flesh out Locke's character. I don't feel as though he's forced.....just not explained upon. Other than that, I like him and Osiris. They seem like a better team of Spartan IV's that are more professional than the Spartan IV's in Halo 4 (Remember the criticism about how laid back Spartan IV's compared to Chief?)

Also, I swear some of you are on some serious nostalgia acid LOL. Bungie created better skyboxes and better graphics? As freaking if. You're talking about OLD Halo games with glitches and confusing stories (2, 3 and Reach Lol) and stating they're better than 343 aka Old Bungie (What's left of it)? I understand opinions are opinions, but you know what? They're like assholes....they both stink. 343 I will say has better storytelling and graphics/skyboxes. In some of Bungie's Halo games, there were skyboxes but not many, and definitely not better than 343. And from what I noticed from Halo 5, the graphics are at its highest, especially with the levels I saw (1,2,3,4,5,6 and 8), so the fact you guys are stating a 2012 or older Halo game looks as good as Halo 5 in any way is fucking ridiculous and sounds a lot like nostalgia is a big factor. This is another reason why I do feel in some ways hypocrisy applies to the Halo Community and fans. It's because most of us don't know how to move on and let older Halos go. There is a new era of Halo and that is 343. This studio is extremely passionate (too passionate imo) about making Halo and I'm glad they are the rightful replacement for Bungie, because I feel they will live up to the expectations.

Sorry for the rant, but I see these arguments everywhere about Halo and it's annoying one of my favorite games are nitpicked to hell about EVERYTHING.

TL:DR Version: 343 is still getting used to developing Halo games, they are slowly getting better. Multiplayer wise looks to be the best Halo ever. Story wise needs some serious tuning but I believe they can do it. Graphics wise, definitely kicking it up a notch and easily better than Bungie. If anyone disagrees, think about Halo 3 (E3 Reveal and Trailers vs Release). Locke can be fleshed out with a few comics or a book, so relax on him. Enjoy playing as a new team of Spartans after Chief 24/7 in older gamers. And stop letting nostalgia affect your perspective on newer Halo. Think of it as a different direction yet still canon.
This is factually incorrect, not an opinion and I can prove it with screenshots.
Reach had better looking skyboxes even graphically, and older games had better looking skyboxes aesthetically (read the part where I say aesthetic before you say something). Halo 5 does not have a single good skybox outside of the one time when you are running down the length of a guardian, which is actually just an image again...apart from that every single skybox lacks detail in the sense that they do not have any striking features, they are almost always faded out and they are static too. I am specifically talking about skybox not background details like ships and gunfire that are closer to you than they are to the sky.

Halo 4 actually just used compressed images for skyboxes and that is the reason why it ends up looking worse than even Halo 3 because they didn't use a compressed and static image for skyboxes. but rather rendered most of the details and as such they could animate them and make it look better. There is nothing in either Halo games by 343 that even comes close to this skybox from a multiplayer map in Reach and it isn't even the most impressive one in the game.

Also just because a game is older does not automatically make it inferior graphically by the way, keep in mind that Halo 3 despite looking worse (due to other aespects of its graphics) and releasing in 2007 on an Xbox 360, still had a lighting that was technically superior and more accurate to the one seen in every other Halo game released after it. Or how Halo 3 still has better water than even Halo 5.

Top Bottom