• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November II 2014 - Autumn Sale starts the 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoneBone

As one of the three people on here who didn't already own Sonic Transformed, NiGHTS, or the Dreamcast Collection, I'm very happy with this. Including DLC and expandalones but not the full games is still ridiculous, though.

I don't have the game so enjoy..

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (TuckingFypo, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Total War: ROME II: Caesar in Gaul DLC -- MB-4612A522C9F747B6

Alright, bit the bullet and went with tier 2 of Sega bundle.

And all just in hope that Alpha Protocol is going to be added.

Come on Alpha Protocol!

didamangi

So it seems that the 30-day trading cooldown applies to gifts sent directly, as well, which... doesn't make any sense.

Gifts sent directly still sits on the gifter(?) inventory until the recipient claim/open it though, so it'll get the trading cooldown applied as well I guess.

kafiend

So it seems that the 30-day trading cooldown applies to gifts sent directly, as well, which... doesn't make any sense.

Unless they changed it in the last few hours I got Geometry Wars 3 from a trader I trust. He sent it as a gift directly to me and I opened a trade with him for the keys in return. Game went directly into my library.

B3PN6WjCEAAszOW.jpg

Amazeballs

About the sale on Origin. Only interested in Mercenaries 2
(and a bit Saboteur :p)

But 7,50 is too much currently. Hm. I'll wait till EA brings its games to Steam again.

How long could it take honestly?

They'll add the Alien Isolation preorder DLCs, that's why it was on the banner.

I actually wouldn't mind that too much. I've been banking a lot of DLC's in preparation for cheap sales down the road. At least my unredeemed group of HB Total War II DLC's will grow.

This is already a steal if you don't already have the Dreamcast Collection/Sonic. And even the average has tanked. At $3.32 last I checked.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Gifts sent directly still sits on the gifter(?) inventory until the recipient claim/open it though, so it'll get the trading cooldown applied as well I guess.

I received a test gift that was sent directly through to a middle-man which was in turn sent directly to me:

testucf3x.jpg

Unless they changed it in the last few hours I got Geometry Wars 3 from a trader I trust. He sent it as a gift directly to me and I opened a trade with him for the keys in return. Game went directly into my library.

It's too late now, I suppose, but do you remember whether or not that the item you received was tradeable?

Dr Dogg

So what with all the Dark Souls II hooplah today I thought I better check in on my progress (only to find I have no idea where my saves have gone). Also I had a bit of a memory blip in a few unexpected but very surprising ways. completely forgot this has proper SLI support now, also forgot that I had texture dumping set in GeDoSaTo which made me thing something was up, also completely forgot to swap out bokeh as the DoF type but thanks to the aforementioned SLI compatibility didn't realise until I got to here...
Which is quite funny as this is the old crappy version where as Namco want to sell us the new shinier version with pics like this.

I'll take my 4k, GeDoSaTo and silly expensive DoF over that any day thank you very much Mr Namco sir.

Lomax

If you could bypass the trade lockout simply by gifting it first, the lockout would be completely meaningless.

Is this the lowest BTA in HB history? Sitting at $3.3 currently.

In the days before fixed price higher tiers and initial price manipulation, some BTAs stayed pretty low and even dropped throughout the sales time. Especially when buying the bottom tier got you the added second week games, occasionally BTAs would go down for the entire first week.

didamangi

Is this the lowest BTA in HB history? Sitting at $3.3 currently.

I received a test gift that was sent directly through to a middle-man which was in turn sent directly to me:

Am I missing something here, did you mean that the original gift was tradable?

Otherwise, any gift that was sent directly/sent via email will still sit in the original buyer inventory at some point before it gets claimed/received, which means the restriction gets applied. No way around it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If you could bypass the trade lockout simply by gifting it first, the lockout would be completely meaningless.

Exactly - this isn't surprising. Otherwise a trader could just buy the game, then gift it to an alt account which then trades it like normal. In fact, in this scenario they would most likely just use an alt account to purchase the game, and gift it to their main trading account.

I see they added to the Steam Trading FAQs support document, but forgot to edit this part that was there previously:

gifts that are purchased on trusted accounts can be traded immediately; otherwise there is a 30-day cool down before the gift can be traded. Any account that has made any valid purchase from the Steam Store more than 30 days ago is considered trusted. This is to ensure that all games traded are valuable, and help prevent fraudulent purchases for the purpose of trades. If you do not make a purchase on your Steam account after being labeled as trusted within a year your status will be reset and you will need to wait an additional 30-days before being trusted again.

Nzyme32

So what with all the Dark Souls II hooplah today I thought I better check in on my progress (only to find I have no idea where my saves have gone). Also I had a bit of a memory blip in a few unexpected but very surprising ways. completely forgot this has proper SLI support now, also forgot that I had texture dumping set in GeDoSaTo which made me thing something was up, also completely forgot to swap out bokeh as the DoF type but thanks to the aforementioned SLI compatibility didn't realise until I got to here...

Which is quite funny as this is the old crappy version where as Namco want to sell us the new shinier version with pics like this.

I'll take my 4k, GeDoSaTo and silly expensive DoF over that any day thank you very much Mr Namco sir.

Having not bought ds2 yet, I'll have to keep an eye on which version to actually get. If the screens are anything to go by, I may be best with the original and gedosato. That said, I don't know if bamco will pull the original or something to sell the new one at an inflated price. I best keep an eye in that too I guess

JaseC

Nobody is denying that, but the restriction acting as it does makes it clear that the 30-day cooldown is Valve combating the apps that aren't covered by ACRTAG.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Nobody is denying that, but the restriction acting as it does makes it clear that the 30-day cooldown is Valve combating the apps that aren't covered by ACRTAG.

It kinda makes me wonder why they didn't just retroactively ACRTAG everything and call it a day. I guess people who traded for gifts in other regions and have them sitting in their inventories would have been screwed.

I suppose it's just too much work to create new subs for everything then region-lock them, like they did with CSGO.

I actually put a whopping $5 into the Sega bundle.
The BTA game is probably Alpha Protocol or Binary Domain. Aside from Sonic Adventure 2 and the Alien titles I can't think of any Sega PC games I don't own.

JaseC

It kinda makes me wonder why they didn't just retroactively ACRTAG everything and call it a day. I guess people who traded for gifts in other regions and have them sitting in their inventories would have been screwed.

Yeah, when Valve applied ACRTAG to CS:GO it made a new sub and left pre-existing copies region-free.

KiDdYoNe

I suppose it's just too much work to create new subs for everything then region-lock them, like they did with CSGO.

Plus why would they do that? It's no good or bad for them. It's enough just to lock CS (and the rest of the games probably in future), no one's paying them to sit and manually region lock everything. Publisher wants - sure, they'll lock it. No words from publisher - nothing to change.

Kiru

ATTENTION, new news about the Dark Souls steamworks patch:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/211420/discussions/0/619568794059742135/

- UPDATE 11/25/14 -
We are working hard to finalize the process to move your Dark Souls: Prepare to Die saves and achievements to Steam. We need to conduct additional testing and we are now targeting December to begin this process. We'll have more information in the coming weeks. Thank you very much for your patience!

Elija2

To whomever:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Elija2, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Total War: ROME II - Caesar in Gaul (DLC) -- MB-128BD0B220C46BD8

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed -- MB-91674BF58D4F9BB9 - Taken by Scipius. 6 entrants total.

t1416946934z1.png

jshackles

Yeah, when Valve applied ACRTAG to CS:GO it made a new sub and left pre-existing copies region-free.

I get the distinct feeling that nobody at Valve has ever heard of programmatic process automation. From my perspective (and I will admit, I don't know much about the internal workings at Valve) but it seems like it would be easy to write a script that could carry this out on the few thousand subs that already exist without ACRTAG then propagate the necessary changes to other parts of the back-end.

Sure it'd be complicated to set up initially and would require a lot of testing, but it's not exactly Earth-shattering stuff. Lots of companies do this sort of thing all the time. For example, when migrating from one system to another.

madjoki

I get the distinct feeling that nobody at Valve has ever heard of programmatic process automation. From my perspective (and I will admit, I don't know much about the internal workings at Valve) but it seems like it would be easy to write a script that could carry this out on the few thousand subs that already exist without ACRTAG then propagate the necessary changes to other parts of the back-end.

Sure it'd be complicated to set up initially and would require a lot of testing, but it's not exactly Earth-shattering stuff. Lots of companies do this sort of thing all the time. For example, when migrating from one system to another.

Would be possible just to have ARCTAG mark gift, so it doesn't affect retroactively. I assume gifts can contain metadata, which would make it possible.

JaseC

Yeah, Valve does have the measures in place to apply region restrictions regardless of sub setups as this nasty bug reared its head at the beginning of the year:

SteamDB can only glean so much.

Dr Dogg

Having not bought ds2 yet, I'll have to keep an eye on which version to actually get. If the screens are anything to go by, I may be best with the original and gedosato. That said, I don't know if bamco will pull the original or something to sell the new one at an inflated price. I best keep an eye in that too I guess

Well being Steamworks even if the initial version gets pulled for the newer one there should be plenty of retail copies about. The smallish Tesco by me has a few copies of DSII, even has the Prepare to Die Edition with the the art book and other physical bits and bobs for the first Dark Souls for £9. Worth keeping an eye on the situation and there's no real need to rush into anything just yet if at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom