• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V introducing "PS4 Console Exclusive Game" branding

Just how angry are you about the SFV PS4 Console Exclusive branding?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Most people who aren't aware that this is on PC probably wouldn't purchase it on PC either

The average consumer that thinks that way does not have a computer that can handle this game, therefore that point is moot.

Does this average consumer have a gaming PC?

Street Fighter V system requirements:

OS Version:

Recommended: Windows 7 64-bit

Processor:

Minimum: Intel Core i3-4160 @ 3.60GHz

Recommended: Intel Core i5-4690K @3.50GHz

Memory:

Minimum: 6 GB DDR3

Recommended: 8 GB DDR3

Graphics:

Minimum: Nvidia GTX 480 (or higher), Nvidia GTX 570 (or higher), Nvidia GTX 670 (or higher)

Recommended: GTX 960

Network:

Broadband Connection Required

DirectX Version

Minimum: DirectX 11

Recommended: DirectX 11

Sound Card:

Minimum: DirectX compatible soundcard or onboard chipset.

These are not high specs. A lot of computers out there could run the game, including quite a few laptops. So yes, there is a decent possibility that the average consumer would have a PC capable of running the game.

OS Version:

Processor:

Memory:

Graphics:

Minimum: Nvidia GTX 480 (or higher), Nvidia GTX 570 (or higher), Nvidia GTX 670 (or higher)

Network:

DirectX Version

Sound Card:

These are not high specs. A lot of computers out there could run the game, including quite a few laptops. So yes, there is a decent possibility that the average consumer would have a PC capable of running the game.
The average consumer owns a laptop PC, many of which don't even have nVidia cards in them let alone 8gb of ram.

Durante

I'm all for these marketing shenanigans if they convince console platform holders that preventing a PC release is not worth the cost.

I really never look at game covers so I don't give a shit how it looks.

Btw, what's the outrage about?

That the box does not explicitly state SFV will be on PC lol.

Ehh I see the "average" consumer committing to PC (with those specs) to play SFV because its not on XB1 being incredibly miniscule.

Gbraga

I'm all for these marketing shenanigans if they convince console platform holders that preventing a PC release is not worth the cost.

Agreed. I don't get why some people are always upset because the PC isn't considered an equal. That's what is allowing us to get games like SF V in the first place!

You can bet it wouldn't even be up for consideration if Sony saw the PC as a competing market.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
How is it misleading?

How is anyone confused by this?

I doubt any GAFfer is confused by it, but I'd wager J6P walking into Walmart or whatever might be.

If you were an Xbox One owner with a decent PC, you could potentially walk in, see that cover and think "Shit, I can't get this on PC at least?"

Not saying it's LIKELY, but it's possible.

GHG

Gold Member

OS Version:

Processor:

Memory:

Graphics:

Network:

DirectX Version

Sound Card:

You're mad if you genuinely think the average consumer has a PC that meets the minimum specs. Most people don't even have a dedicated GPU.

http://wccftech.com/steam-hardware-survey-shows-1080p-majority-intel-hd-4000-gpu/

And that's from people who even use steam (which is still not the majority of PC owners).

The game is on PC that's why, even though it's not a "console", the game is still there. Most of people that are not informed and read this will really think that the game is not on PC.

Not quite...it may, and I say MAY mislead someone but it's certainly not dishonest.

They indeed did since PC is a console now.

Right here folks is the issue at hand or rather the misunderstanding and disparity between PC and what a "Console" is. Sony are playing off the language that PC is not classed as a console. It's a Personal Computer that you use for computing, which one facet of said computing can be playing Video Games.

A games Console is a platform that's main focus in playing video games. This is the conception that Sony is using with this Logo, and are at worst telling a white lie which as it means is based on true.

It is indeed muddy water to some as it is not total transparency, but a clear understanding isn't always good for business. No harm, no foul.

Not guilty.

FHIZ

I doubt any GAFfer is confused by it, but I'd wager J6P walking into Walmart or whatever might be.

If you were an Xbox One owner with a decent PC, you could potentially walk in, see that cover and think "Shit, I can't get this on PC at least?"

If you're walking into a Walmart to buy games, you're not intending to buy PC games to begin with. Because if you have a PC built for gaming, you clearly know how and where to buy PC games, and it's not Walmart.

Come on now people, there is literally no reason to give this a second thought.

I really never look at game covers so I don't give a shit how it looks.

This. My boxes are rarely in viewing position and so I couldn't care less about the box art. However...

The blue strap at the top ruins all box art. So yeah, small logo in the top right is akin to someone stepping on my chips *after* they've pissed in 'em.

RK128

While console exclusive would of been enough, hammering home that "This ISN'T releasing on Xbox One guys" would help sell the game more.

I guess 'Console Exclusive' would of been enough for me personally; less in your face and more "Oh, okay. I can play this on my PS4 :)".

Not dishonest. Just misleading.

Okay, I'll bite on these baits.

How?

PC owners are already up to date on these things because they have Steam. You really think that's going to deter people? A statement on a box?

Maybe like five people will be confused. The rest will either do a quick google search to confirm, already know the deal, or have known forever. This isn't going to cause some sort of mass panic or confusion between consumers.

Agreed. I don't get why some people are always upset because the PC isn't considered an equal. That's what is allowing us to get games like SF V in the first place!

You can bet it wouldn't even be up for consideration if Sony saw the PC as a competing market.

They obviously see it as a competing market or they wouldn't put this on the box.

sam777

I see why some are saying it us misleading as the "PS4 Console" is bolded but "exclusive game" is not, which makes it look like a PS4 exclusive.

Lucky for Sony that everyone goes down to their local game store to check the shelves for which games are available on each platform.

It's really paid off for Sony to write "PS4 Console Exclusive Game" on the box because people don't use review sites, game forums, google, metacritic, Steam or any other of the multitude of ways to procure that information.

GHG

Gold Member
Lucky for Sony that everyone goes down to their local game store to check the shelves for which games are available on each platform.

It's really paid off for Sony to write "PS4 Console Exclusive Game" on the box because people don't use review sites, game forums, google, metacritic, Steam or any other of the multitude of ways to procure that information.

We really do live in a pre-internet society.

Neoxon

I just wish that we had either of these two pieces of art as the box art for Street Fighter V, instead.

CYgFQ3aUQAA6raG.png:large
U8kLHWx.jpg

Nothing against the quality of the art that's already being used, but having only Ryu is a bit dull. Understandable, but still dull.

Spinifex

Who's outraged? I'm saying in a very calm, rational manner that this is phrased vaguely.

Obviously Sony aren't going to put 'Only on PS4 and PC' nor should they, but lets drop the facade that 'PS4 Console Exclusive Game' is some sort of supremely clear message that everybody will understand immediately.

Makes sense tbh, only way to play sf5 on consoles so the label isn't a lie

If it said "only for" it'd be dishonest but it doesn't so the label fits

But honestly I could care less, just a random label

N.Domixis

Banned
the obly people to blaim are the ones that came up with console exclusive. Now sony will use it and it will appear on so many games.

Gbraga

They obviously see it as a competing market or they wouldn't put this on the box.

They put this on the box because it would be straight up false advertising if they didn't specify, and exactly because they still consider the fact that it's not on Xbox and WiiU more important than the fact that the game is out in another platform.

And then do you think, being enough of a SF to go looking for it in a shop, that theoretical shopper would not then look on the internet/check the PC shelves/phone a friend/ask a member of staff/check the internet and/or SteamApp to see what was up.

Or would they just shrug and go 'oh well, no SF5 for me'

Who's outraged? I'm saying in a very calm, rational manner that this is phrased vaguely.

Obviously Sony aren't going to put 'Only on PS4 and PC' nor should they, but lets drop the facade that 'PS4 Console Exclusive Game' is some sort of supremely clear message that everybody will understand immediately.

There's a very small subset of people who won't get it.

Marvel

could never
I just wish that we had either of these two pieces of art as the box art for Street Fighter V, instead.

CYgFQ3aUQAA6raG.png:large
U8kLHWx.jpg

Nothing against the quality of the art that's already being used, but having only Ryu is a bit dull. Understandable, but still dull.
Yeah, with you on that.

salromano

If they wanna do this, it'd be better if they just added "and PC" to the current "Only on PlayStation" branding. That way it's not as in-your-face and the look is consistent.

Chobel

PS4 CONSOLE
EXCLUSIVE GAME

This reads like the game is exclusive to the PS4 console, not that it's a game coming out to PC as well.

It's misleading to say the least, but then again, not the first time sony does this kinda of stuff.

Are you freaking kidding me? "PS4 CONSOLE" is now PS4 exclusive?

EDIT: Oh fuck! I see it now. Please ignore.

Who cares if it's "confusing" ( I don't see it really). You know it's also on PC, just buy it on PC, my god. Game runs 60 fps on both platforms and is crossplay. Who cares if $platform sells less copies.

Kuraudo

Banned
If they wanna do this, it'd be better if they just added "and PC" to the current "Only on PlayStation" branding. That way it's not as in-your-face and the look is consistent.

They should really put a "Also available cheaper on PC" label with a QR code linking people straight to the Steam page.

Footos22

I doubt someone with an xbox or pc would even be looking at the PS4 section to see what they can get on their platform of choice to start with. Second if they were a PC gamer it takes all of 5 seconds to search steam.

The internet is a wonderful place and also full of dumbasses.

Top Bottom