• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supercell revenues nears $2bn for 2014

This game was boring as shit when I last tried it ( ~6 months ago)

What the hell is the appeal? I just cannot stand the wait unless you pay mechanic. Feel like I am missing something that everyone else must see.

they aren't meant to be "played" in long bursts, you just open up the App when you're taking a dump, or waiting for the bus, or in the elevator.

Click on a few things to progress your game, or atleast the game is well made enough that you "feel" like you're making progress towards something.

Then don't do anything until you have another 30 seconds of waiting somewhere in your life to click on another few things.

The style of these games is not comparable to any other classic games beyond Email-Chess or something.

I play the Square-Enix version of this that's a combination of Pokemon and Hearthstone called Deadman's Cross. You just collect cards and build a deck to fight other players in a totally meaningless arena automatically. It just requires a few taps every 2 hours beyond a hunting minigame.

I have no idea what game this is or the company. I've learned that they come and go so fast that I tune them out. Ever since FarmVille.

Arttemis

The acceptance of this formula, in this forum of all places, is pretty shocking to me. Obviously the income numbers meant the mainstream audience has bought into it, but if the frequenters of this forum, who usually stand for a much more varied and niche segment of gaming, is all about this game, I truly fear for the future of gaming.

Everything locked behind timewalls... microtransactions in everything. I'm thankful it failed with Dead Space 3, but with this kind of sentiment here, I'm positive it'll contaminate so much more of the industry.

Mobile is growing at a really fast rate every year. There´s no crash any time soon.

Do you know what a crash means? It's usually the result of a fad phenomenon that grows at a really fast rate every year... and then the fad moves on and it's left hollow. Mobile development has grown consistently as a whole, but individual games' success is a lottery, where a few lucky games out of millions are chosen to be popular with the zeitgeist, then they're abandoned. It happens to individual games all the time, and I wouldn't be surprised if it happens to the mobile f2p economy at some point, too. People are fickle.

Loofy

The game is actually pretty exciting if youre in an active clan. So exciting that its actually stressful.
I was in this one clan where chat would just blow up in the final hour of war, everyone would be watching everyones attacks live and nitpicking after. One time we lost and some members just had complete meltdowns. I quit that clan, my heart couldnt take anymore of the 1 star losses.

This is to gaming what Big Bang Theory is to television, what Transformers is to film, what One Direction is to music - a mockery of the medium, an abomination that is inexplicably popular, that generates a lot of revenue and thus forces others to flock to the same formula.

I've never seen The Big Bang Theory but I thought it was quite well liked?

DeaviL

Banned
301840_v1.jpg

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, because Nintendo always planned to prostitute their IPs out to mobile development

And Square Enix.
And Sega.

and so on and so forth.

CoC might be a good game, but the success is only going to force companies to make rash decisions like abandoning consoles for mobile or at the minimum focusing hard on mobile when the money might not be there.

groshkar

Personally I avoid games that attempt to monetize my time. Between commuting, work and family the time I have is precious enough without somebody trying to monetize it.

I did try a game similar to Clash once, right up until the point when I realized that the person who was continually raiding me would always be enough ahead of me to do this as much as they wanted. The advantage they had of more time in the game was worth more than any bit of strategy could reasonably overcome, and my only recourse was to spend money to make up time. It was that moment, when I realized that there would be no real victory unless I was willing to devote the most time and money to the game that I uninstalled it.

I'd rather give $60 to Ready at Dawn to support that business model.

Yes, because Nintendo always planned to prostitute their IPs out to mobile development

First of all there are plenty of quality games on mobile. And secondly it´s not the consumer´s fault for not buying Nintendo hardware or software. Nintendo prostitute their IPs anyway, might as well get much more profit from it since the user base is huge.

Actually, Two and a Half men would have been a better example. BBT has enough referenced and in-jokes to be enjoyed
2 and half men is very enjoyable.

SmokyDave

That's quite a lot of money. Crazy growth over '13 too.

Good luck with next years figures. Hard to keep that up.
Boom Beach seems to be doing very well for them, and neither CoC or Hay Day look like they're falling off. I reckon they'll be alright for a while.

SmokyDave

Nice. That's fucking gross.

I bet that's from a tutorial screen where you're given a gem specifically to see how it works. Not that the business model is any different, but I suspect you don't normally see the large arrow or the chick telling you not to be stingy.

Kalliban

Neo Member
i am very addicted to this game. I play it all the time @ work. I spent 20$ on it.

this is really a very well made f2p game. they deserve it.

already level 91 Town Hall level 10.

is there a Neogaf clan ?

I would love to join one if there are decent players in it

Yup, search for neogaf. Right now we have 8748 points and 12 members, a lot of people left not too long ago, so more gaffers are always welcome!

Also, check the OT!

I have spent $10 on this game total and im lvl 120 and have reached champion level in trophies. You don't have to spend a lot or anything at all to really enjoy this game and move up and accomplish things. Sure it will speed things up but its not necessary. The gameplay itself isn't what keeps it popular anyways. It's the social aspects. When you are in a good clan where you know everyone and learn more about them over time then it is a good time. My wife, who plays few video games, has been playing for over two years and is a higher lvl than I am. Its not because she really likes launching gowipe attacks. She likes the people she is playing with.

They are also morally pretty awesome company so I have no problems with them succeeding. They gave 3.4 million euros from their own pockets for building new childrens hospital here in Finland and are one of the rare big companies that pay all their taxes to Finland without using tax paradises.

I bet that's from a tutorial screen where you're given a gem specifically to see how it works. Not that the business model is any different, but I suspect you don't normally see the large arrow or the chick telling you not to be stingy.
It is from the tutorial. You don't have to spend gems on anything later on if you don't want to. It's only a time saver. I have around 4k gems and rarely ever spend them on anything except when there is a 1 gem collector boost special or when I need to boost a spell factory. You also get gems for free pretty regularly by cutting down trees and getting achievements.

jcm

I don't understand the anger about things like this. If it doesn't appeal to you, don't play it. It's not some signifier of the death of gaming.

Damerman

Gameoverman!.gif

Honestly... I just want star citizen to come out so i can ignore the rest of this industry.

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't understand the anger about things like this. If it doesn't appeal to you, don't play it. It's not some signifier of the death of gaming.
The fear is that with the rising costs of AAA/console development, publishers are going feel increasingly reluctant to spend a ton of money on console games and will reorganize their plans and studios to be more mobile focused where the potential profits are massively more appealing from a business perspective.

Anth0ny

This is to gaming what Big Bang Theory is to television, what Transformers is to film, what One Direction is to music - a mockery of the medium, an abomination that is inexplicably popular, that generates a lot of revenue and thus forces others to flock to the same formula.

So true lol

I'm sure the bubble will burst soon.

Ocho

The fear is that with the rising costs of AAA/console development, publishers are going feel increasingly reluctant to spend a ton of money on console games and will reorganize their plans and studios to be more mobile focused where the potential profits are massively more appealing from a business perspective.

They still need to make a good game, you know.

Arttemis

Even if publishers don't shift to the mobile industry, the creep of microtransactions is only going to make a larger presence in console gaming so long as there are billions to be made from them. $90 games when season passes are included are bad enough, but monetization for unlocking timewalls in addition to that... Disgusting.

kimbaka

It's a fun game if you play with friends. Clan Wars are awesome, especially when it's a close match up coming down to the final hour.

Good for Supercell, as a fellow countryman I'm proud of their achievement. As a gamer I'm a bit cautious about them since I don't do mobile games, but apparently a lot of people do.

Mobile gaming "bubble" will only burst if people stop spending money on mobile games. For that to happen, they have to have some other place where they spend their money. That is either another game or form of entertainment. Is there a form of entertainment coming that will replace mobile gaming? Because I don't see mobile gaming going away any time soon.

Only crashes that will happen are gaming company crashes when their core mobile game goes out of fashion. But the empty void left by that crash will be filled by another game from another company, skyrocketing that company to riches and glory.

kiguel182

I've been playing CoC lately. Is a good way to do a small break from whatever I'm doing. It's a little boring and there's nothing really to do but that's kind of the point. It's just a skinner box.

Arttemis

They still need to make a good game, you know.

Quality isn't the deciding factor for monetization success; addiction is. CoC is rivaling GTA revenue... Are you saying the games are similar in quality?

It's all about accessibility and addiction.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Quality isn't the deciding factor for monetization success; addiction is. CoC is rivaling GTA revenue... Are you saying the games are similar in quality?

It's all about accessibility and addiction.

How would you define quality, though? Perhaps the better question is, did you receive more hours of enjoyment out of a game?

Longsword

Wow, that's more revenue than ALL of Ubisoft combined (Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs, Just Dance Far Cry et all), and far, FAR more proift. And with just 140 people. Staggering.

Supercell is pulling its weight in Finland ethically by paying its taxes without tax havens and contributing to society (like the children's hospital), so I have few issues with this. I wish other game companies shared their fortune with society a bit more too.

Top Bottom