• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supercell revenues nears $2bn for 2014

Which is different from other more traditional games how?

There are loads of traditional games (including many in the strategy genre) that are a complete blast to play from the first stage onwards. I guess that's what I expect even from mobile games. I'm not a fan of the "waiting" stuff at all, even if the timers are running when the game isn't being played.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Sure, but that's all a matter of taste. I can think of plenty of non-mobile games that bored me to tears, while everyone else couldn't get enough of them. This isn't necessarily a function of the skill or time required.

Opiate

Clash of clans is the epitome of everything wrong with the gaming industry. It is the harbinger of it's doom.

I think "I don't personally like it" would be fine. Clash of Clans isn't dooming the industry any more than Kurt Cobain doomed true rock music.

It's unfortunate you don't like it, but then, I probably don't like the games you play, and I certainly don't like today's AAA industry. I deal.

Opiate

There are loads of traditional games (including many in the strategy genre) that are a complete blast to play from the first stage onwards. I guess that's what I expect even from mobile games. I'm not a fan of the "waiting" stuff at all, even if the timers are running when the game isn't being played.

That's fine, if the games don't appeal to you, don't play them. But it's also fine if others do enjoy them.

Sure, but that's all a matter of taste. I can think of plenty of non-mobile games that bored me to tears, while everyone else couldn't get enough of them. This isn't necessarily a function of the skill or time required.

I think what's going on -- not just in this thread, but generally when people react with such hostility to mobile gaming -- is that they're worried that the mainstream games industry might not cater to them in 10 years. If games like Clash of Clans are a harbinger of the future, then that may mean the future of popular gaming isn't for them.

And that's true, that's possible. Just as it's quite possible that I won't like the pop music 10 years from now or the pop fiction 10 years from now -- times change, while individual people's tastes generally stay the same over their life time. Of course, that's easy for me to accept, because I haven't enjoyed popular gaming for some time; I can't think of the last AAA game I played and enjoyed (actually yes I can, it was StarCraft 2 vanilla). Yes, as time moves on, eventually pop culture no longer centers around you. That's true of music, it's true of movies, and it's true of games, too. I don't really have a solution to this issue any more than I have a solution to the fact that you are aging and will eventually die.

Matush

People bashing other people for liking this or that game? Come on guys. I've been playing CoC for over a year and didn't spend a single penny on it. No need to hate others tho.

Top Bottom