• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The awful "knocking your opponent midair over and over again" in fighting games.

n051de

I really hate how the bodies look when juggling in NRS games. All(most) others I'm perfectly ok with and doesn't really look bad to me.

Dre3001

Personally, I think the realism argument doesnt make sense considering, most fighting games have crazy rosters involving animals, robots, demons, and ninjas,etc. Thats not too mention the fireballs, weapons, etc that these characters use in a match.

In terms of being unfair, it takes a ton of skill to actually know the correct attacks (Light, medium, and Hard) and damage to maintain a long juggle of an opponent. In addition to being able to know each characters bread and butter combos so that you dont get hit with a simple launcher also takes some skill.

So basically this topic comes down to "git gud".

Manbig

I don't really know why juggling people in the air became such a fighting game trope. In Tekken it looks especially silly because they do a great job of making the hits have real weight, but at the same time they have people bouncing like a beach ball. There's a inconsistency there I've never liked.

Mechanically, punishing the other player with combos could be done just as a series of ground attacks where the other player staggers back.

Tekken's grounded hits that combo (natural combos or counter hit combos) are designed in such a way that putting juggle style rewards to all of them would completely ruin the balance of the game. It's not just something that you can simply tweak damage changes to either. There's a lot of considerations in juggles like setting up oki follow ups, wall carry, setting up positioning in regards to wall placement, size of opponent changing your combos, and other things that I'm probably forgetting.

The juggles are necessary. If people don't like that, then don't play Tekken. There's lots of other fighting games out there that handle things differently.

Ferrio

Banned
I don't really know why juggling people in the air became such a fighting game trope. In Tekken it looks especially silly because they do a great job of making the hits have real weight, but at the same time they have people bouncing like a beach ball. There's a inconsistency there I've never liked.

Mechanically, punishing the other player with combos could be done just as a series of ground attacks where the other player staggers back.

Juggles allow for a lot more freeform combos and variety. 3D fighters tend to rely on them heavily due to their systems not meshing very well with link/cancel type combo systems.

Strings that naturally combo already are already a "stagger back" type of combo, and there's *plenty* of those in 3D fighters.

Not to mention basic juggle combos are easy to do, which allows beginners to feel like they're accomplishing something.

LordKasual

Banned
What, I've even said in this thread I liked juggling.

that wasnt directed at you, just the thread in general

Guilty Gear has characters that are literally designed to reset you to death on first knockdown lol

if someone would complain about getting juggled, then i cant imagine how they would react to basic Millia pressure after getting sweeped

Manbig

Also, just in case any of you are assuming that juggles dominate high level play in Tekken, they really don't. Look up any sets with the best players in the world and you'll see that the majority of the damage comes from pokes, strings, or hard hitting whiff punishes. Setting up launchers for juggles against a high level opponent is actually very difficult.

Personally, I think the realism argument doesnt make sense considering, most fighting games have crazy rosters involving animals, robots, demons, and ninjas,etc. Thats not too mention the fireballs, weapons, etc that these characters use in a match.

In terms of being unfair, it takes a ton of skill to actually know the correct attacks (Light, medium, and Hard) and damage to maintain a long juggle of an opponent. In addition to being able to know each characters bread and butter combos so that you dont get hit with a simple launcher also takes some skill.

So basically this topic comes down to "git gud".

I've been biting my tongue to not say this for the sake of discussion. We already got a dumbed down sfv and some still find it hard.. MVCI is following the same steps yet some will drop it after they get some L's online. Some just don't have the patience to learn and some just can't overcome the salt. People want to do cool shit with the less minimum effort requiered aka instant gratification it doesn't work that way.

LordKasual

Banned
Juggling has always looked kinda whack, but that's how the cookie crumbles. I'd rather have them put the time into other stuff than making the juggle animation look good. Although NRS games are really something else.

I think Tekken actually does a decent enough job of making it look good. There are alot more than just one "juggle" animation.

I think T6's bound combos looked kind of silly in most cases, but the spinning hitstun it was replaced with in 7 looks neat enough.

Anyway, has anyone posted a gif of that Tekken movie where Heihachi is doing a videogame-style air juggle on Kazuya? Its glorious

WiseguyMVP

Yeah I mean other than juggles fighting games are usually pretty realistic.

Funny.

I don't know why but I haven't been into fighting games for years. Maybe because it's the timing/combos you have to learn and I'm getting older, or the comical over the top fake fighting.
I can definitely see the appeal for people that like the genre though.

Tekken's grounded hits that combo (natural combos or counter hit combos) are designed in such a way that putting juggle style rewards to all of them would completely ruin the balance of the game. It's not just something that you can simply tweak damage changes to either. There's a lot of considerations in juggles like setting up oki follow ups, wall carry, setting up positioning in regards to wall placement, size of opponent changing your combos, and other things that I'm probably forgetting.

The juggles are necessary. If people don't like that, then don't play Tekken. There's lots of other fighting games out there that handle things differently.

Juggles aren't "necessary", they are a design decision. If you took juggles out of Tekken, you'd still have a winner and a loser in every match, and people would probably still have fun.

Manbig

Juggles aren't "necessary", they are a design decision. If you took juggles out of Tekken, you'd still have a winner and a loser in every match, and people would probably still have fun.

Of course there would be a winner and loser in every match. You're not really saying anything at all with that comment.

My point was that they are necessary for the state of the game's balance. People that want juggles out of Tekken are basically asking for the equivalent of removing one of a dog's legs. It's completely absurd and is missing the point of why they are in the game in the first place. It's not just about the visual. I made that quite clear.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Not exactly, but look at Soul Calibur, it managed just fine with minimalistic juggles.

This person has no clue about Soul Calibur, a game where characters can juggle to ringour from the starting position on the stage.

nkarafo

Virtua Fighter juggles look a lot more awkward than Tekken juggles, because the characters are naturally floaty without even being hit in the air. Based on what you said in your own OP, I would imagine that VF would be your least favorite visually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Eyss96iWog
I only played one VF game (i think it was 4?) and don't remember many things. But the gif the other guy posted is from VF 2 arcade i think.

ChrisSTARR

Neo Member
A lot of the problem seems to come from being helpless. As an Vs player, I totally understand that being caught in a 10 second combo is frustrating.

but it's important to understand that if you're being combo'd, you fucked up somewhere and you are now paying the consequence and your opponent is being rewarded.

In my opinion, fighting games could solve this by increasing damage scaling. The longer the combo, the less damage it does. This changes the focus from comboing your opponent to resets. Resets are usually the most exciting part of fighting games anyway, and it would be more fun for both players and more exciting for those watching.

mbpm1

A lot of the problem seems to come from being helpless. As an Vs player, I totally understand that being caught in a 10 second combo is frustrating.

but it's important to understand that if you're being combo'd, you fucked up somewhere and you are now paying the consequence and your opponent is being rewarded.

In my opinion, fighting games could solve this by increasing damage scaling. The longer the combo, the less damage it does. This changes the focus from comboing your opponent to resets. Resets are usually the most exciting part of fighting games anyway, and it would be more fun for both players and more exciting for those watching.

They could take the route one game did I saw, where the long combos scale, and the infinites actually heal the opponent after a while instead of damaging them

Skilletor

This person has no clue about Soul Calibur, a game where characters can juggle to ringour from the starting position on the stage.

Eh...only Hilde could do that in sc4. Juggles in SC have become more prevalent, but most combos are on the ground.

They could take the route one game did I saw, where the long combos scale, and the infinites actually heal the opponent after a while instead of damaging them
Ha! Now THAT is an anti-infinite mechanic I can get behind. I enjoy the infinities no doubt, but I think it's more of the showcase of skill and dexterity to keep it up. Once a game reaches a certain age, and all the top level players can do the infinities, that's the only time I start not liking them as much.

Manbig

I only played one VF game (i think it was 4?) and don't remember many things. But the gif the other guy posted is from VF 2 arcade i think.

I'll put it this way...

In that gif, Akira does a shoulder on Sarah in a juggled state. It only barely registers on her model.

If someone like say Paul were to do a shoulder, or even better a deathfist on an opponent in a juggle state, it would send them flying away and, in the case of deathfist, they'll hit the floor and be forced into rolling back due to the impact momentum of the move. This is far more visually appealing in my opinion.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Eh...only Hilde could do that in sc4. Juggles in SC have become more prevalent, but most combos are on the ground.

Ivy can do this in some versions as well, Cervantes comes pretty close. Soul Calibur has plenty of air juggles in general.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I'll put it this way...

In that gif, Akira does a shoulder on Sarah in a juggled state. It only barely registers on her model.

If someone like say Paul were to do a shoulder, or even better a deathfist on an opponent in a juggle state, it would send them flying away and, in the case of deathfist, they'll hit the floor and be forced into rolling back due to the impact momentum of the move. This is far more visually appealing in my opinion.

That gif is from VF2 which came out in 1994

5PBusyq.gif

There are many hit-specific animations in VF

Its a bad game convention that continues just because.

Combos on general are such bullshit nonsensical game design that has became far too entrenched in fighting games.

Its not going away probably ever(unless I somehow get to design a fighting game)

Just don't get hit.

There's 9 pages to this thread and I don't have time on my lunch break to read them all. But, has anyone mentioned that part of the awkward animating during juggles is because if the character model ragdolled during a combo it would lead to combo inconsistency?

If a character's mid air hit state remains mostly the same it means the same combo should work on them multiple times. If they are slumping and flipping around mid air your combo string might work once, but then miss a 2nd time for no good reason.

It's hard enough accounting for multiple character's hitbox size, weight, etc. in game without adding extra layers of complication.

There's 9 pages to this thread and I don't have time on my lunch break to read them all. But, has anyone mentioned that part of the awkward animating during juggles is because if the character model ragdolled during a combo it would lead to combo inconsistency?

If a character's mid air hit state remains mostly the same it means the same combo should work on them multiple times. If they are slumping and flipping around mid air your combo string might work once, but then miss a 2nd time for no good reason.

It's hard enough accounting for multiple character's hitbox size, weight, etc. In game without adding extra layers of complication for no good reason.

Of course not, people want everyone to be grounded.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Yeah, but we're talking about juggle states, not strings with staggers, wall splats, and resplats.
Same deal, "juggle state" typically lasts only 1 or 2 hits ever since bounds were added in 5R, and even before then "juggle" combos were very short.
Also don't just look at the wall hits, Brad is reacting to hits in different ways.

Spladam

So...the new killer instinct then?

Killer Instinct still does that, and Dead or Alive has something similar if I'm not mistaken. It completely changes how the game plays though, and in no way should be a standard mechanic for the entire genre.
I have not played the new Killer Instinct, but I assumed they stuck with the traditional RPS combo breaker system, and insanely long ultra combos.
i made this gif :D
GAF's resident Virtua Fighter expert.

Of course there would be a winner and loser in every match. You're not really saying anything at all with that comment.

My point was that they are necessary for the state of the game's balance. People that want juggles out of Tekken are basically asking for the equivalent of removing one of a dog's legs. It's completely absurd and is missing the point of why they are in the game in the first place. It's not just about the visual. I made that quite clear.

Obviously I meant that Tekken would have to be rebalanced if juggles were taken out, but it would still be a fun, competitive game without them. I'm not necessarily arguing that they should be taken out, but Tekken is already complex enough tactically that it wouldn't be ruined without them.

Ferrio

Banned
Obviously I meant that Tekken would have to be rebalanced if juggles were taken out, but it would still be a fun, competitive game without them. I'm not necessarily arguing that they should be taken out, but Tekken is already complex enough tactically that it wouldn't be ruined without them.

Fun? Sure. Drastically less fun? Yes. So what's the point?

mbpm1

Fun? Sure. Drastically less fun? Yes. So what's the point?
Pretty much my feeling for any suggestion of removing combos totally.

You could play chess with one pawn too, and still have a good game perhaps, but it's just removing things without adding things. Removing things without compensation never feels good.

Cutting down on long combos is a different thing though.

Juggles are sick. Also, why complain about the unrealistic look of them when you have characters like this doing them?

Idk, it just seems nitpicky to me. Especially when they're mechanically fun as fuck to pull off.

jacobeid

Banned
I've been playing fighting games since SF2 and juggling animations have never bothered me.

Like, why do I care about how realistic it is when I'm playing fucking Marvel? It's already nuts.

Bergerac

This is something that I feel is being overlooked. The combos, the juggling, all of the "long strings" people are complaining about are usually the results of lots, and lots of practice. You don't want to feel helpless and get juggled all over the place like a set of clubs handled by a clown? Then put in some work. Out playing your opponent is what fighting games are all about.

Put in some work? Against what, a fast Lee Chaolan launcher? That's all it takes.

Juggles require a launcher and then a memorised input. That's it. They require no branching guesswork because juggles don't allow much in the way for combo breakers from your opponent.

That's the point.

It's not like the 10 hit combo system that they ditched, which could allow for back and forth.

Manbig

They already did that. It's called Tekken 4 and most people hated it.

Same deal, "juggle state" typically lasts only 1 or 2 hits ever since bounds were added in 5R, and even before then "juggle" combos were very short.
Also don't just look at the wall hits, Brad is reacting to hits in different ways.

The shortness of the juggle is the one saving grace, and the only reason it exists is to make sure that the combos are short. I understand that. I'm just saying that based on the OPs comnents, that is the most butt ugly example.

Also once again, in the context of this thread, your gif doesn't really mean anything. People are talking about straight up juggles. Most 3D games have solid animations for odd angle hits and different hit reactions based on the way the move hits.

Ferrio

Banned
Put in some work? Against what, a fast Lee Chaolan launcher? That's all it takes.

Juggles require a launcher and then a memorised input. That's it. They require no branching guesswork because juggles don't allow much in the way for combo breakers from your opponent.

That's the point.

It's not like the 10 hit combo system that they ditched, which could allow for back and forth.

Juggle combos are a lot more involved than just memorized input. There's weight, distance, angles, stage obstacles that all need to be taken in account on the fly.

Also the 10 hit combos were horrible. They were just pre-canned strings that could easily be interrupted as long as you knew the gaps.

I don't understand this hate for juggles when they're just a combo, and if you hate combos then just say that.

Top Bottom