• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Last of Us: Remastered' coming to PS4, July 2014, [1080p, targeting 60 fps]

jediyoshi

30fps lock option means framerate is fluctuating a bit below 60fps most likely.

It could literally be the complete opposite in that the framerate is now so pronounced, it becomes jarring if you've become accustomed to the original upper limit.

Making no qualms about it during actual gameplay, for a game this cutscene centric and for how averse people are to HFR films, I find it weird how often people only ever look at it from a qualitative perspective.

@javi__andres:
https://twitter.com/javi__andres
The Last of Us sold 200k copies in Spain/Portugal, fastest selling exclusive Sony IP.
7M worldwide.
NUyttbn.gif

san00ake

Don't want to add fuel to the fire, but the 30 fps lock is probably because the game fluctuates between 30-60 (like Infamous Second Son).
If they added that because of artistic reasons, they would have also added a 24 fps lock to make it even more cinematic and give people the opportunity to experience the game in a new light.
That being said, I do hope they reach the holy grail.
Probably won't buy though. I loved the game but suffered through every bit of it. Give me some humor and colors.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
When you consider that their entire stated goal for performance for this game was 60 FPS as an ideal target and the precedent set by the original game that shows ND prioritized consistent image quality over consistent performance, it is extremely likely that the 30 FPS lock was implemented much earlier in development and is not reflective of any optimization gains made since then. Considering the relative ease of implementing a FPS cap option when compared to the entire optimization effort, as well as the knowledge that such a cap would be necessary if optimization couldn't get the game to a solid 60 FPS, it would make sense for a team as skilled as Naughty Dog to implement such a cap early on in development, before they could know where the final performance of the game would end up.

Therefore, the current existence of an option to lock at 30 FPS, by itself, does not indicate much about the average FPS the final product will run at.

Guymelef

Ok, the previous things comes from Spanish presentation.
Another thing.
Day one patch will add "screen capture tool" no more details.
Photo Mode?

viveks86

It seems like the lighting improvements and the high res models from the cut scenes are not mentioned in the slides for some reason. Other than that, I'm excited to know that they have integrated the DS4 speaker. After KZ and transistor, I'm now convinced that the thing can make a big difference.

Ok, the previous things comes from Spanish presentation.
Another thing.
Day one patch will add "screen capture tool" no more details.
Photo Mode?

Where's that mentioned?

Guymelef

It seems like the lighting improvements and the high res models from the cut scenes are not mentioned in the slides for some reason. Other than that, I'm excited to know that they have integrated the DS4 speaker. After KZ and transistor, I'm now convinced that the thing can make a big difference.

Where's that mentioned?

http://www.vandal.net/noticia/1350653311/confirmado-the-last-of-us-remastered-a-1080p-y-60-imagenes-por-segundo/

Por último, también sabemos que el día 1 habrá una actualización que incluirá un "herramienta de capturas de pantalla", aunque no tenemos más detalles sobre ésta.

barit

WOW sounds amazing. Wonder what the Touch Pad utilize. But whats up with the additional Addon in 2014 ? I thought we are done with DLC. That´s why I order the US version. If ND really plan to release some Coop DLC I´m gonna be mad ! Super mad I tell ya !

have no fake US account and don´t want one

Persona7

Banned
DLC is on the disk.

Where was this confirmed? I find it hard to believe that they managed to take the PS3 version of the game and added cutscene videos that run at twice the framerate and 1080p AND all the DLC. Left Behind is 5.2GB alone. This only matters to me because my friend is buying this game and lives in a rural area with DSL internet that is very slow.

The base PS3 version is 43GB and that is with heavily compressed 720p cutscene videos.

Boss Mog

30fps lock option is very dissapointing. I doubt it's there for those that want that "cinematic feel (lol)". It most likely means that it's not a stable 60fps which makes me very sad. I guess I'll wait to see the inevitable DF analysis video. I hope it isn't a trend for this gen that devs say 60fps and it's really more like 45-60fps.

I wonder if buying the retail version somehow gives you access to Left Behind on PS3.

Guymelef

Where was this confirmed? I find it hard to believe that they managed to take the PS3 version of the game and added cutscene videos that run at twice the framerate and 1080p AND all the DLC. Left Behind is 5.2GB alone. This only matters to me because my friend is buying this game and lives in a rural area with DSL internet that is very slow.

The base PS3 version is 43GB.

OGmAgWh.png

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
60fps is starting to sound like 45-60fps. Not that I mind. The 30fps lock could just be their way of safeguarding from eventual judder talk.

scsa

Releasing footage would increase the concern trolling and nitpickers ten fold. It would be a warzone here, bodies would be strewn everywhere.

It will be anyways once a DF video does an in-depth comparison of the PS3 and the PS4 versions.
Let the bodies hit the floor! lol

If the framerate drops:

The Last of Us: Remastered [OT] 60fps? It's got its ups and downs. You can't deny the view though.

It might exceed the character limit.

I've got nothing to add except that I really want to play the game again, and I like that Naughty Dog are handling the port themselves.

60fps is starting to sound like 45-60fps. Not that I mind. The 30fps lock could just be their way of safeguarding from eventual judder talk.

Maybe it's just them giving the option to people that don't like 60fps. There are a couple of people at ND that still prefer the look of 30fps, if i remember correctly, so i think it's more likely that it's there just to give people the option.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
How about "you have the option to play it with 30fps OR 60fps"?

I'm also thinking that it's one of the standard features they're experimenting on. In the same vein as DriveClub and InFamous.

valkyre

Ι also dont believe the option of 30 fps hints at framedrops in 60 fps option.

It is simply there just for people who prefer that "cinematic" feel of 30 fps. E ven some ND devs thought 30 fps suit the game more, so maybe they want to keep everyone satisfied.

I am not worried about performance.

But I am skeptic as far as actual graphical changes are concerned. We simply need to see more footage.

Either way... day one... its my GOTG, so there is nothing more to talk about really...

Do they send out review copies for the remastered version? If so, do we know when the embargo lifts?
Do you think it will get scores as good as the ps3 version?

Do they send out review copies for the remastered version? If so, do we know when the embargo lifts?
Do you think it will get scores as good as the ps3 version?

I don't really see a reason why it shouldn't, being the same masterpiece and all...just with better visuals and framerate. Although, any bets on seeing " It's pretty, but ultimately the same game we played last year: 7/10" type of reviews? I think there will be a couple.

The madness in this thread, coupled with the fact that I needed some practice, means that I just put together a video to express how I feel about there being no gameplay footage yet, and that I don't want to wait anymore.

Even if gameplay is posted tomorrow, I'm still finishing up the little touches (some composite effects and audio mixing) and posting it.

EDIT - Just noticed it's 3am, so I've been working on this for over 2 hours. Haha, goodnight everybody!

rIHCokx.jpg

Top Bottom