• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The little mermaid, chronicle of an established tragedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

FeralEcho

soQDMro.png
Great now I can't stop thinking about the batmobile having someone pump the tires...

Fools idol

Banned
I'm in disneyland paris right now with my wife and kid and let me tell you normies do not give a fucking shit - this place is RAMMED packed with people, falling over each other to spend money on this shit.

I'm here for my kid, she loves disney as 99% of kids do..

I'm still pissed they ruined star wars

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I'm in disneyland paris right now with my wife and kid and let me tell you normies do not give a fucking shit - this place is RAMMED packed with people, falling over each other to spend money on this shit.

I'm here for my kid, she loves disney as 99% of kids do..

I'm still pissed they ruined star wars
I’m not sure what Disneyland attendance has to do with anything. I was in Disneyland Hong Kong two weeks ago and the I could hardly believe so many people even fit in this place. Does that means Little Mermaid will be a hit in China? I somewhat doubt it.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Nah it looks alright to me.
Its going to do a billion dollars regardless.
Every Disney remake has. Most of them haven't been as good as the original. They all have.

That's not the case. A number of them were huge BO successes. Beaty and the Beast, The Jungle Book and Aladdin hit 1 billion dollars, The Lion King made a whopping 1.6 billion dollars, but movies like Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (491 mil), Alice Through the Looking Glass (299 mil), Cinderella (542 mil), Cruella (233 mil) and Dumbo (350 mil) underperformed. Pinocchio was so bad it wasn't even released theatrically. (Mulan is a special case because it got released during the pandemic).

Disney is hoping The Little Mermaid will turn into box office gold like Beauty and the Beast and not flounder like Cinderella, Cruella and Dumbo, but it remains to be seen if that's going to happen. The Beauty and the Beast trailers got thirty times more likes than dislikes, while The Little Mermaid gets ten times more dislikes than likes.

I love that everybody on the internet is circle jerking each other about how much better they are at making money than fucking Disney. Brilliant
It's pretty simple really. Keep doing what was making you money for decades. Wholesome family friendly content. Stay away from politics.
Respect the target audiences. Give people what they want. Don't try to reach new hypothetical audiences in detriment of the existing ones.

Disney should hire me.

Disney is on a mission to tarnish its own legacy. Turning animation classics into uglier looking live movies is a travesty. Aladdin, The Lion King, Beauty, Mulan, Beauty and The Beast (The least offensive of the four)...and now this...thing! 😐

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
I’m not sure what Disneyland attendance has to do with anything. I was in Disneyland Hong Kong two weeks ago and the I could hardly believe so many people even fit in this place. Does that means Little Mermaid will be a hit in China? I somewhat doubt it.

I just mean that opinions on this forum about the movies etc have zero impact on success of disney movies. They will still make unpteen billions and legions of fans will lap it all up and spend billions on merch and park tickets.

I'm old enough to remember when Episode 1 came out and was absolutely declared as 'the end of star wars' and while it sucked, disney still bought the franchise and made obscene amounts of money from it.

Brands = powerful, movie quality quickly forgotten

Toons

That's not the case. A number of them were huge BO successes. Beaty and the Beast, The Jungle Book and Aladdin hit 1 billion dollars, The Lion King made a whopping 1.6 billion dollars, but movies like Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (491 mil), Alice Through the Looking Glass (299 mil), Cinderella (542 mil), Cruella (233 mil) and Dumbo (350 mil) underperformed. Pinocchio was so bad it wasn't even released theatrically. (Mulan is a special case because it got released during the pandemic).

Disney is hoping The Little Mermaid will turn into box office gold like Beauty and the Beast and not flounder like Cinderella, Cruella and Dumbo, but it remains to be seen if that's going to happen. The Beauty and the Beast trailers got thirty times more likes than dislikes, while The Little Mermaid gets ten times more dislikes than likes.

Youtube dislikes don't matter. I can dislikes the video ten times if I want to, it's very easy.

I'm pretty sure cinderella's didn't do that bad it just didn't do gangbusters, but ill be honest I forgot Dumbo existed. To be fair the original Dumbo is very old and most people today weren't alive when it released, same with Cinderella.

Pinocchio was never intended to relese in theaters and was made to be direct to Disney plus.

Alice through the looking glass isn't even really a remake, it's a sequel to the (also barely a remake) Alice in wonderland tim burton film with Johnny depp that somehow made a billion dollars.

It released well after the first movie though. Actually tim button was behind those and the Dumbo movie.

All the "renaissance" remakes(from Disney's prime era in the 90s) have been massive successes. Jungle book is an old movie but not as old as those other two.

I just mean that opinions on this forum about the movies etc have zero impact on success of disney movies. They will still make unpteen billions and legions of fans will lap it all up and spend billions on merch and park tickets.

I'm old enough to remember when Episode 1 came out and was absolutely declared as 'the end of star wars' and while it sucked, disney still bought the franchise and made obscene amounts of money from it.

Brands = powerful, movie quality quickly forgotten
You didn’t answer his question.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Oh no.

A Disney movie remake that sucks.

Clearly this is unprecedented.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
You didn’t answer his question.
if it will be a big hit in china? maybe, no idea. It wont matter though... people pay to see any new disney movies with their kids, mainly because kids see trailers and get sucked in

never under estimate the spending power of parents desperate to entertain kids lol

Toots

Gold Member
Great now I can't stop thinking about the batmobile having someone pump the tires...
Do you really think with all the billions Bruce siphoned from Wayne entreprise to create the Batman and his tools, he forgot about putting an autonomous pumping station inside the Batcave ?
Well he did, so Robin is doing the pumping. He's also in charge of washing it on sundays, and changing the tires when needed.

Edit : "it" not being the batmobile (just to clarify)

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Better love story than anything Disney put out in the last 30 years.
Spends his life chasing his One, doesn't care about his safety only wants to see her again, and dies happily reunited with her at last.
At least that's what i like to think.

I had a whale of a time with that movie. You just can't beat the love-hate relationship of the captain with the object of his dreams in that movie. Plus that ending! I shed a few tears when the captain's passion led to such a dramatic ending. That's the power of true love. (Although I was surprised there was no happy end at all. If Pinocchio could survive a similar attack, the surely the Captain could have survived, too?)

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The live action Remakes are weird. no one likes them but they still make billions. Its like every loves to go see how bad they are. Then a month after release you never hear anything about them again.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I would say much further than Anya Taylor Joy’s. And it’s compounded by the fact that her eyes are much smaller than Taylor Joy’s.

She just looks like an alien to me. I know HOLLYWOOD says she beautiful but I don't see it. I have to imagine her with someone else's face whenever I see her onscreen... Like in The Menu... I had to imagine she was Margot Robbie.

She just looks like an alien to me. I know HOLLYWOOD says she beautiful but I don't see it. I have to imagine her with someone else's face whenever I see her onscreen... Like in The Menu... I had to imagine she was Margot Robbie.
Hollywood talk up a lot of people as beautiful when in fact they’re just plain. George Clooney, Ryan Gosling, Idris Elba, Beyonce, Gwyneth Paltrow, Lupita N’Yongo, Kate Hudson. So many of them. That said, there are some people who aren’t classically good-looking who are pleasant to look at and I think Ana Taylor Joy is one of them.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Hollywood talk up a lot of people as beautiful when in fact they’re just plain. George Clooney, Ryan Gosling, Idris Elba, Beyonce, Gwyneth Paltrow, Lupita N’Yongo, Kate Hudson. So many of them. That said, there are some people who aren’t classically good-looking who are pleasant to look at and I think Ana Taylor Joy is one of them.

I think Halle is a cutie. And Idris and ... The Canadian... Deadpool. I forget his name... Those two men are good looking men!

I agree with the rest.

Imagine for a moment that they call the actor Jonah Hauer-King who got a role for a Disney movie and has to kiss a mermaid...

Frx0WiRXwAEeJh-

According to twitter's community notes feature, THIS IS NOT A REAL SCREEN SHOT. As the community note explains:
A lot of people in the comments aren’t sure if this is real or not. It is not, her eyes have been photoshopped to appear farther apart than they already are.

After posting this and taking a closer look, the image posted in the OP doesn't seem to be the exaggerated image seen in the tweet. Still, it's good to know that there are some fakes going around, so you don't fall for fake images.

Last edited:

BlackTron

They changed the lyrics of 'Poor Unfortunate Souls" because they had the message that men don't want you to talk or say anything anyway, and you should just look pretty. Oh no, what a terrible message!

But wasn't that Ursula's song, and the implication was that Ariel made a deal with the devil (a mistake) by trading away her voice? In other words, "I'm trying to deceive you right now, you don't need that voice anyway silly, so just hand it over". When I was 5 in the movie theater I can remember my small child brain saying "Ursula is trying to trick you into giving your voice away, don't do it!" She was obviously the villain and the animation/music itself made it obvious something dark and twisted was transpiring. Ursula used Ariel's voice while disguised as Vanessa to steal her love interest, so the reality vs. message from the villain are on full display.

The ironic part is that by receiving advice that men don't care what you have to say by a villain like Ursula, and the movie ending in defeating her and getting your voice back, you will walk away with an opposite message. But they take away the opportunity for Ursula's lyrics to be challenged by the story's payoff by bleaching the whole affair. Even your bad guys can't be bad anymore lol.

TBH I see this as Disney being worried about them being songs and therefore taken out of context of the story, but we made it this far on the existing version. Maybe they are scared any potential complainers never bothered to watch TLM.

Scotty W

People still asking why her eyes are so distant from each other in a movie about a fish woman...

images
Disney is under no illusions as to her appearance. This is a dialectical attempt to deconstruct and reengineer western beauty standards. It is about as subtle as “Brawndo’s got what plants crave.”:

Ariel is beautiful.
This actress is Ariel.
Therefore this actress is beautiful.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
They changed the lyrics of 'Poor Unfortunate Souls" because they had the message that men don't want you to talk or say anything anyway, and you should just look pretty. Oh no, what a terrible message!

But wasn't that Ursula's song, and the implication was that Ariel made a deal with the devil (a mistake) by trading away her voice? In other words, "I'm trying to deceive you right now, you don't need that voice anyway silly, so just hand it over". When I was 5 in the movie theater I can remember my small child brain saying "Ursula is trying to trick you into giving your voice away, don't do it!" She was obviously the villain and the animation/music itself made it obvious something dark and twisted was transpiring. Ursula used Ariel's voice while disguised as Vanessa to steal her love interest, so the reality vs. message from the villain are on full display.

The ironic part is that by receiving advice that men don't care what you have to say by a villain like Ursula, and the movie ending in defeating her and getting your voice back, you will walk away with an opposite message. But they take away the opportunity for Ursula's lyrics to be challenged by the story's payoff by bleaching the whole affair. Even your bad guys can't be bad anymore lol.

TBH I see this as Disney being worried about them being songs and therefore taken out of context of the story, but we made it this far on the existing version. Maybe they are scared any potential complainers never bothered to watch TLM.
What Disney is saying is that people are too dumb these days to put together that the villain would sing a song about bad things. 😵‍💫

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Disney is under no illusions as to her appearance. This is a dialectical attempt to deconstruct and reengineer western beauty standards. It is about as subtle as “Brawndo’s got what plants crave.”:

Ariel is beautiful.
This actress is Ariel.
Therefore this actress is beautiful.

So... You don't think the actress is good looking? So any other wide eyed actor isn't good looking either, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom