• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The thirst is real: a Destiny TTK quest is exclusive to Red Bull (Until Jan 1, 2016)

Bungie has to earn its wings before removing the Activision probationary butt-plug.

Heh. Not surprising this happened. Doesn't CoD do this kind of thing ask the time?

They do the XP thing all the time which to me, Isn't that big of a deal. This is locking out a whole strike, which the game is usually pretty short on anyway.

This sounds just to bizarre to be true. Its something that I would expect happen in a South Park episode, but nowhere else.

If true, then I would say buying anything Destiny is out if question out of principle. No matten how fun the game is or isnt.

cripterion

Such times we live in when I see this, Season Pass not enough to get all post game content, fucking console versions running better than high end computers, Origin store with upcoming games figuring Standard, Deluxe, Premium editions... I mean yeah just pay your pc games for over 110€, I mean why not.

1200.gif

Oh yeah this will be my most loved and used gif for gaming.

Zocano

XP boosts for various reasons is standard fare. I'm not condoning that either, but locking out a portion of the game is very different.

This will most likely be something like getting an extra nothing kill ten sheep quest in WoW as a little promotional quest. The horror. Make it end.

Oh no not a tiny promotional quest that will ultimately reward you with nothing useful!

Oh the humanity!

Give me a fucking break, there are worse things to cry over than a quest that will just be meager and not interesting at all like that stupid urn quest from Eris. People who are quitting because they see this as the last straw make me laugh.

While I agree the quest itself is likely insignificant, I think it's disingenuous to pretend its laughable that this is the proverbial straw for some people. Even people who like the game have to admit by now that Destiny-era Bungie's community management and engagement has been a fucking shitshow.

There's a lot of anger boiling and it's all coming out. It just varies from individual to individual which specific incident sets it off.

MaxiLive

Bungie has to earn its wings before removing the Activision probationary butt-plug.

Heh. Not surprising this happened. Doesn't CoD do this kind of thing all the time?

Yep! But I think it is always EXP boosts and such not actual map packs/exclusive content. But I'm not sure maybe there are gun skins and such these days.

Oh no not a tiny promotional quest that will ultimately reward you with nothing useful!

Oh the humanity!

Give me a fucking break, there are worse things to cry over than a quest that will just be meager and not interesting at all like that stupid urn quest from Eris. People who are quitting because they see this as the last straw make me laugh.

I think the culmination of all the criticism on top of this is adding up

I wouldn't assume its this one last straw I think people are just expressing themselves in raw form

the quest is probably "do this 3 missions you've played before in 15 minutes". not a big deal but yeah, rubbing salts in wounds.

patapuf

Heh. Not surprising this happened. Doesn't CoD do this kind of thing all the time?

It's not THAT uncommon for big fall releases to have trinket codes for costume DLC or XP boosts or whatever and this mission is unlikely to be anything worthwhile in the first place.

This here just strikes up more outrage since people are already worried about a dearth of content and there's been other content locked away behind the most expensive collectors edition.

Zocano

Even people who like the game have to admit by now that Destiny-era Bungie's community management and engagement has been a fucking shitshow.

There's a lot of anger boiling and it's all coming out. It just varies from individual to individual which specific incident sets it off.

Sure, I definitely agree their community management has been horseshit, but Christ it's a dumb promotional addon. The kind of content this game needs won't be something like a dumb go kill these three dudes in the open world shit.

As far as what little has been seen of the new expansion, they are doing all the right things but nobody fucking cares cause nothing good can be in destiny. Just fucking stupid bubble chamber talk all the time.

patapuf

Sure, I definitely agree their community management has been horseshit, but Christ it's a dumb promotional addon. The kind of content this game needs won't be something like a dumb go kill these three dudes in the open world shit.

As far as what little has been seen of the new expansion, they are doing all the right things but nobody fucking cares cause nothing good can be in destiny. Just fucking stupid bubble chamber talk all the time.

I'm a bit surprised that a company that had such good community relations before suddenly doesn't seem to prioritize that anymore or at least suddenly became incapable to maintain good community relations.

But i only follow destiny from GAF threads so maybe i get the wrong impression on that.

Isurus

To be expected, I guess. It isn't exactly a trivial effort to make an appropriate rate of return on a $500M investment (if I recall correctly, that is the investment Activision is making), so, you can expect to see silly shit like this to get some of it back.

Not saying I like it; I'm just saying I get it. It's all about money at this point, like most things.

Obviously the promo is for a shitty little quest mission with a crap reward.

Still feels like an extra little gut punch just as you're being KO'd.

AhupylO.jpg

Check this info snipet ( from reddit).
Bungie and Activision deserve all the hate for the way they treat their fanbase.

Haha it's just sickening and scary how they know Destiny players are used to paying a premium for any sort of extra content.

Welp, the game is usually starved of shit to do in the first place!

Ozium

so you drink the red bull and get juiced up irl and put in the code and get juiced up in game?

holy shit this is insanely immersive

props to acti for an interesting take on video games.

Zocano

I'm a bit surprised that a company that had such good community relations before suddenly doesn't seem to prioritize that anymore. You'd think that would be valuable for an online game.

But i only follow destiny from GAF threads so maybe i get the wrong impression on that.

Nah, even on the main thread we mostly agree that they are terrible at communication. To be fair, they definitely talk and engage waaaaaay more than most companies/studios but deej is an expert at non answers and bad annoying fluff talk. Early on in the first few months they were fucking awful at fixing issues in the game. They are muuuuuuch better and on point about it now, specifically with House of Wolves.

Kosma

Banned
I dunno why Activision is getting the blame from some people here.

Just like EA does for what Bioware has been doing.

These companies know where they are signing up, they are doing it do get more $$$ in the first place.

mr_lakitu

Neo Member
I think it's naive to just blame Activision for everything. I don't care, I stopped playing when it became a motes of light grind but It's not Bungie bowing down to some Acti bosses. Bungie is a business believe it or not and they're all about the monies.

Heigic

Strange thing is Blizzard is releasing a free patch for Diablo that adds a new zone, new legendaries, new mechanics and on the other side of Activision-Blizz there is shit like this and £40 expansions.

I dunno why Activision is getting the blame from some people here.

Just like EA does for what Bioware has been doing.

These companies know where they are signing up, they are doing it do get more $$$ in the first place.

Oh for sure

This is exactly what Bungie wanted all along. They saw that COD money and started drooling

Nabbis

To be expected, I guess. It isn't exactly a trivial effort to make an appropriate rate of return on a $500M investment (if I recall correctly, that is the investment Activision is making), so, you can expect to see silly shit like this to get some of it back.

Not saying I like it; I'm just saying I get it. It's all about money at this point, like most things.

Given the amount content the game has made for the supposed 500mil, it seems that all that money was spent on 1mil/piece reskins.

I don't believe they are that incompetent. I don't think they got even 10% of that for destiny 1 development. Though given their attitude it might just be incompetence.

Griss

Said it many times, but boy am I glad I dodged Destiny. This kind of thing would drive me insane. Thanks for that public beta, Bungie. It was all I needed to know.

FyreWulff

Are you saying they're comparable?

Exclusive content is far, far worse.

Making people wait to play actual game content for a promotion is annoying. But at least at the bare minimum it goes to everyone in a time after. Versus before which was "never".

Sgt. Johnson is STILL locked away for everyone in ODST. Since 2009.

deadduck

The sky is falling.

No wait, I don't need an xp boost or a variation on an existing bit of content, so I won't buy it and don't care, the game is still great.

leeh

Wow, I feel sorry for Bungie, being tarnished by Activisions horrible campaign.

Although, I bet many people here purchase a redbull just for this.

Top Bottom