• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: Microsoft 'has been testing a variety of prototype Xbox devices'

El_Chino

Well, unless they change the system architecture, which would require a lot of update patches, which would break compatibility for a lot of titles...

I dunno what I'd do really.

I don't see this as much of a problem for multiplatform games. Maybe 1st party would have to change things up a bit.

What I want from a Xbox Elite:

VR/Oculus support.
SSD or hybrid.
4K games
4K BR movie support.
Updated design that match Surface and Band.
Better quality chat-set bundled.
Controller with record/screenshot button.
Better tier 2 support.

That sounds like a great list.

I'd like to see a new Kinect released that keeps the mic functionality the same, but reduces the camera to something simple. I'd like the Kinect voice commands, and upcoming Cortana capability to remain a part of the ecosystem even with downplaying the Kinect.

Bsigg12

VR/Oculus support.
SSD or hybrid.
4K games
4K BR movie support.
Better tier 2 support.

I would like to see Rift and Vive support. Microsoft is demoing Vives in its stores so there is a relationship there. It would also help me with room space for the Vive. Right now I am planning on setting up my Vive in an office since it is where my PC is at. Being able to set it up in my living room without having to move my PC would be great. Getting a console to be the equivalent or just above the minimum requirement for the Rift and Vive could be expensive though.

jelly

^This.

Changing the architecture built around the ESRAM looks problematic imho.

Well, it was there to make up the bandwidth after going with DDR3 but if GDDR5 or equivalent achieves the same bandwidth wouldn't they just need to fool the software into thinking GDDR5 is the ESRAM ?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It's funny you want that because that is essentially where Microsoft is heading. All your content in the cloud and viewable/playable on any Windows 10 device. There will always be new hardware though.

Of course, but much less so. It's not like people are upgrading anything every few years to keep streaming Netflix. Once games are streaming like that, ala PS Now, hardware isn't much of an issue as you just need any tv, settop box etc. that has the app since all the processing is done in the cloud.

Unfortunately internet speed, caps and availability have us still a long ways off from that being available for all current games on a platform.

alouette

Just a (great) option is actually to use the available chatpad. There are some configurable buttons on it, so you can set them to record a video or take a screenshot.
Dunno if it´s necessary to have an extra button on the controller just for screenshots. I think, they are overrated...

Yes and no. As others have said, the hypervisor layer in the Xbox One OS is dedicated to handling resource management. As long as Microsoft did the ground work to support both with very little work to the devs, it could work just fine. All this rides on Microsoft handling that though.

Esram is also a band aid for ddr3 bandwidth, from the looks of it the ps4k will have 200GB/S gddr5. Im pretty sure microsoft can find a way to emulate esram
in gddr5 or gddr5x

I'd like to see a new Kinect released that keeps the mic functionality the same, but reduces the camera to something simple. I'd like the Kinect voice commands, and upcoming Cortana capability to remain a part of the ecosystem even with downplaying the Kinect.

Maybe make the controller have a built in mic input for Cortana searching or something. Not sure how 'always on' audio listening would work with controller batteries though.

ekim

Esram is also a band aid for ddr3 bandwidth, from the looks of it the ps4k will have 200GB/S gddr5. Im pretty sure microsoft can find a way to emulate esram
in gddr5 or gddr5x

Yeah I don't think this is a huge problem but I don't know enough about this.

Proelite

I don't see this as much of a problem for multiplatform games. Maybe 1st party would have to change things up a bit.

To emulate Esram and DDR3, they'll need ram bandwidth greater than 280gb/s. They'll probably need some head room because of the emulation layer. Next year they'll have the option of GDDR5x or HBM.

Theyll have to do some software magic to account for thr Esram latencies.

VR/Oculus support.
SSD or hybrid.
4K games
4K BR movie support.
Better tier 2 support.

This all sounds great.

I bet we get next to none of it

Elandyll

Banned

VR/Oculus support.
SSD or hybrid.
4K games
4K BR movie support.
Better tier 2 support.
Already exists.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Syber_Vapor_Elite

Go to kinko, and have them print a sticker of

xbox-one-logo-1-630x222.png

And play on it with a DS4. :)

Done!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Software abstraction.

It will need to be a healthy leap performance wise for that to work with how the ESRAM is set up with it's speed bursts.

That method was much easier to pull off from a much weaker 360, since it had a similar usage with the EDRAM.

If it does happen, I expect more performance anomalies than you get with the 360 BC.

Yeah, because Kinect has worked out so well for them. Please MS, don't do it.

El_Chino

To emulate Esram and DDR3, they'll need ram bandwidth greater than 280gb/s. They'll probably need some head room because of the emulation layer. Next year they'll have the option of GDDR5x or HBM.

Theyll have to do some software magic to account for thr Esram latencies.

Can multiplatforms run under a "PS4 profile" if you will?

Ushay

It's more that the statements and the statements are in conflict.

Phil Spencer one day:

Phil Spencer another day:

There isn't any disparity here. In one statement he says he wants hardware innovation. In the other he says he doesn't like the idea of X1.5 he says he wants bigger numbers, a real upgrade.

Where is the contradiction?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Didn't Phil Spencer say he doesn't like the idea of an Xbox 1.5?

then again he seems to say whatever people want to hear at the time

He said he didn't like the idea of a slight upgrade. Which means when we get one, it'll most likely be a monster.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe make the controller have a built in mic input for Cortana searching or something. Not sure how 'always on' audio listening would work with controller batteries though.

They should just put a mic on the front of the new console. Would work just as well as a mic on a Kinect across the room above/below the tv. As long as the console isn't behind closed doors (which is terrible for heat anyway).

JaggedSac

They should just put a mic on the front of the new console. Would work just as well as a mic on a Kinect across the room above/below the tv. As long as the console isn't behind closed doors (which is terrible for heat anyway).

The ambient noise/vibrations from the box itself could cause issue. In Kinect V2 this is why they separated it even from the Kinect main body.

A potential problem I see for Microsoft with this is convincing consumers that this is just an upgraded version of the Xbox One. The "PS4K" name is perfect, as it clearly indicates this is a version of the PS4, while also denoting an improvement of some kind.

With the One, I'm struggling to see how Microsoft could name this system without confusing consumers that this is an entirely separate system from the One.

The One Plus? One Elite? One Gold?

I think that will be the main challenge for Microsoft for their upgraded One, because as we know, branding and marketing is everything.

As a side note, how exciting is this? A beefier PS4 with a GPU that rivals a 970, an upgraded Xbox which will, presumably, have similar specs and performance, and Nintendo's NX. All coming well within the next year.

Easy, extend the branding metaphore from the Surface line, Xbox One, and Xbox One Pro. Next cycle it becomes Xbox, and Xbox Pro. (Similar to what Apple does with Macbook/Macbook Pro and iPad/iPad Pro)

I'm betting they include or sell a Camera/Mic combo that won't be Kinect branded that can optionally plug into the console. Or, if they wanna say fuck you to the NSA theorists they can just put a mic on the console. That gives them built-in Cortana support.

Bobnob

Doesn't that last paragraph say "we'll be talking about the future of gaming on xbox one"

There's really nothing to see! Did i miss something?

edit: errrr nevermind

then again he seems to say whatever people want to hear at the time

It's his opinion, that doesn't mean MS don't want that. At the end of the day he needs to do what helps the company, whether he likes it or not.

Yeah. First I was very excited about Kinect v2 but it really didn't work out and added a lot of costs to the X1 SKU.

I used it to pause things like Netflix, but that was pretty much it. Also, it kind of weirded out both me and my girlfriend with having a camera and microphone in the room. I once forgot to leave a party after playing Destiny, and realized people were just listening to us talking via the Kinect microphone for a good 10-15 minutes. That was the last time I used Kinect.

Klocker

I want all the upgrades now will trade in for new tomorrow... but..have to have a voice activated mic with Cortana to control everything

Spencer stated that he didn't like the idea of an Xbox 1.5, but if they were to move forward, they would do so in big numbers. The change has to be substantial according to Spencer.

Spencer: I don’t know. Not a big fan of one and a half. I think about what happens in most spaces. If I’m going to move forward, I want to move forward in big numbers.

Spencer: There you go. But I don’t know anything about any of the rumors out there. I can understand other teams’ motivations, why they might want to go do that. But for us, our box is doing well. It performs. It’s reliable. The service is up. If we go forward with anything, I want to make it a substantial change.

Source: http://venturebeat.com/2016/04/03/m...il-spencer-on-openness-hololens-and-xbox-1-5/

Well, then, whenever the next Xbox is released, it will be the physical definition of what Phil thinks is "substantial change." Can't wait to see what it is, and at what price.

One of the problems for MS is they do not have their own VR solution. They could try and cosy up even more to Occulus, but their weak console doesn't meet the minimum requirements in terms of specs. So what do they do?

They need to release an upgraded console that can be fully compatible with Occulus. But the problem is this is too little too late as by that time the PS4K will be already on the market and saturated with PSVR titles. They're on a hiding to nothing.

Bizzquik

It's his opinion, that doesn't mean MS don't want that. At the end of the day he needs to do what helps the company, whether he likes it or not.

LoL. That's hilarious.
Well, at least NO ONE would be able to say he was just a PR-spinner on that, then.

"Here, have a new basically-useless, redundant, 'Elite' (i.e. iterative) console. ...You're welcome."
Phil Spencer, June 13th 2016 @ 10:55am Pacific - wrapping up Microsoft's E3 2016 show

LoL. That's hilarious.
Well, at least NO ONE would be able to say he was just a PR-spinner on that, then.

"Here, have a new basically-useless, redundant, 'Elite' (i.e. iterative) console. ...You're welcome."
Phil Spencer, June 13th 2016 @ 10:55am Pacific - wrapping up Microsoft's E3 2016 show

You do realize that not everything that comes out of his mouth is the company's official position on the subject right? He said he didn't like the idea of that, not that MS would never do it. There's a difference. You you can't tell the difference that's your problem

. Some of the prototypes have been tested with upgraded components you'd use to improve the performance of a PC gaming rig

So this is where their recent greed fueled UWA fever dream is coming from

they're trying to just sell pcs with their proprietary closed ecosystem on them to xbox gamers, and then try to transform the pc into that same ecosystem over time.

creatchee

I just bought a high performance PC, but still play more on my Xbox because that's where my friends play. What I want more than anything is cross buy and cross play on all future games. That way, I can enjoy my more powerful hardware while they and anyone else has the option of an all in one box that is simpler and does what they want it to do without having to game on a PC.

Top Bottom