• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 Direct - 2013.8.9 - 07:00 PDT / 16:00 CEST / 23:00 JST

Azure J

Let's just all enjoy this for a little bit.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=477028

Will buy to support Kaminaba back to glory. Although, I do think there's potential for some cool ideas here, it's not what I was expecting from the motherfucking Kamiya and doesn't show as much.

Wow, what in the fuck was I smoking? Nintendo's E3 negativity around these parts must have been some dank ass shit if I was saying that about Kamiya/Platinum. =/

This game is incredible looking.

A good day...

EbPZH7w.png

I think the best part is people crying that it isn't Bayo 2, but then that gets announced too and an even more embarrassing thread takes place.

I stand by my disappointment that Kamiya wasn't working on Bayo 2 considering we had no idea what was coming.

I bowed to my Platinum overlords a few months later.

Etzer

I had some doubts about the game, but that trailer was amazing. I'm gonna try out the demo first, but for now... DAY 1.

Anteo

I'm late to the party but, holy shit what a Trailer. And I read in a tweet that it doens't show even 1/10 of the things that actually happens? Is this 2013 Kid Icarus Uprisng?

Codeblue

I stand by my disappointment that Kamiya wasn't working on Bayo 2 considering we had no idea what was coming.

I bowed to my Platinum overlords a few months later.

I think being disappointed by a director change is totally understandable. Unfortunately most of the outrage didn't stem from such a reasonable position.

OryoN

Wow, what in the fuck was I smoking? Nintendo's E3 negativity around these parts must have been some dank ass shit if I was saying that about Kamiya/Platinum. =/

This game is incredible looking.

You should pat yourself on the back, because your post was a heck of a lot saner than the filth in that thread.

Tuck

I posted this in the reveal thread when the game was first unveiled:

Game looks really good - I was surprised. Quite unique and playful. I would not pay full price for it, but maybe around $20 dollars, based on that first look - maybe the game is full of content, I dunno. A nice little surprise.

Holy shit I'm a fucking idiot. Though thankfully I didn't say anything as dumb as some of the other posts in that thread. Platinum Games has my $60 dollars.

Het_Nkik

See that "Leader" circle that appears under the leader character? I totally told Kamiya to add that.

Actually I tweeted at him (after playing the game last year) telling him that it was sometimes hard to see your character when you had to do something delicate (like walk across a chain attached between a giant robot's arms).

He said the game was still being worked on.

But I'm going to go ahead and take credit anyway.

Just watched the Direct. My interest in the game rose quite a bit. Looks to have more depth than I was expecting.

Also, Kamiya's Iwata impersonation was funny, and he even plugged his Twitter. Poor unsuspecting souls....

Any doubts anyone had about The Wonderful 101 were laid to rest this morning. If you still have doubts, what's wrong with you?

*yeah,yeah,reggiegifgoeshere*

Played the demo 2 times. Looks amazing. It takes some time to adjust to the controls.This is one of those games that is easy to play but will be damned hard to master.So... It's a real Platinum game :p

Neff

I read in a tweet that it doens't show even 1/10 of the things that actually happens? Is this 2013 Kid Icarus Uprisng?

Despite this I'm still not going to watch the new trailer or download the demo, I only have to wait a fortnight (and it coincides with a holiday off work to boot), but hearing all this excitement and positiveness, particularly from previous doubters, is really heartwarming.

Kamiya's Iwata impersonation

But man I want to see this.

TriGen

Just watched the Direct -- and, boy, was that fantastic. Everything from the ND/Iwata parody to the awesome game trailer. Very nice.

Wow

That trailer was REALLY FUCKING GOOD

The reveals in the Direct about the depth of gameplay are awesome too.

Can't wait for whenever the game is supposed to come out. GIVE US A RELEASE DATE ALREADY

yes that's a joke

Madouu

This game specific direct idea is pretty great (alongside traditional marketing tools obviously). I hope we get many of these in the future. Having game directors/developers present them is even better! Especially when it's Kamiya's subtle trolling :D

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Man it's just hitting me that 101 is an action game.

I think in alot of discussions that we have on here about action games, we tend to categorize them into one of two camps. "Combo games" and "combat games". DMC being the poster child of the former and Ninja Gaiden the latter, with every game following those two being compared to them. (Bayonetta is a DMC game. RIsing is like Ninja Gaiden etc.) Every game that doesn't fit those two groups doesn't seem to be talked about as much or held in as high of regard.(VJ. God Hand, Sengoku Basara)

but man when I saw multiple unite morphs it just hit me that there's still so much room for innovation and growth beyond those two molds. 101 looks like a one player marvel game, where you have access to 7 different assists at the same time(with repeats allowed) with a ratio system balanced around a resource.

Like I'm just floored not only by this concept actually existing, but that it appears so fleshed out, complex and deep. I can only imagine what they'd come up with if given the chance to refine this idea further in a sequel.

Seems weird saying this before the game is even out but I'm just glad to see a game prove that there's still tons of room for innovation and new experimental mechanics within the mold of an action game. I don't know about you guys but Platinum has already completely destroyed any previous expectations I had for this title.

Right now as a fan of the action game genre I'm extremely happy that this game exists and I can't wait to play it. Completely revived my fading interest in these games.

This better do well. Ideas like this need to succeed.

Evilcrane

Just finished the story mode in the demo and I thought it was really good. The game just looks amazing and I really like how it uses the gamepad. There seems to be tons of different ways of dispatching enemies and I already noticed myself planning how I am going to better myself the next time I go through the stage - only got Silver ranking! :D

I think the demo included some single missions which I shall have to tackle tomorrow.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I think Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 are enough for me to go get a Wii

Definitely dude.

I know I won't need next gen for a minute with those two on the horizon. I can see myself pouring hundreds of hours into both without getting bored if the combat is as deep and open as it seems.

JDSN

Banned
Man it's just hitting me that 101 is an action game.

I think in alot of discussions that we have on here about action games, we tend to categorize them into one of two camps. "Combo games" and "combat games". DMC being the poster child of the former and Ninja Gaiden the latter, with every game following those two being compared to them. (Bayonetta is a DMC game. RIsing is like Ninja Gaiden etc.) Every game that doesn't fit those two groups doesn't seem to be talked about as much or held in as high of regard.(VJ. God Hand, Sengoku Basara)

but man when I saw multiple unite morphs it just hit me that there's still so much room for innovation and growth beyond those two molds. 101 looks like a one player marvel game, where you have access to 7 different assists at the same time(with repeats allowed) with a ratio system balanced around a resource.

Like I'm just floored not only by this concept actually existing, but that it appears so fleshed out, complex and deep. I can only imagine what they'd come up with if given the chance to refine this idea further in a sequel.

Seems weird saying this before the game is even out but I'm just glad to see a game prove that there's still tons of room for innovation and new experimental mechanics within the mold of an action game. I don't know about you guys but Platinum has already completely destroyed any previous expectations I had for this title.

Right now as a fan of the action game genre I'm extremely happy that this game exists and I can't wait to play it. Completely revived my fading interest in these games.

This better do well. Ideas like this need to succeed.

Yeah, I think the most impressive part of the direct at a gameplay level was when the unite switching was done, it was one of those amazing moments of clarity in which your brain goes "This is new" but the new concept is so obvious that you are already thinking of applications and combinations for it. Truly the first time ive been watching a next-gen game in the last two years.

The best part is, I think they are trying to do something similar with Bayonetta 2 considering the second character, Kamiya is breaking ground.

I must say. The Direct certainly got me interested in the game.
Trailer was pretty hype aswell.

As for Kamiya. He's back on Twitter.
@Turtwig: why does Iwata's face turn red whenever you're with him?
@PG_kamiya 1u :You know why. RT

totowhoa

Banned
Hooooly shit. That trailer.

Platinum is one of my favorite devs but I'd just thought this game looked "pretty good" with no intentions to buy near day 1.

Jesus, that trailer + explaining the gameplay further ... man, I can't wait. Day 1 for sure now.

Top Bottom