• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There’s Nothing Xbox Can Do to Close Gap Between PS4, Says Pachter

Coxy100

Banned
Which is irrelevant to most people.
Most people? Did you do a survey then?

Personally love bc - and like the guy said that you quoted - it's better than the ps4 offering. That's all he was saying.

Anyway, it's obvious the xb1 will never catch up - but as long as it sells well who cares - there's no doubt Sony have won this generation - and Microsoft only have themselves to blame.

kavanf1

Phil Spencer said the same thing recently, so this is a complete non-story. Not to mention the fact that the Xbox One is still incredibly successful, even if it does pale in comparison to the phenomenal success the PS4 is having.

madmackem

World wide he's right there is zero chance it catches ps4 now as it sell so badly outside of two regions. It might close the gap in the USA with all the deals ms has been putting out but worldwide no chance for ms now.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The TR Reboot destroyed my cherished unique franchise, and so I won't lie I'm going to take sick satisfaction if it bombs. As I said when they announced "exclusivity" for XBO, since the reboot was awful I couldn't get excited about its sequel, but I hope that the exclusivity deal singlehandedly destroyed the momentum it gained so that one day we might have a shot at going back to real Tomb Raider games. But since the game is still going to be on PS4 (as we all knew), I doubt I'll be that lucky anyway...

Really? Really? The reboot didn't do any damage that wasn't already done by garbage like Angel of Darkness. RotTR is possibly the best game in the series for my money. Looking forward to many reversals of opinion once it's on PC and PS4 (not to imply you'll change your mind, just that I think a lot of the hate that game gets is platform specific).

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
As a long PS user really it's continue to diversify their exclusive catalogue.
Don't just have games that only appeal to western sensibilities.
360 really ingrained this idea into me that they don't like to support anything that isn't going to have a chance at being a mainstream success.

I associate halo and gears of war with xbox, to the point that I have to think really hard to remember lost odyssey/blue dragon.

I want interesting games even if some of them will end up failures.

And to be honest I think they've been doing good so far. But the 360 trajectory made me be careful. I want them to maintain this throughout the generation.

Mario007

Phil Spencer said the same thing recently, so this is a complete non-story. Not to mention the fact that the Xbox One is still incredibly successful, even if it does pale in comparison to the phenomenal success the PS4 is having.
This narrative needs to stop. Xbox has lost every single market to PS compared to the previous generations. And while yes the ps4 had been a great success Xbone has been also very much a fairlure in every market bar us and uk.

SwolBro

Banned
This narrative needs to stop. Xbox has lost every single market to PS compared to the previous generations. And while yes the ps4 had been a great success Xbone has been also very much a fairlure in every market bar us and uk.

And this narrative needs to stop. Are you saying they should get out of the console business because they aren't number 1? That's pretty stupid. It's not a failure if it isn't number 1 in every market. Especially going against the biggest gaming brand there is.

gtj1092

Yeah people keep thinking out pacing the 360 means something. Last npd someone posted a chart showing that 360 was the next to last slowest selling console the past two generations with only the Wii U starting off slower. Maybe it's a US point of view thing.

On the subject of exclusives I know it's hard for some to admit but maybe the public actually likes the exclusives on PS4. At some point we can't keep blaming the launch introduction. Ps3 had just as bad a launch introduction and a higher price but still out paced the 360.

And this narrative needs to stop. Are you saying they should get out of the console business because they aren't number 1? That's pretty stupid. It's not a failure if it isn't number 1 in every market. Especially going against the biggest gaming brand there is.

Funny what he wrote was fact not speculation. Also you projected all your butt hurt onto him. I can't seem to find where he said MS should get out of the console business.

SwolBro

Banned
Funny what he wrote was fact not speculation. Also you projected all your butt hurt onto him. I can't seem to find where he said MS should get out of the console business.

So, again, defining failure vs success is not coming into first in every market? That is pretty stupid.

cilonen

The TR Reboot destroyed my cherished unique franchise, and so I won't lie I'm going to take sick satisfaction if it bombs. As I said when they announced "exclusivity" for XBO, since the reboot was awful I couldn't get excited about its sequel, but I hope that the exclusivity deal singlehandedly destroyed the momentum it gained so that one day we might have a shot at going back to real Tomb Raider games. But since the game is still going to be on PS4 (as we all knew), I doubt I'll be that lucky anyway...

Absolutely agree with this. ROTR tanking is the best chance to get a real Tomb Raider someday.

ROTR may be a decent action game but it's not Tomb Raider.

kyser73

So, again, defining failure vs success is not coming into first in every market? That is pretty stupid.

I think you misapprehend just how much MS has lost across the EU, a gaming market of comparable size to NA when you treat it as a single region.

Outside the UK Xbox as a brand is dying or dead. The inroads MS made in the major markets like France & Germany during the 360 period are all but gone, and the smaller European markets like Spain & Italy, the Scandinavians etc are utterly dominated by PS to the extent it's the generic term for videogaming.

Unlike PS3, MS doesn't have the global brand reach with Xbox that Sony has. Not only will there not be a 'comeback' narrative for the Xbone, but for next-gen unless MS build something exceptional and give it global appeal from day 1, they'll just be bunkering down in NA, Canada & the UK.

It's not about coming first, it's how distantly you are in second place and whether you leave something to build with for the next hardware cycle. MS are failing at this, and that's why it's a big issue.

AmFreak

The bad part isn't the Cpt. Obvious part (he was asked) or that the numbers are wrong.
The bad part is his reasoning.
What would he have said last gen?
That we should expect every cycle to be 6:1 in Sony's favor cause this is the ratio of their best selling consoles?

Well people kinda thought the same way about the PS3 and 360 and it took a while but the PS3 closed the gap a lot better than many would have expected.

Mainly because MS faltered and went off course with the 360 by the end though and targeted the kinect market while Sony kept pumping out stellar first party titles.

DieH@rd

Banned
There’s Nothing Xbox Can Do to Close Gap Between PS4, Says Pachter Reply to Thread

Pack it up guys. MS is gonna win "by the nose". :)
6mgJ43e.gif

krang

"Pachter's always wrong". Unless he's right. In which case "Pachter's stating the obvious".

FWIW I quite like the guy.

notaskwid

Well people kinda thought the same way about the PS3 and 360 and it took a while but the PS3 closed the gap a lot better than many would have expected.

Mainly because MS faltered and went off course with the 360 by the end though and targeted the kinect market while Sony kept pumping out stellar first party titles.

Wrong. The real reason is xbox has little to no market presence outside of Anglo-american markets and many of those markets are slower adopting new consoles because they are more price conscious.It has very little to do with Kinect or PSe great first party games, that likely just pushed people who had a 360 to buy a PS3.

And for the backward compatiblity guys, if people really cared about backward compatibily they wouldn't trade in they're old console towards a new one.

Bookman

(I like Pachter btw)

I hope they draw the parallel between exclusive games , new IP and sales. Sony has focused on blood bourne , The Last of Us ( Ni no Kuni ) Beyond Two Souls etc while Microsoft continues with Halo and Gears.

Arent pepople beginning to get a bit tired of them? I'm tired of them anyway.

I really hope that Quantum Break will effect xbox one sales positive so that we get more new ip's

He's right. After Tomb Raider flopped nobody is going to give MS a major exclusive again and their single biggest franchise is nowhere near as popular asit once was, there's nothing they can do short of giving away their console.

While a little extreme, I do believe MS's only option is to be consistently like 100 dollars/pounds cheaper than the ps4. It's their only option at this point. Then you have to think, do they sell more at less, or be happy with less at more. I would have thought the increase in software sales might push them to do an extreme price drop.

Absolutely agree with this. ROTR tanking is the best chance to get a real Tomb Raider someday.

ROTR may be a decent action game but it's not Tomb Raider.

With you guys on this.

I mean I loved the reboot, but I loved it in the same way I love the Uncharted games; it's brilliant, but not even close to being as good as a true Tomb Raider.

Actually I think Kinect was the thing that stopped them falling behind completely. The PS3 was launched a year behind (1.5 years in some places). It was outselling the 360 globally and quickly catching up, with the sales during the first year the only thing keeping the 360 ahead. The Kinect gave the 360 some mid gen legs, but did weaken them when it came to the start of this gen.

Raist

Banned

The main reason there was a "gap" is because the 360 had a significant headstart. Launch aligned, the PS3 outsold the 360.

EGOMON

I doubt MS has any chance next gen either.
This.
People keep saying MS lost this gen and they can try next-gen but no Sony made MS to lose this gen and they will next-gen it just PS brand is too big to lose unless a major and i mean A MAJOR fuck up worse than PS3 fiasco to make Sony lose marketshare.

There is nothing you can do to fight an already established Wroldwide brand, next gen PS5 and Xbox 4 could launch day and day with exact same price and spec and it won't change a thing PS5 will still dominant world wide and Xbox will do great in US and UK but a distant second everywhere else, rinse and repeat every gen from now on because i don't see Sony doing another PS3-mistake again

Rymuth

Phil Spencer said the same thing recently, so this is a complete non-story. Not to mention the fact that the Xbox One is still incredibly successful, .
So successful, they stopped reporting hardware numbers completely. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

cireza

Even if they can't close the gap, it does not mean that they can't have a very profitable cycle with Xbox One. And that's the same for Xbox players.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
Who the hell is Pachter?!!! Is he the God of gaming or something? He is of no importance to me. I value the collected opinions on this forum a hundred times more than one human being.

Who the hell is Pachter?!!! Is he the God of gaming or something? He is of no importance to me. I value the collected opinions on this forum a hundred times more than one human being.

He's just an analyst who was asked a question and answered it. The "collected opinions" don't matter to him I'm sure. He wasn't giving a console recommendation...

There is absolutely no reason to act like this about what he said. It was an obvious statement and it doesn't really need to be refuted as if it were a personal attack.

He's just an analyst who was asked a question and answered it. The "collected opinions" don't matter to him I'm sure. He wasn't giving a console recommendation...

There is absolutely no reason to act like this about what he said. It was an obvious statement and it doesn't really need to be refuted as if it were a personal attack.
This is serious business, mate. Thisisneogaf.gif.

novablue

Banned
Many things could happen this gen, people ain't loyal to one brand. The majority of people want a console that is the multi-plat king and at the moment, X1 isn't that king. You think people will stick to PS5 over X2 if X2 is more powerful?

If PS5 is only strong enough to 1440P/60FPS barely and X2 is doing that with no problem, do you think people side with PS5? Also Steam is eating off so many people's plates this year and its probably going to do it the next few years as well. I know in a few years people will be saying "If you want JRPGs, go and get a PS4 or join Steam".

PS4 and Steam have got this gen, but the next one is going to the console and service that are flawless.

foltzie1

There is an awful lot of salt going on for what is an obvious conclusion that was presented in the article as if it was in fact obvious. Xbox consoles are going to have trouble in word wild sales if they cannot move units in Japan or Europe.

A better question might be, could Xbox One overtake PS4 in the United States? The answer to that question is "possibly" as it looks like they are within a million units of each other. Which was also the case when the 360 overtook the Wii in US sales.

Define 'incredibly successful'. Losing in the two regions their last system dominated and being outsold 2:1 world wide doesn't sound that incredible to me.

Top Bottom