• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There is now a mermaid show on Discovery.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
DevPatelAG0018868.jpg

Do you know about Bigfoot?

Science-fiction masked as a documentary is an insult to actual documentaries.
Then there's the harm it does as gullible people point towards these "documentaries" and say:

"Scientists have discovered dragons/mermaids/ghosts/big foot/angels/ufos/etc! It's true, I saw it on a documentary!

I agree with that Wired article posted above, that these documentaries might be interested if they were presenting a "What if?" scenario rather than masquerading as some sensationalistic new discovery.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Sorry I'm at work and can't view anything right now........are you saying Discovery Channel is airing a show with "evidence" of a half human, half fish? Am I reading this right?

my mom and sister were watching this and thought the found footage was real......goddammit discovery I could take this sort of shit from history but not you guys too

I just...stunning that anyone would believe it. Stunning.

Actually I take that back. This is just trolling for shits and giggles. People can't actually believe this, can they?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Read up on this after watching and it's largely fake. Actors in the show and everything.

Had me going for a second, until the bad CG.

Nizz

Science-fiction masked as a documentary is an insult to actual documentaries.
Then there's the harm it does as gullible people point towards these "documentaries" and say:

"Scientists have discovered dragons/mermaids/ghosts/big foot/angels/ufos/etc! It's true, I saw it on a documentary!

I agree with that Wired article posted above, that these documentaries might be interested if they were presenting a "What if?" scenario rather than masquerading as some sensationalistic new discovery.
Agree with this. From the start of the show, it should have stated a "what if" type of disclaimer. Seeing the Discovery Channel brand, there's a sort of integrity I relate to programs on the channel. But I couldn't believe what I was watching last night. I figured wow, if this is airing on DC there must be something to this. Pretty disappointed in Discovery.

One of my all time favorite shows.
Great locations/travel, comedy and folklore.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMm7Gl_L0Ss
hilarious

Josh Gates is pretty cool.
I've watched every season of Destination Truth. Love the show, Josh is a charismatic and fun host. Every Tuesday I make sure to be sitting in front of the tv to catch every show.

Az

I used to love Discovery, Animal Planet and History Channel. I barely watch TV anymore anyway.

I'd like to say something about modern television... but when I was a kid I watched similar pseudo-science on "In Search Of..." (They re-ran that for years on A&E.)

Mr. F

Banned
Yeah, Discovery Channel is more a nuisance now than anything. Not much worthwhile content left, aside from the ocasional special.

Does DC in the US/abroad have insanely frequent commercial breaks like it does here in Canada? Not only is the frequency infuriating, but each break they play the same ads for other Discovery Channel shows over and over. Drives me nuts.

Rapstah

LOL at the naysayers. We humans can't even predict the weather and now that there's conclusive proof that mermaids might exist you throw it out the window because you didn't think they existed before they were just now recently discovered?

Yeah, Discovery Channel is more a nuisance now than anything. Not much worthwhile content left, aside from the ocasional special.

Does DC in the US/abroad have insanely frequent commercial breaks like it does here in Canada? Not only is the frequency infuriating, but each break they play the same ads for other Discovery Channel shows over and over. Drives me nuts.

Yep, they do it here, too. Always the same commericals for Sons of Guns, Deadliest Catch, or Auction House Fuckers or some shit.

Remember Discovery Channel in the 90's?

I watched that stuff so damn much, especially the space documentaries.

I saw a Discovery space documentary called, "Earth from Space," recently, you might want to check it out. It shows various subsystems in Earth, that are only visible from Space. It's really mind blowing!

LOL at the naysayers. We humans can't even predict the weather and now that there's conclusive proof that mermaids might exist you throw it out the window because you didn't think they existed before they were just now recently discovered?
Hmm good point

Hootie

03uIc.jpg

oh and luckily there is still hope, the Science Channel still is mostly scientific programming. Lots of interesting shows.

Mitsurux

Agree with this. From the start of the show, it should have stated a "what if" type of disclaimer. Seeing the Discovery Channel brand, there's a sort of integrity I relate to programs on the channel. But I couldn't believe what I was watching last night. I figured wow, if this is airing on DC there must be something to this. Pretty disappointed in Discovery.

I've watched every season of Destination Truth. Love the show, Josh is a charismatic and fun host. Every Tuesday I make sure to be sitting in front of the tv to catch every show.

Agree as well, it was not put forth as a 'What if" secnario.... (In which case it still shouldn't ahve been on discovery)...

While wathcing it i must admit that i was interested, but something about the way the interviews were filmed (ie acted) seemed odd, and the "Real life footage" also raised a red flag.... if osmething like this was real or discovered it would be on the front page of every newspaper and scientific journal out there.

The CG portions were actually kinda cool, and could make an interesting movie premise... (also that skull reconstruction CG was pretty neat as well)

Quality fiction.....

Yes, you can't prove something doesn't exist.

But just because something's not impossible doesn't mean it's not improbable.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
if osmething like this was real or discovered it would be on the front page of every newspaper and scientific journal out there.

I think the general idea according to people who believe in mermaids is that someone is hushing up their existence because

uh

Hm.

oh and luckily there is still hope, the Science Channel still is mostly scientific programming. Lots of interesting shows.

Yeah, the Science Channel is what Discovery used to be. Through the Wormhole is cool just for having Morgan Freeman narrate a science show.

Newline

My friend is going to love this, she is adamant that mermaids really exist and is even planning a trip to New Zealand so she can go mermaid spotting with one of the "top researchers".

Mumei

My friend is going to love this, she is adamant that mermaids really exist and is even planning a trip to New Zealand so she can go mermaid spotting with one of the "top researchers".

She's one of the people that made the Animal Planet special a success.

Sigh.

What are her credentials?
I reckon you'd need a BSc in Marine biology at the very least.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Is her nonsense contained to just mermaids, or does she believe in a lot of other crazy things too?

Mitsurux

I think the general idea according to people who believe in mermaids is that someone is hushing up their existence because

uh

Hm.

Yep,.... Government consipiracy seems to be the "nanomachines" of the unproven alot of the times....

When the part of the show came to where their evidence was getting confiscated... i kept thinking why these "Scientist" were not e-mailing, exporting or backing up their findings on servers outside of the country, or etc etc. (Yet another loop hole in the woven tale)

But it would make for a pretty good feature length movie....

People being fooled by this isn't a surprise, the technique the producers use to film this documentary is designed intentionally to mimic that of a non-fiction documentary. Actors play out fictional characters who give first hand accounts, often emotively and passionately and others play scientists and officials who speak in past-tense rather than theorise. All this, of course, is supplemented with fake news broadcast footage and images of newspaper headlines.

There was a recent attempt with this style a few years back involving the discovery of a dragon frozen in a glacier. For people who tune in mid-way through, you could easily mistake the thing for a 'breakthrough discovery'.

As for this particular documentary, it provides a rational account as to how mermaids could exist and it was actually quite enjoyable. These stories and myths are so familiar to us, so well versed that part of us wants to believe them and if we were given a reason to do so in the form of scientific evidence, we'd readily accept it.

I'm just watching this. Never heard of this idea. My wife is dying. When the sea ape sacrificed himself she said, "this is so twighlight."

Prez

Remember Discovery Channel in the 90's?

I watched that stuff so damn much, especially the space documentaries.

Weren't there tons of alien documentaries in the 90s? Not sure about Discovery cause we only had National Geographic back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom