• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall: 15 maps at launch (?), perk lists, game modes, Map Photos, ahoy!

bidguy

Banned
[Tinfoil hat]

A single player campaign exists and is still being worked on now. It was cut purposefully to be put into the PS4 Titanfall iteration, along with the current Titanfall MP mode. That way they can get a PS4 iteration out later this year and maintain the exclusivity deal on TF1 with MS.

[/tinfoil hat]

HAHHAHAHHAHHAHHA

biggest bs ive read this month thanks

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
I don't know how a lot of you are completely fine with this. Way to reward mediocrity. I love the game and will be getting it day one but I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit disappointed with the map count.

For an MP only game at least 16 would be more fair.
So adding 2 extra maps elevates something from mediocrity to good? Man I just don't get the logic. If the 14 maps are fun and the game is fun, is adding 2 extra maps all the sudden going to make it a much better game to you? Would you be ok if they were total shit maps that everyone hated, but the box said 16 MAPS!!! Would that make it a better value? I'm not saying that I don't wish there were more maps. Hell I'd love 25 awesome maps at launch, but it just seems weird that adding 2 extra maps takes something from mediocre to acceptable. I think 14 is decent. The difference between 14 maps and 16 maps is hardly worth drawing a line and calling one mediocre and one acceptable. Just seems like a really arbitrary number.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
TDM may be titan death match? or a pilot only deathmatch?

attrition is already regular deathmatch, no need for two

Deadbeat

Banned
Isn't hyper_core, defensive_core and marathon_core, the titans core abilities?

hyper_core -> Damage Core (Atlas), defensive_core -> Shield Core (Ogre) and marathon_core -> Dash Core (Stryder)
That makes sense. That should be noted in the OP.

RazorUK, you need to get us all the weapons and damage values. You will be an internet hero.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Is campaign multiplayer qualitatively different? Or do they just obscure the matchmaking screen with elaborate cutscenes to add context to the arena?

Woo-Fu

Banned
That is a good point. Perhaps they are hidden perks they apply based on the titan you pick.

They're not hidden at all, they're the power-up ability of each chassis type. There is only one selectable chassis in the beta, which has the damage power-up. You can get some other chassis via burn card and some of them have different power-ups.

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs

That could be the case. TDM is what is referenced, team deathmatch was my assumption.

I don't know how a lot of you are completely fine with this. Way to reward mediocrity. I love the game and will be getting it day one but I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit disappointed with the map count.

For an MP only game at least 16 would be more fair.

Because some people have already made up their mind long before this. They were going to buy the game regardless of anything, even if it had just 10 maps, that wouldn't matter. And that is fine

Personally, I'll buy it when it hits 20 or gets some kind GOTY edition. No way I'll pay full price and then get gouged for more money for DLC stuff that could have been there at launch

Respawn had no campaign, no extra modes, and only two platforms to worry about... Yea.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The map count is more than enough. It's the game type lists we have in this thread that are suspect.

kuYuri

13 or 14 seems pretty decent to me if they are all playable in every mode. This is purely my opinion, but seeing MW2 being called a great value compared to Titanfall just because it had a single player campaign and a bunch of maps is just crazy. MW2 felt stale to me within the first 30 minutes of playing it. It felt like the exact same shit I had spent a couple hundred hours playing in COD4. I honestly don't think I've ever regretted a day 1 purchase more than MW2. I ended up giving it to my girlfriends son the same day I bought it. Fired my WoW account back up and vowed to never touch a COD game again. I know a lot of people loved it, but it just felt like the same tired formula. It didn't matter one bit to me that there were a lot of maps.

This line of thinking that a multiplayer focused game has to have a single player campaign tacked on to have "value" is just crazy to me. Look at Battlefield 4 and all the horrendous bugs and performance issues it's had since launch. Was that shitfest single player campaign worth all the man hours that could have been spent polishing the real meat of the game and making sure that the multiplayer actually worked properly? It's a completely forgettable 5 hour trudge fest that you have to play to unlock 3 multiplayer weapons. People are going to spend hundreds of hours playing battlefield 4 and about 5 of those hours will be dedicated to the single player. Maybe 2-5 percent of the total play time. Completely not worth it in my opinion. Some of the best MP games ever didn't need to have some tacked on single player garbage so they could mark a check list on the back of the box to show their "value" BF 1942-no single player, great game. BF2-no single player, great game. Tribes 1(best game ever)-no single player. Personally, I'm glad Respawn hasn't devoted even a second of their time and manpower to making a single player mode that will be played once and then never touched again. That doesn't mean that they shouldn't strive to deliver a big multiplayer package, but in my opinion, if you're going to make a multiplayer focused game, then it's a better use of time to make the best MP game they can, and not worry about trying squeeze in a bunch of half assed modes so it sounds better on the back of the box. The sad thing is that I bet they could make a pretty kickass single player game based in the titanfall universe. The Sci Fi setting, Titans and Parkour aspect would certainly make it more fun than a COD or BF campaign.

Thanks for your insight.

But your 'stale within 30 minutes' and 'spent couple hundred hours pf playing CoD4' is someone else's 'I've never played CoD before, this is so fresh.' I'm more than willing to bet close to half of the people who bought MW2 were new to CoD or hadn't played since the WWII games.

That doesn't make the person who you quoted's comparison any less valid.

There are plenty of games that have come out that can pull everything together just fine, look at Halo 3. It had a meaty campaign that can be played in 4 player co-op, Theatre, Forge, and MP without suffering any game breaking bugs or glitches like Battlefield 4. Halo 3's campaign was certainly not considered "tacked-on" by most people.

With that said, I'm all for Respawn wanting to make an MP focused game.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
When it comes to Titanfall you've also got to consider team size and budget as well. Halo 3 and MW2 very likely had much bigger of both which allows them to put their resources into a variety of modes. Respawn are quite small for a team making a game like this and they were starting completely from scratch again and have gotten a new game out within a few years. I will absolutely pay full price for a multiplayer only experience, if the maps are up to scratch and enough game modes to keep me occupied it will be worth its price 10 times.

Milennia

but its not traditional deathmatch, which is one of the larger controversies surrounding this game.
being the bots, splitting the 2 modes makes sense.
(more importantly, deathmatch isnt in the game at all, as that mode is traditionally every man for himself, whereas attrition is a varient of TDM)

there already is a titan deathmatch as well, in the form of last titan standing, which is more of a one life deal, unless you mean a 100% pure, die and respawn titan deathmatch.

Quality of maps is more important to me than number of maps, quantity is not equal to quality.

Fracture is a pretty poor map if you ask me. Especially for Last Titan Standing. The narrow roadways make for some serious Titan bottlenecking.

Then on foot, not many spots for wallrunning or general acrobatics the game is all about. Did not like Fracture at all.

Oozer3993

Respawn actually snuck a quick clip from each of Airfield and Boneyard into footage they gave the press last year at E3.

In game clip of Airfield. Screenshot:

K5iyTAH.png

In game clip of Boneyard. Screenshot:

uD5cBtu.png

Hip Hop

I really hope so.

I love the titans but I also love the gunplay. It would really be great if had a pilot only mode.

No titans, no grunts. Just guns and jetpacks. Would be awesome.

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
Thanks for your insight.

But your 'stale within 30 minutes' and 'spent couple hundred hours pf playing CoD4' is someone else's 'I've never played CoD before, this is so fresh.' I'm more than willing to bet close to half of the people who bought MW2 were new to CoD or hadn't played since the WWII games.

That doesn't make the person who you quoted's comparison any less valid.

There are plenty of games that have come out that can pull everything together just fine, look at Halo 3. It had a meaty campaign that can be played in 4 player co-op, Theatre, Forge, and MP without suffering any game breaking bugs or glitches like Battlefield 4. Halo 3's campaign was certainly not considered "tacked-on" by most people.

With that said, I'm all for Respawn wanting to make an MP focused game.
I did say it was my opinion, and that plenty of people loved the game. I guess I just played too much COD4 and was burnt out. And your point that MW2 may have been some peoples first COD game is totally valid. I have no doubt that I would have loved it if I hadn't played COD4 to death. Halo 3 is a very good example of a very nice total package I agree. I've never been a big Halo fan, but I absolutely won't argue the fact that Bungie have always delivered a very nice amount of content. Maybe I came off a bit strong, but I was just saying that there are thousands of people out there that put hundreds of hours into games like battlefield and COD, and they aren't playing the Campaign mode when they are doing it. I think we can all agree that in an ideal world we would love to have awesome Campaigns in all our multiplayer games, but if the focus is Multi player, and that aspect will suffer or be compromised to add a Single Player campaign just to say they have it, well I'm not a fan of that. I would love a Titanfall single player campaign with sprawling levels where you could run on walls to your hearts content. That doesn't mean that I won't get 60 dollars worth of enjoyment out of just the MP aspect.

Duxxy3

When it comes to Titanfall you've also got to consider team size and budget as well. Halo 3 and MW2 very likely had much bigger of both which allows them to put their resources into a variety of modes. Respawn are quite small for a team making a game like this and they were starting completely from scratch again and have gotten a new game out within a few years. I will absolutely pay full price for a multiplayer only experience, if the maps are up to scratch and enough game modes to keep me occupied it will be worth its price 10 times.

Why should I care about the size of the team or budget?

In the end it's a $60 game on the shelf, the same as other games with far larger studios and far larger budgets.

Destiny, COD, Battlefield and other shooters all are going to cost the same $60 that Titanfall will. The others have better production value and more content.

I'm not giving Respawn a free pass because they are relatively small. Not with a $60 price tag.

Why should I care about the size of the team or budget?

In the end it's a $60 game on the shelf, the same as other games with far larger studios and far larger budgets.

Destiny, COD, Battlefield and other shooters all are going to cost the same $60 that Titanfall will. The others have better production value and more content.

I'm not giving Respawn a free pass because they are relatively small. Not with a $60 price tag.

Then don't buy the game.

So much bullshit. We as consumers do not need to play apologist for these guys. They better make up for the lack of singleplayer and split screen in other areas if they are charging full price.

velociraptor

So much bullshit. We as consumers do not need to play apologist for these guys. They better make up for the lack of singleplayer and split screen in other areas if they are charging full price.

No split screen either? That's a shame.

I very much have enjoyed the beta but no chance I'll pay full price for it.

Dezzy

If the maps are of the same quality as the two in the Beta than I'm pretty happy. More =/= better.

Btw. What's the problem with full priced multiplayer games? Quake 3 and UT were also full price.
Must be console gamers not being used to it?

Unreal Tournament launched with around 40-50 maps or so, plus released free map packs and other new stuff. it also came with a map editor. And of course it still offered offline single player play, and LAN support.

We're in a different era now, though. :(

On a positive note for Titanfall, I am happy to see that there's a traditional CTF mode. I'm a bit more interested in getting the game for PC knowing that.

Looking good to me. Plenty of variety and more to come.

Outpost 207 should be a space one with a low gravity Insta-Gib mode in it.
I like you.

Unreal Tournament launched with around 40-50 maps or so, plus released free map packs and other new stuff. it also came with a map editor. And of course it still offered offline single player play, and LAN support.

We're in a different era now, though. :(

On a positive note for Titanfall, I am happy to see that there's a traditional CTF mode. I'm a bit more interested in getting the game for PC knowing that.
You sure about that? I feel like it was around half that, but I do remember some maps being exclusive to certain game types. I miss the glory days, but this is a nice nod to those games.

I did say it was my opinion, and that plenty of people loved the game. I guess I just played too much COD4 and was burnt out. And your point that MW2 may have been some peoples first COD game is totally valid. I have no doubt that I would have loved it if I hadn't played COD4 to death. Halo 3 is a very good example of a very nice total package I agree. I've never been a big Halo fan, but I absolutely won't argue the fact that Bungie have always delivered a very nice amount of content. Maybe I came off a bit strong, but I was just saying that there are thousands of people out there that put hundreds of hours into games like battlefield and COD, and they aren't playing the Campaign mode when they are doing it. I think we can all agree that in an ideal world we would love to have awesome Campaigns in all our multiplayer games, but if the focus is Multi player, and that aspect will suffer or be compromised to add a Single Player campaign just to say they have it, well I'm not a fan of that. I would love a Titanfall single player campaign with sprawling levels where you could run on walls to your hearts content. That doesn't mean that I won't get 60 dollars worth of enjoyment out of just the MP aspect.

I don't want them to "tack on" single player. But I do expect a good chunk of multiplayer content when I buy a multiplayer-only game.

By the by, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone before who felt that MW2 was more of the same as MW1. For better or for worse, they changed/added a lot of new stuff between MW1 and MW2. Not just game components (full SP with high production values, MP and SpecOps mode), but the multiplayer itself was drastically different in just about every other way than the basic game mechanics.

MrMephistoX

Because some people have already made up their mind long before this. They were going to buy the game regardless of anything, even if it had just 10 maps, that wouldn't matter. And that is fine

Personally, I'll buy it when it hits 20 or gets some kind GOTY edition. No way I'll pay full price and then get gouged for more money for DLC stuff that could have been there at launch

Respawn had no campaign, no extra modes, and only two platforms to worry about... Yea.

Pretty much especially when the community will likely just rotate an endless playlist on less than a handful of the maps. If they really have a cool campaign component tacked on that's co-op or something with a story arc like Destiny that would be different but right now I can't justify paying $60 since I'm not a multiplayer guy. I have to admit its one of the best multiplayer experiences I've had in a while though. So it's more than worth it for gamers that live for Multiplayer.

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
They don't really need to make up for anything. You simply don't have to buy the game. I've enjoyed the last 3 days with the 2 maps of the Titanfall beta more than my last 2 months with Battlefield 4. And I like BF4. Hell I bought premium. I just enjoy Titanfall more. For me 14 maps and whatever other stuff might be included is worth paying 60 dollars for because I enjoy the gameplay more than any other mp shooter i've played in a long time. I know that in a cost/time enjoyment equation I will get my moneys worth. For you It's clearly not worth buying.

Archpath1

Quality vs quantity? Feels like a tough call would like allot of maps ,but might get some shitty ones compared to possibly getting 14 really good maps, but not much info on the maps so theres that

kinggroin

Banned
defensive_core

FUCK!

edit: how about we remove all the unlockable perks, make weapons as pickups that change depending om map, and just add more maps? Guys?

Hello?

Eoin

More maps than I was expecting, considering the team size and how complex and big the maps are. The question is how many will be good? If they live up to the quality of the Beta maps, we are in for a treat.

RoKKeR

defensive_core

FUCK!

edit: how about we remove all the unlockable perks, make weapons as pickups that change depending om map, and just add more maps? Guys?

Hello?

Could say the same thing about Damage Core right now. Takes such a long time to charge up and only lasts for a few seconds, yes it can turn the tables but it's not like you're running around with Juggernaut the entire game.

(Agreed on unlocks/perks though...not necessary in a game like this)

Portugeezer

yeah, over half of these are new.
im assuming dead mans trigger is the pilot equivalent of nuclear.. in other words, martydom.
it shouldnt have much affect on this game if it is the case, considering how easy it is to get away as opposed to the other titles it was included in.

It was never difficult to avoid "martyrdom" in COD for me. Regardless, people will complain about death related powers.

MrMephistoX

What's the "Campaign Multiplayer" I keep hearing about? Have the shown anything on it or are Respawn keeping all the details under wraps for now? If there's some kind of story arc that's 100% co-op I would be into it.

Milennia

It was never difficult to avoid "martyrdom" in COD for me. Regardless, people will complain about death related powers.

its cheap, and along with juggernaut were the 2 perk issues with the early infinity ward titles, as per their removal in the later games to an extent.
its forces you to change your overall playstyle expecting it to be on everyone, something they realized and didnt like in later installments.

Hip Hop

Nah man, it definitely was.

No visual cue like how it is in Titanfall plus the time it took to explode was way faster.

The CQC doesn't really help it much at all when you kill a guy infront of you, only to walk forward and get killed.

It was also easier to get Martydrom, as you don't have a Titan with you 100 percent of the game.

The complaints were valid, rightfully so. I'm glad they listened with the newer installments.

If these maps are as polished and brilliantly designed as the two in the beta, value will be way over delivered. Thanks to GMG, I paid classic PC game price for this.

Portugeezer

its cheap, and along with juggernaut were the 2 perk issues with the early infinity ward titles, as per their removal in the later games to an extent.
its forces you to change your overall playstyle expecting it to be on everyone, something they realized and didnt like in later installments.

Juggernaut was balanced.

Nah man, it definitely was.

No visual cue like how it is in Titanfall plus the time it took to explode was way faster.

The CQC doesn't really help it much at all when you kill a guy infront of you, only to walk forward and get killed.

It was also easier to get Martydrom, as you don't have a Titan with you 100 percent of the game.

The complaints were valid, rightfully so. I'm glad they listened with the newer installments.

I'm not saying it was good, it was annoying shit, but it was easy to avoid. There's sound and a grenade indicator.

Milennia

Juggernaut was balanced.

it was not, as per its removal.
staple in every competitive match known to man that had any relevance.
staple anything in a game that attempts to offer you variety in the form of multiple perks and weapons is a balance issue, and one that affects every game, yet that doesnt change the principle.

wotta

Sounds like a fairly good amount for launch day, no?

Edit: Thanks op_ivy for:

To me the OP is saying, I'm happy to pay £50/$50 for 14 maps and no single player, I'll also happily pay for extra DLC.

Sounds like not a lot of content to be for $50/£50 personally. Considering the amount of game modes/content you get in rival games.

Top Bottom