• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump: Sweden has huge immigration problems. Sweden: No we don't, USA pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

Yesterday I saw tweets about what Fox segment was responsible for his statement, and unsurprisingly it turned out to be true. The amazing thing is that it isn't even a news story, but an interview with a filmmaker. Trump probably can't tell the difference.

This is the segment by the way: https://youtu.be/OSzjfAMk-RI

Looks like a slanted doc by an American filmmaker.

I fucking hate that my country is used as a fucking piece in whatever sick game he's playing. I hope our politicians feel the same way and make that clear tbh

This likewise pissed me off when he first started to talk about Germany like it was some country ravaged by Sharia law and rape. Hell, it's still pissing me off.

riotous

Banned
If I remember correctly there was some controversy one year ago about the cover-up of sexual abuse at a music festival in Sweden, maybe he was referencing that story?

edit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35285086

Yeah and this story has been endlessly reported on by both European and American right wing outlets. The guy on FOX claimed there was a conspiracy by the entire government much bigger than just that festival. Trying to find a link to what I read last night about it.

edit: Someone posted the actual program; guess that counts as a "Story" on FOX. Propaganda film maker.

Button

Banned
Well places like Malmö do have obvious problems with immigrants, the integration hasn't worked very well in some cases.

Jumeira

Banned
Bumbling incompetent President that believes fox news over his own intelligence agencies. You'd think someone with a hint of intelligence could see that he's in a unique position to use one of the greatest and brightest resources available to him, the C.I.A before making claims. Again, this man, his stupidity is a threat to us all.

Well places like Malmö do have obvious problems with immigrants, the integration hasn't worked very well in some cases.

They have problems with far right violence too, problems are not exclusive to immigrants, but all this is expected and being tackled, it's not complete chaos as Trump is trying to portray.

Yesterday I saw tweets about what Fox segment was responsible for his statement, and unsurprisingly it turned out to be true.

God damn. I have been critical of European immigration and the current policies, but those guys just take it really over the top with clear framing to push an agenda and outright lies.

Yes, most of the 100.000 new people from last year probably don't have a job yet. Maybe... because asylum seekers who have just arrived are not allowed to have jobs, because that would create problems on the job market.

The images they show is from that Australian - I think - broadcast from some time back. And they need to repeat it a dozen times for dramatic purposes.

And if they talk about "the statistics" can't a news organisation - well, Fox... - at least call those up and put on the screen, so we know what they are talking about. Apparently I have to just trust these guys on their word without any source at all?

tci

Yesterday I saw tweets about what Fox segment was responsible for his statement, and unsurprisingly it turned out to be true.

So Trump just told us he can't distinct TV and reality.

As for the segment, I find it to angle an agenda. They seem to just find validation to a political view. Which is dangerous. Sure you can argue the fact that immigrants may cause an increase in violence etc. That is not the direct cause of immigration. It is the sparks of multiple cultures smashing together. I would think history should have thought that lesson to most of us.

Keasar

To be fair, Sweden had a serious terrorist event in 2010. It was a total failure from the perspective of the terrorist who only managed to blow himself up, but it is not completely unreasonable to call it a "terror attack".

That was 7 years ago and didn't claim any innocent lives unless someone counts a mannequin in a shopping window as a life.

This was 2 years ago and killed 3 people, yet we do not immediately tackle the fuck out of Nordfront/Odin Soldiers/Swedish Democrats/Any Neo-Nazi people standing on market squares holding flags and distributing flyers like we should cause they are way more dangerous people.

The Sweden situation is something Breitbart and other right-wing sites have been peddling over the last two months, quoting no sources.
Putin setting the agenda there because of upcoming elections in Europe? "Vote for your far right parties Netherlands, Germany, France, or you'll end up like Sweden!"

Wouldn't even surprise me anymore.

Xater

So Trump just told us he can't distinct TV and reality.

As for the segment, I find it to angle an agenda. They seem to just find validation to a political view. Which is dangerous. Sure you can argue the fact that immigrants may cause an increase in violence etc. That is not the direct cause of immigration. It is the sparks of multiple cultures smashing together. I would think history should have thought that lesson to most of us.

We have even more refugees here in Germany than in Sweden, and of course there are you g to be some black sheep. Unavoidable with large groups of people. Thing is that violent attacks from the right wing, grew way more than whatever the refugees might have done.

pringles

Yesterday I saw tweets about what Fox segment was responsible for his statement, and unsurprisingly it turned out to be true. The amazing thing is that it isn't even a news story, but an interview with a filmmaker. Trumo probably can't tell the difference.

This is basically completely bullshit and as a swede I can say anyone who refers to a "refugee crisis" in Sweden is detached from reality and not someone you should listen to.

That includes Trump.

Putin setting the agenda there because of upcoming elections in Europe? "Vote for your far right parties Netherlands, Germany, France, or you'll end up like Sweden!"

Good that the AfD in Germany fell under 10% in the latest poll then. Not sure how it's in the other countries though.

Good that the AfD in Germany fell under 10% in the latest poll then. Not sure how it's in the other countries though.

160 000 citizens protested in Barcelona to finally do something. I'm not sure if Trump catched this as the POTUS and the biggest criticizer for migration movements.

tci

We have even more refugees here in Germany than in Sweden, and of course there are you g to be some black sheep. Unavoidable with large groups of people. Thing is that violent attacks from the right wing, grew way more than whatever the refugees might have done.
Desperation is always dangerous within a large group of people. We have had our share of issues on both Norway and Sweden with burning of immigration centers from "whites". Ignorance and fear is a bad mix.

StarVigil

That must be so infuriating for the intelligence community. The president of the United States skips his daily briefings, watches some tv instead, then goes out and tells the public his version of the thing he watched.
He has the fucking FBI, NSA, CIA, and all the other agencies at his fingertips. There's nothing in the world that they don't know about. And what does he do? He tells millions of people stuff "he heard"? Then gets mad because the media calls him out on it.
It was funny when he was a candidate. Sad when he was president-elect. Worry some when he didn't cut the bullshit after a week. But after a month, he still doesn't even remotely understand the position he's in and that his words will have consequences.
And I'm not even talking about his continuous attempt to destroy checks and balances of the free press and the courts. He's declaring war on democracy itself. So buckle up, people.

It's like a bizarre Monty Python 'but I'm not dead'/'yes you are' moment, but completely horrifying because it's the President of the United States.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The level of FUCKASSCUNT stupid you have to be when as the President of the USA you get your daily topical info from random Fox News segments and not intelligence briefings and statisticians and ANYONE ELSE is just unforgivable.

That this insanity is still ongoing just affirms America isn't a real country and maybe never was? Just some shit with wheels on duct-taped together to pretend and look like a country with bottle-rockets as propulsion.

AndyD

aka andydumi
When did it become such a bad thing to call lies, lies?

It's not a "questionable" comment or a "baffling" statement.

It's unequivocally and demonstrably fucking bullshit and our news organizations need to call it out as such.

Someone said "lie" implies intent, whereas falsehood and the other various words imply what Trump may be doing here, repeating what he heard believing it's true. That he fails to check and verify that what he hears and says is true is a huge problem.

So his explanation, that barely makes sense in comparison to how he said it, is that he watched a news story on Fox, that's factually incorrect?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

I'm pretty sure Trump referring to any European country in any malevolent way is rather motivating the people from that country and who don't usually get too involved in elections to go out and vote against far right.

What amuses me is that the far right who never stops bragging about how much they love their country have no issue with the president of another country taking a piss at it. Big patriots. /s

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Fuckups like these in particular go viral worldwide, as he's making stuff up about another country. That tends to get traction. He's done and said worse stuff, but this just makes him a laughing stock all over the world. It was headlining on sites all day here in Belgium.

He's both a joke and a disgrace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom