• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump treasury secretary won’t commit to putting Harriet Tubman on $20 bill

studyguy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...wont-commit-to-put-harriet-tubman-on-20-bill/

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin on Thursday would not commit to carrying out the Obama administration's plan to put Harriet Tubman on the $20 bill, saying he had not made a decision about the matter.

Mnuchin said the decision would be based on how to design the currency in a way that prevents counterfeiting, rather than whose portrait was on the bill.
Last year, in an interview with NBC, Trump said Tubman was “fantastic” but said putting her on the $20 bill was an example of “pure political correctness.”

“Well, Andrew Jackson had a great history, and I think it's very rough when you take somebody off the bill,” Trump said last year. “I think Harriet Tubman is fantastic, but I would love to leave Andrew Jackson or see if we can maybe come up with another denomination.”

Not surprised at this point I suppose.

Mindwipe

“I think Harriet Tubman is fantastic, but I would love to leave Andrew Jackson or see if we can maybe come up with another denomination.”

Finally, the $7 bill America has been crying out for is coming to pass.

Trump819.jpg

I was just thinking the other day that Trump would probably do something shitty about this eventually. Lo and behold...

Also, "basing the decision on how to prevent counterfeiting rather than whose face is on the portrait" sounds suspect to me. I can't claim to be a professional in that realm, but they seem to be suggesting that Andrew Jackson's face could be harder to counterfeit than Harriet Tubman's which immediately rings my bullshit alarm. Pretty sure you can add Tubman to the bill while also improving counterfeit security. It's not some either/or compromise.

WedgeX

Banned
Wasn't it going to be Jackson on one side and Tubman on the other? As stupid as that decision was.

Indeed.

In a letter to the American people, Treasury Secretary Jacob J. Lew today announced plans for the new $20, $10 and $5 notes, with the portrait of Harriet Tubman to be featured on the front of the new $20.

Secretary Lew also announced plans for the reverse of the new $10 to feature an image of the historic march for suffrage that ended on the steps of the Treasury Department and honor the leaders of the suffrage movement—Lucretia Mott, Sojourner Truth, Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, and Alice Paul. The front of the new $10 note will maintain the portrait of Alexander Hamilton.

Finally, he announced plans for the reverse of the new $5 to honor events at the Lincoln Memorial that helped to shape our history and our democracy and prominent individuals involved in those events, including Marian Anderson, Eleanor Roosevelt and Martin Luther King Jr.

The reverse of the new $20 will feature images of the White House and President Andrew Jackson.

In his letter, Secretary Lew noted that the Bureau of Engraving and Printing will work closely with the Federal Reserve to accelerate work on the new $20 and $5 notes, with the goal that all three new notes go into circulation as quickly as possible, consistent with security requirements.

https://www.treasury.gov/press-center/press-releases/Pages/jl0436.aspx

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Watch the new bill they do put her on be $0.60

I was reading about this about a month ago. Apparently Trump loves Jackson. Like a lot. So he doesn't want him replaced with Tubman, so, it's unlikely to go through, if his administration ends up making the desicion.

SeanC

I was reading about this about a month ago. Apparently Trump loves Jackson. Like a lot. So he doesn't want him replaced with Tubman, so, it's unlikely to go through, if his administration ends up making the desicion.

Demagogues love demagogues.

TalonJH

I really like the idea of using the obverse sides of the money to honor events and groups of people, actually. But Tubman doesn't make much sense with Jackson. There's no relation.

Sometimes feel like we should just ditch people entirely and put American landmarks on our money.

I'd be fine with that. Same thing came up in the first thread about the change.

Whompa02

Yeah i'm sure there's so many logistical feats in this.../s

It's a fucking piece of paper with a new face on it. Jesus christ.

Mahonay

Banned
White Supremacist administration doesn't want to put Harriot Tubman on the 20 dollar bill..

This is my shocked face.

mnannola

Mnuchin said the decision would be based on how to design the currency in a way that prevents counterfeiting, rather than whose portrait was on the bill.

In a recent Treasury study, Putin was found to have the best face to avoid counterfeiting.

Slayven

If they had any self awareness they would push this through and use it as " see he loves black people" counterpoints bothsides people love

Shadybiz

If they had any self awareness they would push this through and use it as " see he loves black people" counterpoints bothsides people love

Correct. And he can have a twofer and add it to his list of ACTUAL accomplishments (which at that point would total 1).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think in addition to underestimating Trump's likelihood of winning, career politicians underestimated Trump's willingness to meddle with routine ongoing business. It will be a very sad and unstable future for America if we need to begin treating every handover of power as tabula rasa.

Top Bottom