• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rep. Steve King (R) proposes legislation to block Harriet Tubman $20 bill change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Protein

Banned
http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/21/politics/harriet-tubman-20-bill-steve-king/index.html

Washington (CNN)An Iowa congressman has proposed legislation that would block Harriet Tubman from replacing President Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill.

Republican Rep. Steve King introduced an amendment to bar the Treasury Department from spending any funds to redesign paper money or coin currency.
If the amendment is enacted, it would nullify the Treasury Department's plans to replace the current image of Jackson on the $20 bill with a portrait of Tubman, one of the most prominent abolitionists for her work in the Underground Railroad during the Civil War. She would become the first black woman ever to appear on a U.S. banknote.
King's reason for introducing the amendment was not immediately clear, and his office did not immediately respond to a CNN request for comment.
Harriet Tubman will be face of the $20
According to The Huffington Post, which first reported the story, the Iowa Republican is hoping to attach his legislation to another bill that will authorize the Treasury Department's funding.

The Treasury Department announced in April that it would switch out Jackson for Tubman on the $20 bill.

King's reason for introducing the amendment was not immediately kkklear

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
King's reason for introducing the amendment was not immediately clear, and his office did not immediately respond to a CNN request for comment.

You gotta love these people. Can't even come up with some half-assed bullshit excuse for pulling a stunt like this before they go public with it.

Velcro Fly

can't wait to hear the excuse being that we are x amount in debt and that we shouldn't be spending money on that.

ReAxion

Hm, let's learn about Mr. King....

*heads on over to wikipedia*

Oh there's a section on racial profiling, wonder what that's about...

Steve King said on the floor of the House on June 14, 2010 that racial profiling is an important component of law enforcement: "Some claim that the Arizona law will bring about racial discrimination profiling. First let me say, Mr. Speaker, that profiling has always been an important component of legitimate law enforcement. If you can’t profile someone, you can’t use those common sense indicators that are before your very eyes. Now, I think it’s wrong to use racial profiling for the reasons of discriminating against people, but it’s not wrong to use race or other indicators for the sake of identifying people that are violating the law.

Well then.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Piece of shit.
This is why despite their flaws, democrats are much better than republicans and voting matters. It's not even close.

Protein

Banned
can't wait to hear the excuse being that we are x amount in debt and that we shouldn't be spending money on that.

GAoKavK.png

Phoenix

Hm, let's learn about Mr. King....

Steve King said on the floor of the House on June 14, 2010 that racial profiling is an important component of law enforcement: "Some claim that the Arizona law will bring about racial discrimination profiling. First let me say, Mr. Speaker, that profiling has always been an important component of legitimate law enforcement. If you can’t profile someone, you can’t use those common sense indicators that are before your very eyes. Now, I think it’s wrong to use racial profiling for the reasons of discriminating against people, but it’s not wrong to use race or other indicators for the sake of identifying people that are violating the law.

Well then.

LOL. That's not even logically consistent. Its wrong to use racial profile to discriminate against people, but you should use it to identify people that are violating the law. Thus race helps you identify people that are violating the law, that you are using racial profiling to discriminate against people.

Republicans have to obstruct everything they try to do, no matter what. Jackson needs to be replaced, never should have been put on their in the first place.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Not surprising coming from King. He's the least "Iowan" politician Iowa's ever produced. Dude just likes doing shit like this to keep himself relevant. I doubt they'll actually push it through.

Alucrid

Banned
i'm surprised he's not trying to change the $10 and $5 too. Lucretia Mott, Sojourner Truth, Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, and Alice Paul on the $10 and then Martin Luther King, Jr., Marian Anderson, and Eleanor Roosevelt on the $5.

i'm surprised he's not trying to change the $10 and $5 too. Lucretia Mott, Sojourner Truth, Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, and Alice Paul on the $10 and then Martin Luther King, Jr., Marian Anderson, and Eleanor Roosevelt on the $5.

I'm all for replacing the $20 but you leave Abraham Lincoln alone. Best president ever right next to FDR.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Can Obama veto this, if it somehow passes? Doubt that many Republicans would back this guy, not to mention Democrats.

antonz

Guy probably only carries hundreds, why is he so worked up about something he will never see?

come on now these are public servants. His wallets probably has a few Woodrow Wilsons maybe only a couple James Madisons if he is feeling cheap for the day

How are we going to afford the wall to keep all the brown people out if we have to print a bunch of pictures of some black lady? Think about it people.

SeanC

Well to him, he's just concerned that if you put Tubman on the $20 it ends up worth only $12.

You can't get those robes washed on just $12, guys.

Jonbo298

Between his antics and Grassley blocking supreme court nomination, I'm doing my part next election and voting them out. Joni Ernst is still in the watch pile.

Even if you don't care about better representation on money, having Jackson on the $20 is ridiculous. The guy crashed the economy because he didn't understand how bank notes worked.

Obviously, we should put his face on the bank notes. What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom