• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rep. Steve King (R) proposes legislation to block Harriet Tubman $20 bill change

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascii42

Currency is not somehow sacred. It has been changed for all sorts of trivial reasons.

Did you know that prior to the Cold War, 'God' was not actually on our money? Or that there have been multiple people on the 20 other than Tubman and there will be others after she is taken off?

Yep. They should change it back to Grover Cleveland so he could have non-consecutive terms on the $20.

Measley

I disagree with changing who's on any of our currencies, barring like... the $2 bill or something.

I wanted to defend that guy though but I clicked that twitter video and I just can't lol. If only he had limited his claim to United States history, then it would be defensible, but as it is he's just delusional and most certainly racist.

C'mon bro.....

FyreWulff

I disagree with changing who's on any of our currencies, barring like... the $2 bill or something.

But we've literally changed who's been on our currencies multiple times. The current faces are only a recent period of stability.

I wanted to defend that guy though but I clicked that twitter video and I just can't lol. If only he had limited his claim to United States history, then it would be defensible, but as it is he's just delusional and most certainly racist.

Nah, that still wouldn't be true.

teiresias

So much utterly wrong with this post, though I'm really interested to hear you tell me how little people of color and minorities have contributed to the United States.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I don't even know how you can defend being a Republican at this point. I'm just going to assume you're a shitty person and are a racist asshole if you support the GOP unless I'm given evidence to the contrary. It seems like all the people I though were ok are coming out of their woodwork this election with coded racism but refusing to admit they're racist.

ascii42

So much utterly wrong with this post, though I'm really interested to hear you tell me how little people of color and minorities have contributed to the United States.

Well, it depends on what he's arguing. Steve King seems to make two distinct assertions here. The first seems to be that only white people have made contributions. The second is that white people have made more than any other people.

Slayven

I don't even know how you can defend being a Republican at this point. I'm just going to assume you're a shitty person and are a racist asshole if you support the GOP unless I'm given evidence to the contrary. It seems like all the people I though were ok are coming out of their woodwork this election with coded racism but refusing to admit they're racist.

They are so cartoonishly evil.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I agree with the guy causing the thread derail, only US presidents should be on currency, just like how it currently is today and how it's always been.

GAoKavK.png

The seats in a single fighter jet probably cost more than putting HT on the 20.

Volimar

I agree with the guy causing the thread derail, only US presidents should be on currency, just like how it currently it today and how it's always been.

Can't believe this. If president Franklin were alive today what would he think?

The seats in a single fighter jet probably cost more than putting HT on the 20.

Isn't this coinciding with the regularly scheduled facelift that our money routinely gets?

mcrommert

Banned

Well its not hard...actually believing in conservative ideals and being an actual Christian is a good starting point

Volimar

Well its not hard...actually believing in conservative ideals and being an actual Christian is a good starting point

At some point you have to reckon with all the bad. Have the courage of your convictions and distance yourself from that toxic party.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Steve King is a terrible goddamm person and I wish people in my state would get their heads out of their asses and stop voting for him.

KRod-57

Banned
I wonder if there was this much fuss when they made the decision to remove Grover Cleveland from the $20. Though I should note that Jackson isn't being removed from the $20, but is being moved to the back of the bill

hawk2025

Your post history is going places.

Very interesting.

Note what you actually said: You wanted to defend someone saying this before you had even heard it. Ever wonder why?

I hope they accelerate the timetable. I'd like to have a Tubman in my hand before the nation switches off paper currency pls thx.

EDIT:

"As much as she did, she didn't change the course of history," King said.

SLAP THIS MOTHAFUCKA ON LIVE TV, PLEASE

Isn't this coinciding with the regularly scheduled facelift that our money routinely gets?

Yes. That person probably collected all the new quarters and loved the new money designs that have been put out over the last decade but all of a sudden want gets fiscally responsible when its time to put a black face on the money.

Cyan

Banned
I agree with the guy causing the thread derail, only US presidents should be on currency, just like how it currently is today and how it's always been.

Still too broad tbh. Let's make it so only US presidents who were slave owners can be on currency. So the 1, 2, 20, and 50 are safe, but we'll need to find someone new to put on the 5. Maybe Madison. And it can be worth $3.

You know, I think race relations in the United States are somewhat different today than what they were before. There's obviously diet racism, but misconceptions and stereotypes come out and get reinforced from people just not encountering a particularly diverse set of people in their everyday lives. It's more of a situational and/or cultural issue that makes race relations tough in modern US.

But this motherfucker, this Steve King, he's an old school racist. Not the "why can't they just get jobs?" racist, but the "these people are genetically inferior" eighteenth-century slave-owning and trading white supremacist. It's quite the sight to behold, although also quite scary that a troglodyte such as he actually holds public office and has an audience.

Tigress

You know even if you supported them blocking the currency from being changed to having a black woman (my god the horrors /s) on it or honestly truly did think we shouldn't be spending money on it, this bill is incredibly short sighted. So basically he wants to block them from changing the currency design saying they can't spend money to do so. So when counterfeiters find ways to counterfeit the current bills (and they will) this bill will make it so they can't change the design to address that.

Personal I'm pissed Andrew Jackson is still on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom